Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28

Author Topic: The World Of Bones - Succession World - Ended  (Read 30089 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The World Of Bones - Succession World - Players Wanted!
« Reply #120 on: December 12, 2022, 01:09:35 pm »

I do have an idea to try and take a page from the human playbook to try and build houses in the open space in the caverns, as opposed to carving them out. But until I start making blocks, that's not really resource-efficient. Either way, I plan to persevere, my main priority definitely getting orderly stockpiles up. Once that's done, and I've got the bedrooms finished, I think I can consider myself "Stable". I definitely won't be expanding the outpost into an underground cavern city until I've got a military to kill all this annoying wildlife.

I approve of these plans. Cavern-centered fortresses often lead to a quick onset of !!fun!!. And the homelands will thrive should you successfully export food. I'm sure the Mines of Artifice and Riverend will enjoy the increase in trade cararvans to and from Bakeddoom. And the goblin raiders, too . .

Ah, so you've chosen a far southwestern embark? The farthest fortress so far, from the main dwarven civs. Settled in the valley of goblins.. looking forward to more posts.

Donnerino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 12, 2022, 01:36:24 pm »

I approve of these plans. Cavern-centered fortresses often lead to a quick onset of !!fun!!. And the homelands will thrive should you successfully export food. I'm sure the Mines of Artifice and Riverend will enjoy the increase in trade cararvans to and from Bakeddoom. And the goblin raiders, too . .

Ah, so you've chosen a far southwestern embark? The farthest fortress so far, from the main dwarven civs. Settled in the valley of goblins.. looking forward to more posts.

The Baron told them to establish an Agricultural Bread Basket, not a whole lot of choices there for that in the Bones, unfortunately. Though it helps to read a map right side up.  ;)

Funnily enough, I don't think I'm in range of the Goblins, some how, but time will tell wether or not that is correct. Better to be prepared than the Goblins coming here expecting free bread and wine. But, assuming we don't get eaten by a forgotten beast, or the Goblins arrive early, I think the first food exports will be heading out to feed a starving world within... 2 or 3 years. Next post will be tomorrow.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 12, 2022, 10:45:53 pm »

I keep forgetting how big this world is.  I don't think any of my adventurers have covered the same ground or found any of the settlements.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Donnerino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 13, 2022, 12:56:30 pm »

Bakeddoom: Caverns of Crud

As I reopen my journal as I take a break from carving out large stockpiles for what will no doubt be our massive industry, I write this knowing we may never get there. But.. I see a successfully built eastern wall and a number of blockades being constructed to the west. I almost wish Migrants would come here, it'd help with the workload of making this place home at least a little bit. Now, what did I say we'd accomplish this year? Ah, yes, security, homes, and production. Well, I've ordered our Carpenter and Mason to start making some furniture so we aren't sleeping on the floor again.

And, foolish me, I've never written down who shares this Cavern outpost with me. If the others read this and don't see their names somewhere in here, they'd string me up and let the Elk Birds peck out my eyes. I suppose we'll start with the Farmer, who was gracious enough to... name this place. His name is Onget Lolokstigaz, a cheerful dwarf with an inflated sense of self-importance, but he is the Farmer, we ought to respect him for what he does. It's not like any of us know how his job works, despite that, he doesn't seem to have a lot of respect for his own work, oddly enough.

Next, the Mason, Zon Inodarros, by Tumos, what a nervous wreck he is, and an awful pessimist as well, the Caverns aren't doing him too well, and not only that, he keeps talking about how awful everything is, it's really not helping the situation, and all despite how much we argue with him about how it'll be okay. He's making some rock doodads now, I hope that begins to settle him somewhat until we finally get him a bed to cry in, as opposed to the cave grass.

Oddom Onulazin, our Hunter, I might call her my Best Friend, if I knew the girl well enough anyways. she's not complained too much since we got here, but she is a bit greedy, she tried asking me to make their room bigger, to which I threw my pick at her. We haven't gotten any sniveling nobles here, yet, I told'er. But other than that small slight, I can't complain, perhaps they're a bit of an Idealist.

Our Woodsman, Lor Berdanfeb, is a quiet sort. I haven't yet marked him down, but every time I've helped haul wood he's seemed almost eternally grateful. The things he does say, though infrequent, have been very nice, all in all, he's a very pleasant person to be around. I suppose what they say about Lumberjacks is true in some respects.

Ineth Betanoltar, my fellow Miner, is a gentle sort of giant, and as stubborn as an ass as well, he hasn't given up trying to strike the earth here and carve it into the home, not once, which is more than I can say about our Mason. The man isn't very thankful, like Lor, though, but I suppose that's what being a Miner can be like. You dig all these tunnels and you barely get a lick of thanks yourself huh?

