Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 68

Author Topic: LGBTQ+ Thread  (Read 49141 times)

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: LGBTQ+ Thread
« Reply #405 on: January 31, 2023, 05:01:39 pm »

Yeah it's kind of incredible slash disturbing how much her media is still all around considering how she is as a person. It's this sort of strange thing where I'm sure most people are not as rampantly transphobic as she is, yet as they turn a blind eye towards it it's hard to deny that they are still transphobic. Or simply do not know.
What kind of answers would you get if you asked the bookstore manager who chose to put her book out front in the Christmas season? Or that other, separate bookstore manager who did the same. Or the employees who went along with it. At some level everyone is doing their job, and at least here (Sweden) I'm sure many people - out of a culture of compulsory goodness - would claim to have no hatred in them. But then a whole group of people are made an affordable loss, consistently. It turns out there's a whole lot of transphobia out there, and it is in the hearts of people, at times subtle, yet festering.

Let's hope, or see to, that that will change. And I'm sorry if my insight was too obvious.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #406 on: February 01, 2023, 05:48:26 pm »

So the irony here is too much not to comment on.

I watched that video then opened facebook. A post from The Royal Mint (sponsored): 'Celebrate 25 years of the publication of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone with a coin featuring the Hogwart's Express!'
Oh boy I can't wait to consoom

t. 25 year old consoomer

Yeah it's kind of incredible slash disturbing how much her media is still all around considering how she is as a person. It's this sort of strange thing where I'm sure most people are not as rampantly transphobic as she is, yet as they turn a blind eye towards it it's hard to deny that they are still transphobic. Or simply do not know.
What kind of answers would you get if you asked the bookstore manager who chose to put her book out front in the Christmas season? Or that other, separate bookstore manager who did the same. Or the employees who went along with it. At some level everyone is doing their job, and at least here (Sweden) I'm sure many people - out of a culture of compulsory goodness - would claim to have no hatred in them. But then a whole group of people are made an affordable loss, consistently. It turns out there's a whole lot of transphobia out there, and it is in the hearts of people, at times subtle, yet festering.

Let's hope, or see to, that that will change. And I'm sorry if my insight was too obvious.
It's just too much of a cash cow for corpos to give a shit. You can see the cynical pivot to make "Harry Potter without Harry Potter" so they can continue to milk the Harry Potter fanbase without having to deal with any extant links with J.K. Rowling (besides paying her fat bags of money every six months)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: February 01, 2023, 06:35:45 pm »

To think how big the series could be if Rowling never got a Twitter account (half /s)
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 02, 2023, 04:22:20 am »

When it comes to artists, generally the less you know about them personally, the better.

My childhood was during the Michael Jackson era. Great performer, awesome music.  Less said about him personally, the better.

Do NOT do a deep dive on Jim Carey. You won't be happy.

Ultimately, it's best to separate the work from the people.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 02, 2023, 05:22:50 am »

The death of the author, Roland Barthes.

Determine textual meaning without relying on reference to its creator.

I haven't really kept up to date on Rowling's comments, but... I don't see any discrimination? Although, to quote the actor who played Hagrid:

“I don’t want to get involved in all of that because of all the hate mail and all that shit, which I don’t need at my time of life.”

Heh.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: February 02, 2023, 06:12:03 am »

So, looking up "Who played Hagrid?", I find there were two actors. Mind blown.
EDIT: Oh wait, the second one was a body double and younger depiction. Oh well

It IS scary how much influence Rowling has, and I tend to suspect it probably is being mobilized against the LGBTQ community.

Basically the 21st century Walt Disney.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 02, 2023, 08:28:38 am »

Tolkien was a big fan of the concept of the death of the author is the birth of the reader, which is good since if he was around today it'd probably be a total coinflip whether he became a raging transphobe or not.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: February 02, 2023, 08:52:54 am »

That would depend. If he were around today because of longevity? Possibly. His work revolved around preserving traditional, middle class (even religious, if read between the lines) values in the face of a disrupting war which sought its demise. This could be parsed as England's green pastures vs. German imperialism, but also traditional values vs changing social mores.

But if he were born into our era? He was outspoken in defense of Jews and racial minorities in his own time. I'd give good odds on him supporting the right to self-expression. Also keep in mind that he was first and foremost an academic who seemed to love Oxford University. Even were he inclined to be a 'raging transphobe,' good career-sense might direct him down a more moderate path.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #413 on: February 02, 2023, 04:44:50 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Transistor goals

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: February 02, 2023, 06:06:51 pm »

Shocking absolutely no one, Jordan Peterson wishes to have trans people eliminated.

Wonder how the fans are going to spin this into him not being a bigot.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 02, 2023, 07:00:50 pm »

Yep.  He's been promoting more covid conspiracy stuff too, particularly stuff from fucking Project Veritas.  Guy's completely lost it.

