Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 28

Author Topic: The World Of Bones - Succession World - Ended  (Read 30081 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The World Of Bones - Succession World - Players Wanted!
« Reply #255 on: February 16, 2023, 02:57:03 pm »

its AI. i use dreamstudio.. my trick is to prompt the generation with specific artists, who impart a certain sought-after feeling. obscure polish oil painters from the 1800's work well in my experience. Artur Grottger for example. Juliusz Fortunat Kossak was used for today's images!!
I wasn't sure if it was AI or not because those images were more coherent and refined looking than most AI generated pictures of plants.

Nice update!

While I usually absolutely detest AI generated art, I have to admit that those are actually quite nice ones you got there.

Also, damn those dorfs are moving fast in the gifs!

yeah AI doesn't always do plants. often too impressionistic, or lacking texture.. i really feel that a lot of AI art is  like hunting for records in a music shop. you'll know it ('it' being the composition you are seeking) when you see it!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

in some ways AI art is destructive because it threatens to make history itself look fake, or generated. . again there are many sides to this technology.

===

It was in Spring of the following year when the dwarves struck an archaeologist's worst nightmare - metamorphic stone. It was impossible for fossils to survive the processess of the mantle, where pressure and heat combined to forever transmute the stone's texture. This particular layer of schist sat 8 z-levels below the surface.

As he investigated the quarry, Kûbuk noticed something. . wrong. . with the exposed stone, muttering to himself as he worked. "Intrusions of some kind, bubbles of a white mineral, calcite perhaps? And these hardened oblong tubes look like egg casings.. are these bore holes in the side?"

Kûbuk cracked open one of the calcite bubbles, revealing what looked like invertebrate fossils, covered in a white dust . . impossible. He moved the boulder to examine the alien object closer. Similar to a horseshoe crab, yet different enough to seem strange. Kûbuk knew that the earliest life was in many ways different from that which existed today. Some creatures were much larger or much smaller, and looked like those that exist today but with different limbs or head shapes.

This was sensational! 

. . .

Then, Kûbuk noticed it was moving. The small crab thing stirred and turned itself over, revealing a shiny black carapace. In fact the whole boulder now appeared to be awakening, as each entombed creature wriggled free from their stone cocoons. There was a horrible clicking noise as this swarm of fossil-crabs descended upon Kûbuk, with their hunger audible as clicking mandibles tore at his robes and flesh.

The others heard this and only appeared in time to witness Kûbuk's small frame (they were looking from the desert sand above the excavated pit) consumed by a dark cloud of strange insects.

It was the quick thinking of one of the caravan survivors, Rimtar, who thought to cut a channel from the stream to the quarried pit, flooding the excavation site entirely. If the black cloud of insects hadn't killed him, the water surely will

In other circumstances the dwarves would have carried on - but Kûbuk was kind of the show-runner around here and none of the remaining dwarves cared as much about this particular site as Kûbuk had. And whatever had just eaten Kûbuk was also a lingering thought in the minds of all those present, though no one really wanted to talk much about it. The three witnesses who saw the most pioneered a meeting where they called for abandonment of the campsite and escape. This was agreed upon, though not without dissent. . . the hired guards felt like this gig was pretty good all things considered and had no reason to fear a couple of weird bugs. Regardless, they were to leave immediately..

The group instructed the carpenter to construct a caravan cart, which was loaded up with foodstuffs and some of the precious gems uncovered during the digging, and then set off to the east, in search of civilization, where they would then split the proceeds of the sale of the jewels and go their separate ways.

===

Thus ends the tale of Sandcrypts, with Kûbuk "Cavefinger" Äsúk having dug where one should not, in search of answers to trite questions (answers readily available in the learned writings of priests and philosophers), and ultimately died in vain defiance of the gods of this land.

