Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The dead are walking straight into a river  (Read 3138 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: The dead are walking straight into a river
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2022, 07:43:54 am »

Only objects can be washed off, and even then, sometimes they're pretty stubborn.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2022, 10:08:38 pm »

My game is running kinda slow already (250 years of history seemed like a good idea at the time. A decision i regret) and adding 70 corpses has the game running at a crawl. Needless to say, i need to get rid of the bastards. But ten dwarfs against 70 is.. not good odds. Has anybody had a problem like this before?
If you're planning to buy a new computer... now is the time before the economy gets really really bad.  Something to consider if you have only 10 dwarves and 70 enemies is bringing your game to a crawl.   My very old computer I would often take past 300 years and never had anything which slowed the game to unplayable levels.  I'm actually excited to see what my current computer can do in dwarf fortress and its 5 years old.

Zackanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Busy Smoothing out a area i'll never look at again
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2022, 04:55:08 am »

Oh don't worry about me, i figured out that the reason my fort was lagging was because i had crammed some 50 bards (or more) into a small 5x5, 6X6 tavern? Somewhere around there, and then had my 100 dwarves also use that tavern... Needless to say, there was a lot of collisions. And my game handled that fine enough! Then 70 zombies decided to path to one river tile. That's when i started getting problems.

I appreciate your concern, and it might be getting time to get a new computer anyway, but for my df needs, i think i'm fine

CyberianK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2022, 05:33:00 am »

Once the units are gone, build a 3 to 5 wide bridge over the river and it will never be a problem again (new invaders/migrants will use the bridge instead of the river-exit).

You seem to be a river expert. Do you know if there is a way to safely remove wood logs which fell into water (except DFhack that I know) from cutting trees? My dwarfs don't collect it from inside there. Do they need to learn swimming first to be able to do that? It looks really ugly with all of the wood logs in there.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2022, 06:17:28 am »

Do you know if there is a way to safely remove wood logs which fell into water (except DFhack that I know) from cutting trees?

The only way is to pump out the water.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Zackanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Busy Smoothing out a area i'll never look at again
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2022, 06:45:45 am »

You can hide items that fall into water from the [d]esignation menu, it's in a sub menu somewhere...

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2022, 07:02:06 am »

You seem to be a river expert. Do you know if there is a way to safely remove wood logs which fell into water (except DFhack that I know) from cutting trees? My dwarfs don't collect it from inside there. Do they need to learn swimming first to be able to do that? It looks really ugly with all of the wood logs in there.
I rarely have rivers (my chosen site-style precludes them), but when it comes to ponds 'beneath' trees that I want to fell (that aren't already evapourated or probably going to become so) I'll build floors over them (probably with logs from 'safer' tree-cutting previously done nearby) and stop anything falling into the water when I do fell the pondside timber. Then remove the floors. Progressively, if I need to do it without risking floor-cavein and/or disasembled materials being dropped in before being hauled away.

You could extend that to rivers, I'm sure. But only in advance, otherwise it's almost always necessarily hydroengineering time, as suggested, one way or another.
Pages: 1 [2]