And then... there's Cerol Zaneglakish... our Butcher... They are... eccentric, I suppose is a good way of putting her. She's constantly nervous and somewhat depressive, and I suppose she takes it out on us by being as rude as she possibly can, and yet, despite that, she's trying her best just as any of us are.

That's all of us, except for me, and this Journal is about the fortress, not I, but you can call me Dogiklitast I suppose.

Oh, I just heard our first beds are being put down, better get up.

1065-05-19

By Tomus, we're actually getting migrants here! I never thought they'd actually arrive, especially not this far South West! Oddom, who was hauling up refuse to the surface, spotted them coming in. I'll have to actually dig out some homes for them, there aren't many, or shouldn't be, I never got a number. I'll ask Ineth to dig out some new homes for our new guests, thankfully we have some extra beds to welcome them here with. Hopefully, I don't hear too much complaining though. I guess we did come to the right place, but it calls into question why exactly the Baron thought this was a good place to settle...

Sadly... there are only 4 migrants arriving, I don't really know what I expected, but I'm happy there here nonetheless. Any more of Lor's whining we'll die alone here and I probably would've rung his neck a few times. We've got a lady who knows their way around a loom, another Mason, a Furnace Operator, and a Blacksmith. I guess we ought to be lucky we got them at all, huh? We'll get to work making them feel at home. Welcome to Bakeddoom, Meng, Sigun, Urist, and Zutthan.

To give them a warm welcome, I've also authorized the construction of a tavern, hoping to get some more business here, maybe some adventurer's who'd like to kill... I dunno, Elk Birds or Giant Olms? And if Dwarves hear we've got a snazzy place to drink, well, extra hands would be nice too.

With all that good news, Spring has already become Autumn, to think we're already spending our second year here in Bakeddoom. I can't believe I'm starting to warm up to that name. Bakeddoom... On the topic of the name, we decided to name this new Tavern "The Gilded Breakfast". Came up with it myself.

1065-07-05

Our stockpile rooms are done, this should be enough space for the foreseeable future, but as I say that, the rock stockpile is basically completely full. But there's enough space to expand for even more space, should we need it. Our workshops will be somewhere close by, where? I'm not exactly sure, but we haven't really born the need for all of them quite yet. If we're going to be producing things, I'd like them to be valuables. And we do have some gold available to us... That magma is becoming mighty tempting to tap into.

And as I expected, the Traders and Liaison are here, though a bit more early than I even expected, things are going well if I might say! I do wonder what the Liaison will be speaking of with regard to news from the Mountain homes, we are far away, and we should be caught up on things going on back where there's "proper" civilization.

Back from the Liaison... who... is a Goblin. I... wasn't expecting that, I almost thought we were being besieged and someone left the door open to simply let them in and take the place over. Turns out they're fluent in Dwarvish and have come to greet me, I'm... not so sure how I feel about all this. But... if our Dwarven Brothers and Sisters think this is okay, who am I to argue.

In our talks, I prioritized asking them for more seeds, cloth, clothing, weapons, food and drink, and Bronze (making weapons and armor, should be cheaper than asking for steel, plus I just love the look of bronze armor). In exchange, they want mostly Footwear, ammo, sheets, cheese, hide, meat, handwear, tools, splints and thread. I suppose we can... try, Mr. Goblin.

As for news, no news is good news. I guess things are calm. Not even the Goblins to our east seem to know we're here. Which is... suspicious. I had a talk with my fellow Miner, Ineth, and shares my suspicions. We thing there's something up here, but we don't have enough evidence to act upon it. This "Liaison" will have many eyes on him. For now, we haul.

1065-10-01

Winter is upon us once more. The Tavern is complete, it's bedrooms furnished, and we have a dining room, albeit a partially furnished one. We've also punched to death another Olm, which again I am quite proud of, how dare they find their ways past our walls, which.. I've gotta figure that out as well. I'm authorizing the West Walls be increased in height and build fortifications there too. This place is becoming a proper castle, and I'm loving it. I'm thinking of even setting up some paved roads down here as well.

We're starting to get some of the walls and floors down here smoothed as well, to make it feel more "official" that we've settled in here. I have some grand plans, and I feel as though I might take some options from our fellows the Humans in executing those plans, just in a bit more of a... Dwarven way. You know... lets put a hole in our wall to the east, and set up a drawbridge. Now that I'm thinking of it.

