Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 28

Author Topic: The World Of Bones - Succession World - Ended  (Read 30061 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The World Of Bones - Succession World - Players Wanted!
« Reply #240 on: February 08, 2023, 09:15:59 am »

i AM alive,  despite reports to the contrary. I should have time today to venture into the bone lands

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 09, 2023, 02:35:09 am »

Part 1: The Approach

Kûbuk "Cavefinger" Äsúk led a party of 7 through the endless waste of varicolored sands and rocky badlands known as The Desert of Equaling. As far as his people knew, this desert stretched from pole to pole, a colossal region of absolutely nothing but sand, rock, and the ever-present threat of dehydration and death.

Kûbuk thus led the caravan of archaeologists and guardsman from trickling desert stream, to inland lake (though most of these were saline, due to the natural process of evaporation), to hidden oasis, and so on, never straying far from the path inscibed on the inleaf of a small leather book. This journal was once his grandfathers, who had made many similar treks in search of the western mountains and fossils contained therein, and during these journeys had left careful notes of the safest path through the badlands.

"Stop. Trouble ahead." spoke Doren, the hired guard and caravan scout, and as the party stalled they could see a ball of dust ahead. "Goblin riders! Get low!"

Kûbuk dropped with the rest of them. The caravan sat just below a ridgeline and was protected from view, and the curious dwarves crawled up on their bellies to peer at the passing goblins. A dozen or so armed and armored scouts rode atop snarling beakdogs. Their weapons appeared cruel to the dwarves, whips and hooks and cleavers, but in truth this was merely their prejudice and the goblins simply carried a wide variety of tools of the trade.

You see, most goblin-dwarf encounters involve little speaking or empathy and the resulting lack of understanding is somewhat of a learned behavior, after hundreds of years of total warfare. Though not exactly a misplaced prejudice considering what might happen should those goblins catch sight of the fairly lightly armed caravan.

The dwarves cowered atop the sandy ridge as the riders grew closer  and closer, passing by far too close for comfort, before disappearing around the eastern bend in the ridge. Their trailing dust could be seen retreating further, and the dwarves celebrated, talking excitedly of the encounter. Most of the party were newcomers to this kind of adventure, having been recruited from the bookish types who were great identifiers of ancient fossils and artifacts, and much more likely to be found in the stacks at the mountainhome's libraries than trekking across the surface wastes.

The group returned to the caravan and continued west. Sunset brought the dwarves to a sunken oasis, more of a muddy water-pit than anything else, and the group struggled to filter the sediment before drinking.

Like this, they moved across the sprawling desert valley for another week or two. They saw no further goblin patrols, thankfully, and the mood was jovial considering the strain of travel.

One day, while passing a slow stream, Kûbuk called for a halt, and the group gathered round to listen.

"Here, where the obsidian sand of the east meets the white limestone sand of the south, and so too the iron-rich sand of the west, many centuries of erosion and deposition have left buried curiosities. We will dig here for fossils and artifact specimens."

"But sir," opined Olon, one of the guards. "This world is only as old as the Gods have made it. Why would there be fossils in the ground when this plane of existence was crafted through divine artifice? And what is a fossil, anyways?"

"Quiet yourself, fool. The Gods crafted this world with careless abandon during a drunken orgy. Half of them have already abandoned us - have you not taken a look around at the state of this world? Have you not heard the stories of our forefathers of the rain-storms than brought great explosions of flowers and vines to the desert soils? Where has that rain gone?"Kûbuk waved his arms around and shook his fist at the sky during his ranting.

"It was suggested by those researchers before me that the method for creating the ground beneath our feet was much like that of a smith, folding steel to craft a sword. However during this process of folding, another god saw fit to populate the world with various beings, who were then wrapped into the folded god-materiel and crushed, preserved, entombed.... a horrible thought indeed. But how else might you explain the findings of my Grandfather?" Kûbuk pointed to the leather-bound journal. "Herein lay the notes of his journeys, and the guide to our work in the coming weeks."

