Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 33

Author Topic: United Kingdom Bunker Thread - Politics & Economics  (Read 26272 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: United Kingdom Bunker Thread - Politics & Economics
« Reply #270 on: January 22, 2023, 12:10:17 pm »

The only problem with getting any particular person out of their job for being dodgy (as MP, or as Minister/whatever given that they're already an MP/Lord/other-higher-upperer) is that frequently their replacement, successor or even tansitional intermediary (while the whole role is abolished/subsumed/merged/re-split) seems to always end up at least as fallible.

Reporting bias, of course, as anyone perfectly and unimpeachably competent isn't going to have (true) reporting of their pre-emminent and proven suitability for the role. But all political roles do seem to end in failure.

Or quitting in response to someone else's failures (e.g. as Ethics Advisor). But whilst that would seem to make them honourable and suitable candidates to fulfill the role (assuming also no jumping well before anybody realises they could and should be pushed), they've just quit! Meaning anybody who has attained a given position is more likely than not a person who is not the most suited to the role, one say or another.  An extension to the Peter Principle

That all said, even with the likely laser-guided attacks and counter-briefings from their natural enemies (including their own fellows, as well as those who are more party-politically opposed), even after much churning, the current cream of the Conservatives has been found to have a lot more of a sour taste than we should feel comfortable with. And no obvious quick-fix (or even medium-term one).

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 22, 2023, 12:16:21 pm »

Nadhim Zahawi exposed for being an obvious tax dodger. This is after the inquiry into Rishi Sunak's wife tax dodging has begun. Lord, is there any MP in Westminster who isn't a tax cheat? The Zahawi story is particularly egregious because he threatened investigators, journalists, and even the independent with legal action if they published Zahawi being a tax cheat
And, as he learned, it doesn't work if your opponent also has resources.

Still, it should be treated as a form of extortion or blackmail considering it had nothing to go on and was obviously done in the name of intimidation against having the truth spoken. It won't be, and I don't think we even have a law for it, but it should be.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 22, 2023, 03:27:21 pm »

It’s a wonderful example to set for everyone, the person responsible for the purse strings not paying their taxes, and actively trying to avoid paying them by hiding their income.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 23, 2023, 12:59:29 am »

So about that "public order, no locking on and no tunneling" bill... What if the bill is the way it is, because there was little negotiation or debate between the authors, so they were less critical of how the final result could be misused?

It seems to me that most politicians would dislike and fear this type of protest activity because it is "sacrificial". They cannot use force to coerce you to leave once you are stuck, you didn't run away like someone who has done something wrong, and the cause you are standing for it one they don't want to have an open discussion about. Politicians thrive on people being self-interested above all else, to either accept a payout or to be afraid of being harmed, so the people will ignore actions against sub-groups of the citizens.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 10:57:00 am by anewaname »
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #274 on: January 23, 2023, 07:39:30 am »

It’s a wonderful example to set for everyone, the person responsible for the purse strings not paying their taxes, and actively trying to avoid paying them by hiding their income.
One of the troubles is HMRC tends to be very happy just settling with a 30% penalty for rich dodgers. Which is a pity, as I can get the logic - it gets more revenue in and it also avoids costly legal battles. However the moral and political consequences of rich people being able to pay out to avoid being thrown in prison for what someone poorer would face for the same action... Two parallel societies become apparent

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 04, 2023, 09:55:57 pm »

From what little I understand of British Law & Politics vs. American Law & Politics, Libel suits are much more effective in Britain than in America.

In America, threatening to sue someone for publishing something would mostly get only laughter from the the press. But it's a legit threat in the UK.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 04, 2023, 11:38:41 pm »

From what little I understand of British Law & Politics vs. American Law & Politics, Libel suits are much more effective in Britain than in America.

In America, threatening to sue someone for publishing something would mostly get only laughter from the the press. But it's a legit threat in the UK.

I dunno about that. A former politician got sued for defamation after calling someone homophobic in a newspaper article, and even though the judge in the case found that she was incorrect in that assertion, she didn’t have to pay damages.

Edit: forgot the reason I came to the thread!

It wasn’t my fault I was utterly incompetent, it was the FUCKING COMMIES, says Liz Truss.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 11:41:18 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #277 on: February 05, 2023, 06:26:26 am »

It wasn’t my fault I was utterly incompetent, it was the FUCKING COMMIES, says Liz Truss.
How neoliberal do you have to get for hedge fund managers to become the left wing establishment in your eyes

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 05, 2023, 09:35:04 am »

Ah, I got beaten to it.

I don't know if Truss is actually delusional or she thinks this will make people go "Ah, maybe we should give her another chance"
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 05, 2023, 12:10:26 pm »

I don't know if Truss is actually delusional or she thinks this will make people go "Ah, maybe we should give her another chance"
#include WhyNotBoth.meme

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 15, 2023, 11:30:20 am »

It seems Sturgeon is stepping down. Not sure who is in line to replace her. Can't immediately think of a third fish-named politician...

(Also, down south, Corbyn will definitively not be allowed to stand for Labour, if successor Starmer has any say over it, we still have Conservative tussles over certain major figures undergoing enquiries, NI has its own ongoing constitutional crisis and Wales might have more on its plate than merely recently cancelling all new road developments (but I've heard not so much more from that particular corner of the nations, recently).)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 15, 2023, 11:51:14 am »

John Swinney seems the most likely choice, as he’s the current deputy and is the go-to for media appearances if Sturgeon isn’t available, but I think he had a stint as leader between 2000-2004 which wasn’t great.

He has also faced two calls of no confidence in the last few years at the behest of opposition parties, once as education secretary during the exams scandal in 2020 (that the UK government failed to learn from and did the exact same thing a few weeks later) and for failing to publish legal advice given to the Scottish government in relation to the government’s legal battle with Alex Salmond.

I wouldn’t be particularly happy with him in the role, but… who else?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 15, 2023, 12:38:34 pm »

Well, I had a little look for fishlike-names, and maybe not John Finnie (whilst Bob Doris is a bit of a stretch), but how could I forget that there's always Mairi Gougeon!

'Scuse me, while I off to the bookies...

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 15, 2023, 12:59:51 pm »

The bookies favourite is apparently Angus Robertson, so we’re going for more bovine derived foodstuffs now.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 16, 2023, 04:10:50 am »

I think he should be forced to change his name to Anglus
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 33