Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 28

Author Topic: The World Of Bones - Succession World - Ended  (Read 30092 times)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The World Of Bones - Succession World - Players Wanted!
« Reply #300 on: March 08, 2023, 11:07:48 pm »

The World Of Bones - Succession World - A New Title

Snow White went to explore the rest of the site.

She found a book called Do You Know The Human by Kedom Helmcatch.  She picked it up and flipped through it.

She found another book called The Market : Common Practice by Kedom Helmcatch.

Then she found what could be a shrine.  With many levels, statues, and it looked like a indoor pool.

She explored some more and found nothing.  So she claimed ths site, renaming it The Paddle of Lances and named herself Lady Snow White.

And so the story ends.(1)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author’s OOC Note:

1. Mostly because it had been two weeks and also I want to see what happens when a Adventurer claims a site when the bandits are not there.

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16510

StrikaAmaru will be told the save is ready and available for their turn.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 09, 2023, 12:23:50 am »

She found a book called Do You Know The Human by Kedom Helmcatch.  She picked it up and flipped through it.

For some reason I imagined this to be quite similar to the tradition of dog flipping.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 09, 2023, 04:56:23 am »

Sure, why not; you pick up the book, flip it, and you read where it opens when it lands. What you do with that information, is entirely up to you. /s

(this could be made into a really weird kind of divination; eff it, if people can divine the future from tea leaves and coffee grits, they can also divine it from random book passages too).

Picking up the save; I'm still at work, so I won't start playing for around 6 hours. First thing I'll do is a Legends export, to see if any of the plans I made are still valid.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 05:03:41 am by StrikaAmaru »
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 09, 2023, 05:44:21 am »

Sure, why not; you pick up the book, flip it, and you read where it opens when it lands. What you do with that information, is entirely up to you. /s

(this could be made into a really weird kind of divination; eff it, if people can divine the future from tea leaves and coffee grits, they can also divine it from random book passages too).

I'll have to remember this when my turn comes. First codice I find will be flipped and we'll see what Fate has to offer.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 09, 2023, 10:18:00 am »

Alright; the export was done, the lore was explored, and luckily all the relevant dramatis personae are still alive (or undead, as the case may be). So it is my pleasure to introduce you to the beaut… um… magn… errr… glorious fortress of TowerEnded.

12.1: Prologue.

The purpose of this turn is to annihilate the Tower of SavageSculpted and re-kill human mummy Pestrat PerplexedBrain.

My chosen embark spot is way oop north, in a little warm spot (as opposed to scorching) near said tower.

It sits at the intersection of 3 biomes, which is honestly its best feature; the map is very metal-poor, having only garnierite in the mountain and malachite under the plains. The desert biome has no metals at all, which is why I’ve embarked on only one tile of it.

The embark is also extremely shallow; the surface is at 149, and the magma sea is at 121. Practically, there are only 10 unbroken layers under the surface; after that it’s caves one after the other, until the magma sea.

I’ll expect actual fortress play to be pretty boring, and interesting events to be pretty thin on the ground. As a result, the usual ‘state of the fortress’ reports will end up pretty rare… a problem when I’m aiming for an update every two days. So, my turn write-ups will have to be supplemented by Legends mode.

That’s perfectly fine with me, by the way. I’ve been neglecting world-building and story-telling in my last year or so of DF writing, so this is a welcome change. Not that I’m unhappy with what I wrote, but it’s been driven completely by the narrative, and mostly written out-of-character; I was writing annals, not stories. The World of Bones lets me change that tendency.

For role-playing purposes, I’ll be playing in the dwarven civ The Cudgel of Time. These guys have beef with undead humans in general, not only with Pestrat:

Until very recently, The Cudgel of Time has fought only humans or undead humans: nine separate human undead groups, and two groups of living humans (with one attack each). As a result, the roleplay will picture them as hating undead, mistrusting humans, and REALLY hating undead humans, more than anything in the world.

Intelligent undead aren’t regarded very well either; but given the lack of conventional necromancers in the World of Bones, other kinds of undead are pretty limited (not absent, though, as some necromantic experiments do show up in the refuse stockpile lists).

They’re still mostly neutral towards goblins… for now. They were never attacked by them until the winter of 1056, and less than 50 years of fighting have yet to sink into the cultural zeitgeist the same way that a millennium of undead raids did. And that’s before factoring in that dwarves have mostly WON those conflicts, or the difference between fighting living goblins versus undead anything. But goblins being goblins, the dislike keeps mounting… though it mostly manifests as disdain, rather than bitter virulent hatred.

When I signed up for the World of Bones, fighting a Tower in fort mode wasn’t even close to my goals; what I wanted at first was to fire up Adventure mode, find the most easily-available necro-slab, and have my adventurer read it.

