Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to make an adventure training facility (Fortress to Adventure mode)  (Read 1830 times)

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile

Hello all,

I like to alternate between Adventure Mode and Fortress Mode, and the idea came to me to use Fortress Mode to build an adventurer training facility. But to be honest, I’m a total newbie with Adventure Mode.

What would be the best (or most fun ;) ) way to train adventurers in a fortress? Do traps and pressure plates treat adventurers as friendly or are they as dangerous to adventurers as to enemies?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 04:30:42 am by DrCyano »

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
Come witness the Saga of the Puzzling Sea!
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to make an adventure training facility (Fortress to Adventure mode)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2022, 04:44:12 am »

Do traps and pressure plates treat adventurers as friendly or are they as dangerous to adventurers as to enemies?
Dangerous, except cage traps, though it's configurable:
Quote from: d_init.txt
Set this to NO if you do not want traps to affect you in adventure mode.  Cage traps are always disabled for now.

[ADVENTURER_TRAPS:YES]

The best way might be to set up a normal fortress with a military with training barracks, retire the fortress, then start the adventurers there as hearthpersons, then retire them and unretire the fortress, then let them train as part of the military and/or send them on missions.

(Or use DFHack's unretire-anyone to play as what ever military the fort already has.)
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Re: How to make an adventure training facility (Fortress to Adventure mode)
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2022, 09:10:04 pm »

Training my adventurer in Fortress Mode is a bit boring. Can I train armor and dodging as an adventurer using a trap hall full of wooden weapon traps? And how can I train up disguising under a false name so I can sneak into a goblin controlled fortress without having to fight the whole population?

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
Come witness the Saga of the Puzzling Sea!
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.