"Let us call this place Cuggánmomuz, "Sandcrypts", and celebrate! Pierce that last keg of rum!"

And so, these lucky dwarves quickly discovered that the desert is a great place to get drunk (softer falls), and most fell asleep sprawled out in the still-warm sand underneath the bright, hanging half-moon.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 02:40:15 am by Salmeuk »

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 09, 2023, 11:33:33 pm »

It's gonna be a rough waking for the drunkards when the sun rises and its scorching rays make the sand as hot as a blast furnace.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 10, 2023, 03:39:33 am »

This makes me wish you could find fossils in game.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 11, 2023, 08:20:41 pm »

While watching for the next report I found this...

https://eartharchives.org/articles/australia-s-demon-duck-of-doom/index.html

So...dangerous ducks in Australia DID exist....
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 11, 2023, 08:36:23 pm »

Low key if there is another World of Bones esc world, i will happly create raws for these demon ducks of doom
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 12, 2023, 01:49:29 am »

A demon duck mod sounds awesome and I feel like I need it to be a thing.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 13, 2023, 01:08:16 pm »

what about a mod that allows you to play the duck people from King of Dragon's Pass?

on the topic of mods, wouldn't it be feasible to make a custom stone, name it 'fossil', and have it be processes-able at a workshop into a randomly selected variety of fossils? thinking out loud here..

===

Spring, Year 1

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The party's first order of business was to secure a small patch of ground from roaming beasties. A moat was planned, and the four Apprentices got to work shoveling the sand. Meanwhile, the two hired guards wandered the vincinity in search of wild vegetables and grains.

The local trees were more akin to bushes.

And Kûbuk? He was already laying out the dig sites.

Four precisely aligned pits and accompanying staircases would provide access to the fossil-rich stone underneath. A modest start, indeed, but for this small of a party, even slight tasks took a great deal of time and effort.

The walls of the dig site

The red sand started weeping . . . an aquifer!

A shallow one, too, but not very strong. This region was at the bottom of a long, descending valley and so the dwarves supposed that all the water that rained in the northwestern mountains trickled down the various streams and rivers and collected itself here, underneath the sand. Wooden slats were crafted from the cactus-spines of the local Saguaro population and installed to prevent leaks, and digging continued.

Our goats took happily to the desert environment, climbing the lone highwood tree and escaping the sun's heat in the shade of the branches.

The first stone layers were a curious mixture of siltstone and Jet, just as Kûbuk's grandfather had described. The siltstone was of particular importance for fossils, as it usually contains trace impressions of ancient life.

Kûbuk would take the freshly-struck siltstone boulders up to the examination tent, where a table and drawers were set up to provide the perfect surface for processing the fossil-bearing stones. He spent many hours in this tent, leaning over the short table with his set of steel tools and monkey-hair brushes. Delicate, solitary work, much to the chagrin of the four apprenctices, who questioned whether he intended to teach them anything at all or instead trick them into weeks of back-breaking manual labor in the middle of a burning wasteland with no way to escape.

The guards were silent, usually. Their fascination with berry-picking waned and they were left to their own devices, often disappearing for hours at a time roaming the nearby dunes. The local terrain (or lack thereof) allowed a scout to see any movement for miles.

These first fossils were not much to look at, but Kûbuk insisted they represented very important discoveries and that all present should feel awestruck by their retrieval from the under-stone. Kûbuk's fanaticism was beginning to show. His red-rimmed eyes, strained from the intense staring needed to differentiate between stone and fossil, peered down at the gathered apprentices and deep into their souls.

Were they believers, like him? Would they learn to worship the process itself, rather than those ancient gods?

The blue leaves of a young highwood tree stand out against the red sand.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 01:11:36 pm by Salmeuk »

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 13, 2023, 01:56:01 pm »

Looking nice!

on the topic of mods, wouldn't it be feasible to make a custom stone, name it 'fossil', and have it be processes-able at a workshop into a randomly selected variety of fossils? thinking out loud here..

