Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28

Author Topic: The World Of Bones - Succession World - Ended  (Read 30082 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The World Of Bones - Succession World - Players Wanted!
« Reply #105 on: December 08, 2022, 03:59:20 am »

I guess it was inevitable that someone would melt to death given the world we're in.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 08, 2022, 01:08:33 pm »

The World Of Bones - Succession World -  Heading Out

Orbsdimple, nicknamed ‘Whick’ was the Expedition Leader.  It was seventy-nine years old and had shaven its sideburns and head clean.  Leaving its long beard and medium-length moustache untouched.

It blinked as the wagon came to a stop and dropped down onto the red sand.  At least the sand wasn't as hot as much region of the world.

There were no trees in sight and very few plants could be seen.  While not as hot as many parts of the world there wasn't a lot of rain either. 

To the south was a river.  Named, at least on the map, the Polish of Bristling.  There seemed to be some otters there.

There was also said to be a volcano called the Cinders of Covering far to the south but nobody cared.  It would not be within the borders of the new settlement.

To the west was some hills.  Maybe the place to start digging?

“I declare this land to belong to the NEW government of the Trade of Ages by the authority of the Coal of Prestige.  And call the new settlement Channelwhisper,” it announced. 

“Start digging there,” it added and pointed towards the hills.  “We want the livestock underground as soon as possible.  And a farm plot.”

The three dwarfs, nicknamed Blick, Flick, and Glick, were already picking up their equipment.  They knew their duty.  As Miners they would have to quickly make chambers and tunnels to sleep, work, eat, and play.

Snick, the Woodworker, was also grabbing its axe.  Not that it could see any wood to gather.  Maybe it should start training to be a warrior?

Plick the Farmer and Quee the Diagnoser just looked over the landscape and seemed bored.

Whick glanced around as its fellow settlers.  At least nobody was melting.  Yet.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 09:44:17 pm by callisto8413 »
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Donnerino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 08, 2022, 02:36:20 pm »

I would consider myself a novice at Dwarf Fortress, but Fun is Fun, so I'd like to give myself a shot at this if anyone doesn't mind.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 08, 2022, 02:46:03 pm »

I would consider myself a novice at Dwarf Fortress, but Fun is Fun, so I'd like to give myself a shot at this if anyone doesn't mind.

I'll add you to the list on the first page!  Welcome to Hell.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 02:49:00 pm by callisto8413 »

Donnerino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 08, 2022, 02:55:44 pm »

I'll add you to the list on the first page!  Welcome to Hell.
I can't wait!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 09, 2022, 03:40:27 am »

fresh meat for the hell-pit, wonderful. will you adventure or build?

Donnerino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 09, 2022, 04:21:41 am »

fresh meat for the hell-pit, wonderful. will you adventure or build?
Thinking of building a fortress.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 10, 2022, 12:07:41 am »

The World Of Bones - Succession World -  One Year Later

The wagon was pulled apart to make beds.  Well, make six beds. 

As the diggers dug out tunnels and chambers the chickens and pigs were brought underground while the draft animals were left on the surface.

As single bedrooms were dug out, storage was created, workshops were built, the Leader tried hunting down some wild yaks on the surface.  And failed.

With winter came rain.  Not that anybody noticed.  Outside of a few items still on the surface and the unfinished Trade Depot there were few reasons to go to the surface.  Well, once they did take in the two-humped camel inside, who had been one of the draft animals, to the Butcher’s Shop.  It was soon on the menu.

The horse was also on the list of animals to be butchered but somehow hiding in the tavern meant nobody was noticing it.   

By early winter the Trade Depot was finished and somebody had found a seventh bed.  As Quee was the Manager, Broker, and Bookkeeper, he was given a large bedroom with a bag, a cabinet, a bed, a table and chair.   So his bedroom was also a office and private dining room.

The populace, by mid winter, were doing fine.  They all had bedrooms, booze and food, and lots of work to keep them occupied.  Also somebody finally noticed the horse and took it to the Butcher’s Shop.  Poor thing had been starving anybody.  Though it was noticed that the hills DID have some plants and grass on it.  Future livestock that needed to live on the surface would likely do better on the hills.

The meals had gone from simple meals that were easy to make to fine meals.  It filled the stomach and satisfied the soul.  Meat helped.

Sadly, by the end of the year there were no migrants.  Which made sense.  The Trade Depot had not been finished on time to welcome any traders.  No traders no exports.  No exports no reports of wealth and the shareholders back home didn’t receive a profit.  No profits or promise of wealth and no reason to for migrants to come to the settlement.

To be honest....nobody cared.  They liked being only seven.

Around this time the eggs that had been left along had hatched.  Eleven chicks had hatched in fact.  So at least the settlement would not run out of eggs and meat.

They also had a temple by then with a altar and a bag.  A few people, when not too busy, went to worship and ponder the meaning of life.

Then spring arrived.

=============================================================

Arthur’s Note :

The Tavern is named The Saffron of Armories, the Temple is for no particular deity and is named the Ball of Sinews.  And the Library is called the Bastion of Gems.