Our Workshops are going to be set up within the bosoms of our massive stockpiles. It's the best idea, and it'll be central and far away from our bedrooms. I know these aren't "massive" but they'll do for now, hopefully. We have *too* much Marble, but that's good, we can turn those into blocks for my future infrastructure plans. The first place to go down will be the Mechanics workshop to make mechanisms so our bridges can work in keeping out any beasties that seek to get in. Ones we can't punch to death already anyway, looking at you Giant Olms.

And with that, It is the new year, Spring has arrived, and our Outpost looks more and more like a keep the more work we get done on it. I will put away my Journal for next time, I must help build these new workshops and smooth the walls.

OOC:
And that's my second post. I'll be sure to have one up the next day as well if not the day after. To be honest? Now that I've walled off everything and I feel secure? I think the Caverns are okay actually, and it gives me a lot of creative freedom with all the space I can create, I'm getting a lot of ideas. I am a bit disappointed I'm not attracting a whole lotta migrants, but to be honest, I really don't blame them, this place isn't fantastic and it's super far away from dwarven civilization. As you might've noticed, I've also put down a few other farm plots.

I'm really liking the walls I've set up also, they give me that underground castle kind of vibe, and I plan on expanding outside the walls once I get a military to try and tame this place. Still not impressive, but for my second year running this place, it's going better than I thought it would.

Also, and I don't want to forget this, if you guys want to be dorfed or have any nicknames, I'll go ahead and write them down next time I play. I'll just say the Expedition Leader gave them nicknames and leave it at that. I'm also open to suggestions or reminders on what I should be doing for the fort to make it better. I plan on starting the Magma project next play session.

Thanks for reading!

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 13, 2022, 04:37:53 pm »

Well, with all the conflicts going on there might just not be a lot of dwarfs to be migrants.  Or maybe they melt before they reach you?   ???

Donnerino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 13, 2022, 05:42:36 pm »

Well, with all the conflicts going on there might just not be a lot of dwarfs to be migrants.  Or maybe they melt before they reach you?   ???

Quite possible. I'll just have to make do with 4-0 dwarves in a migration wave.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 13, 2022, 08:40:33 pm »

I am down to give this a good. Im good at cleaning ;) . Wont be able to start til next week tho
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Donnerino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 14, 2022, 01:37:47 pm »

Bakeddoom: The Mountain Homes Answer

I start my journal this 2nd of Felsite, 1066, with fantastic news. We've gotten more migrants! And not just 4 of them either, like last time, this wave features twenty-one dwarves! I write as they are settling and I have time away from meeting and greeting all of them. I simply don't think I can attend to my duties and describe them all to you Journal at the same time, but I will mention that we've received quite a few highly skilled dwarves, including another miner! Among them are medical professionals, a glassmaker, a chef, a clerk, and a candle maker. Of course, of the few peasants that arrived, I am grateful for them too, they have the chance to learn a new profession, and a few extra hands to help haul all this stone is much appreciated too!

6th of Felsite, 1066

Onget, our Farmer, and the brains behind the name "Bakeddoom" has been taken by something of a mood not long after the Migrants have finally settled in, and he's immediately taken the Craftsdwarf's Workshop. I hope this is a good omen and shows our new guests that we are capable of great and mighty things. Or it will show them that they've come to the wrong place. He won't even tell me what he needs, yet I see him bringing entire logs into the workshop and drawing images of gems and forests. I don't even know how Onget even knows what a forest looks like, but peering over his shoulder and avoiding his punches, it seems to... look like a forest? Time will tell, even as our fortress heads into the summer.

1st of Hematite, 1066

He's begun construction and gathered the appropriate materials, I think. I'm not sure what he could be making, but I hope it's good. He is, after all, a dwarf, and I've seen that look in his eye before, that look means a masterpiece that is beyond any words, other than one, an artifact. And there he is now in the dining room, raising something above his head to show it to us all now.

A wooden ring with gems inlaid, and between each gem the scene of a Baron being crowned by his many supporters as if it were some kind of moving picture. As you twist the ring around your finger, he showed, the crown is being lowered atop the Baron's head. Very creative, though I'm not sure how he knows of this event, perhaps it has something to do with the mood, I regrettably cannot say I've ever experienced such a thing, but we're all happy for him.

22nd Hematite, 1066

The new bedrooms for our new residents are being furnished slowly, so I hope they can bear with having to sleep elsewhere for now. Smoothing the stone is also going slowly, but we have a lot of things to haul at the moment and many people are occupied with craftsdwarfship or other objectives. In addition, we've also constructed the catacombs for anyone unfortunate enough in the future to perish in our Fort, I pray to Tomus it does not happen any time soon. Along with that, I'm setting up a nesting room for our hens, turkeys, and other avian friends to lay their eggs.

