Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Here are the options i see so far

A - Play and keep letting Avolition pray, perhaps he will pray everyone into nothingness
- 4 (57.1%)
B - Reclaim, let a new health group reclaim and attempt again. Learning from the mistakes of the past if they aren't killed by the monsters of the past first
- 0 (0%)
C - Seal the Vault door and start anew elsewhere, who knows what this fort will do if left unsupervised
- 3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Cellbound the Prison of Death- A fort of many challenges  (Read 7772 times)

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
Cellbound the Prison of Death- A fort of many challenges
« on: September 02, 2022, 06:36:17 pm »

Cellbound the Prison of Death- A fort of many challenges

After reading about 10,000 Dwarf FPS challenge, i decided to take on this challenge. But i also want to do more, gonna also try and get The most skilled dwarf. But why stop there, i want more challenges more goals. Also want to be dwarfed into this insane asylum for necromancer dwarves, post and it shall be done.

Current Challenges:
  • 10,000 Dwarves with more than 10 fps
  • A dwarf with all the skills
  • Get all three slabs in the world
  • Get the ingame year to the current year

Approach
Whilst not smallest, i choose these setup conditions as i want it to be entirely Fortress mod, so no adventurer learning secrets and coming back. I choose a medium world with max sites, to ensure towers spawned. Whilst some other sites are heavily populated around I don't think that they will be a lag issue but if they are somehow i will just have to manually clear them with dwarves. For embark, i have choosen the smallest size which, honestly is a different experience as i tend to run massive embarks so il have to be careful with space.

The plan is to split the dwarves into different groups:
  • Scholars, immortal once we get necromancy will fill the library with endless volumes of knowledge. Mainly because I like libraries and will be interesting to document history.
  • Regs, normal non immortal dwarfs who will run the day to day running of the fort. Once we reach numbers to high enough to bring our fps to 10, the library will open up to them to make them necromancers. (Keeping no necromancers nearby as to avoid an undead kea somehow killing 7 dwarves and causing a riot)
  • Necromancers
  • Warriors, who will continue to fight even when they become necromancers. Will be the fighting force that will raid the world for more books and treasures.

Once a dwarf is a Necromancer they will be placed in a 1x1 cell and bridged in, the reason for the bridges is, to secure contianment and to get the most out of their strange moods, not turning down free treasure.

About the world
The Enchanted Planes, a world once ruled by the three primordial powers. It is said in the time before time, these three powers came together to shape the world. First came Palath Parchedbranded the Sweltering Furnaces the dragon. His breath was said to have birthed the sun and warm the core of the earth. Then came Mishos Cavesnake the Foggy, his wings created great gusts that cooled The Enchanted Planes and formed the sky. Finally came Abusps Skinseed the Jungles of Packing, the forest titan, said to have walked land and giving to the world. The three powers would weaken over time as they invested more energy into the world they had created. As this was happening the powers of civilization grew. The first to fall was the dragon in 16 by the hands of dwarves defending themselves in a hillock that has now been abandoned and mostly forgotten. The next was the roc who finally fell to the goblin Atu Poisongifted, a crafty warrior who after a few encounters did the deed. He was praised as a hero for felling the 2nd primodial and was sent out to fell the last. However, the goblin was defeated and we still in the year 1050 remain in the age of Abusp Skinseed the Jungle of Packing.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 07:07:15 pm by AvolitionBrit »
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
Re: Cellbound the Prison of Death- A fort of many challenges
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2022, 06:36:57 pm »

Year Summarys
World before the forts founding - Save

1050 -Fort was founded, first migrant waves and basics set up - Save
1501 - First vists from elfs and humans, more migrants, the weregoat and our first eternal tomb - Save
1502 - Reached a triple digit pop and raided a few abandoned forts- Save
1503 - Became necromancers, started immprisonment and sunless children - Save
1504 - Cleared a necromancer sights on the next one- Save
1505 - Two Massive iron vault doors are put on the entrance - Save
1056 - The Giant dies and the undead rise - Save
1057 - Riots and insanity - Save
1058 - Release in many ways - Save
1059 - The Cyclops and the baby - Save
1060  - Ten Years of Madness - Save
1061  - Left to rot - Save
1062  - Ghosts and Prayer - Save
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 03:58:47 pm by AvolitionBrit »

Drunken scholar

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2022, 08:06:48 pm »

1050 Report

This place is perfect, a fine place for a fortress. We quickly built a wooden wall around us to secure us from threats outside.

