Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Victoria 3 thread  (Read 1260 times)

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Victoria 3 thread
« on: September 04, 2022, 03:07:44 pm »

https://store.steampowered.com/app/529340/Victoria_3/

Anyone going to pick it up? Whats your thoughts on whats been revealed thus far?

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria 3 thread
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 03:58:18 pm »

I'm rather excited, admittedly. This might be the first Paradox game that I don't feel absolutely needs extreme modding to make appreciable (though it will certainly benefit, I imagine!), which is fantastic. Seems to have a better balance of micro-to-macro.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022, 03:59:54 pm »

I'm hyped on the picture I saw of it.
But not going to buy it until the first DLC is packaged with it. Since I'm done paying 100+ dollars for a Paradox game.  I'll keep it to $99, thank youplus taxes, damn you steam!

I'm exceedingly curious how Victoria 3 compares to Victoria II.  Different people, different design philosophies.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2022, 04:11:49 pm »

they did a 4h gameplay reveal on twitch a few days ago:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1576909467

axiomsofdominion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2022, 04:59:54 pm »

After the recent drama with CK3 you have to wonder if it is safe to buy a Paradox game, especially a bundle pack, without seeing what you are getting. It looks half decent, although I don't buy Paradox games after CK3/Imperator scandal. Maybe in 5 years when devs get their **** together.

The very high price should put people off but I guess when you don't have any real competition like Paradox you can price things as you like. Curious to see how Grey Eminence looks when it releases compared to Vicky3.

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2022, 05:50:01 pm »

Yeah, I should probably join that Discord at some point. I hope they aren't using the vestiges of the MENA implementation that I left behind. So much was missing from that picture.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2022, 09:54:13 pm »

I'm rather excited, admittedly. This might be the first Paradox game that I don't feel absolutely needs extreme modding to make appreciable (though it will certainly benefit, I imagine!), which is fantastic. Seems to have a better balance of micro-to-macro.
Stellaris and both modern CKs+maybe EU4 are alright vanilla IMO (still better with mods). The others, yeah.

Overall I have been following this game's development and, as someone who got tired of even modded Vicky 2, it definitely is going to breath some fresh air into the game. I'm actually so glad populations are now state-level, it means my laptop could finally run the game (especially with an overhaul mod which I will be using) at an appreciable speed. The army stuff is whatever, I hated army micro in Vic2.

I think it'll be alright at release. CK3 actually had a good launch by Paradox standards.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 09:56:35 pm by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2022, 12:46:50 am »

Isn't vic3 included by the paradox subscription service?

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2022, 09:25:51 am »

Stellaris and both modern CKs+maybe EU4 are alright vanilla IMO (still better with mods). The others, yeah.

Overall I have been following this game's development and, as someone who got tired of even modded Vicky 2, it definitely is going to breath some fresh air into the game. I'm actually so glad populations are now state-level, it means my laptop could finally run the game (especially with an overhaul mod which I will be using) at an appreciable speed. The army stuff is whatever, I hated army micro in Vic2.

I think it'll be alright at release. CK3 actually had a good launch by Paradox standards.

yeah, I actually thought the army stuff personally took away from victoria 2. Guess a lot dont feel that way judging by past comments people have made various places, but kinda glad don't need to micro them anymore.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2022, 01:24:59 pm »

Looks like it will be available day 1 on game pass so I'll play it on there. Looking forward to it

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2022, 02:58:47 pm »

Looks like it will be available day 1 on game pass so I'll play it on there. Looking forward to it
Seems like it won't be on game pass, actually?
The messaging around it is weird.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2022, 03:01:42 pm »

Ah dang, unfortunate

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2022, 05:26:50 pm »

How long until someone conquers the world as Transvaal?

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2022, 05:33:13 pm »

How long until someone conquers the world as Transvaal?

I wonder if this will happen first or a roman empire mod will come out before that. Every single paradox game has a roman empire mod.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2022, 07:43:03 pm »

We have a release date!

Yeah, I'll grab it probably. Vic2 was absolutely my shit, it just suffered from its age.

I'll wait a bit though, just so I can get a rundown from other people first. If it's super glitchy on release I'll leave it be until it's sorted, and just in case it turns out to be a turd of a game.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears
Pages: [1] 2