Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24

Author Topic: The Gate of Dreams - Wretched Nest (5 / 5) - 13 - Guest Update  (Read 24099 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams - Stepping Onto Sand (5 / 5)
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2023, 02:32:35 am »

"I'm not sure what to do first.  There's a lot of words, but..  well, let me try something first."

Make an Essence with Tarnweywey

Activate Heroic Form, and see what it does.  Punch the ground to test my strength?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 06:12:01 am by Devastator »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams - Welcome To The World Of Your Dreams (5 / 5)
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2023, 02:34:56 am »

"So we're on a time limit, and we need to experiment with the words of spells on our own to figure them out."
My ears flick around a bit as we move, and I carefully move to the side of the group as we advance through the sand. Once I'm on the edge of the group, I reach down with my left hand to take hold of the book chained to my side, and aim to the side with my right, off into the sand and away from our direction of travel, and test my first Spell as we move.
"Myne"

Spoiler: Golden Flare (click to show/hide)
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2023, 04:27:11 am »

Luna's Vestige looks around at the sandy plane, grumbling slightly.  She adjusts the scarf in front of her face a little, and pulls her hair in front of her eyes.  She looks profoundly uncomfortable and out of place.

"Why a desert?  This hardly seems worth protecting..."

She shakes her head, and gives Flare a serious look.  "Yes.  You go on ahead.  I'll lag behind and experiment.  It may be unlikely for us to wound ourselves, but if this magic is meant for combat it might be easy to harm each other.  The outsiders may not attack intuitively, either."

That said, Luna's Vestige walks a few steps away from the distant monoliths--and the others--then kneels down and picks up a handful of sand in her left hand.  She stands and starts to slowly pour the sand out, focusing on the falling grains while speaking words of power: "Hasten Vzzrl."

Then she pauses.  She asks a question aloud:  "Cat-thing.  Can we affect the dream world in any way aside from using words of power?"

Without missing a beat, she then states two more words of power, waiting for a few seconds between them:  "Elsewell.  Merlin."

((Intentionally testing these things: Using multiple spells in one turn.  Using two one-word spells, separated only by a pause.  Focusing on a specific thing while casting a spell.  Checking for a wordcap below four, given 3 heart.  Whether we have contact with green cat thing.  The GM's patience.))

Spoiler: Luna's Vestige (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams - Welcome To The World Of Your Dreams (5 / 5)
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2023, 12:37:41 pm »

Ignorance tilts her head down to inspect her body, as if noticing it for the first time.
"This shapeform is not built for impact. Requesting fire support until artillery capability comes online."

She then faces the desert and gestures vaguely toward it, speaking "Aaazzz Gottem!"

Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2023, 03:07:40 pm »

As she walks with her coworkers Heavenly Clerk isn't really paying attention to her surroundings and is mostly thinking about things in her own head it is only when they start spouting magic words does she snap out of it and look around at her companions confused "Oh are we all making up words? I mean... I can do that too! Like.. Squiqilybop! Orr err Tavaviteve!"

Spoiler:  Heavenly Clerk (click to show/hide)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams - Stepping Onto Sand (5 / 5) - 1
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2023, 07:01:13 pm »

"I'm not sure what to do first.  There's a lot of words, but..  well, let me try something first."

Make an Essence with Tarnweywey

Activate Heroic Form, and see what it does.  Punch the ground to test my strength?

(Power: 3)
(Control: 1)

In time-honored tradition, you begin testing your abilities. There is a distinct connection with something as you speak the Word - but with how unused you are to your mantle, as the power comes forth, you don't manage to catch it, and it spills out.

A little green sprout emerges from the sands beneath you.

Undeterred, you focus on your Heroic Form. It's something you know about instinctively, just like you know your Crest connects to Vea'vatam. It doesn't seem like you need to activate it, though. it's just there.

You bend down and strike the ground with your hand.

(Might: 1+1)

Your hand stings a little from the sand, which squelches under your strike. It does feel different, though. Your strike more sure, more fluid, than it was before. Stinging less than you'd expect.

"So we're on a time limit, and we need to experiment with the words of spells on our own to figure them out."
My ears flick around a bit as we move, and I carefully move to the side of the group as we advance through the sand. Once I'm on the edge of the group, I reach down with my left hand to take hold of the book chained to my side, and aim to the side with my right, off into the sand and away from our direction of travel, and test my first Spell as we move.
"Myne"

(Power: 6)
(Control: 4)

The Word echoes, and a shard of dim red light flashes out a meter, maybe two, in the direction you indicated, then breaks apart into nothingness.

