Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24

Author Topic: The Gate of Dreams - Wretched Nest (5 / 5) - 13 - Guest Update  (Read 21068 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams - Stepping Onto Sand (5 / 5) - 2
« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2023, 04:51:03 am »

"Hmm."

Skylord is disappointed, but it was like the spell didn't work, not that it can't do anything.  Maybe she just doesn't have much power.

"Once more, with feeling."

Eatsalthlat Rihitnorfongotfyu!

Spoiler: Skylord (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Word scratch notes (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams - Stepping Onto Sand (5 / 5) - 2
« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2023, 08:24:01 am »

"If the hostiles possess eyes, I shall be able to inflict upon them headaches."
« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 08:51:37 am by Egan_BW »
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams - Stepping Onto Sand (5 / 5)
« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2023, 01:34:01 pm »

She sweeps her gaze across her allies after that, eventually giving Heavenly Clerk a pitying look.  She walks over to the girl, patting her on the shoulder and speaking warmly.  "Don't fear your magic.  And stay close; we're in this together, okay?  Just focus on learning your magic, try and find a couple words that do something useful together.  We'll keep you safe when the outsiders come."

"It isn't that I fear the words they are just so... absurd! Heavenly Clerk sighs "I do appreciate the support though I promise ill try my best."

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams - Stepping Onto Sand (5 / 5) - 3
« Reply #108 on: April 01, 2023, 07:06:53 am »

"Got it."
Though my face is calm, my tail is anything but still. I've found something I can work with, found a pattern to this, and found my limit.

I aim noticeably further away for this spell test.
"Taqquin Taqquin"
"Annul"
spells testing
if and ONLY if I am not drained by the final spell, I attempt to make and store an essence of Taqquin.
after I finish this test, I move closer to the concentrated hate, attempting to put it on the edge of my estimated spell range, in preparation for my intended first act of the incursion.

You draw upon your Domain, and attempt to speak forth violence.

(Power: 1)
(Control: 2)

The minuscule puff of flame that appears for a split second disappoints tremendously.

(Control: 4-1=3)

The second spell, though, doesn't seem to do anything at all. Or rather, it feels incomplete, in an odd way.

Making an Essence feels far beyond your abilities - even if you hadn't emptied your well yet again, you recall that the formation of an Essence precludes the casting of spells, for a duration.

Ignorance's W̸͕̾̓i̷͔̅t̶̖̘͈̏͗̆c̸̟͖͗̀̐̑h̵̥͓͎͔̄̚

Ignorance observes the purple cloud, enlightened.

"Zazzalalazzaz Gottem Arquebus! Floppa!"

Clearly, more complex effects are entirely possible. You see about making some.

(Power: 2)
(Control: 6+1=7)

A soft spray of wet purple mist is created. For a moment, the jet of mist distorts the monolith it strikes, causing it to stretch unnaturally so the mist can fly past it without diverting from a straight course. The next moment, the monolith is back in place, unaltered, and the mist is dissipating.

You attempt to speak your fourth Word, but your breath catches in your chest. Your power-source is dry.

You can feel it slowly refilling, thankfully. But to push beyond that mark? You'd need to make and use an Essence... or try to force the issue.

Try to go beyond your comfortable limit.

"That's the briefing I heard. You should hurry up and figure out how to defend yourself."
"Well that isn't what I heard!"

Heavenly Clerk scratches the back of her head "Ehh regardless as silly as it is I guess some more practice with those weird word things can't hurt... just in case!" She takes a deep breath and points at some sand nearby "PERIWINKLE! Wait no... errr SCHINOBRO! Hmm no that aint it uhhh Aguilegog?"

Increasingly concerned about potential conflict, you begin practicing more atypical conflict resolution methods.

(Power: 5-1=4)
(Control: 5)

A construct of brown light assembles itself from nothing in front of you, hovering steady in the shape of a large vertical bookcase. It doesn't look like it's going to fade in moments like your last spell, but the light is already deteriorating. Wouldn't last more than a minute or two.

