Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Updating MASTERWORK for 0.47  (Read 6556 times)

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
Updating MASTERWORK for 0.47
« on: October 10, 2022, 05:31:38 pm »

I'm doing a modular minimal update for parts of Masterwork, using only ASCII and CLA 18x18.
Obviously first I'll implement the features I like, but knowing what priorities the community prefers would be good.

Everybody interested please post your biggest 3 must-haves, then I'll put up a survey in a few days or at the end of the week.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
Re: Updating MASTERWORK for 0.47
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2022, 05:32:16 pm »

(placeholder)

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2022, 05:32:37 pm »

(placeholder)

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2022, 05:32:55 pm »

(placeholder)

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2022, 05:41:40 pm »

my personal "must haves" are:
1) Standardized materials
2) create leathers and parchments amounts related to animal size
3) Rebalanced  animal man and giant animal frequencies

The multiple playable races are not a priority for me.
But adding some of the buildings they have will be, so feel free asking for specific buildings or sets of reactions.
Graphics and tilesets are my last priority.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2022, 08:49:18 pm »

I didn't learn about Masterwork DF until it was out of date, but looking through the details about it, the Arctic Additions from Malecus look like a lot of fun and fairly simple to incorporate. 
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=145730.msg5810799#msg5810799

His Mad Medical Mod, as he pointed out, also seems to go well with the upcoming Halloween shenanigans.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=132736.msg4732353#msg4732353

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2022, 12:56:16 pm »

Any ETA when it will be ready?  Dwarf Fortress Steam version with graphics has been reported as arriving before Christmas.

my personal "must haves" are:   (not sure which are possible, but listing them anyways)
1) Enemy invasions attacking with siege type units, examples:
 Juggernaut (targets walls unless enemy nearby) OR Giant Ram Animal (targets gates) OR Saboteurs (using stealth seeks to remove buildings)
2) Provide some random armor and weapons for Giants, Titans and Demons.  They are naked way too often.
3) Add traveling thieves which using stealth will take items, armor and corpses from the battlefield (will help players keep the map clean).

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2022, 04:52:07 pm »

To be clear, I'm not talking about new features to add, just making old features work again, since there was so much.
Looking for "low hanging fruit" to implement, trying to get an idea of what everyone would like.

As for the graphics release, that probably won't impact this effort much, because Toady isn't changing game mechanics much, just the UI.

I'm surprised there are so few responses here.
Last time I was active with DF, Masterwork was huge.
(it's been some years)

Lioneez

• Bay Watcher
  • Challenged.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2022, 10:34:51 am »

You are doing Armoks work, also I wish I knew more about DF modding(I tried adding characters before but ended up creating none sense monstrosities when I tried making an arachnid with 6 hands but ended up making one with a spider lower body and I didnt figure out what happened with the hair till this day).

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2022, 03:40:00 am »

Just a technical overview of some of the things mentioned, just to level off my knowledge of things in and around the community to help give a bit of guidance.

Any ETA when it will be ready?  Dwarf Fortress Steam version with graphics has been reported as arriving before Christmas.

my personal "must haves" are:   (not sure which are possible, but listing them anyways)
1) Enemy invasions attacking with siege type units, examples:
 Juggernaut (targets walls unless enemy nearby) OR Giant Ram Animal (targets gates) OR Saboteurs (using stealth seeks to remove buildings)
2) Provide some random armor and weapons for Giants, Titans and Demons.  They are naked way too often.
3) Add traveling thieves which using stealth will take items, armor and corpses from the battlefield (will help players keep the map clean).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Most of the things asked would have to be developed individually into scripts, which aren't already availible.
my personal "must haves" are:
1) Standardized materials
2) create leathers and parchments amounts related to animal size
3) Rebalanced  animal man and giant animal frequencies

The multiple playable races are not a priority for me.
But adding some of the buildings they have will be, so feel free asking for specific buildings or sets of reactions.
Graphics and tilesets are my last priority.

Who would you say is your priority race?

Last time i dipped into the mod, Dwarves were the most overall complete package with the whole golem/mineral purification stint they had going on which was really a extension of the main DF gameplay. Smagglepagus since the last time they were on the forum is also solo-updating their Orc race also.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2022, 01:49:04 pm »

Quote from: zilpin
I'm surprised there are so few responses here.
Last time I was active with DF, Masterwork was huge.
(it's been some years)

I think lots of players have begun testing other games while waiting for the major update of Dwarf Fortress on Steam. 
The activity on the forums seems to be less active overall.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2022, 02:51:34 pm »

Last time i dipped into the mod, Dwarves were the most overall complete package with the whole golem/mineral purification stint they had going on which was really a extension of the main DF gameplay. Smagglepagus since the last time they were on the forum is also solo-updating their Orc race also.

Hey folks.  Yes but i'll be updating at first relatively stripped down version with Steam compatability (i.e. no DFHack), and taking it relatively slow until i learn how new graphics work.

There are fundamental things about Masterwork (materials and weapon stats, for example) that were balanced pretty differently than vanilla, so if your priorities are fundamental stuff like standardized materials and butchering size like that you might want to start from something like Modest Mod as a base instead.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=174231.0

DG123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2022, 07:45:55 pm »

Golem crafting, animal armouring and rune smithing for me...

Also, not a Masterwork feature but for the love of god can someone please un-screw up the bugs with uniforms and ammunition?

Seems to still be a problem in the Steam version.

I want to be able to make a miner wear armour for a safer working environment, without it conflicting with an invisible uniform that lacks armour.

Marksdwarves still have major problems with picking up ammunition apparently.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Updating MASTERWORK for 50.12?
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2024, 06:46:45 am »

Hi from two years in the future, progressing during the coinciding 'big wait' for adventuremode and Masterwork mutually to reach steam with minor adjustments (like either stripping bare/re-wiring race mechanics that use DFhack to function with the latest versions).

Also, not a Masterwork feature but for the love of god can someone please un-screw up the bugs with uniforms and ammunition? Seems to still be a problem in the Steam version.

I want to be able to make a miner wear armour for a safer working environment, without it conflicting with an invisible uniform that lacks armour.

Marksdwarves still have major problems with picking up ammunition apparently.

These issues are still ongoing, and a couple of ranged weapon mods have been hit particularly hard by it. Any word on the development of the modules for people who play the free ASCII only version on 50.12?