Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weapon Training  (Read 2583 times)

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Weapon Training
« on: August 27, 2022, 09:17:06 pm »

Hi all,

What is the best way to train up weapon skills as an adventurer who is presently so weak that he couldn’t defeat a beach crab?

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
Come witness the Saga of the Puzzling Sea!
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon Training
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2022, 11:18:23 pm »

To safely train weapon skills one really should first train the defensive skills; armor user, shield user, dodging, and observer. This of course requires armor and a shield; these days it's easiest to just start with them. Observer can be slow to train, so I usually start with several levels and a few levels of the others and which ever weapon skill.

Then it's a matter of finding some one with their own weapon to train with; but you don't want them to be more skilled or much larger than you. Goblins do nicely. Once you've found them, there's two ways to train weapon skills.

First is by parrying their attacks in the Aim an attack menu; this will train the the skill used for the weapon used to parry, while minimizing the odds of taking damage. After you parry each attack, wait with . until the A menu shows another attack coming. Using . (period) to pass time seems to stop as soon as you can observe an attack is incoming; there's also , (comma) to only pass one tick if you want to be certain, but that will take a few presses.

Second is by using the multi-attack system available when Aiming an attack, doing as many attacks as possible makes each attack weaker and thus less likely to kill your sparring partner. But this runs the risk of taking damage, especially if their weapon skill is better than your defensive skills.

Or you could make a wooden training weapon with the limited crafting currently available and use that to avoid killing them, but that limits you to the sword, spear, and axe skills. You might even make two and giv one to your victimsparring partner, but these days they'll probably just try to run away if they aren't already military trained.

Now, there are a few ways to gain a combat advantage over an opponent. A prone opponent suffers combat penalties, so you can try to make it so they can't stand any more. A nauseous opponent too, so you can try attacks to their lower body. Finally, a winded opponent, by attacking the upper body, but that lead to them suffocating.

There are other ways, of course, but some of them are exploity and therefor not best, and there's training in fort mode but you already declined that option.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2022, 12:28:43 am »

To train the defensive skills (as well as wrestling), you should seek out Master Limulus.  His dojo is located near the ocean.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2022, 03:47:07 pm »

Thanks for the advice!

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2022, 02:09:13 am »

I’ve outfitted my adventurer in full steel armor and steel shield, plus a cloak and battle axe made of the divine metal, and I’m able to train up dodge by just picking a fight with a dingo and spamming . but I never see parry as an option in the Aim menu. I do see the incoming attacks listed, so I thought my observer skill was high enough. Can you not parry with an axe (and shield), or do I need even higher observer ship to be allowed to parry?

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2022, 03:12:29 pm »

Sorry, I neglected to mention that you can only parry weapon attacks (and most dingos don't carry weapons). Quick multi-attacks with the slap and pommel strike will train the axe skill while being less likely to kill the opponent. Once you hav some weapon skill you can find an unskilled armed opponent to train with by parrying their weapon attacks. You could also make a wooden training weapon and giv that to a civilian and then attack them, if you're careful not to hurt them you may be able to keep the conflict level low, or they might just run away.

Edit: or as mentioned in the other thread, you could make a training axe and train with that.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 08:44:41 pm by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2022, 10:40:28 pm »

I see, thanks!

I’ve danced with dingos to the point of being untouchable and now I’m parrying a bandit who’s wielding an iron spear to train my axe skills.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2022, 04:27:39 pm »

Something to note (just an offhand observation relevant to the thread): fighting zombies will not raise weapon/unarmed combat skills. I'm not sure why this is, unless it's just a bug, but I've noticed it several times. Zombies can, however, train your defensive skills: dodging, shield use, armor use (probably Fighter as well? since that's trained by defense as well as offense).
Not sure if this applies to intelligent undead, though I suspect it doesn't.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2022, 12:16:51 pm »

Human outsider can start with cave blob for 26 points. Cave blobs won't be knocked out with exertion but still suffer it. Touching them also inflicts very slowly accumulating pain poison. It can knock you out but never kill or damage. Poison healed upon unloading map (waiting, sleeping, fast travel). If you can find some armor, it's attacks should never cause you to bleed or kill you. As usual it helps to have some means of being immune to exertion yourself, like necromancy or vampirism, SUPER HELPFUL WITH GRINDING OF DODGE.

Cave blob cannot be used for offensive skill use safely, even wrestling is annoying. You can issue order for it to stay in area and wait for you.
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2022, 06:55:41 pm »

Hi all,

What is the best way to train up weapon skills as an adventurer who is presently so weak that he couldn’t defeat a beach crab?

Best way is:

-figure out how macros work, you need them.

-grab a small animal and train the defense skills up by punching ............................... letting it furiously attack you. crabs are fine, it also works with birds like crows or squirrels or chicken. as long as it's small it's fine.

-when the animal passes out you train wrestling by grabbing it. you change the combat preferences with C to cose combat. Then stand next to the animal and hit the arrow pointing to the animal a gazilion times, each time you hit the button it's a grab and some xp.

-get a couple of shitty weapons to use as training weapons (they will get worn out, and it's a shame to waste a steel weapon on that.)

-find a training partner, the best is 4 armored goblins. You can chase the * on the map, some of them are groups of goblins.

-break the legs of 4 goblins so they can't work and gouge their eyes put so they don't fight back. Afther this, strike them on an armored part with the weapon untill you reach legendary. Be carefull to not make them bleed!

-you need 4 goblins because they get so exhausted from being struck that they pass out, and you only get xp for striking conscious foes. so when they pass out, you switch to a wake goblin.

-you really need macros for this part, and do like 25 strikes each time you start the macro.

Note btw you train the goblins also, so if you leave them alive, they'll heal up and their eyes weirdly regrow, meaning you now unleash 4 super-strong goblins with uber defensive skills upon the world.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 07:00:53 pm by Orange-of-Cthulhu »