Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for drawing advice  (Read 2986 times)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Looking for drawing advice
« on: August 29, 2022, 07:19:50 am »

So I've wanted to draw for ages and ages and ages, it's one of my biggest, longest lasting ambitions, but although I've finally managed to get into the habit of drawing every day, I'm still a long, long way from getting there. Every single person I talk to has said some variation of "Draw what you enjoy" when I ask what I should focus on, but that's incredibly, incredibly unhelpful. If I want to improve my skill at drawing, what topics and subjects and skills should I focus on? Shadows, perspective, life drawings, or something else entirely? If there is any advice, anything at all, youse might have, I'd desperately appreciate it.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for drawing advice
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 11:35:40 pm »

Small story time.

Always liked to draw and doodle. Haven't done any since college. I'm sitting in a business meeting with a notepad and paper and start doodling a little. Couple dumb shields because they're nice easy geometric shapes that you can do various things with. I start drawing a sword but the line doesn't work so I turn it into the start of an alternating shading pattern thing, and do that for a bit.

I start again with...I'm not really sure what. But it's basically an arc-line. Then I make it into a vaguely crescent moon shape and it occurs to me that the line I took looks exactly like the Rune Arc from Elden Ring. So I finalize the shape on it, then just briefly sketch out the shape of Marika hanging from it, starting with the arms, hands and head and moving down to the torso and legs. And over the course of the next hour just add little touches and fills there and by the end of the meeting....voila, I have this nice little 5 inch Marika Hanging From The Rune Arc sketch. I haven't drawn anything with a pencil in probably 15 years, and yet this thing I did came out pretty nice by my standards!

---

There's lots of ways you can choose to approach it. If "draw what you like/find your inspiration" doesn't work for you, then do what most artists do: studies. Pick a technique. Experiment with it. Work on it. Make something with it. Perspective studies. Stipling. Shading. Cross-hatch. Portraits. Weird geometric shapes that built off each other in layers. Replicate the art style of someone you really admire. (I did Dragonball Z....and Catholic Stained Glass art.)

Because you can have your subject, and your technique that you render the subject with. Those are two pretty empirical things. The third part of the is the creative spark that makes it your's, the way your brain processes lines and angles and ideas. That's something you just start expressing over time, it's the way your stuff naturally starts to look. Even as you get better that look to your art will stay with it unless you deliberately try to conceal it.

It's like....comparing a super technical Wildlife study with a free-form abstract illustration. Drawing is so broad that people's default go to answer of "draw what you like" is really the easiest answer they can give. It's a question you gotta answer: what kind of art do you want to make? What look do you want to achieve? Technical mastery? A unique style? Some people's "style" is taking all the technical details and schooled techniques and throwing them out the window.

So when people say "draw what you like" I interpret that as "draw something you get invested in." Maybe that's a better answer. If you don't get inspired trying to do comic book-like art, do a rigid study of an apple in half light. Try different things until something, some look, some style, some vision grabs a hold of your brain and you feel compelled to draw and finish it.

It's not always easy to get inspired. Especially when it feels like work. But that's why I think doodles are so important. As a thing you're doing during work or school to keep your brain engaged (and possibly relieve boredom) doodles can surprise you for how good something you half focused on is, and how it inspires you to go back in, make it better, make better lines, shade, etc....So even if you're not going to "draw a thing every day", doodle every day. Try to draw a complete tree that is only 4x2 inches on the page. Draw a piece of fruit. Draw a landscape on a postcard. Make a quick character sketch. A half-turned face. A spooky skull. A leaf.

Or just draw swords and shapes until the muse finds you, like I do.

Really just play. You can be studious and look up techniques for drawing and apply them to a series of studies.....or you can just play. I'm not a musician and so when musicians "just play" for fun it's like a magic trick to me. That something like that just comes spontaneously, practice or not. Drawing can seem the same way, but there I get the idea of "playing around until something cool happens." Drawing was one of those things I just did, unprompted and unguided as a kid, because it's something I enjoyed. I think if you can find the fun and spontaneity that drawing offers, you'll find there's more ideas to draw than hours or hands to draw them.

That's really the thing: fun and interest. I really had a good time on my Marika sketch. I pleased myself with it. You're approaching the art from "I want to get good at it", and that's understandable. But don't forget to have fun with it! Don't get so hung up on the how or what you lose sight of that.

Go read up on some techniques, think back to animated or illustrated things you've enjoyed and come up with an idea to play with, an idea to go chase. "What if Mickey Mouse, but I draw their character edgy-anime style, and then make the whole thing look like a 70s album cover with hard silhouettes."
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 12:04:06 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2022, 08:24:43 am »

... Thank you. I think that might be what I needed to hear. Thank you.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2022, 04:51:52 am »

OK let's GO

So I've wanted to draw for ages and ages and ages, it's one of my biggest, longest lasting ambitions, but although I've finally managed to get into the habit of drawing every day; I'm still a long, long way from getting there.

