Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Forum platoon II: Halls of Abaddon. New players welcome!  (Read 3424 times)

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forum platoon II: Halls of Abaddon. New players welcome!
« on: September 26, 2022, 06:10:41 am »

The level at the start of the game: the Halls of Abaddon.

Introduction: what is this?
This is a war where you will create pixel art units that will brutally destroy each other. Choose a color (not red), claim an unclaimed door and start pumping out units to conquer the Halls of Abaddon!
It is a sequel to Rosehearts Forum Platoon game. Hosted with their permission. The rules have changed slightly.

Turns and actions
  • Each player can play one turn per day. (A day starts at 00.00 GMT.) You're allowed to post an announcement of your turn and edit your post later to finish it. Please finish your turn within half an hour of such an announcement.
  • On your turn, you can take a maximum of two actions (such as creating or moving units). Post a .png format picture of the resulting state of the level.
  • Attacks work differently from other actions! Attacking does not cost an action, but can only be done once with each unit each turn. See unit-specific actions for details.
  • There are two types of Doors: 9 Airlocks and 2 Armories. At the start of the game they are Red, this is a special color, reserved to show that a door is unclaimed.
  • Join the game by picking a color and claiming an unclaimed Airlock. Paint the door in your own color. This counts as one action, so you can immediately create your first Engineer.

Definition: Accessible Squares
A Square is Accessible from another square if it is adjacent and there is no wall between them. If there is a wall between them that belongs to you, the square counts as Accessible for you, but not for other players.

Creating units, Types of units
  • There are three types of units: Engineers, Soldiers and Flamebats
  • You may spend an action to create new Engineers. For each Airlock, you may spawn a new Engineer on a square that is Accessible from the Airlock. It's not allowed to spawn more Engineers if you already have two times as many units as the number of airlocks you own.
  • You can only gain Soldiers or Flamebats by transforming Engineers at an Armory, see Common Actions.

Common Actions
  • Any unit may move to an Accessible square. Note that this can be applied twice to the same unit in one turn.
  • Any unit may sacrifice itself to claim an unclaimed door (Airlock or Armory), provided that the door is Accessible.
  • Any unit may disown a door owned by another player, provided that the door is Accessible. The door reverts back to unclaimed (red).
  • Any unit may transform into a different type, if you own an Accessible armory.

Teleporters
  • Any unit may jump through a teleporter, but the same unit can only do that once per turn.
  • If the teleporter is horizontal, you end up at the opposite end of another horizontal teleporter of your choice.
  • If the teleporter is vertical, you end up at the opposite end of another vertical teleporter of your choice.
  • This action is only possible if the exit square is empty.
  • This action is only possible if the entry and exit are both Accessible.

Special actions for Engineers
  • Attack: destroy an enemy unit if it is Accessible.
  • An engineer may move to an adjacent square that is blocked by a wall. However, this costs two actions!
  • An engineer may build a wall in your color. This wall is owned by you and makes the square Accessible by you alone. You may build at most two times as many walls as the number of Airlocks you own.
  • An engineer may break down a wall belonging to you or another player.

Special actions for Soldiers
  • Attack: a soldier can shoot from any distance in a straight line u/d/l/r. The first wall or unit belonging to an enemy that it hits is destroyed (no friendly fire). This attack is blocked by the fixed (black) walls.

Special actions for Flamebats
  • Attack: a flamebat can fire, destroying all units and owned walls in a line of three squares u/d/l/r. Includes friendly fire! Also disowns any doors it hits. This attack is stopped by the fixed (black) walls.

Winning the game
The first player to capture a total of six doors wins the game.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 02:52:27 pm by Quarque »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Forum platoon II: Halls of Abaddon. New players welcome!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2022, 01:35:25 pm »

I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Mood: Cautiously Optomistic
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2022, 09:02:15 pm »

Awesome With Autism
Currently listening to: Goldeneye Menu

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2022, 05:28:40 am »

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2022, 06:00:26 am »

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2022, 01:15:38 pm »

Sorry, I designed the level with the idea that you can't bounce a unit back and forth between two teleporters in one turn and then forgot that when writing the rules. Is everybody ok with me disallowing such a bounce again?

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2022, 01:21:18 pm »

Are we talking about 'boomerang teleports', or just going back to where you started, which appears to have no tactical value?

Either way, I'm fine with the ban.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 01:27:05 pm by RoseHeart »
Awesome With Autism

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2022, 02:46:33 pm »

I'm fine with the ban.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2022, 09:19:27 pm »

dibs

« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 09:24:52 pm by RoseHeart »
Awesome With Autism

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2022, 01:12:41 am »

I'm also okay with banning that.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2022, 10:13:32 am »

Ok, I edited the rule about teleporters to ban bouncing. A unit may only jump into a teleporter once per turn.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2022, 10:54:58 am »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2022, 12:15:38 pm »

A new challenger emerges.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2022, 12:34:47 pm »

I did regard the switch from external unit colors to internal an advancement, in my goal to lean more and more on the ""Photo Realistic"" side---the Picture Wars side---of the PWxHH mashup. Makes more room for adding temporary effects.
Though I suppose there's a certain, "Arcade-y", quality to reverting back to this. (Even if it's not my preference.)

Welcome NQT!
Awesome With Autism

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2022, 12:53:10 pm »

Hello! I also like the internal unit colour, but this works too.

I was pleased that the doors are all connected so you can fill them in a new colour with one click.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7