Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24

Author Topic: The Gate of Dreams - Wretched Nest (5 / 5) - 13 - Guest Update  (Read 24278 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
The Gate of Dreams - Wretched Nest (5 / 5) - 13 - Guest Update
« on: September 23, 2022, 09:06:57 pm »

You are aware that you are dreaming. Everything seems just the slightest bit unreal, a bit blurred in ways that simply would not occur in reality.

This is no ordinary dream, however. As time passes, you can feel your heart pounding, every beat distinct. Your wispy, uncertain form coalesces into solidity. Your awareness expands. The details of your surroundings become more firm and visible, sharper than reality. The form you wear is not your physical body. Though it's not the slightest bit similar to your true self, you nonetheless feel at home in it, like it was made for you. The folds of your clothes - some bizarre yet oddly appealing costume - feel smooth and soft and solid to the touch.

"The Outer Gate has fallen."

You view your surroundings - they crisp into focus. You're standing in the middle of a square room, where the walls are made of a smooth amber crystal, the ceiling covered in daggerlike amber spikes, all of them oriented... towards the center of the etched circle you're standing in. The floor is made from a pitch-black stone, somehow soft to the touch. What a strange dream this is. You take a breath, and you feel more alive than you've ever felt before. The circle glows amber and black, then fades away, melding into the stone floor. You are simply... present, in the door-less room.

"As per protocol, defenders have been summoned from the ideal population to defend the Inner Realm of Dreams."

So that's what this is, some kind of adventure? A heroic quest?

An orb of green appears, hovering in the air in front of you, before it crystalizes, and unfolds into a catlike thing - only far too long, hovering in the air, and covered in spines instead of fur.

"Applying Crest." The creature speaks in a voice that resonates in your head more than your ears, then its tail unfolds into a long spike. Despite your instinctive attempt to evade it slams into your chest.

Everything is pain, and that's when you know you're fucked. Your uniform, your costume, your magical girl outfit flares to life in colors that feel so much like you - not that you can appreciate that, since you're too busy screaming.

What is this game? An homage to three previous RTDs I loved. Special People, Roll To Magic, and Perplexicon all have places in my heart, even years later. To put it simply, you the players are magical girls. You will be going on missions to defend the Inner Realm of Dreams from the Outsiders. You will be able to complete objectives, some primary, some secondary, to earn shards to permanently empower yourself with. As magical girls you have powerful magic capabilities - that you don't know how to use. You'll have to experiment on the fly with your magical dictionary of mystery words to figure out how to get what you want out of your powers.

What happens if my character dies? You stay dead under normal circumstances. You may then create a Legacy based on your character's history in the game to bestow upon another player of your choice. (You'll hash out the details with me privately for this.) After that, you can create a new character sheet to go on the waitlist with.

What can I do while I'm on the waitlist? Good news! Some missions may have Outsiders that non-players can directly control via votes, or other systems you can influence! If you want to get in the game faster? Kill the current living players.

How do I get in, in the first place? You fill in the signup sheet. I'll choose three players based on sheet quality and two players randomly to fill the initial five.

Can the game itself be won or lost? Yes. Fail to complete too many missions and the Outsiders can locate and attack the Inner Gate of Dreams. Fail to defend that and the Outsiders enter reality, which is game over. Winning is a more complicated matter, but it is possible. Note that if the situation is bad enough it may be worth retreating on a mission to save your lives and thus your progress. Think of it as similar to XCOM - weigh your lives against the cost of failure.

Tell me more about this RTD stuff. Do I really have to go over basic RTD rules at this point? Okay sure.

Tell me more about this magic stuff. Well I can't go into too much detail, but here's the basics.

Spoiler: Magic (click to show/hide)

I want to know more. Too bad. You'll figure it out as you go. Learn from your fellow players, that'll help. Also, check out the Codex entries for publicly available information.
Words of Power
Soul Progression

Can you at least tell me about Words? It wouldn't be magical girls without rampant individualism. Everyone has their own individual set of words. Some words may be shared between players, others will not be. Think of it as a magical, fragmented, confused language you can use to describe your spells, if you can pay the cost and weather the failures.