Shame. It's a very well-crafted bookcase. And barricade, if you used it right.

Luna walks past the others, towards the growing black mass, her left hand gripping something.  Without a word, she hucks a piece of blackened bone into the ripple of hatred.  She watches for a second, observing the result of her brash little experiment.

"Well.  I hope all of you are ready.  Has anyone figured out how to make a weapon of some kind?  The best things I can do so far are smoke and ash."

She sweeps her gaze across her allies after that, eventually giving Heavenly Clerk a pitying look.  She walks over to the girl, patting her on the shoulder and speaking warmly.  "Don't fear your magic.  And stay close; we're in this together, okay?  Just focus on learning your magic, try and find a couple words that do something useful together.  We'll keep you safe when the outsiders come."

She then turns back towards the ripple of black hatred, and chants a couple more spells:  "Zorthul Harnenza.  Nevbek Cruulvous!"

You hurl a scrap of bone into the source of Incursion. It doesn't come back out, or make so much as a single sound. It simply vanishes without a trace as the darkness throbs and pulses.

That noted, you start working on your spells.

(Power: 4)
(Control: 2+1=3)

A group of three bats materialize from dark, glimmering purple energy, then driven by something greater than their wings, swing out, curve widely around one monolith, and slam into the sands, releasing little puffs of rippling purple sand before they break apart.

(Power: 6)
(Control: 2+1-1=2)

Nothing happens.

No, wait. A large, roughly rectangular, area of sand in front of you ends up depressed heavily for a few moments, for no visible reason.

"Hmm."

Skylord is disappointed, but it was like the spell didn't work, not that it can't do anything.  Maybe she just doesn't have much power.

"Once more, with feeling."

Eatsalthlat Rihitnorfongotfyu!

(Power: 2)
(Control: 1)

You get much the same result. If not for the fact that you're clearly just not drawing enough energy and holding it closely enough, you'd be concerned that maybe this magic really is useless.

Might just have to use punches to deal with what's about to happen.

The ripple at the center pops like an unholy zit in the space of this reality, spewing a shower of blackened tar that seems, by chance, to fall into the shape of a hulking, one-eyed six-legged boar. The hatred you all feel skyrockets. You sense, instinctively, or perhaps by virtue of your Crest, that this thing would like nothing more than to end you all and break this Realm to pieces.

The dripping, venting wound in reality clearly isn't done, but it'll take some time to disgorge its next passenger.

[2 Turns till second Incursion wave.]

Spoiler: Outsider Boar (click to show/hide)
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 01, 2023, 08:02:37 am »

"Well, lets see how this goes.  Better than magic, hopefully."

Instead of punching, try for some leverage.  Jump aboard the boar, and try to aim it into an obelisk by grabbing its tusks.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 01, 2023, 11:20:45 am »

((HA MAGICAL GIRL MORE LIKE PRAISE THE SUN ANIME STYLE. 😂 Kidding ofc, but I know magical girl can have guys as well. Anyways there be my app for dah waitlist, and who knows.))
« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 11:28:02 am by Horizon »
Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams
« Reply #111 on: April 01, 2023, 01:13:02 pm »

Ignorance sweeps the sand off her robe.
"Hostile detected. Initiating offensive science. Zazzalalazzaz Champagne Arquebus."

Activate Steady Soul. Direct the Zazzalalazzaz to assault the Boar's eyes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 01, 2023, 01:34:04 pm »

Luna steps away from the boar, clearly nervous.  "...Right."  She nods at Skylord.  "Er.  Good luck, Jacket."

If the boar charges Luna, she will try to cast "Merlin Merlin" and flee to the side.  Otherwise, (or if the conditional isn't okay/wouldn't work here) cast the two following spells.  Deliberately direct them towards the boar ONLY if no allies are on/adjacent to it.