Hm. Well, that was something. Seemingly incomplete, though. No range, no substance.

Luna's Vestige looks around at the sandy plane, grumbling slightly.  She adjusts the scarf in front of her face a little, and pulls her hair in front of her eyes.  She looks profoundly uncomfortable and out of place.

"Why a desert?  This hardly seems worth protecting..."

She shakes her head, and gives Flare a serious look.  "Yes.  You go on ahead.  I'll lag behind and experiment.  It may be unlikely for us to wound ourselves, but if this magic is meant for combat it might be easy to harm each other.  The outsiders may not attack intuitively, either."

That said, Luna's Vestige walks a few steps away from the distant monoliths--and the others--then kneels down and picks up a handful of sand in her left hand.  She stands and starts to slowly pour the sand out, focusing on the falling grains while speaking words of power: "Hasten Vzzrl."

Then she pauses.  She asks a question aloud:  "Cat-thing.  Can we affect the dream world in any way aside from using words of power?"

Without missing a beat, she then states two more words of power, waiting for a few seconds between them:  "Elsewell.  Merlin."

((Intentionally testing these things: Using multiple spells in one turn.  Using two one-word spells, separated only by a pause.  Focusing on a specific thing while casting a spell.  Checking for a wordcap below four, given 3 heart.  Whether we have contact with green cat thing.  The GM's patience.))

You choose to lag behind in the travel, seeing the others utilize similar measures to prevent potential accidents.

(Control: 2+1=3)

The Words echo, and a long wound coil of brittle, barely-flexible blackened cordage materializes within the falling grains of sand you pour.

Hm.

Asking your question, it takes a few moments before a response is returned to you, as a whispered purring voice in your mind.

"Usage of your quasiphysical forms will also affect the quasiphysical dream-matter."

(Control: 1+1-1=1)

One Word echoes, and a puff of warm ash billows just in front of your face. You choose to speak one more -

(Control: 1+1-1-1=0)

And distracted by the ash, you lose focus, and your spell breaks apart and you're immersed in a cloud of dense smoke.

(Mobility: 3)

You stumble out of it before you breathe too much in. Still, you're stuck heavily coughing for a good minute or two. At least you seem more resistant to smoke inhalation than someone... unaltered, might be.

(No lasting conditions applied.)

Ignorance tilts her head down to inspect her body, as if noticing it for the first time.
"This shapeform is not built for impact. Requesting fire support until artillery capability comes online."

She then faces the desert and gestures vaguely toward it, speaking "Aaazzz Gottem!"

You join the others in constructing changes in reality while you travel.

(Control: 1+1=2)

For your trouble, you get a drizzle of tiny water droplets for a moment or two, barely staining the purple-desert sands.

As she walks with her coworkers Heavenly Clerk isn't really paying attention to her surroundings and is mostly thinking about things in her own head it is only when they start spouting magic words does she snap out of it and look around at her companions confused "Oh are we all making up words? I mean... I can do that too! Like.. Squiqilybop! Orr err Tavaviteve!"

It's only on your second word that something odd joins the parade of oddities you've seen. Perhaps some Words are different than other words.

(Power: 3-1=2)
(Control: 5)

An aura of barely visible brown light shrouds you for perhaps five seconds, then flickers into oblivion.

You all arrive at the teeth-like monoliths, though one of you is taking some time to catch up after getting caught in a conjured smoke cloud.

There are eleven of them in a circle, angled such that their flat side faces a small expanse of flat blue stone in the direct center of the circle they create. Four more of them, smaller in size, are angled such that their sharp side is angled towards the center, and are spaced evenly.

And at the center of the circle, there is a void-black ripple, pulsing slowly and growing in size.

It looks like nothing. It sounds like nothing. It smells like nothing. You sure aren't going to touch it, though.

Because it feels like animalistic hatred.

[2 Turns till Incursion start.]
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2023, 07:31:44 pm »

Ignorance's W̸͕̾̓i̷͔̅t̶̖̘͈̏͗̆c̸̟͖͗̀̐̑h̵̥͓͎͔̄̚

"Will hostiles engage or attempt to break though?"

