Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Here are the options i see so far

A - Play and keep letting Avolition pray, perhaps he will pray everyone into nothingness
- 4 (57.1%)
B - Reclaim, let a new health group reclaim and attempt again. Learning from the mistakes of the past if they aren't killed by the monsters of the past first
- 0 (0%)
C - Seal the Vault door and start anew elsewhere, who knows what this fort will do if left unsupervised
- 3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Cellbound the Prison of Death- A fort of many challenges  (Read 7966 times)

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
Re: Cellbound the Prison of Death- A fort of many challenges
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2022, 07:58:36 am »

Use one of the artifacts as bait for a repeating spike. Kill the beasts that way. And take hunting labor off King Zultan if he's being a problem.
Traps could be a solution, didn't realise King still had the labor, thought they were all disabled but i guess hunter see hunter kill
But the undead crows are my only friends!

Also I say go for it and set the werebeast free to fight.
Indeed, King Zultan watches his undead crow friends killing Urist McInnocent. Perhaps we could train some crows. Hmmmmm big think

(OOC) I noticed that among the named dwarves, i am dorfed as the oldest one :P. And a very old one at that. Probably pretty much on the tail end of natural dwarven lifespan. Although i don't exactly remember how long dwarves can naturally live for.
Yeah the fortress like most is an epic disaster but im not giving up on this one until the last dwarf dies and if so it will be clean slate in the same world. Would love to see the consequences of 80 necromancer dwarves given free reign in a tower. That will not come back to bite me, not in the slightest.

As for lift span, 150-170 is the max age of dwarves so you are by no means ancient but old compared to the other citizens.

Hmmm I hate to waste a good werebeast when he can just be an eternal prisoner until the end of days
This is true, he would likely be pretty mad. Also he is kinda like the fortress lifeline, if everyone else dies this werebeast is the one who will keep going on, haunted by ghosts in his tiny cell. Sounds good to me
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2022, 06:42:19 pm »

1061 Report

Slow work has begun, just us sane and immortal insane necromancers remain. They are harmless, they just babble and wonder the halls. We have begun repurposing most of the cells to become burial chambers, the doors will remain for obvious reasons. After a vote, we have decided that the werebeast will remain contained as it would be unwise to release him. We have cleaned up a little, however a few bodies is a mere drop in the ocean. We put the current ghosts to rest. We errect slabs and wall remains into their coffins.

We thought it was the end, only the humans have shown up to do littling trading with us. Our own mountainhome doesnt even want to come here. There was no hope and then a babies cry emerged from the hallowed halls. A child was born from some babbling mad dwarf and just as it came into life the crying vanished. We cannot find the child who made the cries anymore. We must continue cleaning this place. Im sick of stepping on teeth and slipping on entrails.

May we rise and fall together
Head Scholar Avolition

Drunken scholar

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2022, 07:06:44 pm »

1062 Report

I have spent the year praying to the sunny, unmoving and hyperfixated. They tell me burial has been slow, but more coffins have been installed and assigned. The caverns are slowly growing quieter. Apparently the humans had traded with us we just took some books for weapons. They woke me as the year ended, they thought i had lost my mind but my mind is as clear as it has ever been. I seek atonement for my actions, i am not sure how long i will continue to pray, continue for The Sunny's rightous lighting to smite me down  but i hear nothing not even a clap of his thunder. They tell me the skys have been eternally overcast. Then suddenly a howling erupted infront of me..

another ghost has come to chastise me, to chew me out over it. His ceaseless noise makes it harder to pray but i continue. I am sorry for being a failure.

Hea
Avolition The Punished
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 07:08:59 pm by AvolitionBrit »

Drunken scholar

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2022, 08:39:32 pm »

ooooh another ghost for the pokedex!

I have recently enjoyed the various aspects of roaming spirits. there are quite a few specific types and each has a great potential for story shenanigans.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2022, 09:01:23 pm »

I have recently enjoyed the various aspects of roaming spirits. there are quite a few specific types and each has a great potential for story shenanigans.

That's until that one damned sadistic ghost comes and kills three of the most important dwarves of the fort (happened once to me). Then you start freaking out every time someone dies and immediately engrave memorials just in case before more ghosts pop up.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2022, 04:37:39 am »

I was under the impression that all ghosts in game could kill, or is that wrong?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2022, 04:43:42 am »

ooooh another ghost for the pokedex!

Yeah, ghosts are something that are extremely under explored. I have been seeing a lot in this fort. Which normally i either succumb or put them all to rest. But certainly is a great mechanic to put pressure on the player.

That's until that one damned sadistic ghost comes and kills three of the most important dwarves of the fort (happened once to me). Then you start freaking out every time someone dies and immediately engrave memorials just in case before more ghosts pop up.
Its always the engraver making the memorials getting hounded by ghosts til insanity.

I was under the impression that all ghosts in game could kill, or is that wrong?
No it doesn't it could be different types. But what is interesting when I was reading the wiki it appears that they type of ghost the dwarf becomes reflects an aspect of the moments before their death of the ghost harassing dwarf me is a howling spirit which indicates it went stark raving mad and was likely on of the entombed.