But the World of Bones doesn’t have any necromantic slabs. In 1100 years and 40 civilizations total (25 dwarven plus 15 human), there’s not a single death god who ever sponsored a necromancer. All the necro towers are from human mummies, who were disturbed from their tombs and started walking the world afterwards, acting very much like necromancers do -- join civilizations until they’re suspected to be unaging, leave, form their own faction mostly from zombies, and either go on a rampage against all in sight, or raise (heh) a tower and pass the centuries writing.

(This carries the interesting implication that ‘mummy’ is a misnomer, and this particular kind of undead looks completely normal. That, or all civilized creatures don’t see anything wrong with a walking talking dried-out husk swaddled in bandages -- which is way funnier, but sadly doesn’t clear the “too dumb to keep breathing on their own” threshold).
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 09, 2023, 11:11:05 am »

Mummies build the towers?   I never noticed that.   No necro-slabs?   Damn Death Gods are lazy....

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 09, 2023, 12:05:13 pm »

Damn, I've never seen that happen in 0.47 that there's no necro slabs (without disabling secrets) in a world older than 100 years.  :o

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 09, 2023, 12:27:02 pm »

I thought that was intentional, as all forms of immortality are absent. Cannot roll divination die too many and become a vampire or werebeast. No necromancer slabs. You might be able to be revived by a mummy.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 09, 2023, 01:45:43 pm »

nice turn callisto. May Lady Snow White rest at her new home, in relative peace.

ooooh I love legends posts.  So we've got a lot of mummies and no slabs? 

looking forward to this attempt to eradicate the denizens of Savagesculpted. I might learn something about the missions / raiding system.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 10, 2023, 06:05:43 am »

With all the worlds I've heard of being overwhelmed by necromancers, it's kind of strange to realize that the World of Bones lacks them.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 10, 2023, 11:02:12 am »

With all the worlds I've heard of being overwhelmed by necromancers, it's kind of strange to realize that the World of Bones lacks them.

But somehow we have lots and lots and lots of undead.  I guess the mummies filled in the empty niche left behind by the lack of Necromancers?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 06:52:48 pm by callisto8413 »

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 11, 2023, 02:09:44 pm »

12.2: The Founding of TowerEnded

Due to its skills and Our needs, the dwarven farmer Muthkat BridgeBow is offered a position in The Massive Axe for the purpose of establishing the new Dwarven Fort of TowerEnded.

Should it choose to accept, it will be granted the positions of Bookkeeper and Manager.

The Crown awaits a response no later than Felsite 1st, 1101. Failure to respond will be regarded as agreement.

By order of Her Majesty Queen Etur WireFierce, goblin queen of the Cudgel of Time, so shall it be.

It was all an act, of course; this fort had been cooked up between itself and three others since 1072, ever since dwarves from the Craft of Conjunctions have reclaimed their ancestral mountainhome of ScarredGlazes from goblins. It gave all dwarves hope, knowing that a conquered mountainhome can go from 13,000 goblins to zero in a single decade.

Then, the project was presented to the clueless goblin ‘Queen’, who cheerily accepted it as a means of securing dwarven good-will for herself. To be fair, re-killing old Pestrat really would create some good-will, but for the group who did so, not for the king or queen; let alone for some green fool on a blood-soaked throne. Little Etur still thought in goblin terms, where all praise goes to the leader regardless of who does the work. Muthkat could work with that.

Meanwhile, dwarven interests were being served threefold: by establishing a dwarven outpost far from the control of the increasingly-goblinized court, by training dwarves in both martial arts and the old unmarred dwarven culture, and not lastly by ending one of their old enemies. It had been six hundred years since Pestrat PerplexedBrain had conquered RelievedPoke and slain all within; but did the undead really think retiring off into a tower and dedicating his unlife to writing books is enough to be forgiven? Or forgotten?

All had progressed according to dwarven plans, barring delays from goblin incompetence: the four conspirators had taken care to be ‘selected by the crown’, gathered in the hillock of OilDeath, and now, just days away from the beginning of Hematite, they and three more were finally leaving towards their chosen fortress. If only they could have started in winter, when temperatures were pleasant for travel… but no, it had to be at the start of summer.

Quietly cursing all the wheeling-and-dealing that delayed them, Muthkat climbed into the back of the wagon, and settled for two weeks of travel.

In her lavish office in EctoTomes, Queen Etur pondered on her spies’ reports; they had claimed full success in their tasks, of course. Even better, the spies set to spy on those spies concurred.

(This might also have been a sign of them colluding against her, but you can’t function if you’re paranoid about every single thing. Etur had to draw the line somewhere, and she was quite confident drawing it here).