The four statues are of Grognak, Rith Furnacecobra, Callisto, and iton Hatchetdeaths.  I like to make statues of past characters and place them in fortresses.

Donnerino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 10, 2022, 02:44:07 pm »

I like the addition of the statues at the entrance of famous people. Hard work leads to sustenance, but it's always nice to try and aspire to something greater from humble beginnings, even in such a horrible place as this.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 11, 2022, 09:43:17 pm »

The World Of Bones - Succession World -  The Grand Plan Fails

With a year under their belts the dwarfs were feeling good about their chances of fulfilling their Grand Plan.  Which was to make a settlement that would welcome all creatures, all races, all people. 

If they could only attract them.

Also, to do so, they needed bedrooms.  And therefore they needed wood.  Lots of woods.  Which meant they needed trade.  Lots of trade.

Luckily they had found some gems which they could trade with…well, just about everybody.

Not a LOT of gems.  But they would likely be useful when it came to trading.

The dwarfs were so busy that at one point Whick was found sleeping in of the hallways.  The Expedition Leader had become so tired it had just went to sleep on the red floor.

A Barracks was dug out, with a archery range, for it was believed that the dwarfs would need to be organized into tiny squads.  Three two-dwarf squads.  The Leader was Commander but not part of a squad.  This meant only three dwarfs were in training at any one time - one dwarf from each squad per month.  But as it was the same six  training, over again and over again, they SHOULD develop some skills by the end of the second year.  This left four dwarfs per month to work.

It would slow down things but the dwarfs would, hopeful, become good at combat.

When early spring came some of the dwarfs decided to try their beards at fishing.  As their beards were covered in food crumbs and spilled drink it was very attractive to hungry fish.  So all they had to do was dip the beards into the waters.  At least those who had proper beards.  A fishery was made and a leather workshop also.  Armor would have to be made sooner or latter.  So why not leather armor?

A pen was made for the pigs.  The single pen was becoming crowded.  Also the chickens were escaping some how from their pen.  Somebody must have been opening the door too many times.

------------------------------------------------------

Arthur’s Note :

Then things went downhill from there as the save file was somehow not working.

It seemed to be an error someplace on the disk.  So it might NOT be the save file.  OR it might be.   ::)

So I am skipping the rest of my turn and passing on the crown to Donnerino.  Mostly because I have also spent three days trying to get it to work and don't wish to hold things up.

So Donnerino you have two choices.  ONE, you can take the save I have, retire my Fortress and start your own.  This way my seven dwarfs, named after the seven dwarfs from Snow White the Broadway version as in the book the dwarfs were never named, can continue on their own.  And at least the statues survive!   :-\

Here it is - https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16211

Warning, the save file is getting big.

OR you go to the version last used by Salmeuk and my last turn is erased from the history of the World of Bones.  Which, if it is the save file I have that is the issue, that may be for the best.  I feel sorry for Bob but when you mod a game and pass the save file around stuff happens.

Oh, and save every once and a while and copy the files.  It may help.  I really should do that more.  Or have the autosave set for seasonal.

PS - With Christmas coming I assume things will slow down.  So if it takes more than two weeks for your turn I am sure nobody will mind.  Family comes first.  And gifts.  And eggnog.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 09:46:34 pm by callisto8413 »

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 11, 2022, 09:55:52 pm »

Oh man, save corruption is the worst. :(

(After having that happen a couple times, I've made it a habit to make plenty of backups. At least in long-running forts/games.)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 12, 2022, 03:47:11 am »

Ah, damn. hopefully my strange obsessive fortresses are not to blame. once I return to a more stable computer I will see if/when the save file corrupts on my end.

we must simply move forward, if the corruption proves thorough. Perhaps a "World of Ash" ? generated with similar features. the fact the whole world is covered in a single desert remains amazing to me.

Donnerino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 12, 2022, 05:30:52 am »

No worries, I'll be sure to try and make sure your fortress remains in the world. I'll get started now!

Edit: Unfortunately, it does appear that the Save File is corrupted. Thaaaat sucks. Wish my turn started on a better note.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 05:50:51 am by Donnerino »

Donnerino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 12, 2022, 08:08:49 am »

The Beginning of Bakeddoom the Everlasting

"Who came up with this ridiculous name?"
"The Farmer did, while we were all drunk in the cart."

With the heat of the sun still baking us, even into the late stages of what would become winter, we finally arrived at our destination. Bakeddoom, as our farmer named it. Tomus, Fist of the Clouds, please assist us with this undertaking, as within my sight are literally only three trees to use to build this fort which will be required to provide food and sustenance to the many of our kind. I suppose I should be thankful, the rest of the lands we passed through were as barren as they will ever be. Nevertheless, this is where we were told to set up shop to create produce to send back home. I'm told our effort will be vital to making sure the food surplus stays a surplus. And from what I see... I'm not sure where they got that idea from the directions they gave us.

