Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Something Important I Discovered About Swimming  (Read 3081 times)

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
Something Important I Discovered About Swimming
« on: September 20, 2022, 05:38:43 pm »

I started as adequate swimmer vampire and decided to ONLY ENTER water while spamming skipping time on keyboard. Turns out YOU ONLY NEED TO BE IN WATER FOR YOUR SWIMMER SKILL TO LEVEL UP!!! Moving around or beaten distance doesn't matter. I checked this in object testing arena. You may thing moving around is helpful but beating single tile in water with underleveled swimmer takes more time than 10 ticks.

So you know, next time you make an adventurer don't just give him adequate skill and start as novice, even not a swimmer if you can be vampire. A small murky pool in warm/hot area should keep you levelling swimmer long enough before freezing water if it ever would. YOU DON'T HAVE TO MOVE AROUND!!!

The water I was in while testing was a giant pool, not running water.
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Something Important I Discovered About Swimming
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2022, 01:14:30 am »

There might be times when grabbing hold of something and climbing out of water is safer than trying to succeed in swimming out. It's a slow action, so you might drown if you're already winded. Probably not very useful beyond dabbling swimmer.

You could also just stand in level 4-6 water, though you're not likely to find that outside of player forts. (Maybe you could hold on to something at the top of a waterfall and not get swept away?)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 01:21:47 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2022, 05:53:30 am »

There might be times when grabbing hold of something and climbing out of water is safer than trying to succeed in swimming out. It's a slow action, so you might drown if you're already winded. Probably not very useful beyond dabbling swimmer.

You could also just stand in level 4-6 water, though you're not likely to find that outside of player forts. (Maybe you could hold on to something at the top of a waterfall and not get swept away?)

Vampires are [NOBREATHE] and therefore immune to drowning.
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2022, 06:27:49 am »

You might need to swim across a river to reach vampire blood, however.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2022, 11:52:10 am »

You might need to swim across a river to reach vampire blood, however.

HA HA!!! Werebeastless world dice rolling does boom.

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2023, 09:30:46 am »

Now that you can start adventure mode with a party of adventurers, this makes training your whole party a little bit easier. Find a bridge or brook, do a lap with adventurer A, park him in the water, switch to adventurer B, do a lap, park in water. Rinse and repeat. Save often and try not to drown.

It helps the two characters' skills raise more or less evenly, and an equal amount of laps should raise endurance and toughness evenly between them, too.

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2023, 09:49:02 am »

Now that you can start adventure mode with a party of adventurers, this makes training your whole party a little bit easier. Find a bridge or brook, do a lap with adventurer A, park him in the water, switch to adventurer B, do a lap, park in water. Rinse and repeat. Save often and try not to drown.

It helps the two characters' skills raise more or less evenly, and an equal amount of laps should raise endurance and toughness evenly between them, too.

Thanks, but I never use assist of other sapients.