Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 34

Author Topic: United Kingdom Bunker Thread - Politics & Economics  (Read 26639 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: United Kingdom Bunker Thread - Politics & Economics
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2022, 06:36:30 pm »

Truss has reportedly forbidden King Charles from speaking on environmental matters. Which might be an overstep of the bounds of the convention that the monarch isn't supposed to publicly voice opinions.

For reference, Charles has been an advocate of environmental conservation and pro-Green policy since the 70s. Truss denies that Anthropogenic Climate Change exists.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2022, 06:37:35 pm »

She also threw her chancellor under the bus by claiming he made the decision on cutting the 45p rate, even though she was saying she’s cut taxes for the rich during her leadership campaign.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2022, 07:26:38 pm »

Tory conference was met with boos from Brum. Hardly a surprise, this has to be one of the most unpopular governments in a long, long time.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2022, 07:28:57 pm »

Rich people probably love this government...

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2022, 07:30:52 pm »

Unfortunately for the Tories, rich people are a minority of a minority. It's impossible to win an election off the back of just them, and while there may be a few moguls with control over most of the UK's news media, we've still got enough (And a state broadcaster that, while somewhat compromised, still provides decent reporting) that no matter what these moronic ideas will get called out.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2022, 07:31:05 pm »

Truss has reportedly forbidden King Charles from speaking on environmental matters.

lol

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2022, 07:33:27 pm »

In related news, King Charles has forbidden Prime Minister Truss from speaking on child welfare matters....joke

EDIT: I now understand why Europeans love posting in AmeriPol. It's fun when it's not your own country!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2022, 08:45:42 pm »

I’m a Brit that lives in America so I get to post in Ameripol to complain about that, and I’m here to complain  about this.

I can’t vote in either country it’s wonderful.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2022, 04:38:23 am »

I'm just going to hide underground and drown my sorrows in oats porridge. On the bright side the marathon was cool, and interest rates going up was a long time coming - the god awful age of unlimited quantitative easing had to end, I was sick of the already ludicrously wealthy being allowed to borrow unlimited cheap money to ultimately do nothing productive and pass on the cost of their investments onto the economy via inflation

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2022, 08:50:59 pm »

I'm just going to hide underground and drown my sorrows in oats porridge. On the bright side the marathon was cool, and interest rates going up was a long time coming - the god awful age of unlimited quantitative easing had to end, I was sick of the already ludicrously wealthy being allowed to borrow unlimited cheap money to ultimately do nothing productive and pass on the cost of their investments onto the economy via inflation
...I feel like this is an accurate way to describe the American economy as well.

But even now, the housing mortgage rates are 6% and inflation is 8%. Mortgages are STILL FREE, but not FREE ENOUGH.
.... although, you do need income to cover the payments, so it still benefits the Rich over the Poor

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2022, 07:43:56 am »

No matter whether the economy is doing well or doing poorly, it always benefits the rich over the poor :<

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2022, 11:36:21 pm »

Power begets power, whoda thunk it?

And as put in Red Mars:

Money is power, power makes law, and law makes government.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2022, 04:24:19 am »

I don't want a monarchy, but I have very little against the Swedish royal house, so I'm not very firey to get rid of it, particularly with the current crown princess looking like such a decent fellow.

I'm also not too impressed by American republicanism, and wouldn't want our system based on that. I'd look to Finland since they're so close to us but I know very little about that part of their system.

But most of all, the thing I feel the most passionate about and the reason I could never agree with our Swedish republicans. I don't want a fucking "president". I loathe the way they are scrubbing away our language, traditions, and cultural identity from our system of governance. I want to go back to our ancient traditions of electing our kings (But not for life of course), our democratic roots that was stolen from us. Acceptable alternatives would be jarl or drott. If possibly a Swedish word for stewarding, but it'd have to be Swedish.
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2022, 06:10:14 am »

I'm an ardent monarchist for larping reasons

Lords sound cooler than members of the upper law court, Knighthoods are better when they actually Knights and not just politician stickers and ribbons, and it's not possible for a Prime Minister to gain autocratic airs and respect the same way a President is able to. Someone made a big argument that all the Presidential Soviet successors became dictatorships, the mixed ones had troubles and all the parliamentary ones like the baltic countries became successful democracies, because it was impossible for an El-Presidente to arise and be both head of government and head of state at the same time.

That's fair and all but I just like the larp. It also means when people start trying to take themselves too seriously you can laugh at them because they are larping too. It's also got that nice continuity of history that I think you shouldn't abandon unless you absolutely must; because once abandoned, you cannot bring it back to life

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2022, 06:53:15 am »

Well, apart from one particular statement, I'm surprised to find broad agreement with LW on this issue...

Anyway, given the flurry of news outlets using (often incorrectly) the "No U-Turns" signage, let me instead...
Spoiler: ...post this... (click to show/hide)
...as a topical on-topic comment.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 34