Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: Spookyfort IV: The Overlook - Overspookers welcome!  (Read 13894 times)

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile

Overseer Report Year 1294 7
So there i was leading my striking session when i heard the mad doctor has given up. Honestly where do they find these dwarves, if it was anything like my journey here then they just picked up any dwarf they came across. Curse that driver.

Im Avolition Masterbodice, the unfortunate overseer of wherever i even am. It is certainly not my home, green army men, headcrabs and all sorts of creatures and races ive never seen before. Most of the dwarves don't even recognise them, they might know one or two but never all of them. But our stories of getting here are strange, some wake up here, others lost in the fog but me. I was driven here.

It was Moonstone 6th 1294, I was just relaxing with some turnip wine when i heard the wheels of a wagon. I open the door and sure enough a black wagon wafted out of the cold night mist. It stopped by my well and a figure began the process of filling what appeared to be barrels. Being the helpful gal i was, i approached. It was only as i approached did i realise the figure was shroaded, cloaked in darkness. He let out a megar "thanks" as i turned the crank lowering the bucket. It was a mostly silent as we filled up his barrels. It was only when we had finish did he speak again. "We could use a strong dwarf such as yourself for our new fort, would you be interested?" I ofcorse said yes, anything to find someone i could connect with. I was lonely out here. Next thing i knew i was in the wagon, i didnt even remember packing my things.

The journey was long, we traveled "south" , we would occasionally stop at sites but i had never heard of them, we would now and again pick up another dwarf. We were too busy chatting about our hopes for this place that we didnt even realise how alien the landscapes had become outside. By the time i had realised we were emerging from a mist towards a downwards ramp. Next thing you know im here.

Looking through my predecessors notes, i question his sanity. He thinks its the year 6, what nonsense. I ask another dwarf, i get a different date, it happens again and again. The horror of my situation is starting to sink in. Like a cracked veneer, im starting to see the gaps in our knowledge. A group of army men have arrived to trade. Il ask them.

He said its the 11th of Hematite of the year 7. SEVEN THE YEAR WHAT. I panic, it must be a difference in years, different type of year for them. I will just pop down to the library and come to think of it, we don't have one. I will just ask the traders for any books or scrolls, the green men looked puzzled at me. ASKED WHAT A BOOK OR SCROLL IS? THEY DONT KNOW WHAT A LIBRARY IS. THEY DONT KNOW. I ask if they had a map, they did and i gave them a craft for it under the table. WELL THIS IS CERTAINLY NOWHERE IM FAMILIAR WITH but maybe a dwarf here might know of a library location. Some seem to be familar with the concept.

I look at the population list and we have a book binder, i ask her and she looks puzzled too. She names a library she worked at but she cant find it on the map but remembers the forts name. I go back to the army men and ask them for directions and THEY DONT KNOW THAT PLACE, THEY POINT TO THE MAP, THIS IS ALL THERE IS YOUR FORT, YOUR CAPITAL AND TWO HAMLETS. I appologise and sheepishly headed to my room. I was more lost that i had realised and now im incharge of these dwarves. I need to help them, i need to learn more. I need to build a library.

(OOC: Looked in legends and saw no books, no scrolls and no librarys)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 05:54:45 pm by AvolitionBrit »
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

beware the time traveling black wagon!

it was only 6 years ago this world was made. not much time to write a book.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile

Yeah, I reckon some modded race was causing a crash when they dug too deep. I didn't feel like I had enough time to hunt that bug down, so the world gen ended at year 5.

Yes! We must make a library!

Great work both Salmeuk and SQman! Looking forward to more spooky absurdity. Love the plot you're drumming up, AvolitionBrit.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile

Thanks, also I know what causes the world gen crashes late I believe. It's the no eat tocken. Causes the civilization to exponential have livestock and not kill any so it snowballs

Drunken scholar

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

PTW.

What specifically from my misc. stuff did you opt to include, if you don't mind my asking delphonso?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks, also I know what causes the world gen crashes late I believe. It's the no eat tocken. Causes the civilization to exponential have livestock and not kill any so it snowballs

I believe there's also one related to noble positions for dig-deep civilizations. It occurred pretty regularly around the 20-40 year mark, which points to the dig deep thing. Both are easy fixes, but also both require effort from me, a lazy ghost.

PTW.

What specifically from my misc. stuff did you opt to include, if you don't mind my asking delphonso?

