Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 24

Author Topic: The Gate of Dreams - Wretched Nest (5 / 5) - 13 - Guest Update  (Read 24273 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams
« Reply #120 on: April 01, 2023, 08:54:36 pm »

Ignorance's W̸͕̾̓i̷͔̅t̶̖̘͈̏͗̆c̸̟͖͗̀̐̑h̵̥͓͎͔̄̚

"Hostile crippled. Recommend exterminating it while preparing for next wave."

Ignorance stands back a few paces and then casts a gaze upwards. "Champagne Gottem Champagne."
If the boar decides to charge me, slap it in its broken face.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

((Zazzalalazzaz is the new Garstorpit.))
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams - First Incursion (5 / 5) - 4
« Reply #121 on: April 01, 2023, 09:15:02 pm »

A feeling a glee flows through me and out my tail as I see the effectiveness of the spell I managed to craft through guesswork and intuition, but considering the state of the spawner of the thing...
"Hey guide, how many waves in this incursion?"
there's going to be more things coming. I need to figure out more words. No reason not to keep targeting the boar though.
"Toktok"
"Magi"
"Grep"

Spoiler: Golden Flare (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: spell notes (click to show/hide)
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 01, 2023, 10:48:25 pm »

"I think I got this.  You should probably get ready for the next one."

Boot to the head.  Lets try for a decapication.  Barring that, skull-cracking and brain destruction!

Spoiler: Skylord (click to show/hide)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 03, 2023, 05:31:48 pm »

((I'm sorry for not posting sooner.  I've hit a deadline with a collaborative project, and it keeps taking longer to finish.  Have been cramming time into it to meet said deadline.  I'll just post simple turns for the next couple, so I don't delay things further.  After the job's done I can go back to detailed turns.

Thanks for the game, Fallacy.  It's been amazing.  Try not to get wound up worrying about quality and such--that's what kills/delays a lot of the stuff I try to do (as I just showed >.<), and it'd be a shame if GoD died like that.  You've improved on the Perplexicon magic system, and even the mechanics changes are inspiring.  The game is great even on a structural level.))

"Staddom Selve"

"Erlsborne Nerel"

Spoiler: Luna's Vestige (click to show/hide)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams - First Incursion (5 / 5) - 5
« Reply #124 on: April 04, 2023, 09:18:59 pm »

[Initiative:]

Quote from: Defenders
Ignorance's Witch (Egan_BW): 46
Luna's Vestige (syvarris): 44
Heavenly Clerk (Fluffe9911): 43
Skylord (Devastator): 40
Golden Flare (Lenglon): 12+20=32
Quote from: Outsiders
Outsider Boar: 94-20=74

Quote from: Outsider Boar
Shaking and squealing, pain ever growing, but with the pain there is rage.

(Slam: 3)
(Mobility: 5+1=6)

The boar can't see, but the monoliths are hard to miss. It attempts to slam its unwanted passenger into one of them, but said passenger sharply strikes it on the head, and it stumbles past instead of striking true.

"Hostile crippled. Recommend exterminating it while preparing for next wave."

Ignorance stands back a few paces and then casts a gaze upwards. "Champagne Gottem Champagne."
If the boar decides to charge me, slap it in its broken face.

The extremely angry boar can't see where it's going, and you're quite glad for that. You carefully stand back, then perform your next invocation.

(Power: 2)
(Control: 3+1=4)

A single winged bat made of water takes to the sky, then turns into a baseball bat, descending from above.

(Luck: 1)
(Mobility: 4)

You sidestep, and it impacts where you once stood, bursting into... water. Yeah that probably (probably!) wouldn't have done much if it had hit.

"Staddom Selve"

"Erlsborne Nerel"

While your ally is experimenting with hydro-bats, you have some magical experiments of your own to conduct. Preferably on that enemy Outsider boar.

(Power: 5)
(Control: 6+1=7)

Nothing can be seen, but you feel the shape of a curved dagger form in your bandaged hand. The familiar feeling of energy without matter is present to your touch. For a weapon this well-crafted, however? It could last more than minutes. Half an hour, as a rough estimate.

(Power: 3)
(Control: 5+1-1=5)

Your shadow snaps out, distorting from being barely visible to being thick and dark, and as you look at the boar, it stretches, and soon it seems you have a mimicry of the boar's shadow. You can feel there's not enough power to sustain this effect for long -

(Willpower: 5)

But you know it's your shadow tied to your dream-form. Even if it's in boar shape, it is your shadow. What if you just...

(Resistance: 4 | (4-2=2))

By effort of will, you twist your shadow, and the boar squeals, in more pain than before. There's not much you can do to most of your shadow, but it seems your mimicry of the boar's head? Is more fragile. More malleable.

