Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 28

Author Topic: The World Of Bones - Succession World - Ended  (Read 30096 times)

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
Re: The World Of Bones - Succession World - Players Wanted!
« Reply #315 on: March 12, 2023, 11:26:30 am »

But somehow we have lots and lots and lots of undead.  I guess the mummies filled in the empty niche left behind by the lack of Necromancers?

:D

That's all I'm going to say for now; will get into more detail when it's time for Pestrat's interlude.
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 12, 2023, 03:44:50 pm »

I smell forbidden necromancy . . or is that just you cooking again?

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 14, 2023, 11:14:45 am »

12.3: TowerEnded 1101-1103 (Era of the Expedition Leader)

A thin mist had rolled down from the mountains, on the morning of 12th Hematite when Muthkat and its six companions arrived at the foot of the Tooth of Sinew. The flat plain of the grasslands was broken only by a single pond, and sparse trees were dotting the land.

The seven dwarves debarked, and started planning:

“Should we dig into the mountain”? Spoke Udib, their miner and mason.

“I’d rather keep closer to this pond”, said Kivish MineCaught, their expedition leader and fellow conspirator of Muthkat’s. “We don’t know how the caves look, this may be the only source of water we’ll ever get.

There were no counterpoints to that statement. The seven dwarves kept discussing their future home until the sun rose and the mists receded. Kivish planned an entryway that could be sealed with hatches if needed. It opened to farm plots furrowed in the soft sand, and connected to a future central staircase. The plan was to go through stone columns to bypass the caverns; ideally, they would reach magma and dig a small smithy, before digging for copper and likey breaching into the second or third caverns.

But that was for later; in the remainder of this year, they all had plenty to do much nearer the surface.

Ilral, their woodcutter, had already been eyeing some nearby gingko and birch trees for logging. Well, so-called woodcutter; she was barely a novice. More importantly, she was a skilled axe-dwarf who’d served as caravan guard before becoming involved in the conspiracy, and ‘retiring to more peaceful pursuits’. That at least had been a brazen lie, as she fully intended to become TowerEnded’s first squad leader; Ilral did not pursue peace.

The jobs for the first days were decided upon. The three miners would only dig; it was paramount to secure their belongings in a space below ground, in sand and stone. The woodcutter would only cut trees; and the last 3 dwarves would do their best to collect a few fruits and berries from the surface, until space for a food stockpile was excavated.

Once that’s done, two of them would haul food indoors, while the carpenter would labor in an above-ground workshop to make a fort’s first batch of wooden necessities -- buckets, wheelbarrows, two step ladders to pick some apples, and six beds for a small dormitory.

There was no true soil at the foot of the mountain, only a thin layer of yellow sand that supported the sparse vegetation of the grasslands, where the grass didn’t give way to the Desert of Equaling. Under the one layer of sand lay a large span of obsidian, 4 to 5 urists tall; either a result of some ancient cataclysm, or perhaps laid down at the making of the world. They had already decided, before even leaving, that this area would be kept for housing and temples. Under that, the crafting areas of the fort would be made, in the 5 urists of diorite above the basalt layer holding the first cavern.

Several designs had been proposed: separate areas dedicated to different crafts, three sub-forts that could be easily cut off from one another, even a human-inspired castle with housing and most industries in an above-ground fortified keeps. But in the end, what won out was the old tried and tested model of a central stair with rooms radiating out from it. Plant processing, thread processing, and food processing chambers will stack themselves neatly in the diorite layer. One layer is left as buffer; the last, on z-level 139, will become the site of a general crafting area: stone, gems, wood, and the craftable refuse (bones, skulls, horn, teeth and shells) will all be processed here.

One month later, some measure of stability had been gained. A starter fort had been dug in the soft sand under the surface. The farming areas would likely last unchanged for the entire life of the fort; perhaps the northern room would be further expanded for grazers, but aside there’d be little need for change. For now, their wagon goods would share a room with their animals, until their proper place was excavated. And Muthkat was in the process of getting an office; an extremely modest office:

The surface now held only a few bits and bobs that would soon be moved indoors, an obsolete carpenter’s workshop, and two farm plots that were more aspirational than usable; the aboveground plants that might have grown in them were still laying in the food stockpile, unbrewed and uneaten.

