Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about world map.  (Read 1415 times)

skeightmachine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about world map.
« on: September 10, 2006, 06:14:00 pm »

What is the difference between the + * and # towns on the world map. the all seem to be the exact same size with the same shops. I checked the in game help but cant find a thing. Anyone have any Ideas?

ravensword227

• Bay Watcher
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
Re: Question about world map.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 07:42:00 pm »

Each of those are human settlements.  Though I'm not sure what the difference between + and * is, I believe that # is a human capital.  Yes, the elements in all the towns is virtually identical at this point in development.
Dumed Zustashlorbam, Fisherdwarf cancels Fish: Interrupted by Skeletal hammerhead shark.

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 09:43:00 pm »

I think that bigger looking symboles for a city mean it has more people in it, at least thats the way it seems.
The # sign might mean its a capital... I think they can be others to, but i'm not sure. Also the capital deffinatly does not always have the biggest population.

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 08:04:00 am »

In the same idea : what are the differences between the n and big n on the world map ? The different kind of trees... Are the just Eye candy (like the different looking grass and stone) or do they really differ ?

Frogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 09:26:00 am »

I'm pretty sure # doesn't mean it's the capital, because I've seen capitals that look like pluses.

I've also seen one of those masterwork stars representing a town, but only once.

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 10:07:00 am »

Yeah, in my world there are a few of those masterwork star towns... I try to avoid them if I can because theyhave TONS! of people in them they are by far the largest towns, and the game runs much slower because of all those people.
Also it takes much longer to save eveything because its gotta save all those people.

Abyssal Squid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 10:40:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by flap:
<STRONG>In the same idea : what are the differences between the n and big n on the world map ? The different kind of trees... Are the just Eye candy (like the different looking grass and stone) or do they really differ ?</STRONG>

On a similar note, what's the deal with blue, cyan, and magenta areas?  Are they areas with a different evil level, with blue and cyan being Good, and purple and magenta areas being Evil?

skeightmachine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 12:00:00 pm »

I just went to a town and talked to a guild representative, he said his capital city was "far to the west" and "had a large keep". I went to said town, it was just a normal asterisk * town with normal buildings. The only difference was that it had a large square structure with a nice floor. A hammer lord was inside and was able to hand out quests. Also there were stairs to the upper level, which was empty. Nothing too speical about this 'capital' city.

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 05:11:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Abyssal Squid:
<STRONG>

what's the deal with blue, cyan, and magenta areas?  Are they areas with a different evil level, with blue and cyan being Good, and purple and magenta areas being Evil?</STRONG>

I belive that is exactly it.
If you have a swamp and its blue, its probobly named somthing like, The Peaceful Swamp of Love.(good) Or its purple and named, The Stupid Swamp of Stabbing(A place of great evil!)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 11:02:00 pm »

I thought blueish/cyan areas were icy cold.

Also purple totally = monsters and evil oh gosh help

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 09:43:00 am »

Yeah, now that I looked again cold/frozen is also blue/cyan but they also have their own type of tile, but if a place is blue or cyan and is not a frozen/cold tile then it is good/blessed.

[ September 12, 2006: Message edited by: Gedsaro ]