DFFD save: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16444

I kind of wanted to write more but ran out of irl time. I'll take another turn in a week or two, perhaps.. thanks for reading and I look forward to more tales from the world of bones :>

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 16, 2023, 05:12:47 pm »

Downloading the save as I type and will start tomorrow.   Will add your name to the bottom of the list.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 16, 2023, 05:30:35 pm »

Great story, i enjoyed the narrative of excavating and seeing the strange creatures of the before times. We must be wary and not delve too deep

Sign me up for another turn please.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 16, 2023, 05:56:29 pm »

Signing you up AvolitionBrit

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 17, 2023, 03:16:54 pm »

The World Of Bones - Succession World - Snow White

Snow Volal, whose last name meant White, was a human fish dissector in the Bridge of Awe-inspiring.  A dwarven settlement with few hundred citizens.

She was broad and very muscular.  Her eyebrows were extremely low and her long dark gray-brown hair was braided.  Her short ears were extraordinarily broad and her eyes were slightly protruding.  Her skin was pale brown.

She viewed cooperation as not worthy of respect.   She also found the idea of independence and freedom as somewhat foolish.  And didn’t value merrymaking. 

On the other hand she respected fair-dealing and fair-play.  And she, like many, dreamed of a great discovery.

Yet her home was in danger.  In fact it was always in danger.  For some reason the town of Sazir Gostang was always being invaded and counter-invaded by humans, dwarfs, cows, and ducks.  It was almost as if the bridge with the tavern on top was valuable to somebody.

So she packed up her things.  It was time to leave.

Which included her copper war hammer, copper buckler, bronze breastplate, and two water skins.

She also collected her horse and three war dogs before going to the bridge to give it one last look.

She examined one of the statues.

She realized there seemed to be fighting happening around even as she examined the artwork.  In fact somebody called out for her help.

She decided to flee without chatting with her family and friends.  Heck with this!  She didn’t help people.  That was cooperation!

She moved south with her animals and left the fighting and the feuding behind her.  She didn’t even flip one of the dogs which was a tradition at the time.

And so she entered the Desert that made all intelligence creatures equal before the eyes of the burning sun and the sands of melting death.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 06:06:25 pm by callisto8413 »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 17, 2023, 07:57:05 pm »

She didn’t even flip one of the dogs which was a tradition at the time.

*shocked pikachu face*

let the journey begin.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 17, 2023, 10:29:49 pm »

Ah, finally we get to see what kind of person Snow White of the World of Bones is!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 18, 2023, 04:14:08 am »

I've never seen that into before.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 18, 2023, 05:06:50 pm »

World Of Bones - Succession World - Following The River

Snow White decided to head west.   To meet with and follow the river.  Surely it would take her to someplace civil.  A town or city.

So she went westwards.  But soon came upon dark pits.  She could not travel through them and had to move more southwards to stay away from them.  The pits were NOT civil.

Realizing she would soon be trapped between more dark pits and mountains she turned back and followed the river in the other direction.

The river ended in the hillocks of Dodoktun.  Also known as “Claspeddoor”.  She tried to find any buildings.  A house or a store.

Then she found a Castle Mound?   Was this settlement one of dwarfs?

Funny enough as she approached the huge mound she noticed that she seemed to have four dogs now.

Yes, the Castle Mound was full of dwarfs.  Well, not full.  She saw ten.

She started to talk to the nearest one.  A weaver named Dumat Ensebducim. 

She asked about the hillock and tried to expand her knowledge about the settlement.

The weaver talked about the main market and something about a zombie.  Though Blockadevessels did sound more interesting being the center of trade.

She asked about it and received directions towards the market center.  In other words the Abbey of Blossoming?  Funny enough the weaver had mentioned Blockadevessels but had NO idea what or where it was. 

Nor did it know were Blossoming was either.  So Snow started asking others about the trade center.

It turned out a dwarf named Iden Paperrings would know where it was.  Too bad nobody in the mound knew where Iden was. 

After some more talking, then some shouting, she decided to leave the mound and decided not to bother with the other mounds.  Idiots.  How can they trade with a city when they don’t know where it is?

She decided to check out her map.  It showed more towns and cities to the east.  Dwarfs mostly.  Maybe one of them would know something of interest?

East it was!

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 18, 2023, 10:42:08 pm »

She decided to check out her map.  It showed more towns and cities to the east.