"Nevbek Nuuleq!  Staddom Selve!  Come on, give me something..."

Spoiler: Luna's Vestige (click to show/hide)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 01, 2023, 03:50:24 pm »

"Whoah! That makes this difficult."
If I can get a clear shot at the boar:
I aim at the boar and attempt to hit it with the following spell: "Taqquin Myne Annul"
If I can't get a clear shot at the boar:
make an essence of Taqquin
either way afterwards:
I run behind a pillar and use it as cover in case the boar charges in my direction.

Spoiler: Golden Flare (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: spell notes (click to show/hide)
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 01, 2023, 04:47:47 pm »

Heavenly sees the boar and begins scrambling backwards "Oh dear she was right!"

Oh jeez! Oh jeez! I'm not ready for this at all! Why is it so mad anyway we didn't do anything to it yet! Oh jeez! I gotta get to safety and practice more of those word things! Like Requiem that sounds like a neat word!

Spoiler:  Heavenly Clerk (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 01, 2023, 05:03:35 pm »

"Please remain calm. It will improve your accuracy."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 01, 2023, 05:42:51 pm »

"Er.  Good luck, Jacket."

"Hey, I'll be okay, these wings should keep me balanced."

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 01, 2023, 07:12:27 pm »

"Please remain calm. It will improve your accuracy."
"Oh jeeeezzzzzzzzzzz!"

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams - First Incursion (5 / 5) - 4
« Reply #118 on: April 01, 2023, 08:22:45 pm »

[Initiative:]

Quote from: Defenders
Golden Flare (Lenglon): 89+20+20=129
Skylord (Devastator): 100
Ignorance's Witch (Egan_BW): 97
Luna's Vestige (syvarris): 61
Heavenly Clerk (Fluffe9911): 18
Quote from: Outsiders
Outsider Boar: 27

"Whoah! That makes this difficult."
If I can get a clear shot at the boar:
I aim at the boar and attempt to hit it with the following spell: "Taqquin Myne Annul"
If I can't get a clear shot at the boar:
make an essence of Taqquin
either way afterwards:
I run behind a pillar and use it as cover in case the boar charges in my direction.

Something burns within you, and the world seems to slow down - or maybe you're just moving faster than everyone else. This advantage you have ensures you're fully ready to unleash the force of your dream-manipulation, nobody else getting in between you and the angry boar that is your target.

It doesn't even seem to see you coming.

(Power: 3)
(Control: 2)

For a moment, nothing happens, then the small shard of flame slips from the grip of your magic and spills out. It's sloppy. It's small.

The boar isn't prepared to deal with it in the slightest.

(Evasion: 1-1-1=-1)
(Resilience: 2-1=1)

Notably, it only has one eye. Well, more accurately, it had one eye. Now it has a burnt, dripping wound.

"Well, lets see how this goes.  Better than magic, hopefully."

Instead of punching, try for some leverage.  Jump aboard the boar, and try to aim it into an obelisk by grabbing its tusks.

Golden Flare drives a shard of fire into the boar's eye with pinpoint accuracy! Now's your chance!

(Mobility: 3+1=4)
(Evasion: 5,2=2-1-1=0)

With supernatural grace you leap up and drive your boots into the boar's back. It squeals and buckles.

(Leverage: 3+1=4)

Getting at the thing's tusks looks difficult, to say the least. Even with your gloves, those things are sharp. That's not to say you can't do anything, though. With the right kick to this thing's skull you should be able to get it to go wildly off course.

Ignorance sweeps the sand off her robe.
"Hostile detected. Initiating offensive science. Zazzalalazzaz Champagne Arquebus."

Activate Steady Soul. Direct the Zazzalalazzaz to assault the Boar's eyes.

One of your allies is riding on the boar's back. Hm. That would be an issue for collateral damage, but you know you can achieve perfect control here.