Speaking of praying to Tomus, having an actual place to conduct prayer would be a good idea, I'll talk with my fellow miners to consider where to put such a place...

14th of Malachite, 1066

As we approach the middle of the year, we are granted the fortune of nine more migrants making their way here from the Mountain Homes, and with them yet another minder, and three more farmers. With this many farmers now at our disposal, I think we may be able to conduct some surface farming to increase the variety of plants we are producing. The next time a trader arrives, I'll have to see about being able to get some of those more... exotic seeds. Additonally, we've begun work on not only the Temple, but also the Magma project that should see us not only as a Bread Basket, but a place of fine metal crafting as well. We now number at 41 Dwarves, thank you Tomus.

13th of Sandstone, 1066

With autumn arriving, and winter with the new year coming, I must start to gather all my thoughts and place them here for you Journal so that I may look back and figure out just what in hell I'm doing. being an expedition leader is... tiring, and I'd much rather just be in the mines working away simply with little else to think about, but it provides a fresh perspective and new skills, and improve upon the old is something all dwarves must strive for.

Firstly, I've begun construction of a set of walls, two here in the caverns, so that we may begin a bit of a "human village" outside the walls, as I've taken to call it. One to the east, and one to the south. On the surface is the biggest wall to be constructed, made of marble blocks and surrounding a large area of the mouth of the entrance, its primary purpose being to protect us against any attack. I still don't believe that the Goblins simply don't know we're here, and there's still the question about that Liaison.

Next, the Magma project, which will be powering our magma forges, is also under construction. I will be extremely careful not to screw this one up, one wrong move and it will all be for nothing. Though I believe if something does go wrong, I could salvage it in some way. I also need to look into giving our glass makers something to do, glass is an interesting commodity, and I quite like the look of it. We'll also need to make a hospital, a lumberjack of ours was wounded in an encounter with a cave bat, we've been getting him water until he can get onto his feet, but I fear for his life. For his sake, it's being set up immediately.

On the topic of religion, the temple has been carved out, but not yet properly set up. I still require altars and everything else. And... why not put a moat on the docket. Sure.

As I hear that traders are coming, I will put an early close to this book before the new year, while the Broker talks to the merchant.

Here's another post, I'll be playing out the rest of the year this day, but so far not that much interesting has happened other than slow but steady progress towards becoming a breadbasket of the World of Bones for the Dwarven (and I guess also Goblin) people. The hospital has been set up, but we need buckets among other medical things for care. There are still a lot of hauling jobs and whatnot, so I'm a little worried by dwarves can't get a break. When the traders arrived, I sold them our first shipment of food, including cheese, milk and plants, about 10 barrels worth, and a lot of gems that we've been saving up and cutting.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 14, 2022, 06:44:43 pm »

nice progress.

A wooden ring with gems inlaid, and between each gem the scene of a Baron being crowned by his many supporters as if it were some kind of moving picture. As you twist the ring around your finger, he showed, the crown is being lowered atop the Baron's head. Very creative, though I'm not sure how he knows of this event, perhaps it has something to do with the mood, I regrettably cannot say I've ever experienced such a thing, but we're all happy for him.

awesome description / interpretation here. Those kinds of trick rings would totally be something a dwarf makes under the spell of a fey spirit... and this is further proof that the game truly comes alive in the minds of the players!

now, to hassle my IRL carpenter friend to make something similar  :D

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 14, 2022, 06:48:39 pm »

I am down to give this a good. Im good at cleaning ;) . Wont be able to start til next week tho

You have been added to the list.  Anybody else want a go?

Donnerino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 14, 2022, 07:32:43 pm »

nice progress.

awesome description / interpretation here. Those kinds of trick rings would totally be something a dwarf makes under the spell of a fey spirit... and this is further proof that the game truly comes alive in the minds of the players!

now, to hassle my IRL carpenter friend to make something similar  :D

I'm glad you thought it was an interesting description, just thought of it as I was reading the description of the artifact and figured if it's depicting an event, why not show the event in motion? If your carpenter friend ever actually makes something like that, be sure to share it with us, I'd be keen to see it.

Donnerino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 15, 2022, 02:17:20 pm »

Bakeddoom: The Everlasting Indeed

On the 1st of Granite, 1067, I, Imush Kutamshorast, was elected mayor by my fellow Dwarves. I was once a humble dissector of animals, and now I stand as a representative of our great city here within the caverns of Bakeddoom, the Everlasting. The expedition leader, Dogiklitast, has stepped down from his position and retired to simpler things as he had wished for so long, based on what I can read from the journal he gave me anyways, he said it would help me rule.

