Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40

Author Topic: Shadow Empire PBEM round 2: game on  (Read 28752 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Shadow Empire PBEM round 2: game on
« Reply #570 on: March 04, 2023, 05:54:29 pm »

Oink Oink!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 05, 2023, 03:22:08 pm »

Had to redo the whole thing with a new concept, because of course I forgot to play the one stratagem I absolutely needed to play this turn. Bleugh.
As the mushroom forest keeps growing unabated, I find pleasure in seeing the strategic situation unfold pretty much like I thought it would should my initial strike fail.

Also, the new spying calculations are a major nerf. Not as much in terms of spies dying (that I can see), but in how much info they are able to provide.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: March 05, 2023, 06:06:52 pm »

Well, you're now doing your part to spread mushrooms, too, even if you won't be spreading big ones for at least another turn or two.

And that's hardly reassuring, b/c the strategic situation is unfolding more-or-less like I've expected: I've only managed to push you back in flat, open terrain and even then only once I had nuke support online... while your troops continue to push back superior numbers of my troops in defensive formations even when they're entrenched in mountains - and we're taking heavier casualties than you when you do so. When you deploy your own tactical nuclear missiles in a turn or two, I don't see how I won't just be overrun - especially if you don't get as utterly underwhelming a roll for weapon design as my launchers' 61.

I can't be too dark and gloomy, though - I'm positively glowing now that the aliens of Apoto Territory finally decided to join me. You may hold the most radioactive hex on the planet, but I certainly hold the most radioactive region...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: March 05, 2023, 06:23:14 pm »

And that's hardly reassuring, b/c the strategic situation is unfolding more-or-less like I've expected
You're talking about tactical, maybe operational 'successes'. I'm talking about long term prospects. What good does it do me if I make a successful conventional push in a hex, if next turn I lose it together with two battalions' worth of troops. Meanwhile, I'm bleeding population well beyond replacement rates. You simply can lose what you're losing, and more. I can't.
I see now that I should have attacked Mabarion twenty turns ago, while it still had its large cities and some untapped resources. But I banked on the extra troops tipping the scales on our frontline. Now I'm just looking at you growing exponentially, while I'm not even stagnating any more.

Btw, that alien territory shows that war, war never changes :P

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: March 05, 2023, 06:29:39 pm »

Strategic prospects only matter if I can achieve at least tactical gridlock, which will be a lot harder once you start nuking me, not that it's easy now. My population centers are a lot closer to the front than yours - and my capital in particular is dangerously close. You don't have to grind me down to nothing, you just have to grind me down to missile artillery range from Montana. Which is what, 9 hexes? That's really not that far back from the front.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: March 05, 2023, 07:08:08 pm »

9 hexes as well might be on the Moon for my ability of getting there.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 05, 2023, 07:13:42 pm »

...the closest part of the front is 10 hexes from my capitol. You managed a breakthrough there and got a salient to 9 hexes before I cut it off a couple of turns ago.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 05, 2023, 08:43:43 pm »

Yeah, so it's 8 hexes range actually. And it's not like I could just put my expensive missile artillery on the first hex that's in range, unless for a one-off hail Mary strike before they all get annihilated.
And while I of course will keep trying for the lack of better ideas, I do think that ship has sailed. But hey, maybe the shitty 1 Mt nukes will make a difference and I'll manage to crawl in through the mountains and radiation and stacks of troops before I run out of people.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 05, 2023, 09:12:47 pm »

@Karlito: You enjoying the show?

From the sound of things, Il Palazzo & E. Albright both are doing so poorly that they should just give peace a chance.

Because hey War, what is it good for?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 06, 2023, 12:30:56 am »

@Euchre but you're missing the most important point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LSTO7vpJg4

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: March 08, 2023, 02:40:48 pm »

I'm picking away at the turn. Playtesting picked up and has been eating most of my SE time, but I'll find time to have it ready for Karlito to do their turn on the weekend.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 17, 2023, 11:44:42 pm »

Well I still don't have it but don't have time to play this weekend anyway, so no great hurry.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: March 18, 2023, 12:21:05 am »

Yeah, sorry. I'll get it to you this weekend so you'll have it when you have time.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 23, 2023, 07:38:50 am »

I can only assume it's my most recent Unparalleled & Amazing New Operational Concept [TM] that is putting the 'pro' in somebody's procrastination this turn.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 23, 2023, 10:27:00 am »

Nah, just real life work.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40