If, by impossibility, a tower siege were to spawn at the beginning of autumn, the fort would survive with nothing lost. It would be an incredibly slow-moving fort, with only seven dwarves in it, but nothing would be truly needed, or missed, until the siege would lift.

1101.05.23 Greetings, my dear Ducim! I’ve recently come into the possession of a chair and a table, so of course I just had to write you a letter! A very short, very rushed letter, because you’d not believe how much work there is to do, and how little time we all have. We’ve come here on the 12th of Hematite, and today may well be the first time I’ve had more than five minutes at a time.

Starting in summer has rushed us even worse than the old accounts have claimed. The sweet pods were nearly left unplanted; we’ve all pitched in to put the damned seeds in the ground, and we still have three left over until next spring. But plant them we did, and we’ll have some syrup for the traders.

We’ve secured ourselves indoors, of course, with all the goods and animals received on the embark. This allowed us to finally get a good look at them, and, well… there’s a reason they were cheap. All of them have some fault; either they’re small, or sickly, or lethargic, or some combination of the above. The lot of them are getting butchered as soon as their replacements are either born, hatched, or purchased:

Five days ago, we started carving the fort proper; this is why I even have time off, we’re all waiting for the crafting room to be dug out. Then it’s off to hauling stone, so Ezum can start making some diorite crafts and Udib can start cutting blocks.

1101.07.16 Traders have arrived, without a liaison; if they try to blame us for their absence, do let me know. They’ve also brought only steel anvils, no iron ones; because you know what a 3-month old fort can definitely not afford? Steel anvils. Kivish had some words about this. The good thing from that whole shouting match is that the caravan does in fact carry iron and silver goods, so we’ll have a small but steady source of good metals.

We’re not completely destitute, mind; we do have seven barrels of syrup (and I’m so glad we got to plant those few sweet pods at the start of summer), and some diorite crafts. Delivering the crafts has proven to be a thorough annoyance, though: a flock of buzzards kept swooping for them, and the dwarves hauling them by extension. You’d think after the first two dozen they’d figure out diorite isn’t edible, but no; they kept going at it. We eventually gave up on trading crafts this year, that’s how much of an annoyance those flying rats have been.

We have little need (or wares) for most of the caravan’s goods; Kivish picked four metal bars in case of moods, a few barrels and bags, a bit of cheap silk, leather, and military goods that require leather -- waterskins, backpacks, and quivers. In the end, trade concludes with a pitiful balance:

I’ll try to fork this letter on them; I hope it will reach you, and find you well.

Your dearest friend, Muthkat BridgeBow.

(Kivish’s private notes):

1101.08.19 The fort receives its first batch of migrants; five people of no notable skill. One of them is an adequate miner, and she’ll effectively replace Udib in our miner trio; Udib will be a dedicated mason from now on. Two have smithing skills -- an adept furnace operator, and an accomplished metalcrafter. For now all four are sent off hauling, while the last bits of the abovefort are getting finished.

The miners remove the nearby slopes from the mountain’s base; only one passageway is left, and we build a few traps in it. Realistically, it’s going to primarily catch animals, but it will also force any invaders coming from the mountain to either travel over traps, or risk climbing down a steep mountain edge:

As the new year starts, we’ve come to a point where we can expand downwards; hopefully, the staircase we have marked out at the beginning of the fort won’t run into any caverns, lakes, or the magma sea itself.

1102.01.21 At least one of those hopes is dashed: a corner of the staircase opens into the third cavern.

We quickly explore the cave; it has three separate lakes, each with its own connection to the edge. If we intend to secure it, it’s going to be a pain… but secure it we must, the last thing we can afford is a forgotten beast dropping by right now, before we’ve even started training a military.

Some nearby veins of malachite get carved out, before we miners head downwards looking for the magma layer. The rest of the fort begin the doubtlessly-frustrating process of walling up the cavern with Udib’s diorite blocks.

