Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [0.30] Gremlin Republics, Gremlin Language, & Gremlin Tools  (Read 833 times)

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[0.30] Gremlin Republics, Gremlin Language, & Gremlin Tools
« on: October 07, 2022, 02:16:17 am »

GREMLIN REPUBLICS

Promotional artwork custom generated via use of Dalle2

Adds a playable gremlin race to Dwarf Fortress, a gremlin language, and a couple tools that the gremlins will need in order to mine and chop wood. They are in fact so tiny, that they are unable to use picks and axes, simply due to their size limitations. Thus, digging spoons, and hatchets, have been added into the game for them to use.

Note:
I haven't finished the gremlin language, as last I checked the total number of words for each language is 2196.
The missing parts are supplemented by goblin, even though these languages sound nothing alike, this is done to avoid creating any new bugs.

An example of gremlin speech as seen in a modded game:
"Alocrim'oochauh'nob-bob'el" - The Harmonious Crimson Empire.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Code: [Select]
QA Section:
Question: "Can I assign labors to the gremlins?"
Answer: "No."

Question: "How do I get them to do stuff?"
Answer: "I dunno. Maybe you don't? While you can't enable labors for gremlins by default in base game, I've found that if a gremlin has a high enough skill in something,
they'll usually have the corresponding labor enabled when you deploy, or whenever they migrate over to your fort."

Question: "What happens when a gremlin child grows up and has no skills? How do I train them to preform literally any job?"
Answer: "I have no idea. If you play the mod for that long, as gremlins that is, you'll probably want to consider enlisting the help of DFHack on that one."

Question: "When do the trade caravans arrive?"
Answer: "Winter."

Note:
Be careful! Gremlins are still technically pets, so they won't be listed as citizens, and you won't be able to see their internal thoughts or feelings. You may have to infer how they're feeling based only on their outward behavior.  You can use DFhack for several work arounds though. Oh. And do be sure not to accidentally butcher or geld your own gremlins by mistake when managing livestock. That may have happened once, or possibly several times, during one of my first extended game sessions with them.

This mod is still currently under development, and and all feedback / frustration / concerns / comments / suggestions / etc. are welcome and appreciated!

Link to mod listing over on DFFD:
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16113
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 09:00:38 pm by dikbutdagrate »

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.27] Gremlin Republics, Gremlin Language, & Gremlin Tools
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2022, 01:26:47 pm »

Several hotfixes have been deployed.

[0.24] original release
[0.25] Don't remember; added more gremlin vocab.
[0.26] Don't remember; added more gremlin vocab.
[0.27] Fixed the "turkey talker" position so the name now displays properly; magistrates are able to resolve petitions again; added more gremlin vocab.
[0.30] Fixed several display issues with certain noble titles; Fixed a particular military dependency chain that was leading to bugs; modified how Senators are elected, are now contingent on land holding; added additional words to the gremlin language (Gremlish?)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 09:03:31 pm by dikbutdagrate »