You break the thing's jaw clean off, building on the work of your team. No more nasty tusks, too.

The next moment, your shadow is your own again, though it still seems to look slightly darker than it was before.

Heavenly Clerk picks up the frying pan with shocking ease despite its apparent weight she examines it in fascination "Woahhh... I mean h-hang on guys I can actually help now!"

Time to be useful! Now I got a frying pan I can turn that pig into bacon! CHARGEEEEEE! Oh gosh my heart is pounding! This is probably a terrible idea!

You heft the pan and charge at the giant boar-thing. It's vulnerable!

(Accuracy: 4)
(Evasion: 3,5=3)

(Resilience: 4-3=1)
(Final Resilience: 6)

While it hears you approach, it doesn't quite manage to twist enough to avoid you hitting it in the head -  crushing its skull.

Black ooze drips to the ground.

It sways and shudders.

Then, wordlessly, it rushes in your direction, in a display of final, unpredictable, fury!

(Charge: 4,3=3)
(Evasion: 2)

Even though it's blinded, you're close enough that it doesn't matter.

(Resilience: 4+3=7)

It slams you with its head, and there's a crackle of dull brown light, as the certainty of your Barrier Jacket averts all harm. The boar slams to a stop, a stoppable force against an immovable object, and crumples in the process, having killed itself on your shield.

It lies still, then slowly melts away, turning into a dark fog that seems to evaporate - not via dispersion, but rather ceasing to exist entirely. Perhaps returning to whence it came. Perhaps purified by your efforts. Score one for team combat therapy!

[2 Barrier Jacket uses remain.]

"I think I got this.  You should probably get ready for the next one."

Boot to the head.  Lets try for a decapication.  Barring that, skull-cracking and brain destruction!

You're about to inflict a devastating kick, when the Clerk successfully baits the boar into killing itself on her shield.

Well played.

A feeling a glee flows through me and out my tail as I see the effectiveness of the spell I managed to craft through guesswork and intuition, but considering the state of the spawner of the thing...
"Hey guide, how many waves in this incursion?"
there's going to be more things coming. I need to figure out more words. No reason not to keep targeting the boar though.
"Toktok"
"Magi"
"Grep"

The cat-thing fills your head with telepathic language once again.

"Analysis suggests that this Incursion will perform three spawns." Good to know.

You resume your learning, seeing as the boar is in no shape to inflict harm. It's gone, after all.

(Control: 6)

A mote of power forms a long spear of red energy, then flickers out of existence a few seconds later.

(Control: 4-1=3)

A small, jagged lump of brass-like bronze about the size of your foot lands by your own foot.

(Power: 1)
(Control: 6-2=4)

You form the shape perfectly, but there's just not enough energy for it to exist for long enough to perceive it.

The Incursion portal spews pools of black slime, which consolidate into the forms of two massive black snakes with tar-dripping crystalline fangs. The massive constrictors bear three eyes apiece, and slimy scales.

The portal, however, remains. While it is weakening, dimming, broadcasting less hate - clearly it is not yet done.

[2 Turns until third and final Incursion wave.]

Spoiler: Outsider Constrictor 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Outsider Constrictor 2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Outsider Boar (click to show/hide)
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 04, 2023, 10:06:51 pm »

As the boar charges at me I cover my face behind my pan and close my eyes anticipating a lot of pain... and as a sudden light flashes I open my eyes to see the boar dead and already dissolving "I... I DID IT! HEY GUYS I DID IT I GOT THE BOAR! WOOO!" I do a little celebratory jump as my heart rate begins to settle It is only when I turn around does a sense of dread shake me to my bones as I notice more creatures coming out of the portal "Oh right... more..."

Oh gosh more?!?! That boar alone almost killed me and my frying pan is about to crumble! Oh jeez! Oh jeez! Quick think... think... uhhhhh Tavaviteve Requiem?!?

Spoiler:  Heavenly Clerk (click to show/hide)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 04, 2023, 10:19:12 pm »

Now to see if I understand these correctly
I aim at the constrictor I have the clearest shot at, and cast a spell that I think I understand.
"Magi Myne Annul"
afterwards I duck back behind the piller I've been using as cover.

((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 05, 2023, 12:49:54 am »

Luna's Vestige turns on a dime as soon she realizes what she's created, and shouts towards the two by the remains of the boar.  She lifts the newly created energy dagger high, rushing towards them.

"Yes Suit, very good!  Jacket!  Here!"

