Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 24

Author Topic: The Gate of Dreams - Wretched Nest (5 / 5) - 13 - Guest Update  (Read 21075 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams
« Reply #135 on: April 09, 2023, 01:47:11 pm »

Ignorance's W̸͕̾̓i̷͔̅t̶̖̘͈̏͗̆c̸̟͖͗̀̐̑h̵̥͓͎͔̄̚

"Hmph. Network is being stubborn now. Let's try... Aaazzz."

Make Essence. Perhaps that process will give me information. Also, stay in cover behind pillar.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams - First Incursion (5 / 5) - 6
« Reply #136 on: April 09, 2023, 04:56:40 pm »

((Would y'all appreciate a Gate of Dreams Discord server, or a channel in the general Bay 12 Forum Games Discord, for out-of-character information tracking, discussion, and theorycrafting?))
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 09, 2023, 05:09:58 pm »

((Feel free to join us in the Einsteinian Roulette IRC :3 ))
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 09, 2023, 06:39:03 pm »

((Would y'all appreciate a Gate of Dreams Discord server, or a channel in the general Bay 12 Forum Games Discord, for out-of-character information tracking, discussion, and theorycrafting?))
(That would be neat)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 09, 2023, 07:29:53 pm »

((yes))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 09, 2023, 10:35:05 pm »

((Discord link: here))

((All actions should still go in the thread, and so will all the turns.))

((Also! webadict's BYOR 16 could definitely still use a few more players, if anyone is interested in playing some Mafia and isn't already signed up.))
« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 10:42:13 pm by FallacyofUrist »
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 10, 2023, 05:19:23 am »

"Erlsborne Ulvulme."

"Cruulvous Hasten"

Say spells.  First is directed towards the un-enchanted snake.  Second is expected to summon anomalous pieces of bone; inspect them to see what's strange about them.  Are they especially heavy?

Spoiler: Luna's Vestige (click to show/hide)

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 10, 2023, 02:24:18 pm »

"Uhh! Uhh! Uhhhhhhhh! CHARGEEEEEE!"

Internal Screaming as I charge the nearest snake with what's left of my frying pan

Spoiler:  Heavenly Clerk (click to show/hide)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams - First Incursion (5 / 5) - 7
« Reply #143 on: April 10, 2023, 11:52:14 pm »

[Initiative:]

Quote from: Defenders
Luna's Vestige (syvarris): 63
Golden Flare (Lenglon): 37+20=57
Skylord (Devastator): 41
Heavenly Clerk (Fluffe9911): 37
Ignorance's Witch (Egan_BW): 7
Quote from: Outsiders
Outsider Constrictor 1: 94-40=54
Outsider Constrictor 2: 50

"Erlsborne Ulvulme."

"Cruulvous Hasten"

Say spells.  First is directed towards the un-enchanted snake.  Second is expected to summon anomalous pieces of bone; inspect them to see what's strange about them.  Are they especially heavy?

You continue your newfound tradition of performing testing and combat simultaneously.

(Power: 6)
(Control: 6+1=7)

To your surprise, you draw a heavy volume of energy and shape it with even greater force and precision, turning your new spell into a force to be reckoned with.

There's no bolt of energy, no winding strings, no grasping shadow. One moment the snake you're eyeing is preparing to strike, the next it seems to have no idea how to move in its skin, which changes to a more humanlike coloration.

Your tongue strikes across your serpentine fangs, as your every motion suddenly feels much more fluid and flexible.

Emboldened, you cast your next spell.

(Control: 4+1=5)

With a massive thump something hits the sands in front of you. You reflexively (with newfound reflex) pull your foot out of the way.

There's a depression in the sand, but you can't see anything there.

You tap the seemingly empty space with your foot, and feel bone. Aha. You kick the bone. Doesn't feel heavier than bone should.

[Gain Serpent's Boon for [3 Turns]. Roll with advantage for your first Mobility roll each [Turn], and gain +2 to dodging rolls in general.]

What? Why?
I look at my spell result in confusion, unsure what I did wrong, before aiming again at the snakes and trying something that could, maybe, work out in several different positive ways depending on what I had wrong before.
"Taqquin Magi Toktok"
My intent is to fire spear at snake, but if it puts the spear into my hands or into the ground in front of me then I intend to throw it like a javelin if it's small enough, or use it as a defensive weapon if it's too large for that. Of course, if the entire thing is on fire I don't plan on burning myself.