Either we went the wrong direction or got the wrong directions. I suppose we'll see when our liaison catches up with us in a year, and regardless, we lack the supplies to go any further. "Bakeddoom" will have to become our home.

And what a home it is...

While unloading and taking apart the cart, we started to get ideas for what to call ourselves. While bickering about what that would be, the Farmer, in all his wisdom, excitedly said we should call ourselves "The Virginal Clasps of Wheat". We were all too tired and sweaty to argue with him, and it was the best idea out of all of us, he even already had a picture drawn up of our symbol. 5 bushels of cave wheat in front of a rose cut gem. If I didn't know any better, I'd say he already had all of this planned out and he was waiting for the opportunity to get out of that stuffy mountain home of his.

With the name settled, we set out to do our tasks. Firstly, carve out a home, get the brew going, and make some place to sleep. I've had my back destroyed by the ride here and I refuse to sleep on the ground after finally arriving at our new home, not to mention build a bridge to get to those trees across the river... And as I've just been informed as I write this entry, everyone has nominated me as the expedition leader just now after realizing I'm writing down our plans, or rather, had any plans at all.

Great...

1064-08-04

We've begun digging the grand staircase, and, what do you know, we've already struck gold! This isn't why we were here but... better to have it than to not right? Once we get the appropriate equipment up and running, it will do nicely to kick-start our operations here to produce food to buy seeds and other equipment. Speaking of trading, our crew also finished the trade depot and the bridge across the river, I'm almost optimistic.

We then proceeded to pick ourselves through three more damned caverns, why here of all places anyway? I suppose if worse comes to worse we just flood the damn place from the ocean and dig another staircase in a better direction, but knowing our luck so far, we'd just find another cavern there as well. I do feel an odd warmth here, and I think I and my two other fellow miners have seen obsidian shards, and that means magma... It might be worthwhile to fortify ourselves in the caverns after all.

So long as we can keep punching these bastard Giant Olms to death, anyway.

1064-12-15

Our first farm has been put into the soil of our cavernous home now, and our still set up next to it, for a while we're going to be eating nothing but delicious plump helmets. And my suspicions about magma being present here were proven correct when one of our own strayed a bit far more and away than I would've otherwise liked and saw an eery burning glow. I took a look for myself, and, yeah, that's magma. I think I have an idea of how we can utilize this. Though I'm not confident it won't burn us all to crisps.

Additionally, we've constructed a massive wall on the east side of our outpost in the cavern with fortifications, this should keep out most of the beasties there should they arrive, or at least those Giant Olms. Our first actual workshops are being put down as well at a good speed while I and the other guys start to mine out storage space and our bedrooms. Much to my chagrin, we've had to sleep on the cavern soil more than a few times, but we also weren't expecting... well, this much space down here.

I'm pretty proud of the wall though, not bad... not bad at all, as hodgepodge as it is. And just like that...

1065-01-01

It's the new year. I'll be closing my journal, for now, the other dwarves are giving me looks for having it open so much instead of working on the wall or mining out their bedrooms. Despite getting so little done that I've wanted us to get done, we've at least put a stake in the ground where we can survive until we can get our roots in to make this place an actual fortress, or at least a farming village of some kind. I don't expect many migrants, not this far southeast into the Bones, maybe they'll like the rare view of the sea.

Upon being told that this land is named "The Lake of Razors"... I don't think we'll be expecting any company any time soon. The Baron certainly left that out when he told us to come this direction.

Our next steps will be setting up the bedrooms first as I promised to the guys, then getting the workshops all sorted and divided secondly, as well as a proper stockpile area to put all our things and get our stuff off the surface thirdly. After that, it will just be a matter of trying to make a structure for this place that isn't a mess thanks to the caves. From our sub-surface outpost, we could mine tunnels branching out for all the infrastructure we'll need. To the north the dining room, south the stockpiles and apartments, and to the east below the wall anything else that comes up, maybe a temple to Tomus...

Well, that's enough of my babbling. Back to work.

OOC

Gotta say I am not pleased with the caverns. Really shook up my plans for this place, but I'm willing to take the challenge and work with it. The caves do play well with my plans to turn Bakeddoom into a sort of agricultural hub to make enough food to help feed many of the other civilizations present in this barren hell hole. I won't have to mess with the water to try and muddy the floor. And I do have an idea for that Magma, but that's gonna be a project that is *way* down the line for this place with such a stunted start.

I do have an idea to try and take a page from the human playbook to try and build houses in the open space in the caverns, as opposed to carving them out. But until I start making blocks, that's not really resource-efficient. Either way, I plan to persevere, my main priority definitely getting orderly stockpiles up. Once that's done, and I've got the bedrooms finished, I think I can consider myself "Stable". I definitely won't be expanding the outpost into an underground cavern city until I've got a military to kill all this annoying wildlife.

I won't forget about the surface though, I've got plans there as well.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 08:12:59 am by Donnerino »

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 12, 2022, 09:39:34 am »

Cool.  Bakeddoom sounds like fun.  And dont worry about it...this means I can just try Bob again!   He will be reborn!  Or...born once...whatever.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28