How do I sign up? Submit a character sheet. I'll order the waitlist based on order of posting after I select the initial five.

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

Playerlist:
-Luna's Vestige / syvvaris
-Golden Flare / Lenglon
-Heavenly Clerk / Fluffe9911
-Skylord / Devastator
-Ignorance's Witch / Egan_BW

Waitlist:
-Dawnlight Thorn / IronyOwl
-Platinum / MCreeper
-The Puppeteer / Knightwing64
-Incarnate / Blackpaladin99
-Sword-Piercing-Darkness / VermilionSkies
-Apparition / Naturegirl1999
-Sol, The Horizon / Horizon
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 07:32:27 pm by FallacyofUrist »
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams - A Magical Girl Perplexicon-Style Adventure (0 / 5)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 09:08:23 pm »

IN

Will post character sheet tomorrow it’s kinda late for me

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 10:02:22 pm »

Spoiler: Skylord (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 06:14:16 am by Devastator »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 10:53:54 pm »

Title: Dawnlight Thorn
Uniform: Wood clawed elbow gauntlets and heeled knee boots, leafy frilly skirt and bodice, rose petal shoulderpads and open-faced helmet. The helmet features upward-curving rose petal horns above the eyes and a mane of flowering vines off the back, both of which grow continuously while in battle or other strenuous activity.

Stats:
--Might 3 - Strike harder and resist the physical, keep going even as you bleed.
--Mobility 1 - Move quicker, evade physical attacks, strike swiftly.
--Power 1 - Empower and hate-imbue your spells. Make stronger Essences.
--Control 0 - Control and make safe your spells. Make more usable Essences.
--Will 0 - Endure wars of the mind, control that which you seek to shackle.
--Heart 1 - Be a magical girl. Use more Words in your spells.

Crest Traits:
-Heroic Form: Add +1 to your Might and Mobility rolls.

Domains:
-Vea'vatam always grows, always expands, always overcomes in the end.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2022, 01:49:23 am »

In, sheet later.  I fucking LOVED Perplexicon, and this seems to have an acceptable level of suffering to make magical girls fun.

What are "essences"?  I may have missed something but even stepping through with ctrl+F doesn't show them.  Essential Soul's value is entirely dependant on them.

Also good job making the system interesting.  RTD makes me leery in anything serious, but crests seem like a good balancing mechanic.  I'm also VERY curious what you did to the perplexicon system.  Heroic Form seems overly strong, as the only negative thing I can say?  But if it's particularly Perplexicon related then I'd expect magic to overtake physical as soon as it's understood, anyway.  Will there be stat levelups?

Edit:

Title: Luna's Vestige
Uniform: A tall girl wearing a loose fluttering cloak, extremely dark near the top, and becoming transparent and ragged towards the bottom.  It is light enough to billow in the slightest breeze.  Beneath, she wears indistinct dark robes, wrapped tight to her body by vivid blue strings.  The robes and strings cover everything except her bare left arm.  Said arm is pale, and bandaged chaotically, especially near her hand.  Hints of distorted skin shaded blue from failed experimentation with Tenae peek out between the gray bandages.  The rest of her body is healthy, but kept hidden underneath her cloak.  Scarves are piled high on her shoulders and around her neck, covering the lower third of her face, but leaving her determined scowl visible.  She has bright, piercingly blue eyes, framed by long black hair.

Stats:
--Might 0 - Strike harder and resist the physical, keep going even as you bleed.
--Mobility 1 - Move quicker, evade physical attacks, strike swiftly.
--Power 1 - Empower and hate-imbue your spells. Make stronger Essences.
--Control 3 - Control and make safe your spells. Make more usable Essences.
--Will 0 - Endure wars of the mind, control that which you seek to shackle.
--Heart 1 - Be a magical girl. Use more Words in your spells.