1102.01.24 Three days later, migrants arrive! Twenty new dwarves for TowerEnded, including two children. Their numbers include one legendary mason, Ezum GlazeSabres, who’s welcomed to the crafting level with great enthusiasm. For now, he’ll carve diorite blocks alongside Udib, but in the long run, he’ll be handed the entire obsidian stockpile to carve furniture. Another notable dwarf is Lokum LancerSeer, who’s skilled or proficient in every smithing job. One Degel DoorGlazed is a high master leatherworker, one Kikrost BronzeFloors is a great bone carver. Besides these notable dwarves, we now have three new miners, two woodcutters, and a weaver.

With 29 able-bodied dwarves, sealing the cavern proceeds much quicker; as much as possible, we respect the boundaries of TowerEnded. Meanwhile, we miners have found a warm wall on level 120:

Exploratory shafts prove that level 118 is completely cold, so 119 must be right above the magma sea; we punch a hole in it to check:

So it’s settled: level 119 is where our first smithy is going to be. Four smelters will be soon built, to smelt copper from malachite, and a forge gets built from our only anvil and a block of obsidian:

1102.04.01 Summer opens with a zombie invasion; not even a year in, and Pestrat has found us! There are only 26 zombies, quite small for a siege, but all except one are former dwarves; we’re all sure this was done on purpose to frighten us.

They emerge from the mountain, despite the tower being off to the south; this also means they’ll travel over the little cage trap corridor we made last winter, and 8 of them are already dealt with:

We take refuge inside; all of us are accounted for, all of our animals are accounted for, and we lock the hatches.

1102.04.25 TowerEnded has its first dwarven death: Ilral TatooedTrade. It had no relation to the zombies on the surface: she drowned in the cavern lake. I do recall there was a tree on the edge of the lake, and we decided to cut it down so the wall can be shorter; we’d have left it well alone if we’d have known it would cost us such a dwarf.

She will surely be missed; on a personal level by the many of us who were her friends, and by TowerEnded as a whole, as we were relying on her axedwarf skills to train and lead our squads. Instead, she sits at the bottom of a lake, beyond our ability to retrieve her.

A slab was engraved and built on the entrance to the cavern.

Regarding the surface, we have reached a conclusion: we’ll profit that Pestrat did not send any kobolds yet, and will trap the zombie horde. This should allow us to break the siege, despite our complete lack of a military. A winding corridor is dug through an unused room, originally intended to be part of the grazer’s pasture:

By the start of autumn, there are no more loose zombies in TowerEnded:

1102.07.15 The trade caravan arrives, and, wonder of wonders, has brought iron anvils. We buy all five of them, and we’ll expand the smithy as soon as we finish with the cavern.

1102.08.19 Eight more migrants have arrived. A master weaponsmith, Medtob SideWhip, is sent straight to the forge, where he can create some copper axes and crossbows to begin with. Three others have arrived with marksdwarf skills, making five crossbow-dwarves in TowerEnded; perhaps it’s time we create our first military squads.

Two squads have been created: one of crossbow-dwarves, with six members, and one of axe-dwarves. The axe-dwarves will receive copper axes and shields, and be given no jobs except training in a small barracks by the entry.

Lokum can make their armor later, after we expand the smithy with three more forges (plus a glass furnace and a kiln)

The zombies have been divested of their weapons and armor; they wore no iron, and very little silver; they did have a bit more bronze, which is certainly better than the copper we can excavate.

1102.11.26 The first birth in TowerEnded: Domas FootSyrup was born to two of the migrants from the spring wave.

1103.02.11 sees the arrival of 23 new migrants; this pushes TowerEnded to 63, above the 50-citizen threshold, and means I’ll cede authority to a mayor, come summer.

1103-02-13 Nazom SeduceAura the Lie of Veils comes to the third cavern; this beast is a long-time enemy of ours, having plagued the Cudgel of Time since 77. BittenLashes, ElderCraft, and TorchHumid have had to deal with this creature enough times that we lost count. BoltsUrn, when it was owned by Floor of Perplexing, was also repeatedly devastated by it.

This time, it stops before our walls; it has no way in, but it also refuses to leave elsewhere.

