Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 33

Author Topic: CYOGTCG Wars - Team 2 (Team G) Design Thread  (Read 16400 times)

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CYOGTCG Wars - Team 2 Design Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2022, 10:17:54 pm »

That would just make it a better version of Card Caster wouldn't it? I figure if CC introduces banishing we could do stuff with it. This way we could introduce things like Tuck-Kun who banishes enemy cards it kills, preventing them from being used by graveyard effects and allowing us to summon it with Isekai.
I'm not saying we don't do anything with banishing, but it feels weird to make a card and then immediately begin making cards to bypass its core benefit just because it's awkward to work with
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 10:20:08 pm by Failbird105 »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2022, 02:34:58 am »

One way this could be resolved is if Isekai has its very powerful effect (or even more powerful) but doesn't actually summon the card to the field (as it's going to be summoned by card caster's effect anyway). Then both aspects of card caster would still be used. Either way, I'm sure Supernerd will have some kind of idea.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2022, 11:46:01 pm »

Been planning out some potential future cards in the meantime.

First is Cannibal Chef Waifu. When you summon her you can sacrifice one other Human card in order to give its Hearts to a card of your choosing. Plus waifu tribe support.

Backstreets Weaver. This is essentially an 'elite' version of Cannibal Chef Waifu. 1 star cost and requires you to sacrifice a Human card to play, in return you can divvy out the sacrificed cards hearts however you wish.

Syndicate Enforcer. A basic 0-cost beatstick, no effect just stats. However, it will have synergy with future 'Syndicate' cards.

Bio-Augments. 0 cost 'spell' card. Deals 1 damage to target creature, but grants them a boost to their attack in return.

Heavy Sniper Waifu. 1 star. No clue on effect, but hey, waifu support.

Blue Star. A big-boy card, and one intended to work with our steadily developing Banishment playstyle. Deals half of its Attack(rounded whichever way Super feels best) to all other cards instead of attacking. Cards that would be destroyed by this are instead Banished. Would get a support card later.

And finally,

Silent Orchestra. 0 Attack, can't attack. Instead, puts one of four Movements onto the top of your deck in numerical order, each doing progressively more damage to everything on the board. If Silent Orchestra somehow reaches Movement 4 without being put down(which is unlikely to happen unless you were already winning), it just automatically wipes the board.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2022, 11:02:55 am »

Thoughts, anyone?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2022, 11:16:49 am »

Thoughts, anyone?

I like the sniper waifu. This is about as deep as Stirk thoughts get.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2022, 11:24:45 am »

Should we co-ordinate what regions we want to take this round? Including the ones that haven't been processed yet, here's how our cards currently stand.

Spoiler: Region Support (click to show/hide)

I think it's clear which regions we should prioritise...

First is Cannibal Chef Waifu. When you summon her you can sacrifice one other Human card in order to give its Hearts to a card of your choosing. Plus waifu tribe support.
It's a reasonable idea, though our only humans are other waifus, right? Sacrificing trash fits in well with our deck ideas, but we currently don't have any humans that benefit from being trashed (only ghosts).

Backstreets Weaver. This is essentially an 'elite' version of Cannibal Chef Waifu. 1 star cost and requires you to sacrifice a Human card to play, in return you can divvy out the sacrificed cards hearts however you wish.
Make it two stars, brown background, double the hearts divvied from the sacrificed unit, and give Backstreet 0 hearts but loads of attack, and you can cast this for only 1 in the Mire and it would be a decent offensive card and fit with the trash-to-upgrade theme.

Syndicate Enforcer. A basic 0-cost beatstick, no effect just stats. However, it will have synergy with future 'Syndicate' cards.
OK, though note I think by this stage we'd be splitting into our card stack having multiple possible decks rather than one deck with all the cards to varying degrees. (As we don't want to be maximising ghosts, waifus, humans, and syndicates.)

Bio-Augments. 0 cost 'spell' card. Deals 1 damage to target creature, but grants them a boost to their attack in return.
This is a nice idea, but not sure it's good in the action economy vs playing a second creature. So maybe try and make it a free action (possible with the malus of dealing 1 damage).

Heavy Sniper Waifu. 1 star. No clue on effect, but hey, waifu support.
For the record, I am anti-waifu on principle and will never make a waifu card, but yes, more waifu support makes sense for a waifu deck.

Blue Star. A big-boy card, and one intended to work with our steadily developing Banishment playstyle. Deals half of its Attack(rounded whichever way Super feels best) to all other cards instead of attacking. Cards that would be destroyed by this are instead Banished. Would get a support card later.
Very nice, using a shared banishment space. If the other team are canny they'll start creating their own banishment cards to take use of this banish zone.

And finally,

Silent Orchestra. 0 Attack, can't attack. Instead, puts one of four Movements onto the top of your deck in numerical order, each doing progressively more damage to everything on the board. If Silent Orchestra somehow reaches Movement 4 without being put down(which is unlikely to happen unless you were already winning), it just automatically wipes the board.
It's a nice idea, although it locks the player in to that strategy once played (kind of like using Roll Out in Pokemon). Note that if the Skiff is in play, then the deck will be shuffled each time it's wiped from the board (for better or worse).

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2022, 04:45:54 pm »

I mean, dividing up into multiple deck styles is kinda the goal really. Otherwise we're kinda just using the same thing over and over which can get predictable fast and thus countered fast. That being said, considering several of the syndicate characters I intend to make cards for are girls, there's room for crossover in the Syndicate and Waifu branches.

