Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23

Author Topic: CYOGTCG Wars - Team 1 Design Thread  (Read 10980 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CYOGTCG Wars - Team 1 Design Thread
« Reply #240 on: October 01, 2022, 08:12:43 am »

*Card Name: The Cure
*Card Picture: All images must be 180x100 pixels in size.
*Background Color: Red with White Cross in the Effect Box
Attack: ?
Hearts: 0
Stars: 0
Card Effect: When this card has 0 Hearts, you can pay 1 Heart to give this card +1 Heart. (This can prevent the card from leaving play.) When this card attacks a target, remove any effects affecting that target. This card can attack the turn it is played. If this card's Attack would reduce a target to 0 Hearts, they are left with 1 Heart if effects were removed, otherwise no damage is dealt.
Flavor Text: I'm here to save you. Even if that means taking your life!
Metadata: Did you know your own cards can attack your own?
Reference: Nightingale

As it doesn't have an image, not a viable design right now.
Of note, this card can't actually kill a player.

*Card Name: Spring Flower Maiden
*Card Picture:
*Background Color: Spring Green
Attack: 0
Hearts: 2
Stars: 1
Card Effect: [Quickplay] You can reveal this card in your hand: place it on the bottom of your Deck and gain 2 Stars. When this card is played, draw 2 cards. If this card would be destroyed, place it on the top of your Deck instead.
Flavor Text: Spring blooms in full glory, the scent of petals on the wind swift and transient.
Metadata: Questioning if drawing two cards is valid, if not return to 1. Same with star gain, though that would be cut back to 1 first since drawing two helps with Fall.(Please note this is meant to be a star starter card to help fuel things. It being at the bottom means it can't come back until a shuffle happens. It going to top meanwhile reduces that draw power and helps pay for it's own cost like all of the maidens. It going to bottom also reduces hand size too. Quickplays and removals can add up if you aren't careful, so it being able to revitalize the hand is also fairly thematic.)
Reference: Maiden Series(CYOCGTCG archetype.)

*Card Name: Fall Festival Maiden
*Card Picture:
*Background Color: Orange
Hearts: 2
Stars: 1
Card Effect: [Quickplay] When this card is played, each Player places 0 to 3 cards from their hand face-down and pays their costs, then gains 1 Star for each they place and take (3 - Their Star Gain X 4) damage. These cannot be manually flipped, and if flipped deal their cost as damage to their owner. When this card leaves play, flip a card affected by this effect face-up.
Flavor Text: Fall arrives and a festival celebrates the harvest, cooling night as lanterns light the way.
Metadata: A simplistic set engine with a cost-benefit analysis. Mostly on the cost bit. Yeah it can kill if you have enough draw power, or kill you if you don't. Fun enough, it works with Spring and Summer for starburst And BFG. Meant to force cards out of hands and punish their search engine/self-harm playstyle. And since it affects both players equally, should be doable. And yeah, leaning on their habit of dealing damage to themselves. (Damage multiplier can be dropped to 3. Just don't want abstaining from the full effect to come with a light penalty, hence 4.)
Reference: Maiden Series(Yeah, these four are a set.)

Thoughts on these? And yeah, they generate stars too from this as incentive vs punishment. Carrot and Stick, empty your hand of stuff.

Not my fault if they get buried by their own playstyle. And yeah, Shining Dawn is useable now.

Just the Winter Snow Maiden left.
might want a better image though.

Theoretically, these cards serve as a fairly strong star engine. Spring can jumpstart things and/or let you draw more cards for a star cost. Summer gives you a chance for 2 stars, and Fall lets you force cards out of the hand and setup more generation.

Spring and Fall are honestly better than Summer, but Summer doesn't really have a drawback, so.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 07:51:08 am by TricMagic »

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 01, 2022, 02:23:28 pm »

Starburst. A burst of stars gained just by playing a card. Give me a bit to find a good image for it but it should help solve our initial star gain problem.
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 01, 2022, 02:57:08 pm »

I mean, I am designing a solution to that in Spring Maiden. You don't play her to get stars, you just reveal her and put her at the bottom of the deck for the starting generation.