The Magma Project that he started has been finished by me, and now we have multiple fully functioning magma forges waiting to produce weapons, armor, and other crafts, and we've already begun creating green glass windows and other objects of the material as well. The moat above ground which provides us with security is also finished, one may never know when war will come to our walls, even if the Goblin barbarians have not yet figured out our existence to their west. As for our Liaison, I'm not sure I quite believe the Ex-Expedition Leader's... ramblings that he has scrawled into the margins of his Journal.

26th of Granite, 1067

Ten farmers approached me in the street today declaring their intent to set up a Farmer's Guild, declaring themselves The Fragrant Hall, I don't particularly see whats so fragrant about them, but as a dissector myself, I can't exactly laugh at them myself. I promised them I will set up a guild hall for them as soon as I possibly could, and I do have the intent to do so. I even have a good idea where to put it, there's simply too much unused space above us, I will construct it off of the main staircase.

I have shown this design to them, and they're very impressed that it looks like a banana, whatever that is, I intended for it to look like a hand sickle, but... if they like it regardless of my artistic ability, I have succeeded nonetheless!

6th of Slate, 1067

Our Cook went insane and went on a massacre, by the gods there's so much blood! I didn't even know the Cook was taken by a mood and couldn't find the things he needed! We have at least five wounded and 8 dead just from one cook beating people to death, not to mention all the animals he murdered! I can't even tell what happened, but it appears one of our miners was also involved in the murders, having torn someone apart with a pick. At least three more are just bleeding out on the street missing various parts of their bodies.

10th of Felsite, 1067

If that massacre wasn't bad enough, we have heard a massive moaning coming from the deep caverns, and not just that, but thunderous croaks, noises that could only come from some kind of massive monster from the deepest and darkest depths. I am caught in indecision, we cannot hole ourselves up down here or we will surely fall apart if only slowly! We are dwarves, we will face these monsters head-on if need be! We either die in glorious combat, or we die of starvation breathing in the miasma of death! I have ordered a draft of our most adept combatants.

Spoiler: And so it goes... (click to show/hide)

The entire fortress was slaughtered, and all because I neglected one small issue with my defenses, there was a traversable diagonal corner that I didn't see where the wall's construction was suspended, probably because the rock tagged for it's use was hauled and I didn't notice it. Perhaps someone can go in as an adventurer and retrieve that artifact wooden ring and try to contend with this strange gigantic rock frog that spits webs. If I had to say what was my biggest mistake other than that? Probably not having found any strategic metals to make weapons out of to set up a military. Also setting up in the caverns...

Bakeddoom has fallen, and with it, the hopes of setting up a breadbasket for the Dwarven Mountain Homes.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 15, 2022, 09:36:22 pm »

You still have time to have an adventurer if you wish?  Or a small Fortress. You started around the 12th and therefore still have MORE than a week left.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 09:38:02 pm by callisto8413 »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 15, 2022, 11:05:12 pm »

Our Cook went insane and went on a massacre, by the gods there's so much blood! I didn't even know the Cook was taken by a mood and couldn't find the things he needed! We have at least five wounded and 8 dead just from one cook beating people to death, not to mention all the animals he murdered!

waht the fuck lol

wow... I mean that's a damn story alright! often it's the one-two punch that does in an otherwise healthy fortress.

so now there is a highly-experienced stone toad roaming the overworld, thirsty for dwarven blood . . ? AND its a web-slinger (the most dangerous variety, hands down)? That sounds like a quest in the making.

and +1 to callisto. this lengthy turn format allows for..... mistakes.....

Donnerino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 16, 2022, 11:10:59 am »

You still have time to have an adventurer if you wish?  Or a small Fortress. You started around the 12th and therefore still have MORE than a week left.
waht the fuck lol

wow... I mean that's a damn story alright! often it's the one-two punch that does in an otherwise healthy fortress.

so now there is a highly-experienced stone toad roaming the overworld, thirsty for dwarven blood . . ? AND its a web-slinger (the most dangerous variety, hands down)? That sounds like a quest in the making.

and +1 to callisto. this lengthy turn format allows for..... mistakes.....

I think I'll be setting up another fortress. Considering that my last fortress mostly fell due to a lack of security, I'll probably make a military fort with the goal of making the terrain around it safe. And this time I'll probably settle closer to the dwarven civilization, mostly because last time I actually wasn't at war with the Goblins.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28