Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animals Scratching at Doors  (Read 1093 times)

Sky-Streamer

• Bay Watcher
  • You are filled with AN EXCESSIVE NUMBER OF BOLTS.
    • View Profile
Animals Scratching at Doors
« on: September 16, 2022, 01:40:26 pm »

At the moment, a consistent problem involving FPS is passive / farm animals trying (and failing) to path through doors, leading them to absolutely tank the FPS. A way that this could be solved (or, at the very least, alleviated) is by having some animals - when unable to move through a door - simply start scratching at it, waiting for a bit, then scratching again. This will also slightly weaken the quality of wooden doors (greatly so if it’s a larger creature doing the scratching).

This will add a bit of realism to how cats and other smaller animals react to doors being locked, as well as other creatures - such as elk birds - being feasibly able to do so out of curiosity (and also having the limbs to do so).

Adding a small delay of waiting after each scratch (400-500 ticks, or 2-3 seconds) can also make it less FPS-Strainuous than how it is now.

This could be able to be modified by a new tag that gives them this behavior, [ SCRATCHING ]. BUILDING DESTROYER, CANOPENDOORS, CAN_LEARN and animals without a beak or front / grasping limb can not utilize this tag. For flightless birds, they are also able to peck at the door.

Giant variants of animals are not able to do this, though the offspring of animals listed are able to.

The creatures that could utilize this tag would be;

Livestock:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Surface:

Underground:

To calculate how many points of wear a door gets from a scratch, the game uses creature’s size to get the number. Cats, of course, get a x4 damage bonus.
i told you about those stairs man
i TOLD you DOG

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Animals Scratching at Doors
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2022, 02:47:55 am »

Scratching at doors should wake up nearby dwarves with a negative thought.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2022, 03:24:20 am »

I wonder what what causes an animal to claw at a door? Or rather what prevents an animal for doing so, the cause is obviously to get to the other side. I don't think horses do it, for one, because the way they can rear up isn't good for scratching, neither are their hooves. That probably applies to most hooved mammals, like cows and antelopes. That leaves us pretty much with the one you've listed, a list of mostly carnivorous non-vermin.
But what about sized-up animals? Would like a giant hedgehog scratch at a door? A giant ant? 
And could animals with horns/strong legs try to headbutt or kick the doors?

Sky-Streamer

• Bay Watcher
  • You are filled with AN EXCESSIVE NUMBER OF BOLTS.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 11:53:12 am »

I didn't think of that! I'd imagine horned animals may try and headbutt through doors out of desperation rather than a simple desire to come inside - kicking it down entirely would be both annoying and painful for the animal and whatever dwarves are on the other side, but if they're trying to get away from something it could definitely happen. With sized up animals, I'd imagine some of the sized up vermin could - but giant livestock/benign animals like hedgehogs would probably be too large for scratching on the door (let alone fitting in it). This also counts for the Rutherer - shouldn't have added that in retrospect.

After looking at the raws for creature sizes, only baby giant animals are really comparable to dwarves and could be able to even go through doors. Dwarves are 60k cm^3, while most giant creatures are ~200k.
i told you about those stairs man
i TOLD you DOG

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2022, 04:09:00 pm »

I think the notion of size restricting who can fit through a door can be overlooked here, until it matters in the game in general, and we get e.g. multitile creatures. As it is a dragon (or a giant hedgehog) can fit through a 1-tile corridor with ease, while a small amount of kittens (three?) need to crawl if they want to fit in the same space.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 12:04:54 pm »

It should get dwarves attention to let the cat or whatever in the door, which would be a cute new little activity for dwarves.  It would also be fun deceptive behavior by mischievous creatures like gremlins or whatever to annoy and/or gain access to places they can't normally get into.