Just about anything easy to include. Civs and creatures, mostly. None of the equipment was included, just because there were too many entities for me to pick which ones to give access to whatever stuff.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile

I'm not gonna pretend I know what exactly caused the crashes, but the errorlog is intimidating. There's a lot of missing interactions, many creatures have missing tissues (which, in many cases, is on the modders), and some civs have missing items. Errorlog is your best friend when assembling a modpack, though at this point it doesn't really matter.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam

I'm kinda amused one of the first deaths in the fort was a mundane giant cave toad.
Also yeah, if there's a lot of mats and tissues missing that probably would also be the reason for crashes. Shame, but still cool to see this going on.
I'm also a tad surprised the creeping rot attacked but the blooming beasts did not - the rots don't have LARGE_PREDATOR but the blooming beasts do. Something's screwy with creature hostility in fort mode.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 01:35:36 pm by ZM5 »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile

Thats it, the final straw. More beasts attack... i cannot focus on the library anymore. Im going back down to write the first scroll, if you are reading this congrats new overseer. Once you dig through these papers and catch up on my goings on you will be ready to lead the fortress. A few things i will say.

The blob is dead, DONT TOUCH IT, it killed and turned two of our dwarves into it. To be safe no touchy if infected trick them into cavern layer 1.

The 1st Cavern level is to REMAIN sealed off, that horrific Forgotten beast is down there and trust me you cannot take him, the beasts fire incinerates anything it touches just ask the mad doctor SQ Mann, he is that black mark on the wall there.

Yes we have Adamantine, rejoice. Might need to bulster the army

A tradition i started to honor all overseer dwarves was to put a masterwork gold statue of them in key places, boost moral remember US, remember us

MORE MASTERWORK BOOKCASES, WE NEED PERFECTION SO I CAN WORK, YES THATS WHY IM STRUGGLING TO WRITE. MORE SHELFS, MORE SHELFS. ONLY MASTERWORKS FOR THE LIBRARY

THE LIBRARYS NAME IS URIST, WE MUST FEED HIM, WE MUST FEED HIM KNOWLEDGE OR EL

KILL ALL THE PIGMYS, THEY STEAL OUR TREASURES AND COME FROM THE WALLS AND EARTH AND WALLS AND EARTH

THE MECHANISMS ARE KEY, THEY ARE THE KEY. AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

THE ICE SPIRIT BLESSES US ALL, BLESS US ALL. THE SECRETS OF THE ICE, ARE THEY A KEY

IVE SEEN TOO MUCH, YOU WILL SEE TOO MUCH WE ARE DOOMED AHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

(Year posts to follow just a enough for the next overseer, im down to take another wild ride with this fort)
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16114

Drunken scholar

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

KILL ALL THE PIGMYS, THEY STEAL OUR TREASURES AND COME FROM THE WALLS AND EARTH AND WALLS AND EARTH

they creep through the gaps in the stones at night

the caverns are a source of pain, suffering, death spookiness. we should monetize this feature. though after a second read of that forgotten beast's description... maybe not lol

« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 08:51:22 pm by Salmeuk »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nice turn Avolition!

I guess I'm the next one then?

It's all yours.

they creep through the gaps in the stones at night

the caverns are a source of pain, suffering, death spookiness. we should monetize this feature. though after a second read of that forgotten beast's description... maybe not lol

Hmm. I was thinking of trying to put together a terrorcoaster through the caverns on my turn, but my competency with minecarts is pretty low. So it might end up being more of one of those Roller Coaster Tycoon rides that...you know...kills everyone.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile

Mr Bones wild ride inside the caverns, dodging fireballs being launched at you.

Drunken scholar

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile

Overseer Report Year 7

On the 3rd of Hematite,Festivetomes the Coincidences of Symmetry was created an artifact mudstone amulet

On the 14th Galena 7  Slowwards the Chartreuse Plan the legendary bronze war hammer is created, exactly what me need to fend of these monstrosities

On the 3rd of Limestone, reports from the surface of two serpent men from the volcano manor (wherever that is) guiding these horrifc looking aliens towards us, i dispatch the squad and no casualtys but the weapons they had prove dangerous, if they had more of them it could of been far worse.
Spoiler: Battle reports (click to show/hide)
On the 19th of Limestone, more doomed Migrants arrived, lost and confused great. Atleast this year will be short as im starting part of the way throught it.
On the 1st of Moonstone, something horrific approaches, strange humanoids dressed as medical staff approach, i dispatch the squad and we unfortunatly suffer one casualty.
Spoiler: Battle report (click to show/hide)
On the 26th of Moonstone,These fucking pygmies, im trying to restore the knowledge of the world and the squad can't kill three pigmys on stole an artifact from us....
Slowwards the Chartreuse Plan. I am baffeled how the dwarf wielding the weapon could lose it to the pigmys. Hopefully we will get them back, pygmys are kill on
site

The year has been okay, we have continued our plans to dig out the library as my mind floods with ideas, this is going to be the worlds first library it must be perfect right Urist. I have attached our plans for it.
Spoiler: Library Plans (click to show/hide)

Drunken scholar

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile

Ok, just got the save and will be starting my turn shortly.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14