She presents the dagger blade-first towards Skylord, already looking back towards the newly spawned snakes.  She drops the dagger without waiting for Skylord to take it from her.  "Ahhh, damn!  Those are a lot bigger!  Hope I'm right about these words, er.."

She thrusts her left hand towards the snakes, making her cloak billow out as she shouts her spell:  "Hasten Staddom Zorthul!  Kill the snakes!"

After a moment, she pulls her arm back and awkwardly thrusts it out again.  "And... Merlin!"

oops forgot boldtext.  Give Skylord dagger, cast spell at sneks, cast smoke to hide in and provide cover while fleeing

Spoiler: Luna's Vestige (click to show/hide)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 05, 2023, 01:20:06 am »

"Ahh.. Thanks cape!"

.."I don't think I got them.  Need some magic!"

Grab the dagger.  For the moment, try to keep my distance, and cast two spells in the vague direction of the enemy, trying to create something out of nothing.

Tarnweywey Eatsalthlat!

And then one more word.

Uizzal!

« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 02:57:18 am by Devastator »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams
« Reply #129 on: April 05, 2023, 01:50:01 pm »

"Contact. Taking cover, will fire support. Gottem Zazzalalazzaz Arquebus."

Hide behind one of the pillars and fire my spell through cover. Aim to cripple both opponents, if possible.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 05, 2023, 01:57:48 pm »

((an arqubus champange would probably make a good weapon for me to hand off. Kinda want to find a nice solid material for it though, Gottem might not be very effective and Zazzalalazzaz would be damaging but probably hazardous to the wielder.))

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams - First Incursion (5 / 5) - 6
« Reply #131 on: April 09, 2023, 12:09:23 am »

[Initiative:]

Quote from: Defenders
Skylord (Devastator): 76
Golden Flare (Lenglon): 55+20=75
Heavenly Clerk (Fluffe9911): 64
Luna's Vestige (syvarris): 52
Ignorance's Witch (Egan_BW): 29
Quote from: Outsiders
Outsider Constrictor 1: 96
Outsider Constrictor 2: 30

Quote from: Outsider Constrictor 1
Unspooling free from the abyss, but in this great bright world there is still much to hate.

One of the two hideous serpents peels its eyes over the gathered defenders, fixates upon the seemingly panicking Clerk, and slowly slides towards her.

(Mobility: 2)
(Evasion: 1)

(Might: 4)

It begins to wind around her legs, but at that point she tosses the serpent away reflexively.

"Ahh.. Thanks cape!"

.."I don't think I got them.  Need some magic!"

Grab the dagger.  For the moment, try to keep my distance, and cast two spells in the vague direction of the enemy, trying to create something out of nothing.

Tarnweywey Eatsalthlat!

And then one more word.

Uizzal!

You start by invoking a spell of conjuration at the more immediately threatening snake.

(Control: 4)

You gesture in the direction of the more immediately active snake, and invoke your first spell. Several sections of the snake's scales seem to harden and firm, becoming swelling leather cords that dig into the loose sands, rooting it in place.

(Control: 2-1=1)

Power spills from your hand and fails to congeal, unfortunately wasted.

You take the time to take the cloaked girl's creation once she gets it to you - it feels like a dagger, though you can't seem to see it at all. The weight is in your hand, though. A useful backup if your attempts at casting prove non-viable. You hold Heroic Form, after all.

Now to see if I understand these correctly
I aim at the constrictor I have the clearest shot at, and cast a spell that I think I understand.
"Magi Myne Annul"
afterwards I duck back behind the piller I've been using as cover.

Skylord casts a spell that roots one of the giant snakes in place, which seems like ample opportunity to take it down, to you.

(Control: 2)

The spell congeals within you, tears free of your control, and materializes. A large, razor-sharp shard of bronze embeds itself into the ground in front of you.

Not as effective as you had hoped, admittedly.

As the boar charges at me I cover my face behind my pan and close my eyes anticipating a lot of pain... and as a sudden light flashes I open my eyes to see the boar dead and already dissolving "I... I DID IT! HEY GUYS I DID IT I GOT THE BOAR! WOOO!" I do a little celebratory jump as my heart rate begins to settle It is only when I turn around does a sense of dread shake me to my bones as I notice more creatures coming out of the portal "Oh right... more..."

Oh gosh more?!?! That boar alone almost killed me and my frying pan is about to crumble! Oh jeez! Oh jeez! Quick think... think... uhhhhh Tavaviteve Requiem?!?

You stumble away from the snake that tried to opportunity-grab you and attempt to protect yourself from further attacks.

(Power: 4-1=3)
(Control: 6)

You're suddenly wreathed in dimly glowing brown frying pan handles. The protection doesn't feel very sturdy, and it looks absurdly awkward, but it's better than nothing. Probably won't last too long, though.

