Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 28

Author Topic: The World Of Bones - Succession World - Ended  (Read 30076 times)

Donnerino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The World Of Bones - Succession World - Players Wanted!
« Reply #135 on: December 17, 2022, 04:06:56 pm »

As I said in the last post, the objective will be to create a military fortress with the goal of trying to tame the wilderness and allow trade caravans to safely cross the deserts of the World of Bones. I've checked the neighboring civilizations and we are within range of the Humans, Goblins, Dwarves ,and a Necromancer's Tower. I think the long-term goal of this fortress, whether or not I can make it that far, will be to try and topple that tower, as that's likely a heavy influencer of the stability of the lands northwest of the Mountain Homes. It is a sand desert, a warm temperature, and the trees are scarce, with wilderness surroundings. It has sand (of course), little soil, shallow and deep metals, and a flux stone layer.

I will be experimenting with my next posts, as I'm new to this succession business, and unsure if I want to keep trying to be in character for all of them. I think I'm trying to find a style that suits me without having to put too much work into it or take too much time whilst still being an enjoyable read for you guys or whoever else checks in. Should this fortress fail, either immediately or otherwise, before my time is up on this succession phase, I'll hand it off to the next person there and then.

figured it would be flat, but I didn't think it'd be this flat, but that's alright, we can just dig down and build a wall around the entrance. But I'm curious about where exactly I'll be putting the entrance. Close to the water and using it as a wall might be helpful for defense, and I could put a fishing dock or something there, but it's also pretty far away from that car which isn't that big of a deal I suppose. Not to mention I could use the water from the lake to create an irrigated farm, there is a conveniently shaped small square peninsula there.

I'll get started now and provide yearly updates as I usually do.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 17, 2022, 05:16:57 pm »

Jagaurs?  They are easy to kill. 

Now the ducks or kangaroos....watch out for them.   And the melting.  Melting is bad.

Hope the lake has fish.  Fish is good.

And play with the posts.  I change my writing style alot.  You should see my first story -Toyland.  I was all over the place.

The Story of Olinning
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 06:48:28 pm by callisto8413 »
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 17, 2022, 05:17:32 pm »

very nice! to the northern deserts we roam. the tower will be. . . difficult . . to topple.

I will be experimenting with my next posts, as I'm new to this succession business, and unsure if I want to keep trying to be in character for all of them. I think I'm trying to find a style that suits me without having to put too much work into it or take too much time whilst still being an enjoyable read for you guys or whoever else checks in.

personally I stay 'in character' only as long as it doesn't conflict with actual gameplay. once I tire, I tend to default to a semi-journalistic report style that merely details major events with minimal editorialism. I admire writers who can keep the thread going, but at the end of the day it is often more interesting to see what the simulation coughs up. sometimes it is good to revisit classic tales like Boatmurdered to get in the mood .

or that one time in Duck Fortress when someone roleplayed a duck-overseer (duckverseer) . that was great

I think someone played as a literal stone, once? maybe smallhands? lol

basically, don't sweat it  and don't burn yourself out lol. what you've provided so far is great!

Donnerino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 17, 2022, 06:13:18 pm »

Jagaurs?  They are easy to kill. 

Now the ducks or kangaroos....watch out for them.   And the melting.  Melting is bad.

Hope the lake has fish.  Fish is good.

And play with the posts.  I change my writing style alot.  You should see my first story -Toyland.  I was all over the play.

The Story of Olinning
very nice! to the northern deserts we roam. the tower will be. . . difficult . . to topple.

personally I stay 'in character' only as long as it doesn't conflict with actual gameplay. once I tire, I tend to default to a semi-journalistic report style that merely details major events with minimal editorialism. I admire writers who can keep the thread going, but at the end of the day it is often more interesting to see what the simulation coughs up. sometimes it is good to revisit classic tales like Boatmurdered to get in the mood .

or that one time in Duck Fortress when someone roleplayed a duck-overseer (duckverseer) . that was great

I think someone played as a literal stone, once? maybe smallhands? lol

basically, don't sweat it  and don't burn yourself out lol. what you've provided so far is great!

