Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28

Author Topic: The World Of Bones - Succession World - Ended  (Read 28953 times)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The World Of Bones - Succession World
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2022, 07:52:55 pm »

awesome! A well-crafted craftsdwarf guild indeed.

So, I was thinking about how I might improve the world, and had a few questions for you:

1. So I can play a fortress pretty much as long as it lives, right? up to the two-week IRL timelimit
2. Could I potentially create multiple fortresses, assuming they are all upon a theme? Like, a series of outposts defining the border between civilizations?
3. Are we supposed to be selecting the same civ during embark? or merely playing along the theme of "Dark Sun"?

1. Yes.  As long as it is within the two weeks.  Then you release it into the wild....or earlier if you finished it.
2. Sure.  But remember when you retire them it is likely most of the Dwarfs will just leave and end up in your next border post.  My Bridge/Tavern will likely be empty or invaded within a few weeks.
3.  You can pick any civ that fits the theme.  Think of us a Templars.  We answer to a high power - we're here to SAVE the world.  And as for the theme of Dark Suns this world is harsh enough without needing to role play it.  Bwahahahaha!

So, this is the game with the save - https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16132

And this is just the save file if you already edited the game like mine - https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16131
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2022, 08:11:20 pm »

yesss ok my turn shall be played and reported on in the coming days.

on the topic of the modded files, I am pretty sure there is no need for me to modify anything, since your only modifications are raw changes they are carried with the save / world file. I will test this though

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2022, 08:19:44 pm »

yesss ok my turn shall be played and reported on in the coming days.

on the topic of the modded files, I am pretty sure there is no need for me to modify anything, since your only modifications are raw changes they are carried with the save / world file. I will test this though

Cool.  Look forward to see your plans unfold.   :)

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2022, 08:50:12 pm »

Think of us a Templars.  We answer to a high power - we're here to SAVE the world.  And as for the theme of Dark Suns this world is harsh enough without needing to role play it.

With Templars, do you mean Dark Sun templars or more like real world historical templars?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2022, 09:03:18 pm »

Think of us a Templars.  We answer to a high power - we're here to SAVE the world.  And as for the theme of Dark Suns this world is harsh enough without needing to role play it.

With Templars, do you mean Dark Sun templars or more like real world historical templars?

The historical Templars who were backstabbed by the French King and gave us the reason why Friday the 13th is bad luck.  Just check out the Hook.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2022, 05:08:25 pm »

I shall be playing and posting the next few days, just getting around to this now (busy week).  took a good long look at legends, and my GOD this world is cool. So I think my first post will be a short walkthrough of the history of one of the dwarven civilizations, currently led by a Goblin king after the dwarven baron turned coat and facilitated a coup in the year 500. It was a conspiracy years in the making. Now he has ruled for 500 years.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 11:22:19 pm by Salmeuk »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2022, 11:20:09 pm »

The World of Bones is a dry and inhospitable plane of existence. The majority of the population, goblins, remain indifferent to the whole experience, since they are goblins. The remaining sentient creatures find themselves hiding in various mountain caves and underdwellings, preferring to go unnoticed by those hordes of immortal flatlanders, and far removed from the deathly heat of the wastelands.

One particularly far-flung collective of dwarves known as The Floor of Perplexing possesses a unmentionable history, as one of many secret agents are rumored to operate might overhear and decide to off you. Yet here I will record some of that history.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Goblin King Olngo, bless his 500 year reign and may he rule 500 more, is no natural king of dwarves. He is the result of a dramatic overturning of the old way, in favor of a new form of power, that of broken alliances and political power grabs. His successful corruption of multiple liutenants of old queen Thob, and effortless coup the following season, has resulted in an essentially unchallenged reign for five centuries.

Olngo has left his mark on The Floor of Perplexing in the form of many sons and daughters. All have died, excluding one Utes Deadfultrussed, a ranger living far west who occupies her time writing poetry, blissfully unaware of her apparent lineage.

Enough of these dwarves. Let us dissect the form of this world. Remarkably, there is only one desert, "The Desert of Equalling". This wasteland takes many forms, from yellow sand dunes to beds of cracked, red clay, to empty rock fields,and is truly a world-spanning biome.

(large image, open in new tab to resize)

Surrounding this desert are tall mountain ranges, while brackish lakes and seas might be found in the lowlands.

==================================================================

One of these bodies of water is the subject of much fascination by a certain Rith Furnacecobra, fish dissector and fervent anatomist, collector of animals and plants alike. Rith had heard from a traveling beasthunter about a large ocean, far to the west of this mountain range, accessible if you follow the river known as The Spidery Waste. This hunter had seen a large swimming creature, unknown to him, but surely something awful and deadly. He regretted not taking the small raft and attempting to harpoon the beast.

This story infected Rith. Unknown species? Check. Exemplary in size? Check. Vague, unclear directions with no promise of actual discovery? That's why they pay me!

Armed with a bag full of sharp things, Rith began the western trek jubilant, if wary. These hills were known for ferocious wild dogs.

Rith traveled close to the river, passing volcanoes and the rare forests of The Hill of Knives.

Soon, this last breath of life was also left behind, and the lonely traveling dwarf was faced with the 10000 strong fortress of Ghoulfocus.

Yeah, that's gonna be a no. Rith took the road less traveled and skipped on past that nonsense. She was looking for fish, not a fight. And maybe some food.

It was another three days before that hunger really got to her. The local vegetation was inedible.

She tracked down a small gang of kangaroos, and attempted to fling her spears, with no luck.