1103.04.27 A new beast has arrived, beside Nazom; it’s an enormous hairy scorpion bearing a long, straight horn; it undulates rhythmically. We cannot find any mention of it in any records. Unless we’ll be later corrected, we must conclude this is the first time anyone has seen this creature. We have named it Enira.

Enira then dies very quickly to Nazom.

One of my last acts as expedition leader is to establish another axe-dwarf squad; the mayor, whoever they may be, can deal with housing and training them. I’ve ensured they have a full set of armor and weapons; copper armor and weapons, but that’s what we have.

1103-04-17 Kel TundraGlazed was selected as mayor. She’s a middle-aged dwarfette who arrived in the spring migration wave. She’s installed herself in the mayoral offices that we’ve dug out at the end of last year, and has officially taken over the fort.

[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 14, 2023, 11:42:46 am »

Well, you handled the undead better than I do.  Flesh Balls?   I have to look that up.

Anyway, TowerEnded seems to be doing well.  Once the military is ready you can start cleaning out the region of all the undead.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 14, 2023, 01:54:44 pm »

But in the end, what won out was the old tried and tested model of a central stair with rooms radiating out from it.

it is tough to deviate from the all-encompassing 'central staircase' design. I have had success with dual staircases with symmetrical planning...

enjoyable and lengthy update. looks like the basics are sorted out. lets see if the corpses remain a simple nuisance, or become a real issue!

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 15, 2023, 04:03:49 am »

it is tough to deviate from the all-encompassing 'central staircase' design. I have had success with dual staircases with symmetrical planning...

I'd like to eventually deviate from the central staircase, because with the central staircase I can't figure out how to add a mist generator. I'd put one in the center tile of my 3x3 stairs, but I'm worried it would push dwarves down stairs, and result in 'sploded dwarves.

In TowerEnded it's not critical, but in, say, an evil biome, a mist generator in a central location can be a fort saver -- both for happiness, and for washing away contaminants.

And I'm so hyper-focused on optimizing travel times, that any designs besides the central staircase are just abhorrent to me :/

Flesh Balls?   I have to look that up.
They're aquatic little, uh, balls of flesh. That's pretty much it.

I smell forbidden necromancy... or is that just you cooking again?
How dare you, my cooking is spectacular!

This is clearly forbidden necromancy.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 17, 2023, 04:29:35 am »

12.4: Interlude: Pestrat PerplexedBrain, and other enemies of the Cudgel of Time.

Spoiler: Rough Map (click to show/hide)

In life, Pestrat was part of The Honorable Empires; the Cudgel of Time has been at war with them, too, but not during Pestrat’s life. He lived between 478 and 558, rising to the rank of General; this earned him a tomb. He didn’t get to rest much in it, as he was disturbed a mere year later by another human. Surprisingly, she survived the experience, and even successfully stole an artifact gem out of the tomb. She later died of old age, which is as close as characters get to winning the game.

Pestrat never fought any dwarves in his first life; his entire military career was spent fighting the forces of goblins and older mummies. In 503, he had his only child, a son: he was killed in 515 by a forgotten beast. He became a general in 545, and spent the next 6 years of his life mopping up the mess left behind by Laro TunnelFlashes.

Laro was a Law-Giver of the same civilization, before rising from the dead in 314 and then generally failing at unlife: he never built a tower, he never had apprentices or other allies, and his history is full of botched intrigues. He finally got off his ass in 542, and started attacking surrounding civilizations… before getting caught and imprisoned in 543. In his absence, all his neighbors, living and not, ganged up on his faction, The Wheels of Incineration, and rendered it extinct. By 551 they had lost all holdings, and Pestrat is responsible for a good chunk of that.

Laro spent over 400 years in the clink, before the site where he was held in has been razed. He then ran to the opposite corner of the world and made himself a crappy camp in the south-west, where he’s the only inhabitant. He then proceeded to do absolutely nothing for the next century and change. Hilariously, the one-man ‘faction’ controlling that shithole is named The Infallible League; I suppose you can’t fail if you never try to do anything in the first place.

