Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 68

Author Topic: LGBTQ+ Thread  (Read 49202 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: LGBTQ+ Thread
« Reply #390 on: January 28, 2023, 02:13:16 pm »

heyyyy guys it's ya girl Iris here, what'd I miss?
Nothing much, except half of the lower boards being eggs apparently

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 28, 2023, 02:19:57 pm »

heyyyy guys it's ya girl Iris here, what'd I miss?
Nothing much, except half of the lower boards being eggs apparently

Considering the demographic likely to be attracted to an online DF community, that isn't even surprising.
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 29, 2023, 01:08:04 pm »

I caught myself thinking the words "I wish I was nonbinary"

Brain do you understand the implications of that or are you just gonna remain clueless lol
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 29, 2023, 03:28:00 pm »

In hindsight the number of times I thought "I'm not trans, I just want to be a girl" was hilarious.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 29, 2023, 04:12:30 pm »

Oh yeah, the "Hang on, most men don't want to be women?" realisation was interesting.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 29, 2023, 04:46:40 pm »

I caught myself thinking the words "I wish I was nonbinary"

Brain do you understand the implications of that or are you just gonna remain clueless lol

Might be worth exploring the thought further, if the idea actually interests you.

Oh yeah, the "Hang on, most men don't want to be women?" realisation was interesting.

I think in nearly 30 years of life, admittedly the first few not being all that complex in terms of thought, I've never wanted to be a girl/woman. I've idly wondered what it's like to be a woman compared to man somewhere under 10 times, mostly as part of discussions about the problems, physical and cultural, women face compared to me which in turn makes me think about the whole alien nature of specific human minds, but that's no more wanting to be a woman than I want to be a cuttlefish.

In a sense, I am a fairly typical specimen of a cis-man. Pretty much no interest in my feminine side, or any issues with my self perception as it relates to my gender and sex. Slightly camp at times, but that's a whole other thing.

Not sure it means everyone who questions their gender at times is necessarily not cis-gender, but it's certainly an indicator.

It can be weird sometimes, to think about how much our minds can differ.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 29, 2023, 04:49:43 pm »

Wondering about it's a fairly standard thing from my understanding. The general difference is that someone who's trans would very likely press a button that swapped their sex, but someone who's cis would only press it if it was temporary or reversible if they would at all.

EDIT: Also, it looks like JK Rowling has finally abandoned all pretense of her transphobia being to protect women and has fully embraced the "All trans women are paedophile rapists" style of TERFism. I can't say I'm surprised, and in fact I'm more surprised it took this long, but it's definitely no good having the rich author of something important to so many people in my generation be like this.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 04:55:17 pm by Great Order »
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 29, 2023, 06:59:19 pm »

Wondering about it's a fairly standard thing from my understanding. The general difference is that someone who's trans would very likely press a button that swapped their sex, but someone who's cis would only press it if it was temporary or reversible if they would at all.

Frankly I concluded I'd be equally unhappy as either gender.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 29, 2023, 07:11:45 pm »

EDIT: Also, it looks like JK Rowling has finally abandoned all pretense of her transphobia being to protect women and has fully embraced the "All trans women are paedophile rapists" style of TERFism. I can't say I'm surprised, and in fact I'm more surprised it took this long, but it's definitely no good having the rich author of something important to so many people in my generation be like this.
(I have made no bones of stating that her literary work is derivative, and just somehow caught a populist zeitgeist. But this isn't where I go on about that.)

I haven't heard her current views, but I suppose it's all from the recent issues of the trans-woman convicted of raping women when a man, here in Scotland. The moment I heard of the case's developments, though, I knew it'd be fashioned into a stick to beat the entirety of some people's least-favourite minority...

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 30, 2023, 01:01:49 am »

To be honest, the worst part of being trans is that everyone things that the fact you are trans is a Big Fucking Deal and not something entirely out of your control.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: January 30, 2023, 08:00:45 am »

The way I think about it is that it's a big weird thing in ways no one expects it to be, and just a boring mundane thing in the ways people expect it to be a big weird thing. And that doesn't even just go for other people! Navigating puberty again in my late 20s while holding down a job 5 years into a career was wild. Just looking around and realizing that in a room of 40 people, no one else in the office can relate to this experience at all, as none (okay, maybe one or two) of them will ever experience it.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 30, 2023, 08:29:01 am »

To be honest, the worst part of being trans is that everyone things that the fact you are trans is a Big Fucking Deal and not something entirely out of your control.
That partily the reason I am not sure about calling myself trans in a sense, for most of the trans people I know irl being trans at least at some point had a very large impact on their life, for me it's sort of like "I don't feel gender as a particular anything, staying with man just seems kinda convenient at some point"

Maybe it's because I only come out to lgbt+ people, but idk, I feel like I am not sure about something.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 30, 2023, 08:09:29 pm »

That partily the reason I am not sure about calling myself trans in a sense, for most of the trans people I know irl being trans at least at some point had a very large impact on their life, for me it's sort of like "I don't feel gender as a particular anything, staying with man just seems kinda convenient at some point"

Maybe it's because I only come out to lgbt+ people, but idk, I feel like I am not sure about something.
I have a few friends like this. It's completely fine to not have a preference about gender, and picking one/coming out to everyone is overrated. Just be yourself and do what makes you happy.

A tangential label that stuck with me a while was "Gender Casual". (source: https://www.egscomics.com/comic/party-134 )
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #403 on: January 31, 2023, 11:55:23 am »

(I have made no bones of stating that her literary work is derivative, and just somehow caught a populist zeitgeist. But this isn't where I go on about that.)
BY THE POWER OF PURCHASING

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 31, 2023, 03:05:16 pm »

So the irony here is too much not to comment on.

I watched that video then opened facebook. A post from The Royal Mint (sponsored): 'Celebrate 25 years of the publication of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone with a coin featuring the Hogwart's Express!'
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 68