Well, one of the snakes is pinned down. Maybe you can put a spear through it.

(Power: 5)
(Control: 6)

A bronze spear wreathed in flames materializes and, propelled by your will, hurls towards the bound snake, leaving a trail of reddish smoke in its wake.

(Might: 2)
(Mobility: N/A)

It hisses in shock and attempts to forcibly break free of the leather roots binding it to the earth. It doesn't manage that very well, or at all.

(Resilience: 1-1=0)

Unlike the boar your team fought earlier, the serpent lacks the sheer bulk and rage needed to tank something like a long flaming bronze spear stabbing it through the head. Much like the boar, it dissipates into nothingness, and the hateful aura weighing down on you weakens.

Quote from: Outsider Constrictor 2
Repeating the same tactic is a quick path to failure. Especially since the most dangerous defender present just revealed herself.

(Accuracy: 2-1=1)
(Mobility: 5)

The remaining giant serpent hastily writhes towards the spear-caster who just obliterated its brethren, only to get trivially juked through the use of a conveniently present monolith.

Jump at the bound snake and stab it with the sharp thing.  Hopefully it'll last long enough to get the job done.

While I'm in the air, cast a Tarnweywey spell at myself.  Hopefully it'll just make me grow instead of making plants explode out of my mouth or something.

The bound snake is no longer bound. In fact, it no longer has any presence in this plane.

Well, may as well try enchanting yourself.

(Control: 1)

Your wild hair suddenly grows much wilder. In fact it grows several feet and tries to tie your arms.

(Might: 1+1=2)

Surprised as you are by the sudden growth of your mane, it's not long before your arms are tied together in front of you by your own hair, constricting firmly around them.

Well that's inconvenient.

"Uhh! Uhh! Uhhhhhhhh! CHARGEEEEEE!"

Internal Screaming as I charge the nearest snake with what's left of my frying pan

Maybe you really should put more effort into learning this magic stuff - too late, charging snek now.

(Accuracy: 5)
(Evasion: 1-1-1=-1)

It's not paying attention! In fact it looks frustrated and ornery. Now's your chance!

You stomp with all your magical-girl-therapist-frying-pan-technique-user might.

(Resilience: 4-2-1=1)
(Final Resilience: 5-1=4)

Despite your full intent and glorious strike, you only succeed in caving the thing's head in, not killing it. Still, it doesn't look like it'll be mobile any time soon.

"Hmph. Network is being stubborn now. Let's try... Aaazzz."

Make Essence. Perhaps that process will give me information. Also, stay in cover behind pillar.

Well, minus Skylord's minor hair issue, things seem to be proceeding swimmingly, though you haven't gotten around to dumping an ocean on the battle area yet. Maybe you'll try experimenting with Essences.

(Power: 2)
(Control: 6+1=7)

You manage to catch a tiny mote of power, but before it can slip away, you tighten it with all the threads of your control you can manage.

It settles gingerly into your Crest.

You don't feel any different... but you know what you have wrought. It's not great, in all honesty - but it's a start.

[Gain -2P/+2C Essence of Aaazzz.]

The puissant aura of hatred and spite you all feel seems to double in scope, as the portal distorts, changes, and takes on a new form, turning itself inside out.

A gigantic praying mantis with needlelike legs and four bladed arms rises, four eyes glaring independently down on you all, and a giant, throbbing, ooze-dripping crystal embedded in its chest.

You can sense its intent. It wants nothing more than to kill each and every one of you, decorate the sands with your dream-blood, and flee to take root - but it'll settle for escaping if it must.

Spoiler: Outsider Constrictor 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Outsider Constrictor 2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Outsider Blade-Mantis (click to show/hide)
Generic Arms Race.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams - First Incursion (5 / 5) - 4
« Reply #144 on: April 11, 2023, 12:42:54 am »

Okay, that fixed it. needed to "fire" the summoned object.
first, cull the wounded one while word-testing.
I aim at the skull of the wounded snake that is chasing me. if it is defeated before I can act (or if my shot is blocked), I instead target the mantis with this spell.
"Taqquin Verle Versnold!"
next, arm myself.
after that, I attempt to run over to the flaming spear left behind when the first snake was defeated and see if I can pick it up and use it safely.