But also yeah Trump's calling for trans elimination.
Weirdly the way they're coming directly for trans culture, art and books, hurts especially.  Maybe *I* could go back to being a rambling alcoholic for another 2-5 years then disappear, who cares, but there's so much beauty in the community.  I guess that's the part they hate the most.

in conclusion, I hope I misunderstood the "we can't share fics here" thing.  because I feel like reading some
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: February 02, 2023, 07:17:58 pm »

I haven't really kept up to date on Rowling's comments, but... I don't see any discrimination?
She's been regularly spewing and boosting TERF shit over on twitter, and publicly palling around with virulent transphobes, just as an easy starting point.

Like, there's problems with her writing on the discrimination front, too, but so far as more recent stuff goes, it's been her public/social media comments that have been not exactly covering her in glory. I've been mostly avoiding exposure 'cause I don't need that shit in my life, but it hasn't been particularly subtle.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: February 03, 2023, 05:29:49 am »

Today on "Reason the UK's referred to as TERF island":

Seen a good chunk of people on a UK subreddit genuinely arguing that JKR isn't transphobic. She's actually inclusive of trans people, it's just that she's really combative about her views.

EDIT: And her tweet saying that being told to stop being a TERF is the same as demeaning Suffragettes has been defended. The logic being that no, she's not saying that, she's comparing misogyny to misogyny. Nothing to do with transphobia at all.

Y'know, never mind that being a TERF, in its current incarnation (Where it's basically saying you're a liberal transphobe rather than conservative) is neither exclusively directed at women nor does it exclusively come from misogynists.

Blugh, hate that my mere existence is enough of an issue for people to not only get upset at it, but defend people who get upset at it.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 07:04:02 am by Great Order »
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 03, 2023, 08:17:14 am »

I haven't really kept up to date on Rowling's comments, but... I don't see any discrimination?
She's been regularly spewing and boosting TERF shit over on twitter, and publicly palling around with virulent transphobes, just as an easy starting point.

Like, there's problems with her writing on the discrimination front, too, but so far as more recent stuff goes, it's been her public/social media comments that have been not exactly covering her in glory. I've been mostly avoiding exposure 'cause I don't need that shit in my life, but it hasn't been particularly subtle.

Take your word for it! I just read through her original essay (and boiled it down to help me parse it: see spoiler, keep in mind this is VERY boiled down)

The general gist seems to be 'stop calling me and my fellows radicals, I have valid concerns about the youth's health and women's rights, but respect and empathise with those who've transitioned. Stop intimidating me.'

Note: Not making a point, just decided to procrastinate on work by reading essays not relevant to my dissertation :'(
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 03, 2023, 09:57:38 am »

In my thoughts to a couple of the points she stresses:

1) "Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's" - For all things where chromasomal (presumably) sex is important, like the different actions of diseases or the far-above mention of trans-men looking to solve issues with their original female innards, this should be as much a medical consideration as with someone having dextrocardia and/or situs inversus in a scenario where this matters.

What's more, there will be unknowingly intersex individuals who developed (externally, at the very least) in one manner despite having the chromasomes (and possibly other biochemical elements) of the other who might benefit from 'trans-aware medicine' as and when anyone bothers to find out.

I see no difference between the socially and surgically transitioned, developmentally flipped or even chimeric individuals, they all deserve the right application of the right treatment for the right aspect of any condition as it applies to them. That's no reason to decry transitioning, as it would still leave a significant number of non-transitioned people susceptible to undue assumptions and a reduced ability to identify and cater for such edge cases.

2) "Opening female spaces to all men..." is an undeserved wedge argument. I wonder how many predatory females have totally unfettered access to other (vulnerable) females, and all without the need to overcome stigma, various hurdles that even advanced M2F transitioners have to overcome and definitely under the radar compared to any bad-faith individual who tries to exploit access loopholes. (Never mind men who just find ways to hang around such female spaces as men, like countless creepy types always used to have to do...)

What protects young girls from predatory 'pseudo-trans' individuals? Well, everything that protects them from all other threats, plus additional mitigations born out of prejudices that I don't see going away.

Meanwhile, the still small minority of trans-women are being asked to make 'their space' be in the men-only spaces, vulnerable to the copious male-on-male type predators and transphobic+homophobic male-on-female types who may consider this an opportunity to physically or even (within the bounds of their own twisted version of personal 'no homo' convictions) sexually abuse.

At the very least, the sufficiently passing trans-woman could be mistakenly assumed to be a woman with precocious thrills for going into male facilities, giving 'normal' men the impression of something quite different, then they suffer from retaliation from either being a 'cock-tease' or a 'sissy', depending upon how far the encounter goes. Possibly both, by the reduced degree of logic that ends up being employed by the increasibgly confused antagonist.

Which is why I (cis-male, no real experience at the sharper end of either transitionary or feminist issues but hopefully would be accepted as a considerate ally of both sides, if allowed to be) think that the hyper-reductionist feminism version is particularly bad. As would be a given form of trans-militancy, but we're really not so much in danger of so many people suffering from the latter, on balance. To sum up my (admitedly unqualified) standpoint.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 68