Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31

Author Topic: (AIsg) The Level Up Club: Cockroach Graveyard, Turn 23  (Read 16803 times)

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (AIsg) The Level Up Club: Tutorial Dungeon, Room 1, Turn 0
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2022, 01:51:36 am »

Sense we're in a dungeon now we should probably use our fist action to go grab that sword.
+1

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2022, 02:09:45 am »

Money first.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2022, 12:41:23 pm »

Quote from: Votes
Chest = 2
Sword/Junk Pile = 2

"Ho, ho, ho, dear viewers. I suppose this is as good a time as any to reveal that Randy boy isn't the only one who gets to learn by trial and error. If votes are tied, all winning actions will be attempted if possible, in order that they were first suggested, consequences be damned. Luckily here you have three actions to clear the room, and you only used two..."

---

You decide to check out the chest first. As you approach, the coins all erupt out! The fly up into the air and begin to... combine? Several exciting seconds pass, before seven coins the size of your palm fall to the ground. You pick them up, along with the skull that was in the chest.

+7 Dubloons
+1 Humanoid Skull

Next you cross the room, and turn your attention to the pile of junk that prominently features a weapon.

Upon closer inspection, you determine that the blade is a well crafted Machete. It feels well balanced in your hands. You also scoop up the surrounding refuse, some of which is junk, and some of which may be useful.

+1 Unidentified Machete
+1 Unidentified Walking Stick
+1 Unidentified Trowel
+1 Unidentified Brass Oil Lamp
+1 Peg Leg
+1 Ruptured Waterskin

You look up and take inventory of your surroundings. The halo around the Imp is red. Between that and Mr. Levy's advice that you had three actions before it wakes up, you doubt it will sleep for much longer.

-Per your character sheet, you have no weapon in hand, but possible weapons in your inventory. Equip something as a free action?
-What do you do next?

Most assets by Dall-E. Additional assets under creative commons license.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: (AIsg) The Level Up Club: Tutorial Dungeon, Room 1, Turns 1-2
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2022, 12:44:35 pm »

Equip the Machete and flee to the south.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2022, 05:31:28 pm »

+1
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Counterfactual

• Bay Watcher
  • But what if...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2022, 05:59:17 pm »

+1 as well.

Interesting that we already have several spells and abilities available. I think we could've used Theology of Milton to see the stats on that Smoke Imp, but I don't know if you can use an action in a room then leave it on the same turn.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2022, 06:14:38 pm »

Interesting that we already have several spells and abilities available. I think we could've used Theology of Milton to see the stats on that Smoke Imp, but I don't know if you can use an action in a room then leave it on the same turn.
That's what I wanted to do second, but it's okay. The fact that we were told to save an action for fleeing seems to imply it takes an action, though.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2022, 06:45:53 pm »

+1

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: (AIsg) The Level Up Club: Tutorial Dungeon, Control Room, Turn 0
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2022, 08:50:02 pm »

You bolt out of the current room into a long hallway. The door seals itself behind you. You take the moment to catch your breath, and shove everything you have picked up save the Machete into your backpack before proceeding. With a weapon in your hands, you feel a bit more confident.

Reaching the end of the hallway, you find yourself in a small chamber. Some sort of cockpit or control room. A screen on the wall shows an image of a massive glacier. Your view of the ice constantly changes as cameras pan and switch between shots. For reasons you do not quite understand, you are moved to tears.

+3 Heartfelt Memories

For a few minutes, you find yourself unable to pull your eyes away from the screen. Eventually the whine and crackle of the school PA system snaps you back to your senses.

"Enjoy the show Randy? Mmmmmm? It was specially engineered for maximum emotional impact, to fill out your memory. Events like these that give out more than one memory are quite rare. In our world, memory is a key part of study and crafting. It can also modify some spells. But memory is hard to hold onto; As new ones form, old ones slip through your fingers. I'll let you work out exactly how memory works on your own, but here is a hint; Triumphant Memories are most common. You'll get one for winning all but the most pathetic of fights. Although they are essential to leveling up, Triumphant memories can easily bully other memories out of your head. This should help with that!"

Suddenly there is a bright flash of blue light, and a frigid chill briefly passes through your body! You feel compelled to look at your hand, and suddenly find yourself wearing a ring engraved with the image of an eagle. Triumphant music swells in your head!

+Unidentified Magic Ring with Eagle Engraving (Equipped)

"Looking good, Randy my boy! Consider that your official Level Up Club proof of membership. You shouldn't have much difficulty figuring out exactly how it works... Speaking of how things work: the tutorial dungeon. This room is both an elevator and control center. If you look to your right, you'll see a listing of floors to visit. You may do so in almost any order you'd like, but you must visit the room with the exit last."

You look to your right, as instructed, and see a panel of buttons much like what you would find in any other elevator.