As for changing the Weaver like that... honestly not interested. For one I feel like giving it 0 hearts has a risk of winding up turning it into a "spell" card with no stats for one reason or another. For two, this is intended to be a non-token option for a solid offense creature with the effect being for flavor purposes, because we have literally none of those and tokens are a lot easier to deal with than normal cards.

I feel like trying to force all cards to fit into the region effects is just limiting to creativity and can create very easy openings for counter cards that can utterly cripple a deck. Plus having cards that aren't dependent on taking advantage of a Region effect will only give us more cards that work well in all regions.

As for the Waifus, I fully admit that I'd much rather not be hamfisting that sort of thing onto any and all girl cards I make, but I'm on a team with Stirk, so it's kinda either play along or we wind up with essentially a two person team that a stranger shares a thread with. Plus it's an easy way to make a card valid for various support effects.

But yeah you do bring to mind the idea of making units that benefit from being sacrificed, considering there's a good few self-destruct cards in both our deck and plans.

Edit: part of me wants to try out the idea of making a 'pool' of similar/identical tokens that can be pulled from at random by multiple cards.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 07:17:07 pm by Failbird105 »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2022, 08:28:27 pm »

I wanna build my deck before deciding where to play and wanna know all the cards before I build my deck, so I have no preference at this time.

I think Sweeper and PGW are the only ‘human’ cards right now, but the designation does allow it to work with some Syndicate and Waifu cards.

For the record, I am anti-waifu on principle and will never make a waifu card, but yes, more waifu support makes sense for a waifu deck.

Would you prefer Husbandos then? I bet we could convince they GM they are just boy Waifus and totally count as Waifu cards.

As for the Waifus, I fully admit that I'd much rather not be hamfisting that sort of thing onto any and all girl cards I make, but I'm on a team with Stirk, so it's kinda either play along or we wind up with essentially a two person team that a stranger shares a thread with. Plus it's an easy way to make a card valid for various support effects.

Et tu Fail? Since you don’t have to declare a card a ghost or a fish you probably don’t have to declare a card a Waifu and any attractive anime-esque female will count.

@Supernerd to confirm/deconfirm

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2022, 08:31:45 pm »

Et tu Fail? Since you don’t have to declare a card a ghost or a fish you probably don’t have to declare a card a Waifu and any attractive anime-esque female will count.

@Supernerd to confirm/deconfirm

Hm. That would have to be the case in order for things to be logically self-consistent.
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2022, 08:34:35 pm »

Well, in that case time to go back and edit WARP Crew Waifu, since we've got time for editing while the other team works. the art-style of all these Library of Ruina cards is sufficiently anime I feel, even if it's Korean and not Japanese.

Edit: Now "WARP Recovery Crew"
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 08:36:21 pm by Failbird105 »

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2022, 09:58:15 pm »

The Battle Phase is now beginning!

Refer to the second post of the Core Thread to see a list of regions and their effects. You now get to pick one as your preferred battlefield. Note that a region is not guarunteed to be a battlefield unless a player from both teams chooses it. If your region is not chosen you will instead play in a random one that was chosen by the opposing team. You will want to build your deck while considering the possibility that you might not fight on your favored terrain, such is the chaos of war!

As a reminder, you cannot pick a preferred region already picked by someone else on your team for this round.

You will also need to pick what cards you want to put in your 40 card deck!
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2022, 10:46:29 pm »

Not quite a fan of the flavor text change on WARP Recovery Crew, but I suppose it ensures she qualifies as a waifu despite her more androgynous appearance. I would have written new flavor text if I had considered the possibility of that change beforehand but oh well. Now then, we've got 12 cards to build a 40-card deck with. The gunslinger is a very solid defensive option even if she's somewhat expensive for how little she can do, but she should serve as a good solid wall. Unfortunately we don't really have a good attacker, our best damage options are Organ Harvest(limited in what it can target) Sweeper swarms(requires a decent board of sacrifices to get good value), and Restless Spirit(incredibly fragile).

I'm going to go with one of each of our 2 Star cards and two Nightly Sweeps. It'll be tomorrow that I fill in the other 36 cards though.

Also I want to note: technically, we have a whole lot more support for the Space Station than it seems, because we've got a good variety of Card Colors.

A question, Supernerd: is this game going to be portrayed in the more standard style of 'just two players playing a regular card game' or the more game-story segregated 'the cards just represent actual things' with which there can be a lot more descriptive fluff text on the actions taken.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 10:48:25 pm by Failbird105 »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2022, 10:56:59 pm »

So our win conditions are:
Overwhelm with numbers from various card effects
Isekai something too tough to take down repeatedly, or summon PHW with someone that can wipe the enemy field and give her a direct hit

We can probably work with that.

I’m stuck on a phone right now so I’ll let you guys pick your spots :-/

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2022, 03:41:17 am »

I pick Valley of the Kings!

I mean, dividing up into multiple deck styles is kinda the goal really. Otherwise we're kinda just using the same thing over and over which can get predictable fast and thus countered fast.
Oh absolutely. But at a rate of 1 card each per design phase moving forward we might not get to that level of full diversity fast.

Edit: part of me wants to try out the idea of making a 'pool' of similar/identical tokens that can be pulled from at random by multiple cards.
This is a neat design space.

So our win conditions are:
Overwhelm with numbers from various card effects
Isekai something too tough to take down repeatedly, or summon PHW with someone that can wipe the enemy field and give her a direct hit
Basically! We have a few different tricks up our sleeve, depending on how we each build our decks. Won't know until we try them out, but I think our star generation is pretty good for throwing out the powerful effects.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2022, 08:03:51 am »

You forgot to include your deck. You have to create a 40 card deck too.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 33