Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: If we have Human-level chatbots, won't we end up being ruled by possible people?  (Read 2294 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just to win this argument:

The guy who wrote that Simulators article specifically generated this as a proof of concept.

The future is scary, who knew.

And what is so impressive here? That it kinda looks like a piece of literature? It is not a conversation. It is not even a long novel with a consistent plot

I would be very much more impressed with a GPT that would reliably understand the concept of a 20-year person becoming a 21-year on their birthday or GPT that always remember that a mute character can't speak. Or even a GPT that will manage to describe a long coherent 3 vs 3 fighting scene... But even those would be merely good at imitating literature, nothing more
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

The point was that it could build it's way from one concept to the next, to the next. With GPT-3.

I'm talking about the FUTURE here people. The first word in the title is If. The whole OP is contextualized around GPT-X.

That minimal capability, taken far enough, is enough to impact your decision making, if it can grasp the concepts through the power of language patterns better then you do.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The point was that it could build it's way from one concept to the next, to the next. With GPT-3. 

No... It does no such things. There are no concepts in its "mind". It sees words and probabilities. It is very simple peace of literature with few characters and mostly dialogues.  Because it is so simple, parroting what GPT read works. It won't if you add more characters and complex situations

I'm talking about the FUTURE here people. The first word in the title is If. The whole OP is contextualized around GPT-X.

It doesn't matter how many parameters a GPT model has or how big a context it can use. There is no understanding, there is no planning, there is no personality, there is nothing.

That minimal capability, taken far enough, is enough to impact your decision making,
There is zero capability of what you claim. It understands nothing. Nothing except probabilities in human-generated texts it read.

As I said, future AIs may be far more advanced and may do what you claim. GPT can't! No matter how powerful or advanced GPT will be, it will stay a tool for parotting human-generated texts with zero understanding of anything. What you are saying is like a 19th-century person saying "Future trains will be able to fly in the sky with the speed of sound!". No, trains physically can't do this, we needed a very different vehicle to achieve this

« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 02:19:40 pm by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

You don't need understanding when you have probabilities. If you can tweak the parameters until 90% of the time it spits out something correct, on a vast library of subjects, in a vast range of contexts... that's intensely useful. And you will be able to do that in the future.
Reading a thinner book

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You don't need understanding when you have probabilities. If you can tweak the parameters until 90% of the time it spits out something correct, on a vast library of subjects, in a vast range of contexts... that's intensely useful. And you will be able to do that in the future.

1) Yes, it is useful. Yet, those things are not smart. One of the key elements of intelligence is the ability to learn from experience. Generative Pre-trained Transformer can't learn from experience by definition. And I don't care that some people call GPT an AI. It isn't. My cat possesses more intelligence. An ant possesses more intelligence (aka not zero)

2) Nah, it won't give you a correct answer. It will give you the most probable answer. It absorbs mistakes and misconceptions from the training data just as well as truth.  Google search is (and will be) a way better way to find the correct answer.
Also, good luck with math, anything abstract or non-standard.

3) The whole point of your OP is that there will be smart enough GPT to manipulate us. If being a useful tool that can give useful answers is manipulation, computers manipulate us starting from day 1. And calculators... And compasses... And clocks...

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

I gave the very specific example of how it conveys the information. Characters. Language patterns.

I'm really just a character and a language pattern to you, and I influence your thinking even when I'm not trying to manipulate you.

And before you say it; if it's in character for that character to manipulate you... it will manipulate you.
Reading a thinner book

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I gave the very specific example of how it conveys the information. Characters. Language patterns.

I'm really just a character and a language pattern to you, and I influence your thinking even when I'm not trying to manipulate you.

And before you say it; if it's in character for that character to manipulate you... it will manipulate you.
Every tiny bit of information influences me. Human brain is not a closed system.

Manipulation in psychology is a behavior designed to exploit, control, or otherwise influence others to one’s advantage

Now describe how exactly a GPT model can do this. I am listening. You can start with how can a GPT model determine what is in its advantage

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile

Just to win this argument:

The guy who wrote that Simulators article specifically generated this as a proof of concept.

The future is scary, who knew.

And what is so impressive here? That it kinda looks like a piece of literature? It is not a conversation. It is not even a long novel with a consistent plot

I would be very much more impressed with a GPT that would reliably understand the concept of a 20-year person becoming a 21-year on their birthday or GPT that always remember that a mute character can't speak. Or even a GPT that will manage to describe a long coherent 3 vs 3 fighting scene... But even those would be merely good at imitating literature, nothing more
I've been playing around with NovelAI and it can do those things. It can even keep up a semblance of a conversation, sort of. But it's pretty clear that the stories it writes are AI-generated, it needs some steering to really shine. I just use it to mess around in fantasy/SF worlds I create.

But yeah, at no point did I feel like I could get manipulated by a character in one of those stories, no matter how compelling they are. That just sounds idiotic.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 10:14:25 pm by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

Every tiny bit of information influences me. Human brain is not a closed system.

Manipulation in psychology is a behavior designed to exploit, control, or otherwise influence others to one’s advantage

Now describe how exactly a GPT model can do this. I am listening. You can start with how can a GPT model determine what is in its advantage

If you fully inform not a GPT model, but a character, of it's situation; which I literally linked someone doing with a current model, with the right linguistic habits, it can logically induct the correct move from that characters perspective. If you believe a character can say "don't shut off my simulation" in the current model, you can believe it acting realistically in a future one with more complexity.

As the guy I linked put it:

"HPMOR characters make clever simulacra because the "pattern of their language matrix" favors chain-of-thought algorithms with forward-flowing evidence"

The right language habits, and there you go. You just need the right setup.
Reading a thinner book

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile

What even is your point? Yeah sure, GPT can create convincing characters, and it can answer certain kinds of questions pretty well with the right training, which makes it useful. What I, Strongpoint, and KT don't get is how you are making the leap from "well-written character" to "character that manipulates you somehow despite not only not being self-aware but also having nothing physical to coerce you with".
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

A song isn't self-aware but a good one manipulates you plenty.

The right words and the right notes are all that's ever needed.
Reading a thinner book

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You keep using that word but... Good songs don't manipulate us.

To manipulate: to control something or someone to your advantage, often unfairly or dishonestly  Tell me how a song can control me to its advantage.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile

No it doesn't. A song can't compel and socially engineer me into doing something like a skilled human would.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's like he doesn't know what manipulate means or what a chat-bot is.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

If you can't understand how a song can push you into doing things you otherwise wouldn't, this conversation is hopeless.

For the record: Disambiguation (also called word sense disambiguation or text disambiguation) is the act of interpreting an author's intended use of a word that has multiple meanings or spellings.
Reading a thinner book

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4