Once this we focused on the production of food and drink as well as rooms. The library that i plan to work out of hasn't been built yet but the room is slowly being dug out. I have kept myself busy with smoothing our new tavern.

Additionally three of our many visiting bards have expressed interest in joining, both accepted as they become fixtures in The Silvery Tummy. Two humans and a goblin. They have certainly made the tavern more lively as i still work on smoothing out the place.

The fort as a whole has really started to take shape, we have even had two migrant waves this year. During one of them we had a strange fellow show up.

Fikod Mastermirror was interesting, the old timer looked on the cusp of death. Aged and haggered in appearance but moved with the energy of a 40 year old. Turns out he was undead, so necromancer had risen him from his grave as a lost slayer, he is certainly lost. A dwarf out of his time, outlived his all sixteen of his children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, several generations of his bloodline which is still going strong to this day.

Not that he really cares.

He seems to make a great manager and has expressed interest in joining the library upon completion. Appearently he was Astronomer for a hundred years.

In this year we have produced our first artifact. A birchen toy axe.

Not exactly great but it was rather wholesome to see that Ilral Bridgedpoints was inspired to create this for her son.

May we rise and Fall together
Spoiler: Head Scholar Avolition (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 08:24:47 pm by AvolitionBrit »

Drunken scholar

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2022, 11:27:13 pm »

may Armok be with you

If only DF had a 'fast forward' setting where you might ignore announcements and events and simply let the months pass

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2022, 03:01:11 am »

Wish you luck on your quest.

Also I'll take a dwarf.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2022, 03:49:24 am »

I wonder, will there even be enough space, top to bottom of the world, to fit ten thousand dwarves, along with all the other necessities of the fortress, on a 1x1 embark? Also, won't the mass usage of levers linked to drawbridges by itself slow down the FPS? Or does that just not? I suspect as this challenge goes on, we'll discover many things related to DF performance that no one has before. Thus i as well wish all the best of luck on this challenge.

And yes, i would like to be committed into the insane asylum as well.
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2022, 04:45:49 am »

may Armok be with you

If only DF had a 'fast forward' setting where you might ignore announcements and events and simply let the months pass

Thanks

The fort goes quite fast, which makes it speed through years. Additionally, you can speed through in theory. Just have a fort with the smallest embark, one necromancer and in the announcements.txt file you can disable game pausing for all the events and use the nopause feature on df hack. That could be a fun time traveling fort.

Wish you luck on your quest.

Also I'll take a dwarf.
Thank you and it will be done
I wonder, will there even be enough space, top to bottom of the world, to fit ten thousand dwarves, along with all the other necessities of the fortress, on a 1x1 embark? Also, won't the mass usage of levers linked to drawbridges by itself slow down the FPS? Or does that just not? I suspect as this challenge goes on, we'll discover many things related to DF performance that no one has before. Thus i as well wish all the best of luck on this challenge.

And yes, i would like to be committed into the insane asylum as well.
Yeah, this fort will be a learning curve, for space. I certainly do have enough space. If not i can always build up. Yeah, the bridges don't seem practical, might just wall them in and deconstruct the wall when they strangemood. Was gonna do glass or gem windows but pretty sure tantruming dwarves can break those. Welcome any advice

Welcome to the asylum

Drunken scholar

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2022, 05:45:22 am »

Best of luck with the challenges!

I'd assume 1 and 4 will be the hardest parts.

Also, if possible dorf me as the single most useless citizen you have.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2022, 05:55:11 am »

Best of luck with the challenges!

I'd assume 1 and 4 will be the hardest parts.

Also, if possible dorf me as the single most useless citizen you have.

Yeah, 4 might not be if i continue to sail through years. Gonna time it closely so i can see my ingame to irl time ratio

I had just the dwarf, anything you want him to do

Drunken scholar

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2022, 08:21:10 am »

I wish to be one of the necromancer raiders!
And a miner too if those two roles won't conflict with pathing/fps in the long term

Good luck to you! I think if you succeed at this challenge you've basically beaten dwarf fortress

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2022, 08:23:37 am »

I wish to be one of the necromancer raiders!
And a miner too if those two roles won't conflict with pathing/fps in the long term

Good luck to you! I think if you succeed at this challenge you've basically beaten dwarf fortress

It shall be done, plus the necromancer raiders are gonna do mining/engraving labors maining to improve their strength.

