Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24

Author Topic: The Gate of Dreams - Wretched Nest (5 / 5) - 13 - Guest Update  (Read 24581 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams - Urban Glenn (5 / 5) - 5
« Reply #255 on: September 09, 2023, 07:51:44 pm »

"It worked!"

"That thing that Ignorance's Witch said was right.  If you want something enough, your soul alone can get it done."

"With nothing but my magic and the power of my crest, I'm now much stronger.  I should be able to fight those big things now, no problem."

"If you concentrate, and focus, and you have the magic, you can force the magic into doing what you want.  It's much easier if you have the words, but if you don't, you can boost yourself.  Be more you."

"I do wish I had the words, though.  I felt for a moment that if I did, It's be even better.  Like a whole universe of better.  Maybe I'll find the right words sometime."

"Anyway, it might be different for you, but it's probably time to get to work.  I think I might have borrowed something against my soul just now, so lets put it to use properly.  Luna went away south, and Golden Flare and Ignorance's Witch are up north of here.  Which do you want to go for first, Heavenly Clerk?"
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 12:31:20 am by Devastator »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 10, 2023, 03:44:41 am »

Luna's Vestige's brows furrow as she pokes at the repaired cloak.  It... reflects force, now?  That's not what she expected, at all.  What does erlsborne even mean?

Her attention turns away from the cloak when she hears skittering.  She shakes her head, throwing the cloak around her shoulders and continuing to walk.

"Curious as I am to meet the locals, I don't have time.  Harnenza Beqquel Nerel Unoct.  Go play, Monster."

Try to wear the cloak, and cast the spell above at the skittering, or generally backwards if the skittering's direction is unclear.  If the spell works, the cat's name is 'Monster'.  Don't bother staying to fight; try to leave, moving S-W-S-S.

Telepathically, Luna's Vestige talks to the rest of the group. 

<Another monster seems to have found me.  I'm trying to avoid it, I'm almost to the southwest anomaly.>

Spoiler: Luna's Vestige (click to show/hide)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams - Urban Glenn (5 / 5) - 3
« Reply #257 on: September 11, 2023, 08:22:02 pm »

That isn't going to work. If that had hit it would not have been a capture, that would have harmed it. I need to experiment.
"Ignorance, my spells aren't good at not-killing it, do you have an idea?"
if only I had some kind of binding. Or if I'm going to just want things then what I really want is a way to heal people. But we don't get to have things just because we want--- wait.
No, now's not the time. just keep experimenting for now
Keep casting and trying new words, but maintain my distance
"Yukrsol"
"Dennae"
"Toldyou"
but maybe...

EDIT:
Well I mean, I suppose we can just leave it be behind us I guess
"Um, okay."
Hurry South South South East, making sure to keep together with Ignorance. If this means some or all of my spells are simply tested to the side instead of aimed at the animated-doll-thing, then so be it.

Spoiler: Golden Flare (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: spellbook (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 05:10:11 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 12, 2023, 01:45:43 am »

"Lets go for Luna's Vestige.  She's alone, and the other two up north are together."

Head south four times, or until I run into Luna's Vestige.  Or some enemy.

As I go, try another spell, aimed at more sidewalk clutter.  Yrnbled Reatatannen

Spoiler: Skylord (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Word Scratchpad (click to show/hide)

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 12, 2023, 10:34:46 am »

"Blah Blah Soul Blah Blah Magic Blah Blah Work Blah-  Which do you want to go for first, Heavenly Clerk?"
"Eh? Oh! Sorry I zoned out for a second that crater thing you did was really cool! Uh... why are we moving again?"

"Lets go for Luna's Vestige.  She's alone, and the other two up north are together."

"Oh alrighty! I'll be right behind ya!" Clerk gives a clumsy salute

Follow Skylord!
Spoiler:  Heavenly Clerk (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Records (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 10:36:17 am by Fluffe9911 »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 12, 2023, 06:01:45 pm »

"Yeah it's pretty cool.  I'm sure you could do it too!  Let me know if you want me to show you it."

"I'll also show the cat.  I think the cat can write it into you if you'd like to try it that way."

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 12, 2023, 07:13:34 pm »

"You mean our robot admin? Sure that sounds neat! As long as it doesn't come out of my pay of course!" I giggle at my quip

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 13, 2023, 03:58:55 pm »

I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams
« Reply #263 on: September 13, 2023, 04:04:05 pm »

Ignorance's W̸͕̾̓i̷͔̅t̶̖̘͈̏͗̆c̸̟͖͗̀̐̑h̵̥͓͎͔̄̚

"Well, that didn't work. Screw it, let's blow this joint."

