Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On Building: An Architect Noble  (Read 851 times)

serpent

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
On Building: An Architect Noble
« on: September 27, 2022, 10:54:37 am »

From Toady (9/26/2022):

“And constructions can be built vertically now, as long as one of the levels has access to building materials - we haven't yet set up the system where you don't even need specific items available at all, and that'll be too risky to set up before the release”

Essentially what I understand is that they will, at some point, add the ability to lay out plans for building stuff, such as castles and just above ground buildings, in a way that doesn’t require materials to be immediately available. This would be awesome! However I imagine that would take some reworking of some systems.

I had a little smidge of an idea to add a new Noble! Essentially the way it works in my head is that you would put down the blueprints for a build somewhere, if materials aren’t all available you’d elect an Architect to analyze the build, compare what stocks you have and essentially have work orders like the manager where the X amount of blocks need to be made in order for the build to be complete. You could check their screen to see how many materials are needed, maybe how many you have, set conditions like material type (wood, stone, type of wood, type of stone, etc).

What do you guys think? This is a super rough idea that just hatched in my head when reading through the dev blog from Toady posted yesterday.

Thanks!

~~~:>

Bjorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: On Building: An Architect Noble
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2022, 05:19:28 pm »

There is something of a building planner used with the noob pack, but this would definitely be a GREAT vanilla feature I'd love to see. Because then it would only be accessible if you had the architect and you could create limitations on when you can get one (must have a mayor first, for example).

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2022, 07:39:06 pm »

+1

A Master Mason would be a fitting title for such a position. It's also a title that they had during the medieval period (with responsibilities quite similar to your suggestion).

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2022, 09:01:24 pm »

+1

A Master Mason would be a fitting title for such a position. It's also a title that they had during the medieval period (with responsibilities quite similar to your suggestion).

What if the construction is made entirely out of wood?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2022, 09:32:31 pm »

+1

What if the construction is made entirely out of wood?

Well, there could also be a Master Elf-Offender?

...But Master Mason is another name for Master Builder. (Though, I'm hardly an expert (or even an amateur) on the subject.