Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Forum platoon II: Halls of Abaddon. New players welcome!  (Read 3400 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Forum platoon II: Halls of Abaddon. New players welcome!
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2022, 08:09:58 am »

Eh, missing a day sure does stink. I set aside a time to do this each day so I can remember, but if I get distracted which I often tend to do, then I miss out.

I'm still playing, but...

These turn 'buckets' of time really feel like a loss when missed, where a cooldown timer felt like an accumulative effort I could check in whenever. This feels like missing a train, where as the other felt like laying as many bricks as you can muster.

There's gotta be a compromise to be found somewhere, if I'm going to continue to be involved with the series.
Awesome With Autism

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2022, 08:31:38 am »

I think there's just this 'completionist dread' I feel, it's almost shame for not hitting every single turn, where as before it was impossible. So your efforts to take many turns were an expression of your enthusiasm. I don't want to go back to where limited activity players can't compete though, but I do want to find 'Option C'.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 08:39:18 am by RoseHeart »
Awesome With Autism

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2022, 11:35:46 am »

How about this for a future game: each time someone posts, all players get +1 action on their turn (from a base of 0). So you can have rapid-fire back-and-forths, but someone can always catchup if they miss a day but they're still alive. The person with a lot of actions to use would still be limited on attacks on their turn, so the extra actions wouldn't be too dangerous to people who didn't stockpile.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2022, 11:47:03 am »

Tbh I think the best option is having turns. There's a reason that over 99% of all games work like that.. any other scheme seems imbalanced in some way.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2022, 12:47:38 pm »

Tbh I think the best option is having turns. There's a reason that over 99% of all games work like that.. any other scheme seems imbalanced in some way.

Perhaps the simplest solution is the best.

How about this for a future game: each time someone posts, all players get +1 action on their turn (from a base of 0). So you can have rapid-fire back-and-forths, but someone can always catchup if they miss a day but they're still alive. The person with a lot of actions to use would still be limited on attacks on their turn, so the extra actions wouldn't be too dangerous to people who didn't stockpile.

(creative idea! However)
I think 2 actions per turn was one of the stronger design elements inherited from the Hurt & Heal side of it. It's light and breezy and easy to keep track of.

I'd vote for trying turns. But it's your experiment Quarque, which I must admit has been very successful.
Awesome With Autism

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2022, 12:59:46 pm »

^You took us somewhere I wouldn't have been able to. It's why a growing game host community is so exciting!

(creative idea! However)
I think 2 actions per turn was one of the stronger design elements inherited from the Hurt & Heal side of it. It's light and breezy and easy to keep track of.

Now, those 2 actions could be more...robust. I still think a unit should never move enough spaces to be confusing what they did. Not sure if that line is 2 spaces, 3, etc. We could try units with more varying attributes next time.. one that can sprint, one that can attack enemies multiple times, one that can capture easier. See how that goes.

I think armories need to go too, otherwise we only see one unit type.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 01:08:03 pm by RoseHeart »
Awesome With Autism

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2022, 02:15:55 am »

I like the way the game is running right now because I actually have a chance to do stuff in it and because of the pacing if I miss a day it isn't that big of a deal.

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2022, 07:25:17 am »

I think armories need to go too, otherwise we only see one unit type.
I think this is a problem with my level design, not with the rules. It needs more and more accessible armories.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2022, 01:14:55 am »

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2022, 03:27:07 am »

The color of the door is a bit off, sorry about that. I'm on mobile and didn't find the tools to get it exactly right.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2022, 06:58:01 am »

That's door number six. Thanks for playing, everyone! Hope you guys have an interest in another round? If so, I will come up with a few level designs, with a vote to decide which one we'll play.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2022, 10:36:30 am »

Is hosting the next match something you might want to do? If you want changes to the pacing, this would be how to bring them about.

I'm realizing if I didn't host Space Platoon II, I'd be free to pursue a different project I've been waiting on. Otherwise I'll use the same pacing next time, as that's one of the anchor points for me.

Sure, I would enjoy hosting the next match. Are you sure you're okay with that? I will start it next week, then. If you have any second thoughts in the meantime, please do let me know.

What's this about hosting the 3rd match? I don't remember me asking (or offering) to do so.

If you'd like to take designing the next map as your prize though, I have a few specifications, regarding dimensions and a quota for some special components. One will be the return of a window, one will be something I haven't revealed yet.

Since you are interested in continuing an active role in the series, go ahead and open the OOC.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 11:46:35 am by RoseHeart »
Awesome With Autism

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2022, 01:22:35 pm »

(Here's your full list of prize options...)

LIGHT BLUE ARMY WINS!!!!

The base is yours, now mold it as you see fit. Choose 1:

• Statue: (Default) A 1x1 statue erected in your honor. It's in your team color, which you now have reserved. Replaces any former statue. If you already own the current statue, you can increase its' size by +1 in either width or height. Stacks.

• Command: Keep the current map, and prevent progressive proposals from being passed until the end of the next match unless you approve.

• Schematics: You get to make one conservative game change that skips voting. Can be multiple if closely connected.

• Map: Design next map, or choose one designed by someone else. Can also revisit a previous map. (Ask about requirements)

• Intel: Replace the teleporter with a new map object, or add a new unit.

• Boss: ? (NOT AVAILABLE - Can't be chosen if the host wins...)

All game changes will need the next host's approval. Please PM your selection to them in a timely manner.

I plan to host the next match on the 21st. In that time players may still participate in the OOC Thread. You are welcome to discuss what you'd like to see for the series going forward. Regarding the pacing though, I have already decided. You will be able to play it like FP II, or FP I. Neither will have an advantage, as hourly players may only take 2 half turns, until all players have posted. While the Greenwich system does nothing for me personally, I see no reason to take it out when others do benefit.

(I recommend locking this thread, so there is one place for discussion.)

Edit: OOC url updated.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 12:33:45 am by RoseHeart »
Awesome With Autism

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2022, 03:05:09 am »

Well damn I was planing on taking that door my guys were near, but I look to long positioning my guys for the attack.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 18, 2022, 11:15:52 pm »

Ok, well I'd like to design a new map, but currently I'm on holiday and only have forum access on mobile, so I can't do it before the 21st.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7