Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 28

Author Topic: The World Of Bones - Succession World - Ended  (Read 28955 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The World Of Bones - Succession World - Cleaners Wanted!
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2022, 03:57:40 am »

Legendary yak thief and scholar.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2022, 07:29:45 pm »

Well, while waiting for the DFFD to come back to undead life I peeked at the Legends and noticed a few things. 

At the Bridge of Awe-Inspiring we have received a few visitors.  But many of the animals have died of old age.  I guess nobody likes roast ham at the Bridge.

While at Riverend it seems a bunch of camels have settled in.  Not sure what that means...are they citizens now?

The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2022, 09:35:29 pm »

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2022, 09:55:01 pm »

Yay! Waiting to see where this goes next!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2022, 01:23:30 am »

I think I will have another go in the World of Bones. But first, some research!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2022, 06:31:19 pm »

These hills are full of gemstones. It is our job to extract them, efficiently, with as little loss of dwarven life as possible. So says the Queen.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here is Avuz Berim, The Mines of Artifice, founded in spring 1059 by Iton Hatchetdeaths. All is well on these tall white cliffs overlooking the lake 40 stories below. These seven are unafraid of the precipitous drop, having spent the last two months sneaking through goblin territory and facing much more immediate threats. Now, they finally arrived at the prospected site designated so many years ago by the famed Royal Geological Society as "the richest Zircon field this side of the planet!"

Iton's task was simple: accumulate as many gems as possible. Specifically, clear, red, and green zircons, valuable and beautiful. The stone here was chock full of these nodes, in fact, the dwarves immediately discovered a large vein in the first excavation:

Promising, for sure. All dwarves were ordered to help with the mining. Except Iton, of course...

From the top of the cliffs a 40-z level staircase was dug to the waterlevel, allowing for lakeside fishing and water collection. Deeper excavations revealed the usual suspects: three caverns and a deep magma lake. All were breached and immediately sealed without incident.

Another character of note, Ushrir, represented the military side of organization, and shared control over the expedition's fate, though Ushrir liked not to disagree with Iton and generally let the Director of Trade have his way. However Ushrir would almost certainly overpower any of the others - such was the power of their physique.

With Ushrir came two trained guardsman, ready to defend any retrieved riches from those damn goblins, who may have already sniffed our trail to these western mountains. Our fighters lost all weapons when our wagon dumped it's contents in a particularly disastrous river crossing. New gear will need to be acquired before this squad can be of any use.

Simple, effective food production was contrived:

Yes, fungus is amongus. The entrance was walled:

And so, in that crisp mountain air, the dwarves dreamt of jeweled towers and vaults of unimaginable wealth.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 06:33:33 pm by Salmeuk »

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2022, 08:56:19 pm »

Woah, that's a really nice cliff the dwarves have there! Nice!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2022, 12:40:33 am »

sketching out 36 bedrooms:

Above, diagonally flowing temples lead into the main gem cutting theatre.

To the west of this, a circular vault was cleared, and the first gems were stored.

Finally, excavation began, in the form of regular thin shafts sunk north-south across each layer below the lake and aquifer.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2022, 10:00:00 am »

Nice to have all those miners.  Maybe next time I play Fortress I will bring more mining picks.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2022, 07:14:38 pm »

"Finally!" thought Iton the Director of Trade and Master Lapidarist and Gemcutter. "The usual crowd of migrants are brutish and disposed to fighting, drinking, and gambling. But these two - they have potential."

"And who is this? She speaks with an eloquent confidence that reassures all listeners. Great! Perfect to field the various annoying diplomats that waste my time every season."

===

Mebzuth created . .

this.

I can't wait to break a leg!

===

the surface tower foundations were cut deeper, exposing bare stone, which will be smoothed. a cheap way to make the whole thing taller and more defensible.

Regular kobold intrusions are a common thing in these mountains. We must have settled near one of their grungy home-caves.

===

The zircons are sorted by color while all other gems are thrown in a different pile. The largest specimens are filtered out and placed on pedestals. Over 100 worthy zircons have already been collected, and some of them are absolutely gigantic. The queen will be ecstatic.

===

Iton, the leader of The Mines of Artifice, became entranced by one particular raw gem. the shape, the size... if he was to slice thin the material and spread it across an iron frame. . .  if he could only find a translucent glue for the binder. . . what about . . .

The window was installed in Iton's meeting room and record keeping office, immediately bringing the status to Royal. A true capital-A Artifact! It even references a legendary golden crossbow created by one of the smiths at the dwarven outpost of Riverend, which is said to be the Queens #1 vacation destination! Nice!