Thanks for the understanding, I'll take your guys advice to heart for later. I've finished the first year so far just carving a home out for the dwarves. My next post tomorrow will be a "real" post for the second year of the fortress. The usual stuff is going on, making houses for dwarves, making furniture, hauling tons of stone, and securing a food and water source. Hopefully, I can get a well trained enough force to take on the Necromancer once I get a metal industry set up. Yet again, though, caves are in the way. :(

Donnerino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 19, 2022, 09:51:14 am »

alright! no worries, 'tis the season for dramatic interruptions lol

so - who's next?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 19, 2022, 10:23:48 am »

alright! no worries, 'tis the season for dramatic interruptions lol

so - who's next?

AvolitionBrit is next.  I will send him a letter.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 19, 2022, 10:51:41 am »

I'd like to take a (short) turn at some point, if there's still space available.

And a question: when playing adventure mode, is the use of DFHack's advfort allowed (for adventurer camp flavor)?

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 19, 2022, 05:16:40 pm »

Picking it up :)
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 19, 2022, 09:53:38 pm »

I'd like to take a (short) turn at some point, if there's still space available.

And a question: when playing adventure mode, is the use of DFHack's advfort allowed (for adventurer camp flavor)?

As long as it does not screw up the save you pass on.  And I will add you to the list.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 19, 2022, 10:10:58 pm »

As long as it does not screw up the save you pass on.  And I will add you to the list.

Haven't had issues with it in my games, but I'll see if I find some info if there's been cases where things get screwed up in the long run.

(But probably better to just in case refrain from using it, since I can't say for certain.)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 20, 2022, 02:46:33 pm »

While waiting I peeked into Legends.  Most of the Settlemens are doing okay.  The Coal of Prestige took back the Bridge of Awe-Inspiring.

And the Forgotten Beast in Bakeddoom has let the remaining animals starve to death.  How nice of it.

Donnerino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 21, 2022, 07:29:06 pm »

While waiting I peeked into Legends.  Most of the Settlemens are doing okay.  The Coal of Prestige took back the Bridge of Awe-Inspiring.

And the Forgotten Beast in Bakeddoom has let the remaining animals starve to death.  How nice of it.

Well it was just a stone frog, I can't imagine it has that much dread for its fellow animals. Dwarves on the other hand...

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 22, 2022, 10:26:47 am »

The Mark left

The Branded Scorpions like most goblins are a plague upon dwarven society. Their demon overlord is long dead and yet they still commit atrocities upon the world of bones. Upon us The Staff of Hide. Once a bustling dwarven community rendered into a mere bandit camp, ran by a repugnant goblin baron Gozru Terrorcalled who uses a weak puppet warlord Ubbul and his two thugs Zas and Asob the wrestlers to keep the rest of us dwarves in check.

Those who defended and fought for us are either long dead or are rotting away in goblin prisons. As part of "peace" they sent some of their members to join our ranks but i know what thats for. As our numbers continue to drop, they will eventually consume our civilization and it will become more hollow than it already is. The Still Tours, The Craft of Conunctions and The Most Blockade are already like this. This isnt mentioning the lost civilizations that no longer exist at all. The nine goblin tibes have left their mark upon our world. Its time this was ammended.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 22, 2022, 11:46:09 am »

The Mark left

Upon us The Staff of Hide. Once a bustling dwarven community rendered into a mere bandit camp, ran by a repugnant goblin baron Gozru Terrorcalled who uses a weak puppet warlord Ubbul and his two thugs Zas and Asob the wrestlers to keep the rest of us dwarves in check.

this foul puppetry shall be vanquished! . . . but who will volunteer for the quest? the heroes of yore are old, invalid, or dead. Will a new face appear, from the shadowy wastes?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 28