Luna's Vestige turns on a dime as soon she realizes what she's created, and shouts towards the two by the remains of the boar.  She lifts the newly created energy dagger high, rushing towards them.

"Yes Suit, very good!  Jacket!  Here!"

She presents the dagger blade-first towards Skylord, already looking back towards the newly spawned snakes.  She drops the dagger without waiting for Skylord to take it from her.  "Ahhh, damn!  Those are a lot bigger!  Hope I'm right about these words, er.."

She thrusts her left hand towards the snakes, making her cloak billow out as she shouts her spell:  "Hasten Staddom Zorthul!  Kill the snakes!"

After a moment, she pulls her arm back and awkwardly thrusts it out again.  "And... Merlin!"

oops forgot boldtext.  Give Skylord dagger, cast spell at sneks, cast smoke to hide in and provide cover while fleeing

You might finally be getting the hang of this magic thing. You hand off your invisible dagger to Skylord - she catches it as you drop it.

(Control: 2+1=3)

You thrust out your hand, and from the aether of dreams, three large bats made of bone materialize. They chitter-clatter-screech, and fly off, one impacting a monolith, another flying upwards, a third hitting the sands and struggling up.

They appear to lack eyes entirely, for whatever reason.

(Will: N/A)

While your magic has created their matter, you lack the capacity to rule their proto-minds on an ongoing basis.

(Control: 2+1-1=2)

Your other attempt at casting creates a small puff of smoke from your fingertips. It could hardly be called a cloud.

An Essence would have been helpful, there.

Quote from: Outsider Constrictor 2
Resistance is expected. Strike at the strongest point and the remainder shall crumble.

The second snake takes the time to choose the most capable target - the magical girl who just bound its paired brethren.

(Accuracy: 5)
(Mobility: 4+1=5)

It proves to be much faster than its slower sister, but as it strikes, Skylord leaps back, easily keeping distance.

"Contact. Taking cover, will fire support. Gottem Zazzalalazzaz Arquebus."

Hide behind one of the pillars and fire my spell through cover. Aim to cripple both opponents, if possible.

You aim to supply some decisive 'fire support'. It seems sorely needed.

(Control: 1+1=2)

Your jet of foggy purple mist only extends a foot or two forwards, and fades into oblivion faster than your headache does.

The last of the portal shudders and shifts, and begins to crack like an egg.

[1 Turn until third and final Incursion wave.]

Spoiler: Outsider Constrictor 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Outsider Constrictor 2 (click to show/hide)
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 09, 2023, 12:25:57 am »

((Hmm, the control:2 result here is interesting and odd to compare to my last control:2 result which was a very similar spell to the one that I cast this turn.))

the only differences in spells is this turn i got power: 5 instead of power: 3, and I used the word for (i assume) bronze instead of the word for (i assume) fire. but the difference in result is dramatic.

for anyone interested in helping me solve this puzzle, Myne is (i assume) the word for sharp, and Annul is a word that does not function properly when cast alone with no target, and who's effects are unknown. I had previously thought it caused the spell to home in on the target's eyes, but I no longer think that's the case considering the result this turn.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 01:48:39 am by Lenglon »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 09, 2023, 04:36:08 am »

(It might be because of Fire being a homonym, causing it to shoot itself at the boar.  "Fire -Something- Sharp" and "Bronze -Something- Sharp", say.  Maybe try Fire Bronze Sharp next?

Annul might just be a shape or an adjective or something, like maybe Thin or Narrow, say.)

Spoiler: Word Scratchpad (click to show/hide)

Jump at the bound snake and stab it with the sharp thing.  Hopefully it'll last long enough to get the job done.

While I'm in the air, cast a Tarnweywey spell at myself.  Hopefully it'll just make me grow instead of making plants explode out of my mouth or something.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 04:40:31 am by Devastator »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 09, 2023, 01:23:50 pm »

((Thank you very much Dev, I think I'll put that theory to the test. And I think you might be right, Annul might mean Shard))
((You might be able to loot and use a spear after this turn))

What? Why?
I look at my spell result in confusion, unsure what I did wrong, before aiming again at the snakes and trying something that could, maybe, work out in several different positive ways depending on what I had wrong before.
"Taqquin Magi Toktok"
My intent is to fire spear at snake, but if it puts the spear into my hands or into the ground in front of me then I intend to throw it like a javelin if it's small enough, or use it as a defensive weapon if it's too large for that. Of course, if the entire thing is on fire I don't plan on burning myself.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 01:39:39 am by Lenglon »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 24