Speak "Zazzalalazzaz Aaazzz." attempting to direct it in a horizontal shower.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 09:17:21 am by Egan_BW »
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2023, 07:51:10 pm »

"That wasn't much of a punch.  I mean, better than it would have been if I wasn't a hero, but I was kinda hoping for a crater of doom or something."

For that spell.. well, lets try it again, but this time with a bit more effort.  Eatsalthlat Rihitnorfongotfyu!  Skylord points her hand out, palm flat, directing her magic to a spot of earth between two of the obelisks.

Spoiler: Skylord (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Word scratch notes (click to show/hide)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2023, 08:24:57 pm »

"What's up with the pillars?"
I maintain my spacing from everyone, we're all testing random magic and anything could happen. don't want to get caught up in each other's spell effects. I then aim into the sand, avoiding interfeering with the pillars and the others.
"Myne Geze"
I pause and wait to see what this spell variant does before trying another
"Taqquin Magi"
and again. I need to figure out at least one basic useful spell before the incursion occurs.
"Ventel Annul"
spells testing

Spoiler: Golden Flare (click to show/hide)
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2023, 09:08:02 pm »

"Woah... I glowed for a second... that's... neat I guess? Honestly, I don't really get this whole word thing seems quite silly to me."

Forget the words I know you're supposed to talk to clients to make them feel better but saying gibberish to them and expecting that to help is just absurd! I should start practicing other ways to deal with our clients negative feelings like... physical therapy!

Spoiler:  Heavenly Clerk (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 09:10:29 pm by Fluffe9911 »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2023, 02:03:04 am »

Luna's Vestige coughs heavily as she stumbles out of her accidental smoke cloud.  The cough quickly turns into a laugh as she straightens up and looks back towards the smoke.  Her scowl is gone for the first time since she gained her crest.  She starts talking excitedly:

"Exciting!  I expected more limitations!" she says, her voice filled with a childish delight.  "And even this mistake is useful...  Ah, cat-thing!  What is your name?  If you don't have a name, I'm going to call you Watermelon.  You could've given us more advice, by the way.  Now let's see... big spell, Hasten Elsewell Ulvulme!"

She grins, regardless of the result, though her smile isn't visible under the scarves.  Then she crouches down to pick up some more sand with her left hand.  This time, she holds her hand out to the side, while walking towards the monoliths ans looking straight ahead.  Even so, she focuses on the falling grains of sand as she casts her next spell:  "Merlin Beqquel Staddom."

((If I understand the mechanic correctly, stacking control penalties for sequential spells is interesting!  It's a big buff to control in general, which makes me feel lucky.  I'm guessing Heart is a per-spell word limit--as the OP actually suggests, looking back--which makes for an interesting mechanic.  I'd test it more specifically, but Lenglon and Dev are already doing so, really.  Better to not waste my own spells if that causes fizzling.

Fluffe, I suggest you remember Tavaviteve.  I could say more if you want, but for now I just think it's a particularly useful word.))

Spoiler: Luna's Vestige (click to show/hide)

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2023, 09:11:46 am »

((Ist there room to enter the waitlist?))
Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2023, 04:09:06 pm »

((I didn't think there was one, this game seems interesting, can I join the waitlist too?))

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2023, 06:46:36 pm »

((I didn't think there was one, this game seems interesting, can I join the waitlist too?))
((Ist there room to enter the waitlist?))

((If you want to join the waitlist, make some reasonably detailed character sheets and I'll add you in.))

((Working on the update now.))
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams - Stepping Onto Sand (5 / 5) - 2
« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2023, 07:59:30 pm »

Ignorance's W̸͕̾̓i̷͔̅t̶̖̘͈̏͗̆c̸̟͖͗̀̐̑h̵̥͓͎͔̄̚

"Will hostiles engage or attempt to break though?"

Speak "Zazzalalazzaz Aaazzz." attempting to direct it in a horizontal shower.

After a few moments, your mysterious advocate responds. "Predicting the behavior of Outsiders is difficult. Both outcomes are possible."

After storing that response in the depths of cognition, you once more call upon your supernatural talents.

(Control: 1+1=2)

A small puff of purple mist emerges in front of you, and for the few seconds it exists, staring into it gives you profound eyestrain.

"That wasn't much of a punch.  I mean, better than it would have been if I wasn't a hero, but I was kinda hoping for a crater of doom or something."

For that spell.. well, lets try it again, but this time with a bit more effort.  Eatsalthlat Rihitnorfongotfyu!  Skylord points her hand out, palm flat, directing her magic to a spot of earth between two of the obelisks.