In fact the whole exercise was so exhausting she passed out,

waking half a day later to blue skies and empty horizons, no kangaroos in sight. Now desperate, she saw a small pair of rabbits on the far bank of the low stream, and dove into the water, only to find herself leaden from exhaustion, trapped in the mud, struggling. Rith drowned in the muck, alone. The two rabbits had nothing to say about this whole occurrence.

Rith's body decomposed quickly in the warm water of the stream, and soon rose from the depths, bloated and green, and began to lazily drift along.

Her body floated past the dark fortress Menaceempires, full of outcasts from other, more successful goblin civilizations.

The goblins thought it odd to see a dwarf, dead and alone, so far from home. But none wasted the energy to fish out the corpse and loot the gear, and so the body continued down The Spidery Waste. Eventually reaching the confluence with The Even Fog, the other major river that flowed from the steep slopes of The Skewered Mountain. Here, the flow was greater, and in only two more days the corpse reached the salty shores of The Seas of Voicing, the fabled sea as described by the beasthunter. Rith had finally made it.

It was here that the large water beast revealed itself. Or at least, part of itself, as the hulking form partially emerged from the water, crocodile skin slick with eldritch mucus, large yellow eye peering down at the body of Rith. Then accepting the sacrifice, drawing the corpse underneath the frothing waves. Yes, this was the first of many more to come. The compelling of many more individuals would soon occur, as those receptive to the broadcasting of these dreamwaves, compelling them to follow the water-voices (whatever forms they may take), to draw in their bodies and matter to this great sea, and consume and grow, and continue forever, until all was Theirs. Yes.

The god of the sea returned to the depths. And so, it should be known to all who read, beware these dreamcalls of The Seas of Voicing. They are not what you think.

===========

teaser of the fortress location. . . the eastern shores of The Seas of Voicing, in fact. An expedition from the mountainhome, by Olngo's direct orders.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 11:35:53 pm by Salmeuk »

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2022, 01:50:35 am »

Forests?  Oh yeah, I guess there are a few.  I never seemed to find them.  Trees, sometimes, near the lakes or rivers, but not any normal, living, green forests.  They must be very rare. 

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2022, 07:36:49 am »

Nice bit of lore there!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2022, 09:07:36 am »

honestly, there are SO many cool embark locations in this world. So many volcanoes to choose from, and plenty of lakes (which are great places to find dramatic z-level changes). Whatever generation settings you used have generated something amazing.

==========
Olngo's Seaside Villa: Go!

Olngo's messenger got straight to the point: an expedition would be sent west, to discover and colonize the inland sea. Priority was to establish a resupply point and garrison for future expeditions. Secondarily, blueprints for a luxurious vacation home were given to the leader, to be constructed within five years of arrival.

The  journey to The Seas of Voicing involved a series of close calls. The expedition was forced to pass by the various goblin settlements found alongside The Even Fog. They would wait until complete darkness, lay flat in their boats and drift past in complete silence, praying the goblins were busy with other things besides watching the river.

Otherwise, the journey was slow and monotonous, and by the end of the trek the party was left with few supplies. A barrel of meat and enough rum to last a day, as well as a few scrawny dogs, and various basic tools.

A site was chosen, where the red sand met the yellow, and foundations were set for an elongate stone wall, slightly curved inward to provide embrasure fire (as is standard practice in this empire). However, the first staircase sunk to quarry stone found only a weak conglomerate saturated with a brackish aquifer. Unsuitable for foundationwork, and the constant seeping water left a slick mud which soon covered every surface of the inner tunnels.

Overall, the aquifer proved 7 z levels deep, taking a full season to finish sealing the dripping liquid behind bricked walls. Alluvial gold was discovered in the conglomerate.

Now, the fun began, and walls quickly sprung from the desert sand, extending all the way to the surf. There, a dock was planned, and a place for visiting traders, if any were insane enough to venture this far.

The yellow sand proved fertile, with some encouragement. Prickle berries, strawberries, and potatoes were planted. Meanwhile, the local wildlife turned out to be dirty flying thieves:

The dwarves complained, "Why not make the wheelbarrows out of cactus, and the beds out of highwood?" These complaints were ignored.

A month later, our miners struck hematite, embedded in tall marble columns deep within the caverns.

Not even our mountainhome had easy access to iron, rare as it was in this world.

After one year of work, things were coming together.

And, sadly, it was confirmed: the Sea of Voices has no fish. At least, no fish that bite. The fisherdwarves spent the last three months trying for something, anything, but no luck. Very odd how this large an ocean might be completely dead. Very odd indeed.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 07:47:17 pm by Salmeuk »

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2022, 05:15:45 pm »

A Dead Sea?   Oh wow.  I knew some of the lakes had no life along their shores but I didn't think some of them were just...dead.   ???

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2022, 05:36:34 pm »

Hematite in caverns and marble? I thought it only occurs in sedimentary and igneous extrusive layers. :o

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2022, 06:50:05 pm »

Hematite in caverns and marble? I thought it only occurs in sedimentary and igneous extrusive layers. :o

the veins originate in the layer of alunite (which happens to be the Seas of Voicing biome) and wind their way into the nearby marble.

========

Two more years have passed, without much to say. Almost 50 dwarves now.

As we approach the end of year 3 at Riverend, I recall Olngo demanded a seaside villa by year five. . what to do, what to do?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2022, 09:34:48 pm »

That's a lot of progress.  And cool events.  But the most important question....if the animals drowned or lost their stuff....is it yours for free now?  And what about the melted llama cheese?!?!  Also...are the traders going to blame you?!?!

« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 04:52:34 pm by callisto8413 »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2022, 03:54:48 am »

Damn the fort must be in one hot area for that much water to dry up that fast.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28