Type                            Cause                                                                                           Effect
Murderous Ghost-   Had a fell mood, had low ALTRUISM, or slab/grave was deconstructed   Murders dwarves.
Sadistic Ghost-   Had a macabre mood, or had low ALTRUISM   Batters, scares and paralyses dwarves. Capable of scaring a dwarf to death.
Violent Ghost-   Was berserk, or had high ANGER_PROPENSITY   Batters dwarves, often but not always removing limbs.
Moaning Spirit-   Was melancholic, or had high DEPRESSION_PROPENSITY   Troubles one unfortunate dwarf at a time.
Howling Spirit-   Was stark raving mad, or had high STRESS_VULNERABILITY   Makes sleeping difficult.
Angry Ghost-   Was possessed   Will possess dwarves, causing them to throw tantrums. May still be capable of battering dwarves.
Energetic- Poltergeist   Was in a fey mood, or had high ACTIVITY_LEVEL   Topples furniture, such as chairs.
Secretive- Poltergeist   Was in a secretive mood, or had high BASHFUL   Misplaces items.
Troublesome- Poltergeist   Had high IMMODERATION   Misplaces items, may topple furniture and pull levers.
Restless Haunt-   Had GREGARIOUSNESS at least as high as DUTIFULNESS, or never completed any jobs   Drifts around place of death and frequented locations. Also haunts dwarves, causing unhappy thoughts.
Forlorn Haunt-   Did not satisfy any of the above checks   Drifts around place of death and frequented locations.

Drunken scholar

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2022, 07:21:12 am »

I once wondered if it was possible to survive a fort with a ton of ghosts if you have a big enough population that can take casaulties, but from what I've read in some famous forts the situation deteriorates quickly once enough of them build up.

So are the necromancer prisoners in the tower and just exiled? Or is literally everyone dead?

I was reading the big number on the "Other" tab on your units menu

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2022, 07:41:19 am »

Everyone was sent to the tower, expelled. Need to check the legends of this year to see if they have remained or have done more than that.

The fort is a barely functional skeleton crew of necromancers and intelligent undead. The hoard of animated body parts has been slowly whittling itself down. The mountain home has abandoned us. They don't trade and we get no migrants but tbf i don't blame them.

The other tab has a whole myriad of undead abominations, will have to show it off but some have killed so much they have epithet names. I think my favourite on is the undead crundle that just a mess and is missing its head. Believe i posted its desc at somepoint.

Drunken scholar

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2022, 11:45:15 am »

One of the Battlefailed forts had a huge graveyard designed to be collapsible, in order to flood the fort with ghosts as the fort fell. I'm not sure what came of that.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2022, 08:32:56 pm »

1063 Report

All i have done is pray in the temple, i cannot stop. The others work to combat the angry spirits and are slowly putting them to rest.

I just sit here, pray and meditate. Samulek was attacked by a mud man and i just sat there, i was unable to move, i just stared until my eyes closed.

Im losing time, its almost 1064 but that was a few days ago. I don't know what is happening to me is this divine retribution. Must keep praying, just a little longer. I h

-Avolition

Drunken scholar

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2022, 04:54:30 pm »

Currently playing on the year 1064 and im thinking of ending it there. One of the responding dwarves died, its much of the same and not entertaining for updates. Wondering what your thoughts are?

A - Play and keep letting Avolition pray, perhaps he will pray everyone into nothingness
B - Reclaim, let a new health group reclaim and attempt again. Learning from the mistakes of the past if they aren't killed by the monsters of the past first
C - Seal the Vault door and start anew elsewhere, who knows what this fort will do if left unsupervised

Drunken scholar

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2022, 06:49:00 pm »

I once wondered if it was possible to survive a fort with a ton of ghosts if you have a big enough population that can take casaulties, but from what I've read in some famous forts the situation deteriorates quickly once enough of them build up.

can confirm (after my strange narrative in The Spry Volcano), the stress really builds up if you have a murderous ghost. the many witnesses of the spectral violence are scarred for life. . . an admittedly  short life since the ghosts will eventually target them too.

Currently playing on the year 1064 and im thinking of ending it there. One of the responding dwarves died, its much of the same and not entertaining for updates. Wondering what your thoughts are?

Hmmm. reclaiming might be a !!fun!! option, unless the embark is already too laggy to enjoy . though sometimes reclamation fixes lag issues

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2022, 08:09:05 pm »

I'm down for seeing it through although ultimately I'd say do what is still fun for you!

When forts become chores it's usually a sign that they're reaching the end of their life span

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2022, 11:20:36 pm »

If you've already got ideas of ending it, no need to continue just for the sake of keeping it up. (Unless, of course, you're enjoying it and feel like continuing. I'll still be reading even if updates would be 'much the same'.)

So, I'd say maybe go first for C? And if later you feel like going back, then go for B.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6