Drunken scholar

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2022, 10:09:39 am »

1501 Report

The year has been much colder, especially as the year draws to a close. We are currently in a snow storm as I write this. The year has gone well despite the chillier climate. We have a scholar join, Onget Ragslips. Seems she had a master and even her own apprentice. She even brought her husband. Certainly popular that one, even became mayor of this place in less than a year.

I will join her in the library soon but i have to finish my duties, seems she has big plans for the place. Gonna be glad to finally relax in the library, all this engraving is exhausting.

In other news we have two new artifacts, this year. First was a rope which for a rope isn't too bad.

However the second is bizzare

Not sure who would want to sleep on a green glass bed but don't knock it til i try it. But seriously try not to knock it, pretty sure it would shatter.

We finally have some form of defenses being worked on and our main raiding squad has been made. The Homages of Working led by our best miner Maloy. They are working hard on getting ready as its likely we will face a siege sometime next year. They came in handy when a weregoat attacked.

We lost Erush, one of our carpenters and another one was bitten. But atleast commander Maloy beheaded this gobin werebeast.

We are unsure what to do but the mayor suggests we seal him away, we agreed and now he is being assigned to "wall watching duty" whilst his is bricked in to his tiny tomb. We hope he understood this but he would move when we would wall him in. So we have settled for doors for now. However we are thinking of more secure ways to seal in the beast as he turned out to be a weregoat.

As the year comes to a close looks like we have a new artifact being worked on.

May we rise and fall together
Head Scholar Avolition
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 10:22:10 am by AvolitionBrit »

Drunken scholar

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2022, 12:14:57 pm »

Beekeeping.  :D

(There doesn't even need to be bees or any honey industry going on. Also, add whatever tasks you feel like you need the loafer to do.)

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2022, 12:45:56 pm »

1502 Report

The year has been mostly quiet, minus the sounds of weregoat upon a full moon. The fort has reached a population issue, our current infrastructure only can support 40 active dwarves. We have nearly triple that amount. Mayor Onget assures me he has a plan to deal with this and after im done engraving, i have been assigned to minning. I ask why but he assures me that my hard work will be rewarded.

I became a master engraver last year and im working on the images of the fort so no more smoothing duty for me.

Maloy and his dwarves went out on summer raids to known abandoned sites, they even came across a few books and a relic of our history, Frightendedshattered the Citadel of Butterflies. This tower cap crown was created nearly eight hundred years ago and has been a symbol of authority in our culture.

Speaking of artifacts the one being worked on at the begining of the year was finished.

Head Scholar Avolition
P.S - I have attached the map

Beekeeping.  :D

(There doesn't even need to be bees or any honey industry going on. Also, add whatever tasks you feel like you need the loafer to do.)

Its perfect we have bees and hives. I feel the need for mead

Drunken scholar

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2022, 04:27:10 pm »

1503 Report

I feel nothing, i learned the mayors plans and it is genius. We have all become necromancers, seems Commander Maloys raid on the local tower has gifted us fobbiden knowledge. The mayor noticed that we had too many people and we have sealed away the necromancer peasants. The mayor enquired about a slab but no such slab has show up after the site was razed.

Maloys squad have found another tower and the mayor insists we learn more secrets. This has come at a price, we cannot be replaced, no new generations. Atleast now, the plan was to close the library after everyone became necromancers, once the non necromancer population had children we would make more necromancers and imprission the useless ones. However someone ressurected yak and now 80% of Generation 2 are sunless corpses.

Intelligent but undead. We have closed the library for now to ensure we get health migrants and less necromancers. We will open up a bunk house on the surface. Speaking of which hunting is banned, seems the forts hunters would revived the giant crows they hunted. Speaking of brought back from death, my wife Kosoth Waveurn was killed 26 times by a Reindeer Bull Skeleton

Thankfully, the plan to imprission the hunters of the fort are in motion and they will be sealed with the immortal peasants and weregoats as we continue to contain the reckless necromancers.

Praise be that i will be spared that grueling fate.

Head Necromancer Scholar Avolition
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 04:47:10 pm by AvolitionBrit »

Drunken scholar
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6