It was inevitable that those who lost power would desperately seek to regain it. So when grassroots conspiracies sprung in taverns, temples and guild halls, aiming to topple her rule, she didn’t even raise an eyebrow. She only sought to bend them to her goals. TowerEnded was only one of these projects: yet another group of fools who were shouting the ancient cry: “why are you in charge, when it should be me”? Oh, they claimed to reinstate the old glory days of their ancestors, but their long-dead ancestors are not in charge, are they? It was always one of the living, one of them, who would come to rule.

She could have easily slain them, but what’s the point of that? No, much better they be turned against other threats; there was hardly a shortage of them, after all. So, she had opened her treasury, and granted them what they sought so fervently: a fortress to serve as their power base. But with it, a task. They, and others like them, would foolishly throw themselves against the Chosen of Death until either they perished, the Chosen was broken, or they had weakened each other enough to be wiped out by an external force. Three possible outcomes, each with its gains and losses.

She was aiming for the first, with a dash of third. Then she could swoop in with her own troops, raze the weakened Tower, and ‘avenge the fallen heroes of TowerEnded’.

The second outcome was arguably the worst: it would leave a group of well-trained and politically-empowered separatist dwarves, who may very well kill her and take the throne among the adulatory cries of their kin.

And the last… well, the last was complicated. She could not be that external force: it would have sparked discontent if any of her forces would go to raze SavageSculpted before all in TowerEnded were dead -- even the dullest and least politically-involved peasants would have correctly spotted the kill-steal underway, and her reputation would drop precipitously. So that was straight out, barring some amazing windfall.

Her other choice would be to conspire with her secret allies from the Disloyalty of Soot, convincing them to siege the weakened Tower. This in turn would put undue benefits in the hands of their civilization, and may in turn embolden them to break their current arrangement. It would be quite an inconvenience, if they’d attack her in truth, not merely the pre-established attacks that she provided intel for. She could not suppress a smile at this; she usually couldn’t, when she recalled how she obtained her throne. Poor Osta, so obsessed with personal strength, and so dismissive of all things subtle. No wonder he ruled for barely a year.

But, back to the matter at hand, her first sabotage of TowerEnded had already been done: the delay in leaving had already hopelessly compromised the well-calculated optimal path for new fortress establishment. Her would-be enemies were focused on returning to their old ways, not to take advantage of any new unexpected situations; typical dwarves, in this aspect. So far, so good.

The fort’s long term project stated a limit of 120 citizens; she would then take care to send only the least-skilled and intelligent, plus the occasional uncomfortable dissident. She’d also have to slip in some well-trained individuals to avoid raising suspicions, and she couldn’t stop other skilled dwarves joining of their own free will. But she had confidence in her ability to leave TowerEnded just weak enough to serve her interests.

OOC:

Etur is listed in Legends as both queen of dwarves and member of the Disloyalty of Soot, a goblin civilization. I’m guessing that’s because the Disloyalty of Soot have conquered the location she was in, but I choose to roleplay it as a secret alliance. The DoS get intel, easy fights, and loot. Etur gets a potential enemy held under truce, and a force of killers who remove problematic groups and individuals without being traced to her. And all this for the price of looted hamlets, kidnapped children, and dead citizens. Etur couldn’t have found a cheaper deal.

I’m starting to develop a bit of respect for Etur; she’s very young as far as goblins go (born in 1009), but despite this, she’s been involved in 94 battles. She got her throne in late 1058, after the previous goblin king of dwarves died defending the ancestral mountainhome of ElderCraft from the Disloyalty of Soot. She has exactly one living relative: a great-grandfather who’s a Prophet. Aside from him, all her ancestors are dead, and so is her only husband.

The RNG has been particularly kind to me in this embark: the group name, The Massive Axe, was picked by the RNG; initially I wanted to use something related to killing undead, but once I saw what the game offered I changed my mind. Then two miners have the best names a miner can have: our expedition leader is Kivish MineCaught, and the fort’s dedicated miner is Zasit ConfinedCopper. ‘Course, the RNG then ‘compensated’ by handing me two other guys with ‘paddled’ in the name (Udib ChuckedPaddled, our third miner and mason, and Ezum WrungPaddled, carpenter and stonecrafter).

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 11, 2023, 02:39:46 pm »

The Massive Axe is a good, strong, name.  The RNG is surely on your side.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 11, 2023, 06:21:30 pm »

Udib ChuckedPaddled, our third miner and mason, and Ezum WrungPaddled

surely Ezum and Udib would make a great side story. "We used to have a canoe... now we stick to the mines."

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 12, 2023, 03:57:36 am »

I'm still eagerly awaiting the addition of boats in this game, maybe one day.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 28