With the Wheels of Incineration annihilated, Pestrat then tussled with two other site governments: The Plated Seeds (a necro-faction founded by one Stasbo SticksSpike, who never made a tower, barely conquered two sites personally, and got perma-killed by a giant in 439), and The Matched Memories, the government of SoldierJacks. These guys, by the way, claim to have 236 fights with The Cudgel of Time, which is weird because The Cudgel has no record of them.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Pestrat went the mummy route just to show these losers how it’s done: after his rising in 559, he founded a group, and wandered, conquered, or slaughtered in the world for 44 years as he pleased. It was during this time that he earned the enmity of the Cudgel of Times: he razed a hamlet named RelievedPoke, that the dwarves had conquered themselves 70-odd years prior from The Divine Kingdoms of Ash, a different human civ that warred with dwarves at that time.

Then, in 603, he left war behind, rejoined  his old civilization, and settled in a hamlet. He married once, to a 113 year-old woman who died after 2 years. Then, he had 2 other lovers, and was appointed administrator of a conquered hillocks.

In 634, once people inevitably noticed he’s not aging, he fled, and created the tower of SavageSculpted. The next five centuries were spent alone in this place, with only zombies for company, while writing tome after tome. He never attacked anyone (until 1102, when The Cremated War was launched against the dwarves of TowerEnded), though he’s being reliably robbed by kobolds. It works out for them around half the time, when they cart off gems and crafts (if anyone ever passes through their cave, MiredCracked, the place should be covered in little trinkets). When it doesn’t work out, though, they contribute to the Tower’s increasing zombie population; about a third of them are kobolds. This is going to be a pain when it’ll be time to fight them; zombie kobolds remain trap-avoid.

Now granted, one fight 500 years ago might seem like a poor casus belli, but frankly that’s the most I could find. I wanted to tackle a tower, and every other mummy who created a tower has also never fought dwarves; only other humans, or the occasional goblins. Conversely, the mummies that do fight never raised towers, and most of them are either dead or isolated/exiled (like ol’ Laro).

The Cudgel of Time’s rich military history, as far as the dwarves themselves tell it, has four factions that fought dwarves in significant numbers:

25 fights between 542 and 551, against The Wheels of Incineration, Laro’s faction; yep, it’s the same war Pestrat fought in.

(Obviously, there was nothing I could target here for gameplay: the faction’s been already wiped out, and Laro himself just isn’t a challenge deserving of a fort; maybe an adventurer, at most)

That conflict started in 542, when The Wheels of Incineration conquered two dwarven hamlets, UmbralEsteems and BlushedUnions. Then Laro got imprisoned, there’d been a few fights in the middle of nowhere, and then dwarves conquered 5 other sites from the now-dead faction. Not the original hamlets though, those were snapped up by other civilizations in the ensuing feeding frenzy.

20 fights between 1062 and present, against The Ruthlessness of Scales, a very large goblin civilization. Also a surprisingly vulnerable goblin civilization, as their demonic master got killed in 1074 and they have no other demons in their ranks. They’re situated right next to the Cudgel of Time’s main holdings (and I’ve tried sitting them in the same pic, but differences in zooming in different maps ruined that for me).

14 fights between 1056 and present, against The Disloyalty of Soot, that goblin civ that the Queen is ‘part’ of, and that I role-played as secret allies with her. These little shits are on a full-on warpath, they have 22 ongoing wars, with dwarves, humans, undead, other goblins, and themselves?

Man, they’re serious about that ‘disloyalty’ part /jk.

Their holdings are directly south from TowerEnded, mostly sitting in the desert. Their demon master died a long time ago, in 566, and their population is pitiful: 313 goblins, 95 humans and 89 dwarves.

Another interesting little detail about the Disloyalty of Soot is that the evil biome around their fortress is dissipating: here it is, in 1053 and 1105:

They’re not the only ones, either: the southern fort of GladeHorrors is undergoing the same process, and has ‘misplaced’ 10,000 goblins in the process too:

12 fights between 558 and 787, though technically until the present, with The Hardiness of Treaties, another necro faction based around the Tower of TrustGirdle. The catch here is that The Cudgel of Time is the civ that initiated hostilities, attacking the Hardiness of Treaties in 538 and conquering a whole bunch of locations -- among them, UmbralEsteems and BlushedUnions (the same two hamlets that Laro conquered four years later). The narrative of long-delayed vengeance doesn’t really fit, when dwarves have both started the conflict, and actually won.

