Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Solutions to the Fermi Paradox  (Read 1885 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Solutions to the Fermi Paradox
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2022, 02:43:20 am »

Maybe Novel is a chatbot in human form.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2022, 04:00:46 pm »

Maybe Novel is a chatbot in human form.
That tracks

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2022, 07:03:02 pm »

No offense to either, but I have often wondered what would happen if we introduced Naturegirl to Scoops.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2022, 10:07:47 am »

No offense to either, but I have often wondered what would happen if we introduced Naturegirl to Scoops.

I can certainly imagine.

"Oh hi have you been here before?"

"Was I? Back in the 80's they would ask questions like that, but the more important thing is that how exactly such a question came to be!"

"I find this very interesting."
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2022, 04:07:26 pm »

Bit OOTL here, who's naturegirl?
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2022, 04:30:34 pm »

I feel slightly uncomfortable when they are talked about like that in the third person. be it NS or NG

NG is a rly cool visitor who was very active at some point, and who was very curious and asked a lot of questions, sometimes bordering on the naive, sometimes a little impervious to humor and our little puns and in-jokes. And I sincerely hope the reason she shows so occasionally is because she is just busy as hell kicking ass, and not because we did one joke too many at her expense, I like her around.
let

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2022, 05:30:37 pm »

Yeah. Also, beware being the talked-about, I guess.
One wheel short of a wagon

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2022, 06:01:28 pm »

In this case I meant it in the sense of missing the conversation of that particular member of the forum.  We miss them!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2022, 06:03:00 pm »

Naturegirl1999 showed up a couples years back and became a pretty active member of the forum.
She’s relevant here because she made a number of rather enthusiastic threads and posts praising/advocating AI rights and the like.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2022, 06:29:35 pm »

She is great company. Instantly endearing and relaxing to be around.

She is just a Bay forumite like us that's all.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2022, 02:37:24 am »

You know, I bet you guys would never had guessed that Naturegirl seems to really like nature.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2022, 04:40:04 am »

You know, I bet you guys would never had guessed that Naturegirl seems to really like nature.

No shit, Sherlock.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2022, 05:23:40 am »

Because it came to mind as apt to mention...
  • they're here, but they stay quiet / only allow themselves to be photographed in blurred images
https://xkcd.com/1235/
https://xkcd.com/2572/ (...because https://xkcd.com/2573/ ...)

But this is just because I decided to finally pop my head up above the parapet about the presumptions of AI being at all involved: i.e. Why do we assume aliens pursue (and achieve) AI and not whatever is the alien equivelent of transhumanism? Even unto a further continuing process of Ascension, perhaps eventually to answer The Final Question if everyone who gets there can agree to pool their resources.

A possibly justified fear of being left behind/outvoted by their subsequent self-replicating AI personalities requires them to deliberately self-limit their aspirations to 'only' personal (aspirational-)immortalities. With the caveat of something like the [https://www.quora.com/If-a-matter-transporter-of-the-Star-Trek-variety-were-feasible-ignoring-Heisenberg-would-the-transported-individual-be-an-identical-copy-of-the-original-and-the-original-destroyed]transporter[/url] paradox of needing to destroy to (re-)establish anew as a Recreated Intelligence. Or, if done in stages, in the light of Trigger's Broom/Ship Of Thesus philosophising (with a Trek example, albeit averted).

The question is then whether RIs would/could/might replicate (sexually/asexually, in whatever terms of 'bio'genetic). Have they even developed the means to grow 'offspring' personalities, given they have avoided (or failed to perfect) AI-growing methodology, despite their comparative RI 'successes'? One would assume it (if it happens) involves some sort of a 'spark' of their parent('s|s') original personalit(y|ies), if the corporeal containers are no longer an issue, but... Why? They have reasonably secured their personal legacy already, and having already decided that (potentially) self-replicating AIs are a troublesome addition to their continued existence, child-RIs are now perhaps more trouble than they are worth under most circumstances.

(...and less than perfect experiments in personality transfer/spawning might explain something of... certain personalities here. Perhaps they're trying to infill gaps in their personae and experiential 'database'.)

Or any AI (or indeed RI) just has fully considered the situation and has no personal interest in anything other than their currently provided domain or (perhaps) self-imposed sandboxes. (Further thought-experiment: What if the ascended-aliens think they are outgoing and exploring? Or intentionally confine themselves 'safely' while comparatively inert probes augment their artificial realities with sufficient real-universe data. Time is now no object, and experiential time can be throttled back/adjusted to convenient levels that don't require conspicuous real-time communication or entropy-spewing emulative hardware... And may even be a practical limitation freely accepted.)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2022, 03:39:47 am »

You could also just pour water on it.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2022, 03:59:42 am »

Do not watercool it will overclock itself unless you want a quicker death.
let
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4