Spoiler: Golden Flare (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: spell notes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 06:20:00 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 11, 2023, 03:02:32 am »

Luna's Vestige steps away from the human-skinned snake, raising her bandaged hand and inspecting it.  She twists two of her fingers around each other in a half spiral, raising an eyebrow as she does.

"...Very interesting!"

She turns to look at the newly-arrived mantis, her eyes bright.  "Second verse, same as the first?  Let's see if I can take those blades too!"

Rush towards the mantis, but try to circle around it in a direction that would draw it away from the others.  Cast "Erlsborne Selve!" at it while doing so.

Then cast this spell at it too, for good measure: "Anzakreave Wendelnelve"

Spoiler: Luna's Vestige (click to show/hide)

[Serpent's Boon: Roll with advantage for your first Mobility roll each [Turn], and gain +2 to dodging rolls in general.] [3 turns left]

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 11, 2023, 03:11:59 am »

"Grrrr!"

Use the invisible dagger to cut my arms free.

Cough out another spell, directed at the Mantis in general.

Qunnai Zelthenegen

Spoiler: Skylord (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Word Scratchpad (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams
« Reply #147 on: April 11, 2023, 01:01:13 pm »

"Disappointing. But still, Perhaps I can compensate..."

Run up to the Mantis and [Aaazzz] "Gottem Gottem Gottem!", Attempting to crush or drown the bug through sheer volume of water and Control.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

[-2P/+2C Essence of Aaazzz]

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 12, 2023, 06:14:21 pm »

"Please Die! Please Die! Please Die!"

Finish it off please it's so gross and scary AHHHH!

Spoiler:  Heavenly Clerk (click to show/hide)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams - First Incursion (5 / 5) - 8
« Reply #149 on: April 13, 2023, 05:04:05 am »

[Initiative:]

Quote from: Defenders
Luna's Vestige (syvarris): 84
Skylord (Devastator): 59
Heavenly Clerk (Fluffe9911): 57
Golden Flare (Lenglon): 29+20=49
Ignorance's Witch (Egan_BW): 29
Quote from: Outsiders
Outsider Constrictor 2: 48-50=-2
Outsider Mantis: 34+10=44

Luna's Vestige steps away from the human-skinned snake, raising her bandaged hand and inspecting it.  She twists two of her fingers around each other in a half spiral, raising an eyebrow as she does.

"...Very interesting!"

She turns to look at the newly-arrived mantis, her eyes bright.  "Second verse, same as the first?  Let's see if I can take those blades too!"

Rush towards the mantis, but try to circle around it in a direction that would draw it away from the others.  Cast "Erlsborne Selve!" at it while doing so.

Then cast this spell at it too, for good measure: "Anzakreave Wendelnelve"

Seems like you've changed a fair bit - but nothing that isn't to your advantage, at least. More experimentation is required - and look, you have a fresh test subject!

(Control: 3+1=4)

A curved, fuzzy dark-purple dagger materializes from your hand and hurls towards the mantis-thing.

(Mobility: 5+1-1=5)

It twitches, and flashes to the side, the dagger sailing by harmlessly, deflecting off a monolith, and landing in the sand, where it's likely to fade in a few minutes if you don't do anything with it.

Well. How rude.

(Power: 3)
(Control: 5+1-1=5)

A small purple chakram materializes and whistles from your hand - better aimed, but certainly slower than the dagger.

(Mobility: 4+1-1=4)

It tries much the same maneuver, but it's caught flat-footed after dodging your first attack. Suddenly, a second (darker) purple chakram erupts from the sand and flies at the mantis as well!

(Mobility: 1+1-1-1=0)

This one doesn't merely surprise it, it doesn't so much as notice the second chakram until it's already hit.

(Resilience: 6)
(Resilience: 3-2=1)

The first chakram deflects off one of the mantis' blades, only leaving a small crack, but the second takes it in the head and embeds itself.

How wonderful. How interesting.

"Grrrr!"

Qunnai Zelthenegen

Right, magic can be messy sometimes. You get that.