The legends export for this world is really something; the first one I made, in 1053, sits at 2.68 GB, of which almost 2 GB are text. Poor Legends Viewer takes 3+ minutes to load the entire thing, and has noticeable lag when navigating to a new page. The current one is predictably even bigger; not by much, though: about 2.75 GB.

By the way, there’s something going on with goblins in this world - their numbers have dropped catastrophically: in 1053 they had almost 204,000 individuals, which dropped to ~97,000 by 1086, and they’re holding at that level for now.

Also, a dwarven civ named The Iron of Tours is somehow busted, it never loads and borks the current viewer, too; have to close it and open a new one from the ‘Summary’ button.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 17, 2023, 09:12:21 am »

The deserts are eating the evil biomes?  And the goblins are dying out?   Or maybe not giving birth to enough offspring to cover the normal deaths?  Interesting.  Is there anyway to figure out what is going on?!?!

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 17, 2023, 10:02:08 am »

Desertification in this world, im not surprised. It is hot everywhere, the rain can boil someone but goblins dying out is interesting. Guess they aren't built for heat.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 17, 2023, 01:07:22 pm »

Desertification in this world, im not surprised. It is hot everywhere, the rain can boil someone but goblins dying out is interesting. Guess they aren't built for heat.

Oh no....I was worried about trying to protect civilization from monsters and crime and the undead and it will likely be climate change that kills the world.   :-\  This is embarrassing....

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 17, 2023, 02:05:39 pm »

i saw your post asking about what might cause this. I have no idea honestly. it could have something to do with post-worldgen taking into account natural savagery of the biome and this is 'fighting back' against the goblins?

I don't think temperature actually weighs in on these things. but it does fit the overall narrative of death world that melts goblins.

wonderfully detailed history-post strika!

These guys, by the way, claim to have 236 fights with The Cudgel of Time, which is weird because The Cudgel has no record of them.

this is the easy way to gain a reputation. just lie

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 17, 2023, 03:07:36 pm »

The evil regions around the Dark Fortresses are spread by the evil ruler, I think. Those can "fade away". Haven't seen it other than in world gen.

Wiki says (emphasis added):
Evil regions may exist either on their own (where they are known as "primordial" evil regions) or they may be caused by the presence of demons or necromancers ruling over a site in it (known as "circumstantial" evil regions). An evil region possesses spheres associated with the entities, if any, inhabiting it, which influences the surroundings to some extent. E.G: Blight, death, and disease regions kill plant life, while nightmare regions are home to bogeymen. Primordial evil areas are eternal, but circumstantial evil regions may fade away if there is no activity in the area, making it possible to revert it back to normal. Presumably, slaying the demons or necromancers responsible for the corruption is the way to do so.v0.47.01

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 18, 2023, 05:22:21 am »

I was under the impression that evil regions fading was something the only happened in world gen.

Also with all the wars goblins get into it doesn't surprise me that they're slowly dying out.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 20, 2023, 06:06:58 pm »

12.5 TowerEnded 1103.04 - 1105.12 (Era of Kel the Mayor)
(Muthkat’s notes)

1103.04.13 Merchants from The Rosy Nation have visited us; they’ve brought a great deal of goods, and more importantly news that we’re supposed to be ‘at peace’ with the miserable liar who just attacked us last year:

We attempted to set things straight, but I get the feeling humans don’t believe us. I’m suspecting that was Pestrat’s plan in the first place: pretend to be peaceful, while quietly removing his enemies. Even if we succeed in killing him, we’re still coming out bad. Kivish shows the merchants our collection of caged zombies, and this seems to finally change their minds. Good.

We’re still going to kill Pestrat, and deal with any repercussions later. Definitely not this year though, our troops are still too inexperienced.