Floor 1 -----> Basic Dungeon Tutorial
Floor 2 -----> Combat Tutorial
Floor 3 -----> Scholarship Tutorial
Floor 4 -----> Introduction to Friendly NPC Archtypes
Floor 5 -----> Introduction to Common Mini-Boss Archtypes
Floor 6 -----> Lock and Key Tutorial, Exit

"Oh! One more quick tip! You are likely to consume memories in the Scholarship and Friendly NPC rooms. I'd personally recommend doing one of those two first, and trying to replenish memories spent elsewhere before visiting the other. But the choice is yours! Just keep an eye on your character sheet to track your memories! Ciao!"

The intercom falls silent. Once again leaving you alone with your thoughts and the enthralling glacier video.

What floor would you like to visit next? And is there anything you'd like to do first in the relative safety of the control room?

All Images by DALL-E
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 08:52:58 pm by Weirdsound »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2022, 10:23:17 pm »

Floor 3.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 10:28:17 pm by ZBridges »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2022, 11:17:22 pm »

Friendly NPC Archetypes, but first stare at and give a few practice swings of our machete to see if that helps identify it.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2022, 02:08:50 am »

Friendly NPC Archetypes, but first stare at and give a few practice swings of our machete to see if that helps identify it.
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2022, 11:23:10 pm »

You give the machete a swing. Throwing an edged weapon around is fun. Makes you feel powerful even. But it doesn't offer any insight into what if any secrets the blade might be hiding.

Next you press the button for floor 4 on the elevator controls. The door to the control room seals behind you, and the whole chamber shakes violently for a few seconds. The shaking stops. The door opens once more, and you note the colors on the elevator controls have changed slightly.

Floor 1 -----> Basic Dungeon Tutorial
Floor 2 -----> Combat Tutorial
Floor 3 -----> Scholarship Tutorial
Floor 4 -----> Introduction to Friendly NPC Archtypes
Floor 5 -----> Introduction to Common Mini-Boss Archtypes
Floor 6 -----> Lock and Key Tutorial, Exit

You stand up, and walk down a completely different hallway than the one you entered through. At the end of the hall, you find an open archway leading to a wooden ladder. Dangling from the arch by string is the strangest key you have ever laid eyes upon. In the loop at the end of the handle is a human looking head, and extending from each side is a human looking arm.

"Ahh... A Handy Key. Forgive the appearance, the dungeon designer got confused on that one. It can open pretty much any lock you find in a dungeon that isn't on a door. Take it, but don't get too attached as it is single use, and you may wish to use it quite soon indeed."

The string is flimsy. You pull the key free with no effort whatsoever. Then you dash up the ladder.

+1 Handy Key

At the top of the ladder, you push open a trap door and find yourself in a small room. Three large spherical cages sit to your North, East, and West. Inside each cage stands a humanoid creature, silent and immobile.

"Stasis cages. A particularly cruel fate that I can kind of emphasize with. Sadly, with one Handy Key you can free at most one of these wretched souls. Friendly creatures in the various dungeons you visit offer all sorts of goods and services. The vast majority carry a small stock of useful items they might sell for Dubloons. Many will also give you quests. Represented in this room are the three common non-hostile races, or archtypes, that you will encounter most often. Each usually offers a special service in addition to questgiving and shopkeeping."

"To your west, Randy boy, you have a gnome. Gnomes are master craftsmen, and are willing to share their equipment and blueprints with others. With a gnome's help, you can combine memories and raw materials to create and upgrade items. Each gnome has a unique collection of blueprints, and it is not always possible to revisit a friendly NPC, so consider the diversity of memories and materials on your character sheet carefully before going out of your way to work with a Gnome."

"Imprisioned to your East is a Satyr, sometimes called a Faun. These goat-folk are masters of divination, the magical art of understanding the present and future. For a fee, they can identify items in your inventory, and offer you glimpses into the stats, abilities, and weakness of enemies you might soon face. You never know exactly what a Faun might ask in return for their sight; Sometimes they seek specific memories or materials to fuel their magic, and sometimes they just fancy dubloons."

"Sealed to your north is a Goblin. Goblins are talented, but tricky and greedy. The items they sell usually come unidentified and may have hidden drawbacks, powers, or some combination of both. They offer both the crafting of Gnomes and the sight of Satyrs, but charge more for such services. A small, but non trivial, percentage of goblins worship wicked gods. Such bastards will try to offer quests that lure unsuspecting humans into traps where their organs can be harvested and sacrificed. Even in the likely scenario a goblin isn't actively trying to kill you, his quest is likely to test you, either physically or morally. Speaking of potential moral quandaries... good luck and happy choosing!"

The intercom fades once more, leaving you alone with a key and a choice.

Who, if anyone, do you free? What, if anything, would you like to do first?

Assets by DALL-E or found under a creative commons license.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (AIsg) The Level Up Club: Tutorial Dungeon, Room 4, Turn 0
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2022, 01:11:24 am »

Lets free the gnome!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (AIsg) The Level Up Club: Tutorial Dungeon, Room 4, Turn 0
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2022, 01:18:04 am »

Nooo, I hate gnomes. Just keep the key for now.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31