I'd honestly like something that just shuts down the field now given the stuff they can put out.

*Card Name: Planetary Frost
*Card Picture:
*Background Color: Dark Grey
Card Effect: All cards currently in play can no longer block or attack.
Flavor Text: The sun falls, the stars die, life lies frozen forever.
Metadata: If the above effect is too much, instead make it a single target effect. Though given the existence of a wide-area bombardment and fog of war...
Reference: The Freeze card from the first CYOCGTCG.

For people who want to make it. It's basically a shutdown card, even if downgraded into a single target effect.

Alternatively, a card that just Sets everything and prevents them from being flipped manually. But the above is a good shutdown effect.

I'm mostly limiting myself to theme, so... But yeah, no hiding from the Frost.

Granted, a heavy star burst would be nice. No clue what the upper limit would be, just leave that blank I guess.

Stellar Supernova [I.E Starburst]

K, this image is fairly awesome.

Card Frame:

Final scaled image. Not as cool as the full frame though.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 03:51:07 pm by TricMagic »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 01, 2022, 05:05:37 pm »

I think it might be worth investing into some 'costly' cards.

Devourer Sheep: 3 stars 6 attack 7 hearts - You may reduce this card's Star cost by up to 2 by destroying one creature from your side of the play area for each Star reduced.

Blood Pact: 0 stars 0 attack 0 hearts - Pay 6 of your Hearts, gain 2 Stars and draw 2 cards.

Ward-Eater Sheep: 5 stars 6 attack 8 hearts - You may reduce this card's Star cost by up to 4 by destroying one creature with a Ward soullinked to it from your side of the play area for every 2 Stars reduced. If you reduce this card's Star cost to 1, it may attack twice each combat, and if it destroys an enemy card, it takes no damage from that card's attack.

Work, Work: 1 stars 0 attack 0 hearts - Creatures you control may not attack this turn nor your next turn, and you gain 1 Star for each of them at the start of your next turn.

Along with what I think might go really well with the Fairy Ring -

Inscription Fairy: 0 stars 0 attack 1 hearts - When you play this card, you may immediately play a Ward card from your hand without paying its Star cost if the Ward costs 2 Stars or less.

Hero's Fairy: 0 stars 0 attack 4 hearts - When you play this card, choose another non-Fairy creature card on your field. At the end of each of your turns while this card is in play, that card gains 1 Attack and 1 Heart.

And a few 'aces':

Fairy King Oberon: 6 stars 0 attack 10 hearts - You may play Fairy cards from your discard pile as though it was your hand. When this card receives damage, the damage is reduced by 2 for every 'Fairy Ring' you control. While you control at least three 'Fairy Ring' cards, this card is not a valid target of your opponent's single-target card effects.

Inscribed Castle: 7 stars 0 attack 20 hearts - You may only play this card if you control at least four creatures in play with at least one Ward soul-linked to them each. Detach all Ward cards in your play area from their initial link targets and link them to this card. Other creatures you control are not valid attack targets while this card is in play. This card cannot be destroyed or removed from the field except by damage.

And why not:

True Homunculus: 9 stars 0 attack ? hearts - When you play this card, soul-link it to target player. This card's Hearts and that player's Hearts are always equalized. This card cannot be destroyed or removed from the field except by damage. Once per turn, you may pay any number of Stars - permanently raise this card's Attack by four times that number. Once per opponent's turn, nullify the first card effect they use that would influence this card, and destroy the card that was the source of that effect, bypassing all resistances.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 01, 2022, 05:14:00 pm »

There is at least this card, which renders all 0 star cards a bit worthless. And can kill most things too. The issue is getting enough stars to play it in time. I ended up getting hit by the waifu beforehand, but if I played it I'm fairly certain nothing in that deck could have dealt with it alone. Which would have given me time to setup Thorn Ward and/or Firebase too.

