Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: NPC monster radar. Sound and combat spam.  (Read 1084 times)

Telok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
NPC monster radar. Sound and combat spam.
« on: September 11, 2006, 09:39:00 am »

Often when I'm adventuring I find that my NPC allies can see things through walls and even floors and celings. It's worst in caves when they all rush off out of sight in two moves. Then the combat messages start. I have no idea where these guys are, but I know exactly who is being hit by what. I often find the scene of the combat later, usually several rooms away but sometimes on other levels as well.

The worst part about it is these guys tendency to wander around after that inital combat. I've lost several adventurers when the six man team gets broken up in the rush to kill a mudman or a kobold on another level and leaves thier glorious leader behind. It's a real killer because then they tend to encounter the giant/hydra/elite archer one at a time, and die one at a time. Of course I didn't bring a six man team to clear out the local mudman nest, I brought them to help with that big nasty as a group. Armok knows that certianly can't handle things as individuals, no matter how much they like to try.

What I'd like to see implemented to help with this is a sound/listening system similar to the "glowing eyes" method of seeing things in caves. Flashing dots or x symbols of various colors could signal things beyond the limited sight range but close enough to be heard. You could even adjust the interval of the flashing to how much noise the critter made. Batmen and ratmen could be intermittant flashes, only one flash every 40 seconds or so, since they don't make much noise. Since giants aren't exactly renowned for thier stealth they could flash at the normal rate used for the status/effect symbols.

Just a suggestion. But the NPCs all rushing off at something three rooms away or on another level that I can't even find is annoying.

skeightmachine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NPC monster radar. Sound and combat spam.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 12:05:00 pm »

Pretty good idea about the listening thing. I like the glowy eyes when entering a kobold fortress. It would be pretty cool to have some kind of listening thing similar.

One of my biggest problems I have is having my followers run off and kill everything. I have had them for a while so they have grown pretty powerful and I have problems of them running amok in dungeons. I hardly have anything to kill anymore. It would be pretty cool to assign formations where you can keep your followers in check or you can let them loose. I would definately keep them very close to me as meatshields from pesky archers  :)

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 05:19:00 pm »

I think the thing with your guys running off on you is because, currently(and I my be wrong) they and monsters sight ranges are not affected by how much light, or lack of it, there is. So basicly, you can see a couple of spaces in a cave... they can see stright down the hall to the big evil cyclops.

One of the ways I handle them running off and killing eveything is to only hire 1 or 2 guys.
The first thing I usually do with new adventurers is find a ruin and wrestle skeletons and zombies till I get really high skills with it. Now I'm a lot harder to hit so I don't need so many guys with me, now they are there mostly to gaourd my ass if I accidently go to sleep instead of attack...

My current guy has no problem going into a cave finding the Minotar wacking him once with his sword, cutting the monster in half and sending it flying against the wall!   :)

Sturmrabe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 06:55:00 pm »

I am having the same exact problem, even with one or two guys...

The worst part is the combat spam rides over everything and blinds me, there should be a window for that..

But agree 100% with combat formations... I liked the way Fallout had it set up with henchmen, there should be something like that here...

I'm tired of my henchmen running off and aggroing an assload of creatures and getting me and themselves killed...

PvK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 03:20:00 pm »

The "C"enter command centers the view on your guy and clears the action reports from the map, without taking any game time.