<<snip!>>

East it was!

Somebody needs to teach Snow White the art of dog flipping!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 19, 2023, 03:17:47 am »

Yes some one must, we can't let the tradition die!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 20, 2023, 10:06:13 am »

The World Of Bones - Succession World - Army or Treasure?

Snow White approached the Hillock of Plankhoists.

She searched for the Castle Mound or City Hall Mound to ask about the region and so on.  She found a Civic Mound by the time the sun was setting and entered it.

The Civic Mound was full of dwarfs and a few goblins.  And even one human.  There was also books and items on the floor.  Kind of messy to be honest.

She looked for somebody in charge.   She decided to talk to Amxu Kutsmobum who was the goblin sheriff.

His information wasn’t very interesting but at least he gave her permission to spend the night in the mound.   So she took herself, and her animals, into a corner and went to sleep.

She woke up in the night, hungry and thirsty, so had some water and a meal of rabbit meat.

Then went back to sleep for a few hours.

When she woke up she had another meal, a proper breakfast, of water and another meal of rabbit meat.

It was raining outside the mound.  She went to look at a nearby statue she had passed during the afternoon.

Seems to be a goblin but she had no idea who it was and why they had a statue in the middle of this hillock.

She decided to move on.  Eastwards it was!

Though she was still hungry and thirsty.   And she wondered when the next source of water would show up?

The next hillock was called Ramparthonors.  Once again she looked for the center of government.

She found a Civic Mound and a Castle Mound.  She went to the Castle Mound.

There were some dwarfs and display cases.  It seemed smaller than it should be.

She started to ask questions.

The same old same old.  She decided to ask about any troubles.

So….go stop an army or find a treasure?   Descisions, decisions!

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 20, 2023, 10:46:06 am »

I have a feeling that the army marching might be old news... So, I would suggest a treasure hunt.

...Or possibly make the decision by flipping a dog!   :P

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 20, 2023, 02:57:06 pm »

Missing treasure is always fun
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 21, 2023, 03:13:37 pm »

The World Of Bones - Succession World - A Dark Fortress

So, time to decide.  She grabbed a dog and flipped it.  If it landed on its back she would go for the treasure.  If it landed on its front she would go stop an army.

It landed on its back.  So Treasure it was!  Time to find the Worshipful Deeps, a sard amulet, which the goblin Ngebzo Hatredtyphoon wanted.  Which was in the Bad Honey in Menacegorge.

Now where to find where that was!

So she decided to ask Rith for more information.

Rith showed her on her map where it was.  To the west…oh boy.  She wondered if she would have to go around the pits?

She stepped out, into the rain, to look at her map.

It was close.  It was also a DARK Fortress on the OTHER side of Dark Pits and the lake.  So it was would a LONG and ROUND about walk.  Still, she might get some water from the lake on the way there.  Or from the river as the lake was close to the pits.

She headed westwards, bypassing the hillocks, returning to the river.  Where she had a drink, refilled one of the skins, and had a meal, and went to sleep after starting a campfire.

She woke up in the middle of the night, drank some more water, ate some more rabbit, restarted the fire, and went back to sleep.

Weird enough she still woke up hungry and thirsty.    She drank from the river, twice, ate the last of the rabbit and ate some mountain goat.  She was finally full. 

On the way marching towards the Dark Fortress she found a Hamlet surrounded by trenches.  Something she had never seen before.  The place was called Metdikes.  She decided to go to the Mead Hall or City Hall or whatever the government seat was called to ask about the Dark Fortress.

The Hall, or what ever it was, was empty.  A bad sign?   She had noticed a lot of groups moving about.  Even in the night.  Were armies patrolling?

Snow White pondered moving on to the Dark Fortress.  Or should she search the Hamlet for signs of life?  Had it been attacked?  Had populace been wiped out?  Were they all out on patrol?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author’s Note:

1 to 3 Army.  4 to 6 Treasure.

I rolled a 4.  Treasure it was!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 03:16:05 pm by callisto8413 »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 28