On second thought, a pure starburst card could let me set up most of my deck dedicated to stargen. Rely on hypersummons and Invader Guardians to tear things apart.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 05:27:35 pm by TricMagic »

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 02, 2022, 10:27:24 am »

Still waiting on one player here.
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 02, 2022, 11:41:19 am »

Not too much talk of synergy. A pure Stargen card is a good backup though so long as it gives plenty.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 02, 2022, 03:42:20 pm »

*Card Name: Starburst
*Card Picture:
*Background Color: Yellow
Card Effect: Gain 3 stars
Flavor Text: No pain no gain.
Metadata: Star Gain. This gives stars in exchange for not being able to play another card this turn.
Reference:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 04:03:14 pm by dgr11897 »
My Power armor arms race

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 02, 2022, 03:55:31 pm »

Of note, I don't think we need to take damage given it's a pure starburst. Can you remove that bit?

If we're going to be spending or life, I think it should be 2 for 6 Stars instead. But no need to spend hearts on a pure starburst card I feel? (Super, can you delay a bit waiting on dgr's response?)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 03:58:01 pm by TricMagic »

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 02, 2022, 04:03:27 pm »

Of note, I don't think we need to take damage given it's a pure starburst. Can you remove that bit?

If we're going to be spending or life, I think it should be 2 for 6 Stars instead. But no need to spend hearts on a pure starburst card I feel? (Super, can you delay a bit waiting on dgr's response?)
True, remade the card to account for that.
My Power armor arms race

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 02, 2022, 04:46:27 pm »

Think 4 stars is fine to shoot for, if not SN can reduce it. Still quite useful though.

For trivia, how about.. "The Soul Ignites."

Solid card anyway, since there aren't any tricks to it.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 02, 2022, 05:44:48 pm »

The Battle Phase is now beginning!

Refer to the second post of the Core Thread to see a list of regions and their effects. You now get to pick one as your preferred battlefield. Note that a region is not guaranteed to be a battlefield unless a player from both teams chooses it. If your region is not chosen you will instead play in a random one that was chosen by the opposing team. You will want to build your deck while considering the possibility that you might not fight on your favored terrain, such is the chaos of war!

As a reminder, you cannot pick a preferred region already picked by someone else on your team for this round.

You will also need to pick what cards you want to put in your 40 card deck!

... Yep. More nerfs. Maybe some of them weren't necessary, but I'm playing it safe. The other team got the nerfs too!
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 02, 2022, 06:04:28 pm »

K, so spending your turn to gain stars is worth two, compared to refinery which if you go first nets 2 and then keeps going. K...

Spring Flower Maiden ends up the best of the star lot today. And Fall loses the drawback effect to force cards to be played, which kinda renders her a bit mute, can't force cards out of hands.

Also Supernerd, it says Players gain Stars for each card played via this effect. It's missing "they" in there, so does that mean players earn from the cards the other side plays?

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 02, 2022, 06:18:27 pm »

That was a type. I have added the word "They".

Also, it didn't lose its effect to "force cards to be played". The effect you wrote was written as "each Player places 0 to 3 cards from their hand face-down and pays their costs" so the original effect that you wrote wouldn't force anything to be played either. Don't get me wrong, I love nerfing all your cards, but I didn't nerf it in this very particular way.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 06:37:26 pm by Supernerd »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 02, 2022, 06:24:30 pm »

Spring Flower Maiden ends up the best of the star lot today. And Fall loses the drawback effect to force cards to be played, which kinda renders her a bit mute, can't force cards out of hands.

Fall Flower Maiden is OP, we just need good draw.

Like I mean it's actually OP.

Like I mean it's probably the best card in our entire pool, the actual best.

Supernerd: What happens when a card with an 'when this card is played' effect is played face down?
What happens when a card with 0 hearts and 0 attack is played face down? Does it still resolve its effect when flipped face up?
What happens when a card with an effect in the form of 'does this' without a 'when this card is played' qualifier is played face down, then flipped up? For example what happens if a Fall Festival Maiden's effect is used to play a Summer Star Maiden card face down, then the Summer Star Maiden is later flipped up by Shining Dawn or such.
What happens if Opening The Gateless Gate is used on a Fall Festival Maiden that's already been played? Do the cards that 'cannot be flipped manually' lose that status?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 06:28:36 pm by FallacyofUrist »
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23