Crest Traits:
-Heroic Form: Add +1 to your Might and Mobility rolls. (Will change if nerfed but as is this genuinely seems ideal >.>)

Domains:
-Tenae is mysterious, a shadow that hides and strings that distort.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2022, 04:00:05 am »

Well, i'm totally in.
EDIT: Oh, the depths of creative misery...

Title: Platinum
'Uniform': Faintly pink hair that flows down to waist, covered with transparent veil and, at sides of her face, adorned with red bows matching her eyes. Simple dress with knee-long skirt colored similiarly to hair, red shoes with bows, thin white halo around the head.

Stats:
--Might 0
--Mobility 0
--Power 0
--Control 1
--Will 2
--Heart 3

(Yes, i have read the rules well. But contrarian in me says "Fuck common sense!")

Crest Traits:
Essential self, whatever it does.

Domains:
Luxhart
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 08:50:54 am by MCreeper »

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2022, 08:52:59 am »

My totally awesome sheet. (Gonna be weird playing as a female, but I’ll make it work :).)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2022, 01:45:46 pm »

Going with a balanced stat build with Steady Soul and Reaoh, which act to balance one another out a bit. Sort of scholar archetype, will benefit from experimentation.
Nerfing Might for a caster build, but failing to reach 3 in one of my casting stats might seem counterintuitive, but I think not having a malus to Will will be important for using Reaoh and not getting hurt. Assuming that I actually get more stable essences with Control 2.

Title: Ignorance's W̸͕̾̓i̷͔̅t̶̖̘͈̏͗̆c̸̟͖͗̀̐̑h̵̥͓͎͔̄̚
Uniform: Runed blue bandages wrapped tightly around the head, except for the top of the head and the left eye, which bears a monocle. Medium length straight cyan hair floats behind, as if underwater. Long, fine blue robe with gold runed trim, books with brightly shining white eye symbols on the covers strapped to each side of the robe which faintly flutter their pages. White socks and black leather shoes. Roughly average build, a bit thin.

Stats:
--Might 0
--Mobility 1
--Power 1
--Control 1
--Will 1
--Heart 2

Crest Traits:
- Steady Soul

Domains:
- Reaoh
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 01:37:40 pm by Egan_BW »
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2022, 02:14:03 pm »

In, sheet later.  I fucking LOVED Perplexicon, and this seems to have an acceptable level of suffering to make magical girls fun.

What are "essences"?  I may have missed something but even stepping through with ctrl+F doesn't show them.  Essential Soul's value is entirely dependant on them.

Also good job making the system interesting.  RTD makes me leery in anything serious, but crests seem like a good balancing mechanic.  I'm also VERY curious what you did to the perplexicon system.  Heroic Form seems overly strong, as the only negative thing I can say?  But if it's particularly Perplexicon related then I'd expect magic to overtake physical as soon as it's understood, anyway.  Will there be stat levelups?

Edit:

I do appreciate the feedback!

Yes, there will be ways to upgrade your stats.

Heroic Form is weaker than it looks (for obvious enough reasons) and Barrier Jacket is stronger than it looks (for subtle reasons, but I will still give it the '+3 for all three hits' you suggested). I'll also implement the 'guaranteed 5' thing you suggested for the Control and Power crest traits. Makes them more significant.

Essences will be important.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2022, 02:26:06 pm »

Is Control 2 better than Control 1 in any way, Fal?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2022, 02:37:55 pm »

Is Control 2 better than Control 1 in any way, Fal?
It's closer to Control 3! Otherwise, no.
Generic Arms Race.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2022, 02:50:09 pm »

Alright, does Heart 2 do anything then?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2022, 03:02:58 pm »

Alright, does Heart 2 do anything then?
Yes.
Generic Arms Race.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2022, 03:10:18 pm »

Heart 2 it is then! ;p

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2022, 03:11:36 pm »

Spoiler:  Heavenly Clerk (click to show/hide)
Never played a game like this before although have read about a couple of em. Might as well give this a shot!

« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 05:50:07 am by Fluffe9911 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24