Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 40

Author Topic: Shadow Empire PBEM round 2: game on  (Read 28840 times)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadow Empire PBEM round 2: setting up
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2022, 12:34:48 pm »

Note to the new players: you need the beta from Matrix. Steam is behind on versions or something.
The Steam Beta Branch looks to be up-to-date with version 1.11.09- though the launcher still says 1.06 for some reason.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadow Empire PBEM round 2: setting up
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2022, 04:00:19 pm »

Note to the new players: you need the beta from Matrix. Steam is behind on versions or something.
The Steam Beta Branch looks to be up-to-date with version 1.11.09- though the launcher still says 1.06 for some reason.

ah ok. I was worried for a moment there. looks like I'm up to date.

edit: so begins my journey as Supreme Dictator of The Hounds of Dando.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 05:03:49 pm by Salmeuk »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Shadow Empire PBEM round 2: tentatively started
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2022, 06:09:17 pm »

We're on!

Fear the Burghers of White Castle.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadow Empire PBEM round 2: game on
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2022, 06:56:34 pm »

Okay, I stand by my "I'll be okay" analysis, but it's gonna be a lot uglier than I thought based on the first turn. I hate my neighbors. They're not the absolute worst, but they're pretty awful.

[Depending on how I count a front, I've got 3-6 fronts ATM. !FUN! ]
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 07:41:54 pm by E. Albright »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2022, 08:21:34 pm »

For spectators and posterity, don't let EA's whinging take you in. It is I that have the worst starting position! The genius running this thing before me build up giant farms but there's absolutely no water to supply them. Measures are being taken to rectify this, and hopefully the state remains solvent in the mean time, and only some of us starve. At least I have no shortage of sand to fill up these bags.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2022, 08:27:48 pm »

wait how do I have second highest pop while also being tied for last in terms of total land owned?? what kind of gigantic empire did this lucky bastard in front of me inherit..

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Diary of Salmeuk the III, Supreme Dictator of the Empire of The Hounds of Dando

Autumn of 102

"These are good times for pencilnecks, or so I hear. . .

I watched from the ivory gardens as the burning pyre boat containing the corpse of my late father drifted further and further away from me. After some time it sank, burying him underneath the forever clear waters of Lake Wanenna, and  It was I, Salmeuk the III, wise prince and charming suitor, survivor of my two siblings, who would inherit these provinces, and command these armies.

But first, a swim in the lake. And maybe a party at the mountain chalet in the evening, in the south. After all, why had my father built the rail network if not to use it . . ?

Winter of 102

These advisors make me want to off myself. Every SINGLE day, another request for budgetary adjustments from this secretary of my late father, Ophelia... why she cannot simply figure these things out for herself is beyond me. Why, exactly, did father employ her for 20 years if this the result? And why exactly does Ophelia seem to wield so much influence in this palace?

And don't get me started on these governors. I have half a mind to recall the lot of them, removing these irrationally separated "zone borders" from the maps, and make things nice and simple for myself.

News from the borders is not helping my stress. I could barely enjoy my caspian carp egg soufflé during tonight's performance of The Mutant of Venice, after hearing about the strange talking squid creatures that attempted to communicate with the ///////////// who opened fire without consulting with ///////////// resulting in the loss of ///////////// and the last reports were hundreds crawling out from the giant ferns of the region. Ab-so-lutely horrifying. You see, this is why I am a prince and not a soldier!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 08:54:30 pm by Salmeuk »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2022, 06:05:08 am »

I would like to take a moment to congratulate the previous Assistant Branch Manager of White Castle for putting her feet down despite all the detractors complaining, and building that ice mining facility right next to a lake after all.
Her justification was, as per the records, 'to rub salt into the eyes of Grognard Republic'.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2022, 08:29:03 am »

She was hard of hearing. I wanted more salt on my fries. I hope the quality of service has improved with the new regime.

(Geez, if anyone says they started with a metal mine build I'm going to shrivel up into jerky)

Good news this turn is my spy found some water. Bad news is the several thousand IP it will take to build a road there.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 08:34:05 am by Karlito »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2022, 01:21:38 pm »

For the record: I have 6 fronts, and one area where I'm just resigned to indies taking territory w/o resistance. Makes me glad I don't have to worry about water since I'm going to be devoting my resources to addressing personnel shortages even if I (ha!) never have any casualties.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2022, 02:17:06 pm »

Also what happened to all my dudes?
I think that's the free folk communes. They're unusually large (a few 30-40ks per zone with a city is what I'm seeing).
So, I'm guessing if someobdy went and reappropriated a lot of the land of their neighbours from the get go, they suddenly have large population. Like EA apparently has many neighbours, so he may have taken a lot of villages. If all you have is non-aligned wastelands, there's less to claim leading to less population on the list.
In terms of cities themselves, I bet we all started with less than a 100k in each.

For the record: I have 6 fronts, and one area where I'm just resigned to indies taking territory w/o resistance. Makes me glad I don't have to worry about water since I'm going to be devoting my resources to addressing personnel shortages even if I (ha!) never have any casualties.
I think I'd prefer that to nothing but Polymer Troglodytes as far as the eye can see. Not counting that one city I have surrounded from turn 1. More neighbours = more opportunities for snowballing. There's no glory in fighting animals.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2022, 02:43:52 pm »

Just to be clear, of those 6+1 fronts, only 2 of them are tax-paying (or in this case, dodging) Galactic Republic citizens who can be properly audited and brought back into full regulatory compliance. The rest are misallocated resources (human and otherwise) needing decomissioned and/or repurposed.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2022, 03:00:07 pm »

Hmm. Looking at the list again - ~8% vs ~5% seems like a bit too much of a difference to account by a few (even if 40k-ish) villages.
It might really be that Karlito's is a true desolate wasteland.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2022, 03:06:30 pm »

My two peripheral towns are level I with about 20k guys (though they started with a level II private asset somehow). Anyway it will be a while before population is the constraint, so I'm hoping I can even things out before then.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2022, 04:10:55 pm »

That's just the RNG playing favorites, then. My aux towns started off at 60k and 55k, each with a Lvl III private ag asset and a Lvl II private transport hub.

Also 65k, 80k, and 80k free folk in my zones, though that went down ~25% as soon as the 2nd turn rolled around and indies started reclaiming territory far away from my cities.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 04:16:04 pm by E. Albright »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2022, 05:40:25 pm »

So, wow. Why does this take so long to process? Other than the human players, the settings are rather similar to what I usually play. And this is taking, like, 10-15 minutes instead of maybe a couple.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 40