(Power: 6)
(Control: 5+1=6)

With that out of the way, you're much more easily able to draw a substantial volume of power, and draw it through the Words you choose. A single, gargantuan, bat made of that eye-straining purple mist appears, screeches in a dull tone, and swoops directly at the Boar's... well, what's left of its eye. It looks dense.

(Evasion: N/A)

There are no obstacles. Not even the ones that should have been obstacles. Monoliths distort, a tusk bends, and it all fits right back into place by the time the bat slams into the boar's already-burnt face.

(Resilience: 3-1=2)

There's a ripple that hurts your eyes to look at as the bat detonates, the mist soaking into what's left of the boar's face. Now, it seems, the boar's face has been bent out of shape, smushed like a deformed, melting pancake, twisted outside of its previous unnatural form and turned into something entirely nonfunctional.

Its jaw cracks and bends sideways.

Luna steps away from the boar, clearly nervous.  "...Right."  She nods at Skylord.  "Er.  Good luck, Jacket."

If the boar charges Luna, she will try to cast "Merlin Merlin" and flee to the side.  Otherwise, (or if the conditional isn't okay/wouldn't work here) cast the two following spells.  Deliberately direct them towards the boar ONLY if no allies are on/adjacent to it.

"Nevbek Nuuleq!  Staddom Selve!  Come on, give me something..."

Well, that's quite the display from your teammates. One of them's blinded the boar, another is grappling it, and you're not sure what just happened to its face. Best not to launch a combat spell of your own, due to the grappling.

Still, if you can find a good enough combat spell, that'd help you follow up. Further testing it is, then.

(Power: 4)
(Control: 6+1=7)

An intricate, flowing burial shroud made of a dull, dark-purple energy materializes in front of you. It's already starting to fray, but with how neatly you stitched its moderately dense energies, it'll probably last a few minutes.

(Control: 5+1-1=5)

Nothing seems to happen, though you feel the small mote of energy you gather be expended. Perhaps too weak to see any result.

Quote from: Outsider Boar
Incomprehensible squealing, tar-like blood dripping from its maw.

(Dislodge: 3-1=2)
(Might: 2+1=3)

The boar, blinded and no doubt pissed off, attempts to dislodge Skylord, and doesn't meet with much success. The grip of the magical-girl on its back is too tight for even its frantic shaking to easily remove.

Heavenly sees the boar and begins scrambling backwards "Oh dear she was right!"

Oh jeez! Oh jeez! I'm not ready for this at all! Why is it so mad anyway we didn't do anything to it yet! Oh jeez! I gotta get to safety and practice more of those word things! Like Requiem that sounds like a neat word!

You scramble away as most of the rest of your team immediately unleash two magical attacks and a grappling maneuver onto the giant boar-thing.

It doesn't seem to see you! Thank goodness.

(Power: 6-1=5)
(Control: 4)

A bulky, cast-iron frying pan materializes out of the same dull brown energy, and thunks onto the sandy ground.

It doesn't look like the most impressive thing, but it could be an okay bludgeoning weapon.

Or a tool for cooking food.

It's already crumbling apart, though. Not going to last more than a few minutes, seems like.

Undeterred by the initial lack of success of its first creation, the wound in reality is beginning to accelerate its throbbing. Something else is coming.

[1 Turn until second Incursion wave.]

Spoiler: Outsider Boar (click to show/hide)
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams - First Incursion (5 / 5) - 4
« Reply #119 on: April 01, 2023, 08:38:13 pm »

Heavenly Clerk picks up the frying pan with shocking ease despite its apparent weight she examines it in fascination "Woahhh... I mean h-hang on guys I can actually help now!"

Time to be useful! Now I got a frying pan I can turn that pig into bacon! CHARGEEEEEE! Oh gosh my heart is pounding! This is probably a terrible idea!

Spoiler:  Heavenly Clerk (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 08:40:52 pm by Fluffe9911 »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24