Keep in mind that every step you take gets you closer to your goal, in every direction you take that step. The more you draw, the better you draw.

Every single person I talk to has said some variation of "Draw what you enjoy" when I ask what I should focus on, but that's incredibly, incredibly unhelpful.

It is a good advice, but here is why you are getting this advice : learning how to draw is incredibly discouraging when you start and don't know what to do. The failure rate of fledgling artists is fueled by discouragement. By making art something you enjoy, you are preserving your stamina and getting a kick out of it. Sure it's not the most deep advice you'll receive, it's something I do recommend you do.

I've been drawing Mong Kima for years now, I started with absolute shit drawings, now it's becoming halfay decent. Enjoying the journey through and through has been a recquirement for improvement.

If I want to improve my skill at drawing, what topics and subjects and skills should I focus on? Shadows, perspective, life drawings, or something else entirely? If there is any advice, anything at all, youse might have, I'd desperately appreciate it.

There is a couple things you pretty much need to know and cannot really guess : anatomy, perspective and (optionally) color theory. Anatomy is probably the most important depending on what you want to draw, but it is also impoortant you teach your brain to think in 3D, which is a skill that comes with experience.

Else, a couple fun activities you may perform : draw from photos from time to time, do not copy other peoples drawing (it teaches you jack shit and gives you a false impression of your skill growth) watch and listen to tutorials every now and then (it has to be done regularly but not take precedence over your own practice). Knowing the mirror trick is also a good help. You may ask for feedback too, it may help too.

Edit : OH AND : the best advice I wish someone told me right at the start

Accept the fact that you will draw like shit for a couple years. Just start from the mental point that you draw like shit and will not impress anyone with art for a very long time. Everyone starts from zero and you will not be an exception. Trust me, it will save you a lot of time, angst, and effort.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 04:55:50 am by Cathar »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2022, 06:39:07 am »

Thank you, Cathar, I really appreciate the advice, would you know of where might be good to start if one wanted to study anatomy, or any good tutorials or whatnot?
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2022, 06:45:12 am »

The best thing you can do is to google medical muscle anatomy, and just doodle what you see. You'll notice that muscles, more often than not, fit into each others like legos. Try to get familiar with that, it will be useful to you pretty much forever

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2022, 03:28:05 pm »

do not copy other peoples drawing (it teaches you jack shit and gives you a false impression of your skill growth)

I disagree here. What is a study if not just copying something someone else already did? Again, if you want to draw LIKE someone, you copy what they do. And I don't think studying Akira Toriyama's style hurt my growth. It helped me understand their ideas about perspective, musculature, eyes (because anime.) I took those lessons and started creating and refining my own stuff.

Like you said, everything you do helps, even if it's "copying." Now, when you say copying, I hope you don't mean tracing. Because that is functionally useless. But free hand imitation does teach you stuff.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 04:34:31 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2022, 02:28:06 am »

I mean, yes but it's not best practice. It's better to start drawing from reality, then stylize than doing the other way around. You'll miss fundamentals and you will have to catch them up sooner or later.

But yeah any art is better than no art

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2022, 07:30:21 pm »

Drawing for other people has been helpful for me.  Some family have made requests for paintings, and I typically don't ever paint, aside from the occasional paint & sip events, but agreeing to requests pushes me outside my comfort zone.  Also, anatomy is probably the hardest thing to get to look proper.  For living creatures, I generally find a few reference images with the subject roughly in the pose I want to create, and go from there.  Mostly, I prefer to draw scenery, buildings, machines, and abstract things.  If I were good at drawing living beings, I'd probably draw more of them.  So for me, my drawing odyssey has taken me mostly along what I've been good at, with me pushing at the boundaries occasionally.  I start with light sketches, a big eraser, and try to get the basic proportions and expressions looking acceptable before adding more detail.

The process of creating a piece of art usually takes far longer than I hope.  It's fine to have something simmering on the back burner for a long time, occasionally adding to it when inspiration strikes.  A sketch pad is handy for such things.  Also, it's nice to see what you've already drawn, which can inspire other drawings. 

I don't do as much drawing as I did in the past, but I still make it a point to doodle every day.  If you have a calendar with some space for the days, a little doodle of what stood out to you in that day is usually a good challenge.  How to create symbology, how to condense big ideas into a small space, and expressions with stick figures all translate well into more substantial drawings when you get the opportunity. 

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2022, 02:03:15 pm »

There are a lot of "the basics" to learn, but drawing people is one that seems the most skipped over. People have different body types, hair, and faces. People should look different, while all being drawn in the same style. You'd be surprised how often I see (even professional) comics where the art style, especially eyes, changes from one panel to the next. It's nearly as bad as everyone looking identical.

Edit: and also, draw something you enjoy drawing. Then you're improving your skills for yourself, so you can do the thing you enjoy better.

Edit2: I found an illustration of someone's advice. A lot of the advice I find seems to be "the more obsessed you are about something, the more motivation it gives you to draw, or do whatever you're using it to motivate yourself to do."
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 02:13:41 pm by Iduno »