(Might: 2+1=3)

You don't have much leverage, but you're a magical girl, not some chump. And you have an invisible knife. Your newly formed hair bindings just... take a bit to get through.

[Initiative delayed by 20 points this [Turn].]

"Please Die! Please Die! Please Die!"

Finish it off please it's so gross and scary AHHHH!

Screaming inside your head, you drive your somehow-durable fancy work shoes into the snake as best you can.

(Evasion: N/A)
(Resilience: 1-1-2=-2)

You smash it in the head and it evaporates into a fine mist, and then nothingness. Yeah, that'll do it. Whew. Oh thank goodness...

Oh right, there's still a big scary blade mantis with tar-like blood dripping down its head and maw from the spinny blade thingy someone drove into it.

Fear resumes.

Okay, that fixed it. needed to "fire" the summoned object.
first, cull the wounded one while word-testing.
I aim at the skull of the wounded snake that is chasing me. if it is defeated before I can act (or if my shot is blocked), I instead target the mantis with this spell.
"Taqquin Verle Versnold!"
next, arm myself.
after that, I attempt to run over to the flaming spear left behind when the first snake was defeated and see if I can pick it up and use it safely.

Well, it looks like for all that the Clerk is acting all frightened, her combat instincts are as good as the rest of your team.

The mantis-thing looks dazed after Vestige landed a nasty trick attack, so you decide to follow up, especially as it looks like it's about to move.

(Control: 5)

Writhing red-black flames appear, swell, and form into dozens of murder hornets, still burning as their stingers turn black and shiny.

You don't need to sustain a connection with these. You just need the mantis dead.

(Evasion: 2,3=2+1=3)

It tries to hurl itself away from the encroaching swarm, but even with its speed, it's not exactly easy to dodge a swarm of giant hornets. And it still has a chakram embedded in its head.

(Resilience: 3)

Each and every hornet explodes with a pop of red angry flames, leaving sharp black stingers embedded in the thing's wounds. Nothing vital, but incredibly debilitating.

Quote from: Outsider Blade-Mantis
Odds of total success - low. Escape is prioritized!

(Mobility: 3,2=2+1=3)

It hurls between two monoliths on its needle-like legs, stumbles, and stops just inside the outer ring of monolithic stones.

"Grrrr!"

Qunnai Zelthenegen

You finish cutting yourself free, note the mantis trying to escape, and decide that you really don't like that.

(Control: 5)

An arrow of green light flies at great speeds towards the fleeing mantis-beast.

(Evasion: 5,4=4+1=5)

It screeches, an unearthly sound that makes your sundered hair shiver, and throws itself out of the path of the arrow, which proceeds to rotate in mid-air and prepare to try to hit again next [Turn], though probably at slower speeds, you're estimating.

"Disappointing. But still, Perhaps I can compensate..."

Run up to the Mantis and [Aaazzz] "Gottem Gottem Gottem!", Attempting to crush or drown the bug through sheer volume of water and Control.

The thought of the fleeing bug managing to get away doesn't fill you with gladness, really. You chase it down while it's halted.

(Power: 6-2=4)
(Control: 4+1+2=7)

The Essence detonates, its energy consumed and drawn to the forefront of your spell.

The potency of it bleeds off to only a moderate amount of what it was, but your control suddenly feels absolute.

Cold water materializes around you as a set of tendrils, each one acting independently.

(Evasion: 6,1=1+1=2)
(Evasion: 2,3=2+1=3)
(Evasion: 1,1!=1)

It manages to catch one tendril on its arm instead of its vulnerable, burnt, needle-perforated torso.

The other wraps around its torso.

Your best one? Wraps around its neck.

(Resilience: 1-2=-1)
(Resilience: 3)
(Resilience: 6-2-1-1=2)

(Final Resilience: 6-3=3)

With all your might, you squeeze.

When the water loses cohesion and drips into the sands, you admire your work.

Battered torso chitin with pieces missing in places.

A broken arm.

And if it hadn't managed to bite the tendril on its neck, you would have just killed it. As is, it's suffering breathing difficulties.

Spoiler: Outsider Constrictor 2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Outsider Blade-Mantis (click to show/hide)
Generic Arms Race.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 24