You join everyone else's efforts in attempting to find meaningful combat magic before you're forced to resort to fists against eldritch invaders from a dark dimension.

(Power: 2)
(Control: 1)

A bleeding, minuscule scrap of fur materializes in the air and slowly drifts to the ground.

No such luck this time then.

"What's up with the pillars?"
I maintain my spacing from everyone, we're all testing random magic and anything could happen. don't want to get caught up in each other's spell effects. I then aim into the sand, avoiding interfeering with the pillars and the others.
"Myne Geze"
I pause and wait to see what this spell variant does before trying another
"Taqquin Magi"
and again. I need to figure out at least one basic useful spell before the incursion occurs.
"Ventel Annul"
spells testing

"The monolithic structures possess no detected anomalous properties."

After taking adequate safety precautions, in terms of distance... not that anyone's done anything all that threatening yet - you resume your search for combat magic.

(Power: 2)
(Control: 5)

A single coin materializes, one with razor-sharp edges. It's made from a familiar red light, and flickers out of existence after a few seconds, hovering in your hand until then.

You speak your second spell, but halfway through - the second Word of it runs dry. You've hit some sort of limit, it seems.

(Power: 5)
(Control: 3-1=2)

You conjure a blast of impermanent red-black flames, burning furiously, lingering on the sand before fading away, leaving scorch marks. Not so powerful or close enough to you to cause issues, thankfully, though it's a very near thing. If you drew any more power, it might have required a quick dodge - or if your control was just a little worse.

That might be useful.

You speak your third spell, and nothing happens. Well... there is something. The well of power you're using to manipulate the Dream. Your Crest. It seems you only have so much capacity to use, but... the well is still there, even if it's empty.

You could, theoretically, force the issue. Push past your limit.

"Woah... I glowed for a second... that's... neat I guess? Honestly, I don't really get this whole word thing seems quite silly to me."

Forget the words I know you're supposed to talk to clients to make them feel better but saying gibberish to them and expecting that to help is just absurd! I should start practicing other ways to deal with our clients negative feelings like... physical therapy!

Yeah, that's a good point. You've got a wide toolkit that has nothing to do with these fancy words!

It's not like your clients will want to kill you or anything like that. That would be silly.

As a magical-girl therapist you're here to help, not to harm!

Luna's Vestige coughs heavily as she stumbles out of her accidental smoke cloud.  The cough quickly turns into a laugh as she straightens up and looks back towards the smoke.  Her scowl is gone for the first time since she gained her crest.  She starts talking excitedly:

"Exciting!  I expected more limitations!" she says, her voice filled with a childish delight.  "And even this mistake is useful...  Ah, cat-thing!  What is your name?  If you don't have a name, I'm going to call you Watermelon.  You could've given us more advice, by the way.  Now let's see... big spell, Hasten Elsewell Ulvulme!"

She grins, regardless of the result, though her smile isn't visible under the scarves.  Then she crouches down to pick up some more sand with her left hand.  This time, she holds her hand out to the side, while walking towards the monoliths ans looking straight ahead.  Even so, she focuses on the falling grains of sand as she casts her next spell:  "Merlin Beqquel Staddom."

"Self-designation Watermelon accepted. This entity's capacity for independent action is limited."

The mind-voice sounds different, for a second. Strained?

(Power: 5)
(Control: 2+1=3)

While your handling of the power isn't ideal, the quantity is substantial, and you conjure into existence a mound of hot ash filled with black bone fragments. It slowly seems to slide away from you after it covers the ground.

Then you discover an unfortunate limit. After speaking the first word of your second spell, the well you draw upon seems to run dry.

(Control: 6+1-1=6)

You summon a much smaller cloud of black smoke than your first attempt. Except this time, none of it so much as touches you. It's clear in your mind where you begin and the smoke ends, and if you don't want it to touch you, it doesn't.

That limit... is unfortunate. The well will soon fill up again, but for now it's dry. Yet you sense that you could push the matter, if you had to. Take from the well instead of its contents.

But what would that cost?

The ripple in the center of the odd formation swells. In the time that you've seen it, it's gone from the size of a tennis ball to the size of a beach ball. It's still growing, and as it grows in size, so too does the aura of projected hatred it possesses.

[1 Turn till Incursion start.]

((The fight will begin the Turn after the next, so don't worry about just flat out getting jumped at the end of the next turn.))
Generic Arms Race.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24