Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nice Combo: Wrestling, Thrower, Ambusher  (Read 1059 times)

protobob

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Nice Combo: Wrestling, Thrower, Ambusher
« on: September 11, 2006, 10:37:00 pm »

I've had my most succes to date witha Wrestler, Thrower, Ambusher. I build the character with about even Wrestling and Throwing, with Wrestling slighter higher. Then I read a book while I 'game' my character to high level ambusher in a town (go into sneak mode, and press right and left arrow keys down).

The benefits: Wrestler gives you both offense and defense. Throw attack doesn't break sneak. With high sneaking no one can see you to attack you.

Giants and Cyclops, which in the past have always been the death of my straight mace/shield/armor characters, are now not too much trouble. Sneak into a room with them, throw things (pikes, spears, swords, axes do well) at them till they are distracted (ie. vomiting, giving into pain, etc.) then go in, gouge out their eyes, break joints, etc. Henchmen miss a lot but they get in a few lucky hits that help out. Generally close the deal with lots of strangling.

Still not invulnerble, though. My last great character was a Legendary Wrestler, Grandmaster Thrower, Legendary Ambusher. He was Perfectly Agile, Superhumanly Tough, but only Very Strong. He moved at the speed of 1800 (he traveled light) and moved at the same speed wether sneaking or normal. He ripped the eyes out of cyclops and giants and strangled them to death.

He thought he was immortal, towards the end, and traveled to a Dark Tower with his last two remaining comrades. At first the goblins were easy, and he took pleasure in grabbing their swords and shields from them and throwing them back at them. Mmm, the smell of crippled goblin joints in the morning. But then he got sloppy. A Goblin Swordmaster got the drop on him and our hero found that he couldn't for the life of him grab the sword from the Goblin's hand. And so Momo Glossedirons, the Stern Pine of Glimmers was struck down by a Goblin Swordmaster.

skeightmachine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nice Combo: Wrestling, Thrower, Ambusher
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 01:01:00 am »

Ahh yes, your poor wrestler, while quite tough and agile, was not strong enough to pry the sword from the goblin swordmasters grip. I have that problem too, but I get sloppy and forget to disarm the tough opponents and they get a lucky mortal hit in before I realize whats going on.