Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 69

Author Topic: LGBTQ+ Thread  (Read 51794 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: LGBTQ+ Thread
« Reply #720 on: May 27, 2023, 07:18:32 pm »

I'm a bit worried that a couple major companies will back out of their traditional support of Pride Month.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: May 27, 2023, 07:34:40 pm »

I'm a bit worried that a couple major companies will back out of their traditional support of Pride Month.
Have there been any rumblings to that effect? I would seriously doubt it. It's still a huge moneymaker.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: May 27, 2023, 07:41:00 pm »

Have there been any rumblings to that effect? I would seriously doubt it. It's still a huge moneymaker.
Live under a rock much?
Target won't even sell some merchandise

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: May 27, 2023, 07:46:53 pm »

Fakedit: Ninja'd.  Nice that an ally beat me to it *slight smile*.  I'll post anyway

Target already did it with their Pride display a week before Pride even started, yeah.  Not a great sign, but a good indication of the "support" of rainbow capitalism.  It wasn't even the profitable move IMO... I suspect individuals at the company were scared of getting sacked like the ones at Bud Light, and betrayed their shareholders (and us, of course).

Spoiler: Terror tactics (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 07:51:07 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: May 27, 2023, 08:06:58 pm »

Live under a rock much?
Target won't even sell some merchandise
I already knew about that, but that's not at all the same story. Target isn't doing away with Pride merchandise at all - they still have a ton of it. It stopped carrying a specific line because of concerns about a specific person. While I don't really agree with the concerns, that's not in and of itself different from when companies drop products associated with people accused of sexual abuse and things like that. Target as a whole is still all in on Pride Month, although I'm sure that the extent differs by location (as it always has). You're somewhere in upstate New York too, aren't you? You can check for yourself: here, it's just as much a moneymaker as ever.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: May 27, 2023, 08:30:33 pm »

Those concerns being *literally* Satanic Panic bullshit, just to un-obfuscate this a little.  "Concerns" that didn't belong in previous centuries, much less this one, and shouldn't be taken seriously.

As a rational, thinking person I think this has more to do with the momentum of Bud Light and Dylvan Mulvaney.  I don't think the chuds have any "concerns" about fucking Satanism (well the Q cult do, but this is far more mainstream than that).  I think "I don't really agree with the concerns [that the designer depicts Satan in OTHER WORKS]" is a weak-ass response to conservatives smashing up a display and the company responding by pulling it from their stores.

Grow some damn balls, dude.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: May 27, 2023, 08:48:06 pm »

...they could also be "Hard on Crime"

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: May 27, 2023, 09:53:59 pm »

You know what, I don't actually want to bother wasting my time getting into a fight with you.

The original claim was that Target was backing out of Pride. This is clearly false: they still have tons of it. The business decision to remove one dumb "Satanist" poseur's line for causing too much intentional controversy and harming their brand has nothing to do with this. Trying to argue over that is moving the goalposts.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 10:02:45 pm by Maximum Spin »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: May 27, 2023, 10:21:57 pm »

Right.  You will not stop your insincere rhetoric until they have zero pride merch, because that is your goal.
Can you *kindly* make another thread to "discuss" the best way to remove us from society?
She/they

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: May 27, 2023, 11:55:41 pm »

Right.  You will not stop your insincere rhetoric until they have zero pride merch, because that is your goal.
Can you *kindly* make another thread to "discuss" the best way to remove us from society?
I cannot believe you or anyone could seriously think this.

I'm sorry, but this is just insane.

There will be exactly as much 'pride merch' as people want to buy. As of this moment, it looks like that's "lots". I have absolutely no problem with that! I wish everyone an abundance of the things they want. I just don't get why pretending there's a shortage is supposed to help anybody except megacorporations who really don't need the help.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: May 28, 2023, 12:07:21 am »

Cry victim all you like.  No company is pulling the Gadsden flag because of violent armed mobs.
If you gave a shit about freedom, you'd be supporting us.
She/they

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: May 28, 2023, 12:14:18 am »

Cry victim all you like.  No company is pulling the Gadsden flag because of violent armed mobs.
If you gave a shit about freedom, you'd be supporting us.
I'm not crying victim. There's no victimization involved. All that happened is that a rich person chose to accept a payday from a megacorp to sell cheap tat geared toward other rich people, but spoiled the deal by acting like a petulant child trying to consternate the olds with lame fake "Satanism", pulling bad press (as intended) and the predictable response from the megacorp.