Two and a half years have passed. Work continues, uninterrupted.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 07:17:45 pm by Salmeuk »

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 26, 2022, 07:19:30 pm »

You know I've always heard if kobolds successfully steal enough from you they will eventually launch armed raids.
I wonder if that's true?
Can we catch them and put them on display? I love the little guys!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 26, 2022, 08:38:16 pm »

only if you let me dwarf you as "Maloy, Kobold Catcher"  :D  :D

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2022, 05:57:03 am »

only if you let me dwarf you as "Maloy, Kobold Catcher"  :D  :D
Deal!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The World Of Bones - Succession World - Players Wanted!
« Reply #88 on: November 30, 2022, 02:11:27 am »

Maloy the Kobold Catcher

It was Mid-Summer of 1061 when the dwarf known as Maloy appeared, asking to speak with the leader of The Mines of Artifice. They claimed to have great skill in trapping and thief-catching, honed for years against the goblin snatcher gangs that regularly harassed the southern colonies, and wished to apply similar techniques against the local population of kobolds.

For is was in these deserted western mountains that the kobolds of this land sought refuge from the great heat waves that plagued the low valleys. Above this lake, air spirits directed great gusts of chill air from the peaktop glaciers, which rolled downhill in billowing gales, cooling all those below.

So Maloy met with Iton, Director of Trade, and Ushrir, the Captain of the mercenary squads. Logem accompanied Iton as apprentice negotiator.

"So you claim interest in settling here. But why?" inquired Iton.

Maloy grunted. "Kobolds. I heard from a wagon train you had problems. I have solutions."

Ushrir spoke over the other two. "Well . . they have yet to make it inside the keep. . the problem has yet to escalate like you seem to think."

Maloy: "Yes. I would build outside the fortress, a small encampment, maybe with some of your laborers to assist. We would bait and trap the encampment, and wait. See what comes out way."

Iton pulled Ushrir aside. "He fits the bill, but do you think this is worth our time? And what if the Queen somehow finds out we're using funds to supply some paranoid trappers crazy dreams?"

Ushrir shrugged. "It's your call, boss. I think Maloy's not going to hurt anyone."

So Iton returned to the trapper, and shook hands in agreement. They settled on a small outcropping north of the keep, and here Maloy would found a small trapper's hut.

Before leaving, Maloy raised a further point. "I am gonna need something worth coin to bring in the greyskin thiefs. Can you spare me a gem or three?"

Iton locked eyes with Logem, the apprentice. A bit suspicious indeed to be asking for raw wealth so early in the task. . but it would be awkward to refuse considering Maloy had just strolled through a genuine vault full of precious gemstones. So three large gemstones were given to Maloy in a bag to act as ultimate temptation for the local kobolds.

As soon as the hut was complete, goblins appeared, near the eastern lake cliffs. Maloy rushed to the keep and all were thankful for the early scouting.

The goblins had sent a small force only, six crossbow goblins. The 19 guardsman were sent forth to earn their pay, led by Ushrir, wielding silver hammers (as silver was the only metal available on this map, excluding the demon metal).

But those silver bolts flew true and five dwarves lay dead after the fight. Twice as many were wounded, some with horrible internal injuries from the barbed bolts.

Atir nearly dodged off the cliff and into the lake, but survived by catching hold of a thin ledge judge below the precipice.

===

Later, in Autumn, the trading caravan was disturbed by a giant wombat. No wood or metal this year, further stalling the progress of the mines and our military.

I'll say it again: there is no metal but silver. We have magma but only the single forge. And a handful of picks, well, we could use twice as many at the moment.

Rovod had one of those possessions:

A brilliant artifact! A true sphere, spiked with bone opal. Now we can kill our enemies with gemstones.

Then, horror . . . not the grey thieves, but the green ones.

Two got away but the third was captured. Maloy brought this bird as proof of success, and with a request for more "bait." Iton granted this, but only allowed for a few small handfuls of semi-precious stones this time. No more large gems would be risked during this operation.

The trapper's hut was expanded. It doesn't look like much if you don't know to recognize the trap-covers that hide the spring mechanisms, but Maloy's house now bristles with mechanized cage traps. 

It is 1061, Autumn. Work continues.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 02:14:05 am by Salmeuk »

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The World Of Bones - Succession World - Players Wanted!
« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2022, 09:11:16 am »

The kea menace has arrived apparently. Foul demons.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 28