Cast Arquebus Floppa Itz on myself, having successfully(?) eliminated the fatal component of that spell, and proceed South South South East toward the marker point, ignoring the annoying creature.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 13, 2023, 05:10:19 pm »

action edited.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams - Urban Glenn (5 / 5) - 6
« Reply #265 on: September 15, 2023, 08:35:59 pm »

[Initiative:]

Quote from: Defenders
Heavenly Clerk (Fluffe9911): 82
Skylord (Devastator): 76
Golden Flare (Lenglon): 54+20=74
Luna's Vestige (syvarris): 52
Ignorance's Witch (Egan_BW): 39
Quote from: Nightmares
Child of the Househedge 1: 45
Quote from: Outsiders
Unknown: 78

"Blah Blah Soul Blah Blah Magic Blah Blah Work Blah-  Which do you want to go for first, Heavenly Clerk?"
"Eh? Oh! Sorry I zoned out for a second that crater thing you did was really cool! Uh... why are we moving again?"

"Oh alrighty! I'll be right behind ya!" Clerk gives a clumsy salute

You aren't really sure what you're doing here, in all honesty, but at least you can support your teammate!

All this magic stuff is really cool, too, but why bother? You've got a shield, isn't that good enough?

Hopefully. Things are looking spookier round here, but you always try to stay optimistic.

Quote from: Outsider Spider
The prey is alone. The prey is unarmed. Sectionize.

(Ambush: 5)
(Perception: 1)

Space cracks open. The web-layer bleeds into the trap-layer, and the great predator leaps out. Tar-black chitin adorns a carapace the size of a minivan, eight fat legs digging into the asphalt, a single eye on each leg all looking at the same point.

There is no head, only an array of frontal spinnerets.

(Projectile: 1+1=2)
(Evasion: 4)

It spits, a razor-sharp line of silk, sharpened by something other than a tangible edge. And the prey, taken unaware -

Hurls herself to the side, the bolt missing, slicing through a backyard fence gate with ease.

Half of the gate vanishes, and the spider chitters in aggravation.

"Warning - all guardians - Outsider presence confirmed."

Head south four times, or until I run into Luna's Vestige.  Or some enemy.

As I go, try another spell, aimed at more sidewalk clutter.  Yrnbled Reatatannen

Having determined a method to achieve at least some of the strength you desire, you start headed south again, followed by your always-cheerful partner.

May as well try some magic while you move.

(Power: 2)
(Control: 5)

Your magic sinks into the ground beneath the sidewalk, and a small, brown, sap-oozing tree breaks through it a moment later.

Well, this barely counts as a tree. It's only up to your ankle.

Neat, you suppose.

That isn't going to work. If that had hit it would not have been a capture, that would have harmed it. I need to experiment.
"Ignorance, my spells aren't good at not-killing it, do you have an idea?"
if only I had some kind of binding. Or if I'm going to just want things then what I really want is a way to heal people. But we don't get to have things just because we want--- wait.
No, now's not the time. just keep experimenting for now
Keep casting and trying new words, but maintain my distance
"Yukrsol"
"Dennae"
"Toldyou"
but maybe...

EDIT:
Well I mean, I suppose we can just leave it be behind us I guess
"Um, okay."
Hurry South South South East, making sure to keep together with Ignorance. If this means some or all of my spells are simply tested to the side instead of aimed at the animated-doll-thing, then so be it.

Ignorance does have a point. You can just... leave, can't you? It doesn't necessarily feel very heroic to just split and run, but this isn't some anime, this is reality.

Or at least, something like it?

You drag Ignorance along with you as you start moving. There's certainly enough time to blast the doll-thing with at least one of the words, so you do that.

(Power: 1)
(Control: 2)

The word twists in your mouth. You trip over a crack in the sidewalk, and the magic breaks apart.

Sometimes, you don't feel very magical at all.

(Power: 4)
(Control: 2-1=1)

You speak another word, and mis-time the interweaving of control into the substantial energy you call upon.

(Evasion: 1)

You're moving too quickly.

(Resilience: 2-1=1)

Several red flechette-like darts materialize, slam into your right leg, and dematerialize after taking their bloody due.

Needless to say, you don't stay standing after that.

[Severe Right Leg Laceration: -1 to all Mobility rolls. -20 to Initiative.]

[Travel interrupted.]

You could still technically say another Word, you know, but that might not be the best idea right now. At all.

Luna's Vestige's brows furrow as she pokes at the repaired cloak.  It... reflects force, now?  That's not what she expected, at all.  What does erlsborne even mean?

Her attention turns away from the cloak when she hears skittering.  She shakes her head, throwing the cloak around her shoulders and continuing to walk.

"Curious as I am to meet the locals, I don't have time.  Harnenza Beqquel Nerel Unoct.  Go play, Monster."

Try to wear the cloak, and cast the spell above at the skittering, or generally backwards if the skittering's direction is unclear.  If the spell works, the cat's name is 'Monster'.  Don't bother staying to fight; try to leave, moving S-W-S-S.

Telepathically, Luna's Vestige talks to the rest of the group. 

<Another monster seems to have found me.  I'm trying to avoid it, I'm almost to the southwest anomaly.>

What an ugly thing that beast is. You don't have time for this.

(Power: 3)
(Control: 5+1=6)

A bolt of purple hurls itself from your hand, rises into the air, and descends upon the gigantic spider that interrupted your walk.

(Evasion: 2-1=1)

One thing you notice is that the spider is simply... uncoordinated. Its earlier attack on you was pinpoint, and would have hit you if you hadn't been quick to react. But it seems as though its legs and body are in disagreement in how to move, and the bolt hits.

