Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trouble with improving Unicorns to have smeltable bones [Help]  (Read 880 times)

scrunge

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Trouble with improving Unicorns to have smeltable bones [Help]
« on: September 19, 2022, 05:58:04 pm »

Hello

Unicorns should have metal bones that can be smelted. I've tried to make this happen gifting unicorns a unique type of bone material, which I had hoped I could require at a smelter, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Within the unicorn entry in creature_standard:
Code: [Select]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BONE:GLIMMERBONE_TEMPLATE]
[BONE:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BONE:SOLID]

In reaction_smelter:
Code: [Select]
[REAGENT:A:450:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:SILVER]
[REAGENT:B:3:BONES:NO_SUBTYPE:BONE:UNICORN]
[PRODUCT:100:4:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:SHIMMERSTEEL][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]

The issue is with the reaction, since Unicorns do appear to have special bones when I butcher them, and I can choose to embark with Shimmersteel tools.

Is it possible to define specifically unicorn bones in this reaction?

Thank you,
scrunge

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble with improving Unicorns to have smeltable bones [Help]
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 10:56:58 pm »

1. You may want to check the wiki articles on item tokens and material tokens, rather than just guessing at what stuff you can use. There is no bone item and BONE:UNICORN is an invalid material; I suspect you want [REAGENT:B:3:CORPSEPIECE:NO_SUBTYPE:CREATURE_MAT:UNICORN:BONE], and if that doesn't work, just use EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT to drop a tool instead.

2. All reaction-makeable metals are possible to embark with unless you explicitly mark their material as [SPECIAL].

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Trouble with improving Unicorns to have smeltable bones [Help]
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 01:42:22 pm »

You cannot define specific creature parts in reactions due to a bug (any corpsepiece will be considered valid), but this can be done.  What you do is as follows:

1. Create an inorganic metal, and designate it as [SPECIAL] to prevent it from appearing in caravans.  (Only inorganic metals will appear in smelter menus, though if you want a reaction you can designate a creature material instead.)
2. Create a new tool that does nothing, called for instance BONEPIECE.
3. Add [BUTCHER_SPECIAL:TOOL:BONEPIECE] to the material.  This will cause body parts made of the material to be cut up into the custom tool when the creature is butchered (like how meat and fat turn into meat and glob items).
4. Set unicorn bones to be made of this metal.

Now when unicorns are butchered, their bones will be automatically converted into metal bonepiece tools.  Smelters should allow you to melt them down into metal bars and reforge them.

Alternatively, you can skip the tool and just give the metal [BUTCHER_SPECIAL:BAR:NONE] which will cause the bones to be chopped up into smeltable bars, or some other meltable item like blocks.

Note that BUTCHER_SPECIAL will automatically determine the number of resulting items based on the volume of the tissue and the size of the item it will be cut up into.  It will round down for each part, so if you use a big object like a boulder you might not get anything.