By the way, I haven't heard a single credible report of a display being smashed as you claimed. Searching for it now, I see zero news stories even mentioning any such thing. I'm not buying it. If it really happened, then sure, the perpetrators should be arrested for property crime and treated like any other smash-and-grab criminals. This in no way faults Target for making the business decision to pull the line.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: May 28, 2023, 12:20:40 am »

By the way, I haven't heard a single credible report of a display being smashed as you claimed. Searching for it now, I see zero news stories even mentioning any such thing. I'm not buying it. If it really happened, then sure, the perpetrators should be arrested for property crime and treated like any other smash-and-grab criminals. This in no way faults Target for making the business decision to pull the line.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FscUyMuf-Fo

I'm kinda drunk but I'm not intending to "own" you, I'm legitimately saying:  We're fighting for freedom.  If you *actually* have a libertarian bone in your body, you should be on our side.

I guess I have a soft spot for libertarians because ONE of my family members, conservative and libertarian, is actually pretty alright to hang out with.

To be honest, most of you are full of shit.
She/they

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: May 28, 2023, 01:52:06 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FscUyMuf-Fo
... this is supposed to be a "smash"? That was the saddest tik-tok stunt I've ever seen, although to be fair I intentionally don't look at tik-tok stunts. I actually saw this while I was looking, and I thought, that couldn't possibly be what you mean.

By all means, if Target wants to take him to small claims court for the price of putting the cardboard flap back together and hanging it back up, I'm all for it. That's not me being glib: that was indeed a crime, and a very stupid one, and the absolutely laughable way he swaggers while doing it is just icing on the cake, and a guy like that probably doesn't have the brain cells to learn a lesson in the first place but that doesn't mean you can't try.
But, no, I don't believe for a second that that played any part in Target's decision to take down the line we were talking about, because it will have taken an employee (at minimum wage, I imagine) five seconds to put the sign back up and only served to make Target look better and its opponents look like losers. I think it's really dishonest of you to describe this as "conservatives smashing up a display and the company responding by pulling it from their stores", which, at a minimum, seems to imply some broken glass or merchandise rendered unsaleable, or at the very least something that would still be noticeable twenty minutes later. This is a question of framing: if you had just said "at least one asshole doing petty damage to a cardboard sign for social media clout" and not tried to attribute the company's decision to it, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Look. As to the rest of your post. I don't imagine that you or anyone could "own" me, and I find your (and others') attribution of political positions to me really bizarre, and I make it a point not to talk about my own personal shit, and I don't feel that I owe you any explanation of my understanding of 'freedom', even if being up at this hour tends to make me chatty.  I've been  pruning away at this paragraph since I posted it, because I have this natural impulse to keep explaining my view on the whole edgelord Satanism thing, but now you seem to be trying to tell me that "fighting for freedom" somehow necessitates believing that no product line should ever be cancelled for its designer actively alienating customers by pretending to be a devil worshipper, and I just can't really muster up the energy for this. It's not like we don't know that people pretend to Satanism for the very purpose to shock and upset the kind of people this did in fact shock and upset, and that corporations don't like it when people get shocked and upset on their dime. Yes, it's ridiculous that anyone actually believes in Satanism, but we all already knew that some people do. That doesn't have any bearing on anything to do with fighting for freedom.

The source of this argument was whether or not companies were pulling pride support. As far as any indicators show, pride merchandise continues to be a huge moneymaker in most of the country (and several others), and it won't go away as long as it is a huge moneymaker. I'd think that would be something to be happy about, especially at a time when you feel attacked in general. I don't understand the pushback here.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 03:25:32 am by Maximum Spin »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 69