Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40

Author Topic: Shadow Empire PBEM round 2: game on  (Read 28926 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadow Empire PBEM round 2: game on
« Reply #555 on: February 14, 2023, 11:45:30 pm »

Nope, not during the game, b/c explaining some of the nuts and bolts would make it easier for you to mitigate them. Some are also generalizable to conventional artillery, and I don't want to make your artillery corps more effective. But mostly, it's the former. Once you start vaporizing my mounds of paperwork and seem to be figuring out what does and does not work, I might be more willing to talk about it, but right now, it feels very much like the only thing keeping me from being overrun.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: February 14, 2023, 11:49:23 pm »

I honestly have no idea what arcane knowledge you could be talking about here, but fair enough.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: February 15, 2023, 01:35:20 pm »

On another note, open and closed betas should be on the same subversion now, so there should be no question about the new recon/spycatching changes affecting everyone regardless of what player is processing what part of the turns, and we'll all be on the same page with the little fiddly recruitment/transfer changes, etc.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: February 15, 2023, 02:12:11 pm »

Is the regime intel being so thorough despite open war something that's considered a bug? It kinda annoys me how we keep having such detailed info on each other still. It made some kind of sense when we had open contact/peace. Now it's no effort free intel.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: February 15, 2023, 05:29:19 pm »

The intel is from our spies. I'm assuming you're dumping lots of spies into me; I'm certainly doing it to you. It's gonna be harder to maintain them now, though. In theory. That's what's supposed to happen, anyway.

It's possible that this level of detail isn't intended, though. I've seen some long-standing bugs that were taken for granted get fixed in the last couple months.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: February 15, 2023, 08:35:23 pm »

I honestly have no idea what arcane knowledge you could be talking about here, but fair enough.

It sounds like with all forms of artillery you need to just keep hitting the same provinces.
E. Albright has picked one area and is using nukes as area denial tools.

If you advance around that area, and proceed to advance in more of a checkerboard pattern (alternating advancing forces), you might have more luck than just trying to run the football down the center all the time.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: February 15, 2023, 09:49:14 pm »

Heh. ATM, I'm the main one being denied access to those hexes. I pushed back the lines in that glowing hellscape, but can't follow up by moving my lines forward to create a sustained push. My troops just don't have the same motivation to die of exposure as WC's oil-hungry private-sector fry cooks.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: February 16, 2023, 02:16:48 am »

Sounds like Armor should be the only units trying to advance.  The Nukes have probably eliminated all cover and Armor is better protected from radiation.

While building up the tank force, the infantry should guard the outside of Hellhole Zero.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: February 16, 2023, 02:36:39 am »

I'm just gonna say that I have no idea what's being talked about at some points but I have found the entire thing incredibly entertaining.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: February 16, 2023, 02:55:55 am »

Sounds like Armor should be the only units trying to advance.

Just to be clear, in the Great Glow the rad levels are high enough that armor also risks dying. The place where the intrepid entrepreneurs are willing to die to squeeze out the last 9k units of oil is by far the most impressive at 1823 RAD, but there's like 5 or 6 hexes that are 1500+. When you hit 1500, vehicles and battledress infantry both have the same 10% casualty rate. Once the oil well is built, tanks and power armor huddling in it will be safe, but even then they'll have rather large readiness/morale penalties - and if the power goes out they'll probably be in the 5% casualty range.

That area is just a mess. We both have solid battle lines on the periphery, but to attack the opposite lines there we need to send troops to the outer Glow, and risk getting pushed back into the middle. ATM, we're mostly just fighting around it. There's plenty of room for that.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 03:17:24 am by E. Albright »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: February 16, 2023, 08:39:27 am »

When the well gets built, Imma just gonna close it. Again. I have enough population and happiness drain as is. Until another bright Rockefeller scrounges enough cash and desperadoes to try digging another.
EA, don't you want to be charitable for a while there and capture the hex? Maybe your outpost dwellers will be more sensible stewards of the deposit.

In general, I wouldn't mind the glow holding the front line like it does, if it weren't for the fact that every such hex was bought at the cost of thousands dead burghers. In White Castle we call it the Frying Pans. Pretty sure it's haunted.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 08:44:59 am by Il Palazzo »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: February 21, 2023, 04:36:24 pm »

Just mentioning that it's not me hogging up the turn this time. Since that's unusual for you two, maybe somebody forgot to send it along?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: February 21, 2023, 09:15:53 pm »

It's me hogging it up, though I only got it a couple days ago.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 04, 2023, 04:15:28 pm »

Sooooo...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 04, 2023, 05:52:36 pm »

Oh, shit. That's me again. On it!
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40