Yeah, it's doable. I've actually made several into my personal mod: toadstones (bufonite, fossilized teeth of lepidotes) and tonguestones (fossilized shark teeth). They're treated as gems, so they spawn in small clusters. (Not much use for them currently, but they're there as low value gems.)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 14, 2023, 03:57:06 am »

Where did the art work for this come from, it's quite nice.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 14, 2023, 06:19:16 pm »

I can only assume a library and museum will be made and be massive. 

Edit  - Talking about fossils and giant birds...

https://www.cnet.com/science/biology/scientists-find-fossil-of-largest-penguin-to-ever-roam-earth/?fbclid=IwAR2mgxy07SfZU277xGv6cmARv6_wSNWYx68wZnmWrwnvyppiK5VOZncp2Hc

This is becoming somewhat Lovecraftian....
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 07:18:16 pm by callisto8413 »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 15, 2023, 12:12:41 pm »

Where did the art work for this come from, it's quite nice.

its AI. i use dreamstudio.. my trick is to prompt the generation with specific artists, who impart a certain sought-after feeling. obscure polish oil painters from the 1800's work well in my experience. Artur Grottger for example. Juliusz Fortunat Kossak was used for today's images!!

===

One day, four malnourished dwarves appeared out of the eastern foothills, cheering elatedly and begging for something to eat. They were smiths and jewelers and other crafty types, escaping a goblin ambush that destroyed their caravan... with no food they began to follow this stream west in hopes of finding a road, but it was days and days of travel with nothing to show for it. They tried to kill one of the stream turtles but Cerol lost a finger in the process so they gave that up and eventually came upon Kubuk and the party.

After a quick discussion with the others, Kubuk decided to sign on these survivors as laborers. This would give the Apprentices some much needed rest.

The hungry four looked at the scrawny group of dwarves who now offered up their sweat-stained pickaxes, and thought about how far away they were from anything else, but also of the freshly brewed ales and wines that rested right there ... and gave in quickly to the proposal.

Kubuk later reflected on this. "My grandfather had described this place as 'as distant from populations as one might expect to find themselves, in this corner of the world', yet here appeared a group of newcomers only one season after founding the site. In the half-century since this journal was inscibed, the desert has grown more populous than he could have ever imagined. Too much attention is not good for us - there is no good way to defend sprawling dig site."

In Autumn, a traveling caravan arrived from the south. They brought no news.. but a fair amount of food and drink were acquired for some basic crafts, whipped up by the dwarves at the last minute in hopes of stockpiling for the next few seasons.

So too arrived more dwarves. Not survivors, but a group of mercenary fighters in search of work. Kubuk invited them to eat, and shared with them a feast of goat and fisher berries. They soon agreed to patrol our camp for pests and wild beasts, in exchange for more of that delicious goat.

Walls of black jet were built, and a moat was filled.

The dwarves were busy for another season like this. In the end, an artificial island of sorts was left, with a short doorway on the south. Hopefully unnecessary - the worst threat so far were the biting turtles who hid near the deepest troughs, where the water ran slow, and swimmers might find themselves losing a toe or three.

Life continued, slowly...

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 16, 2023, 04:00:45 am »

its AI. i use dreamstudio.. my trick is to prompt the generation with specific artists, who impart a certain sought-after feeling. obscure polish oil painters from the 1800's work well in my experience. Artur Grottger for example. Juliusz Fortunat Kossak was used for today's images!!
I wasn't sure if it was AI or not because those images were more coherent and refined looking than most AI generated pictures of plants.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 16, 2023, 11:08:07 am »

Nice update!

While I usually absolutely detest AI generated art, I have to admit that those are actually quite nice ones you got there.

Also, damn those dorfs are moving fast in the gifs!

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 16, 2023, 02:07:29 pm »

Milkfish?   Wait, you have live fish someplace?  How do you do that?   I never knew you could fish farm...or am I missing something?
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 28