(Ferocity: 1)
(Resilience: 6)

The bolt becomes a barely-visible shadow, and bounces off the spider's carapace without leaving so much as a scratch.

You don't see a cat at all, but the shadow-thing - you can barely track it, but it's moving as though running.

Running away, as it turns out.

You shrug and pull on the cloak.

(Perception: 3)

Immediately, the spider struggles to keep track of you. You can barely keep track of yourself, even. You look down, and see only a shadow, blending with any nearby sources of darkness.

You leave the spider behind.

[Outsider Spider's Outsider Trait revealed: 'Uncoordinated'.]
Uncoordinated: The Outsider Spider receives -1 to all Mobility rolls, except during the first relevant action of its [Turn]. It also receives -25 to Initiative, when not acting from an ambush. Is nullified by ?, when in effect.

Quote from: Child of the Househedge
But I wasn't done playing yet!

(Chase: 3)

Sadly (or perhaps not, from another point of view), the doll cannot keep up with its fleeing playmates. It retreats inside one of the many, many houses of the hedge...

"Well, that didn't work. Screw it, let's blow this joint."

Cast Arquebus Floppa Itz on myself, having successfully(?) eliminated the fatal component of that spell, and proceed South South South East toward the marker point, ignoring the annoying creature.

((Itz not found. Assuming you mean, Izx.))

Seems like Golden Flare makes good time. You're even benefiting from being pulled along like this -

(Evasion: 4)

You throw yourself away as Golden Flare proceeds to direct a bunch of angry darts into her leg. Jeez, that could have gone badly for you.

May as well try out your own spell, if you're stopping.

(Power: 5)
(Control: 4+1=5)

Your perfectly shaped and powered spell settles onto you and does absolutely nothing.

Well, okay then.

Under cover of shadow, Luna's Vestige walks narrower and narrower streets, and eventually comes to view another section of houses.

But these houses are different. They bend in ways that simply make no sense, defying gravity and architecture alike. All pulled towards the center.

The center, where a stable portal to somewhere, lies.

The center of a web that cannot be seen or touched, but nonetheless exists.

"Routing indirect scan through Crest relay. The scan is complete. The probability is high that a Nest has been constructed and hidden at the center of that region of altered space."

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Key (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Outsider Spider (click to show/hide)
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams
« Reply #266 on: September 15, 2023, 09:15:06 pm »

"F-flare! Are you- well, no, you're not okay. We should bandage that!"

Cannibalize Uniform for bandages and perform mundane medical treatment. Create an Essence of Floppa.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams - Urban Glenn (5 / 5) - 3
« Reply #267 on: September 15, 2023, 09:23:04 pm »

"OW!"
   I pull my leg up towards my chest without bothering to get up and look at the bloody mess of my leg and the red staining my hands and flowing to the ground.
"No, No I am not all right. That really hurt!"
this is why I need to learn how to heal people! At least this time we aren't being attacked right now
Well so what?!? Your teammates have already shown you the key. If it's really what you want, what you need to learn, then just do it. So calm down, picture it carefully, and make it happen!
   I blink my damp eyes, steady my breathing, and carefully, clinically, look at my injured leg.
   I know from my spell-practice that detailed imaging matters, so before I attempt to do anything I take the time to figure out what it is that I'm trying to accomplish.
The important thing is that I figure out how to heal people, and to then apply that skill upon myself and my injured leg to test it.
So what is healing, really? In the waking world it is about the body's ability to rebuild itself from damage, but this isn't actually the waking world, is it? This is a world of Dreams.
So what even is damage in the world of Dreams? It's... It's something that the dreamer believes holds them back. It's something that cuts or shatters or weakens their image of themselves.
So what is healing? It's... It's restoration of the dreamer's self-image. It's empowerment and inspiration. It's giving the dreamer the belief that they aren't being held back.
So what I'm really looking for then... It's the ability to convince myself and others that the mishap which occurred to them, the injury they've suffered, whatever it is, isn't something which actually impairs them.
But... how do I do that?
By believing in them, that's how. Right?
I mean, people are able to push through tough problems that they don't think they can defeat when they're encouraged and told by others that in reality they can.
So then...
what would convince me that my leg is fine?
Well, I'd want my muscles and fat to reconnect, close up, and reform, hiding and protecting my bone. My nerves to reform. My skin to close. and my blood to rebuild within me. That'd convince me I was fine, right?
So if that's what I need to do, that's what I need to make happen to myself, then just... do it.
I gather myself, carefully image what I need to learn how to do, and then attempt to make my leg heal

Spoiler: Golden Flare (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: spellbook (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 15, 2023, 10:09:16 pm »

"Everyone, Flare is hurt. We might not be able to move very fast."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 16, 2023, 12:08:36 am »

"An outsider?"

Activate Form Augmentation.

Move south four times again, through the house, to join up with Luna's Vestige.  Keep my eyes open for any outsider, and my vine-whip ready for battle.  If one shows up, give it a good strike.

Spoiler: Skylord (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Word Scratchpad[/b (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24