Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What would your style be in a Sci-Fi setting?  (Read 373 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
What would your style be in a Sci-Fi setting?
« on: September 04, 2022, 08:24:07 pm »

All you know is that you're being chucked into a sci-fi setting, tricked out in a manner that suits you.

What would you like?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: What would your style be in a Sci-Fi setting?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 08:42:37 pm »

8)
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022, 09:50:26 pm »

just gimme that isekai system loadout and praise hypnotoad, because the setting probably won't be for very long

alternatively, just provide one golden thumb and we're good

... alternatively alternatively, one multiversal teleporter set to Culture or somethin', a multiverse scanning e-book reader, and an implant or whatever that lets me run multiple synch'd up copies of myself -- to hell with whatever rando sci-fi setting you're sending me to, I'm going to AI ran glorious post-scarcity space heaven and then I'm going to read incessantly and in parallel for the next few centuries
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 02:18:00 am »

I want a lightsaber, a gun, and a robot horse, so I can join the space cavalry!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2022, 02:29:50 am »

I'm a sucker for somewhat realistic sci fi where it takes hundreds of years to travel to another star if it is nearby, making space colonies extremely isolated and hard to have any control over.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2022, 02:34:10 am »

Let's see.

I'd prefer being in the Culture, of course, but as someone who is making a worldbuild, whatever entity is about to dimension-warp me is going to send me to my own setting (which is mostly hard SF except for FTL being a thing). Assuming I end up in its "present", 2230, I'd... well I'd enjoy a humanity that got over its bigotry issues, proceed to genemod myself into an anthro fox, then uhhh... get an education all over again and then just vibe for the rest of my life. Maybe be a space tourist to alien worlds.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2022, 07:30:29 am »

...one in which I can maintain myself (in a benevolent manner, I hasten to add) as a continuing mind-in-a-box, long after my implanted neuro-electronic interface has itself outlived my original organic self. Perhaps it would be nice to have partial personalities working independent of me (but to my own agenda), but not to the (at one time) same degree as Lobsang or as an attempt to become the controlling/guiding mind for the planet/system/galaxy/world. (Though, no doubt, if I could do this then so could others, and some less initially altruistic - hence why I would have to CRUSH ALL OTHER ATTEMPTS carefully monitor the situation and try to nudge matters TOWARDS THE BETTER FUTURE!!!! along more equitable paths of progress...)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 07:32:02 am by Starver »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2022, 01:55:01 pm »

I'd go for fully automated luxury space communism and sit around reading books, drinking tea, and tending my plants. Maybe after like a hundred years I'd do something useful, but right now I just want a soothing, relaxing rest.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2022, 04:35:58 pm »

Just give me a towel

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2022, 04:56:33 pm »

All you know is that you're being chucked into a sci-fi setting, tricked out in a manner that suits you.

What would you like?
This is contradictory, for what suits me is not necessarily what I would like.

What suits me is Standard Stormtrooper gear and orders to eliminate rebel scum.
What I would like is a small ship loaded with weapons and ton of rum.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2022, 05:16:52 pm »

What would you like?
This is contradictory, for what suits me is not necessarily what I would like.

What suits me is Standard Stormtrooper gear and orders to eliminate rebel scum.
What I would like is a small ship loaded with weapons and ton of rum.

I can do flying a jetpack tipsy shouting about questionable politics.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2022, 07:11:51 pm »

Oh fuck yeah, I get to live in a Culture-like world. I get me a body of the opposite sex that's built as such from the ground-up rather than being as close as we can get with modern technology, and I get to fuck about until I do everything I want to do then either die of my own accord or sublime as an individual and become one with the higher-dimensional reality!
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2022, 06:34:39 am »

If I could reach for any sci-fi, and there were no limitations whatsoever, I think I would reach for a setting where I end up grabbing so much whilst losing so much along the way - which is very sci-fi appropriate. Like achieving clinical immortality or joining a hive mind whilst losing the self, or traveling across the stars without number and forever redefining your relationship with the wide wide world