Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal People Entities Suggestions  (Read 1114 times)

Lurksquatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animal People Entities Suggestions
« on: September 07, 2022, 09:41:13 am »

I've been thinking about making a mod with Animal People civilizations. Nothing fancy, I wouldn't really be adding or changing anything, just making a few new entities comprised of different animal people. I won't be doing all of the animal people, though, since, well, there's a lot of them lol. I'll probably just stick with 10-20 or so. Any suggestions on which ones I should do? Any ideas for (small) changes or additions I should make?

EDIT: Changed wording for clarity.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 12:15:11 pm by Lurksquatch »

Vanzetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animal People Entities Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2022, 10:50:12 am »

You should definitely use Leopard Seal Men, to honor the memory of Bim Silversnarl the Rapid Violator of Shadows, the Hero of Balance, Slayer of Endless trolls and Total Slacker.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2022, 02:02:00 pm »

I had been thinking for a while of doing something similar, and decided i didn't want to be specific about which species to include, I wanted it to be random, so I came up with making four different civs for tropical, temperate and polar, those being small omni/herbivores, small predators, large omni/herbivores, and large predators. Small being equal or less than 70,000cc and large being greater than 70,000cc.

That gives you twelve civs in total, the actual population selected randomly, but equipment appropriate provided for them based on size. The omni/herbivores civs can include some carnivore species that aren't explicitly predatory, and the predators civs include some species that are omnivores but known to act as predators of opportunity, giving some overlap of species and possibility of seeing the same species in two different civs. Then I'd make ethical/value differences between the two that drive them to war with one another and certain other civs, creating a little bit of chaos in worldgen.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2022, 05:27:56 pm »

Please do Rattlesnake People.

Lurksquatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2022, 04:16:12 pm »

-Leopard Seal Men sounds legit, but I'm not sure if I want to use marine animals. I'll think about it.

-I like that methodology. I think I'll use that to help pick what I use.

-I'm hesitant to use reptiles, but only because the wiki says egg-laying animal people are bugged. I'll think about it.

Durmatagno

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep Canceled: Playing Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2022, 04:32:49 pm »

Take a look at Dwarf Fortress Revived

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=161832.0

It tmods animal people to be a little less glitchy, maybe see how they did it.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2022, 06:37:10 pm »

Take a look at Dwarf Fortress Revived

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=161832.0

It tmods animal people to be a little less glitchy, maybe see how they did it.

Yeah, there's definitely stuff that needs to be removed from animal people to make them more playable in fort mode.