Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Without AI or FTL, how does humanity "win?"  (Read 1732 times)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Re: Without AI or FTL, how does humanity "win?"
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2022, 02:02:47 am »

I never said it should be uncontrolled.

"Stable offworld populations" represents a new level of poverty. No one will ever want to spend their life off Earth without terraforming, and that's a 1000's years process.
You underestimate the amount of humans who are crazy enough to do exactly that.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2022, 03:19:31 am »

You know you could live in a little pod city while the terraforming process is happening.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2022, 05:53:35 am »

You know you could live in a little pod city while the terraforming process is happening.
This too. By necessity, an extraplanetary base won't be as cramped as current space installations, to prevent the crew from going insane.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2022, 06:19:55 am »

The idea behind this thread looks like a tower of incorrect assumptions stacked on top of each other.

The main problem of humanity is not a lack of AI (already achieved to a certain degree), and it certainly isn't a lack of FTL travel. The main problem is that there are strong incentives for individuals to do things that are bad for the collective.

Compare it with your own body cells. All of them act very strictly in the best interest of the whole organism (you). If some of them no longer do, that's called cancer and it will kill you. Now let's not be overly cynical. Most people act for the benefit of the group most of the time (call it group pressure, social norms, law and order or altruism - the result is the same). But not everybody and not always, of course. And it is difficult to do the right thing even if you try your best, because modern life got so complicated. If we want to get ahead (and "win", however you'd define it), this is the core problem we need to solve. The number one priority. If we manage to coexist for another 10.000 years without killing each other, we could make a technological leap beyond imagination.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2022, 12:17:20 pm »

"Stable offworld populations" represents a new level of poverty. No one will ever want to spend their life off Earth without terraforming, and that's a 1000's years process.

You assume they'll have a choice.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2022, 12:52:39 pm »

"Solar suicide bombers" is what everybody wants to hear in their defence meetings. Nah man, ain't happening.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2022, 03:11:06 am »

Regular bombs will be just as effective in space as they are on Earth, so no need for fancy space bombs.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2022, 05:12:26 pm »

"Solar suicide bombers" is what everybody wants to hear in their defence meetings. Nah man, ain't happening.

It's a catchy phrase for some sci-fi.

"Solar suicide bombers"

It could mean so many different things!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]