To my surprise, the first axe-dwarf squad has acquired significant skill; I’m used to these things taking much longer. The second axe-dwarf squad is less skilled, but it also didn’t have full equipment until mid-autumn.

I’ll ask the squad leaders if there’s any benefit in traveling to old abandoned forts; ScarredGlazes has been unoccupied since 1080, and is supposed to be full of treasures:

Once we’re sure we won’t be attacked, it may be profitable to send troops over; to acquire treasure at least, if not skills. Mayor Kel technically has authority over these things, but I’m willing to bet I can persuade her, especially if the squad leaders are going to back me up. Until then, there are still a gaggle of zombies occupying cage traps. They need to be killed anyway.

1104.05.12 Once trading concludes, I approach the three squad leaders. Long story short, going through an uninhabited fortress won’t increase skills, so this expedition is only for plunder. There are still many treasures left over, so a second raid is ordered in mid-autumn. Once it’s completed, ScarredGlazes is far poorer:

The rest of the year passes peacefully, occupied mostly with crafting. Our clothing situation is becoming critical, and between cavern, smithy, and military developments, our clothing industry has fallen by the wayside. It’s about time we did something with all the rope reed and pig tail thread that’s been stockpiling by the looms.

1104.07.25 Migrant waves and internal births have brought TowerEnded’s population to its desired maximum of 120. Almost none of them have any sort of combat skills, though. Nonetheless, a competent spear-dwarf and a dabbling sword-dwarf are given command over nine other dwarves each. They’re left to train with copper weapons, while the rest of us endeavor to mine and melt enough copper and bronze for their future armors -- we ran out of the copper we mined already.

1104.11.16 It suddenly dawned on me that there’s been no hair or hide of any Forgotten Beasts in a year and a half. With the rate they usually show up at, we’re overdue at least a couple of them. This can only mean they’ve been traveling through the two caverns that are hidden from sight. For the sake of safety, we should deal with that problem. I can see ourselves in a few years, accidentally breaching a cave and get overrun by a dozen different monstrosities.

1104.12.23 Mayor Kel agreed, and we found the first cavern. It’s a basalt cave, as we expected, studded with many clear zircons. Veins of garnierite and kimberlite are visible under the mountain. Unfortunately, we’re also met with the grizzly sight of a slaughtered tribe of ant people, so we’re now sure that there’s a forgotten beast about.

We don’t find the beast itself, so we quickly wall up the breach, and wait for the turn of the year. It would be very unfortunate if we get trapped between an invasion above and a rampaging beast below.

1105.01.04 With the surface presumed safe for another three months, we dare descend into the caverns. Two axe squads and one crossbow squad quickly map out most of the cave, and find one unpleasant surprise: a downward passage connecting the first and second cavern. It’s not terribly impressive, just a single ramp connecting the floor of the first cave with the roof of the second one. The two caves are very close.

Then we get to glimpse the monster responsible for all this murder: Spos JackalMined the Crevice of Murk. This web-spitting pterosaur has only been recorded between 205 and 485, but it rampaged through the north-east map corner, where we have our ancestral lands. Then there was no trace of it until now. Perhaps it had descended towards the south, before coming here? Who knows.

We’re not fighting it yet; the downward ramp has been floored over just in time. Spos is trapped in the second cave, doubtlessly slaughtering every creature unfortunate enough to come across it. We’ll deal with it after we clear this cavern.

1105.03.05 A new Forgotten Beast has emerged in the first cavern: Caccast SpeckledFlank the Spidery Vice.

This winged, fire-breathing dimetrodon has been known for the entire history of the world, being first sighted as far back as year 12. It rampaged around the center of the world, having sparse but devastating attacks upon the civilizations therein. It was last seen 90-odd years ago, before arriving in TowerEnded to meet its doom in the shape of a masterwork bronze axe:

It didn’t kill anyone, but it did manage to set the dry cavern moss on fire. Cave operations are suspended until the blaze subsides.

1105.04.01 Pestrat’s ‘peace’ once again makes itself known. 87 invading zombies, split between kobolds and humans, arrive again from the western mountain slopes.

This time though, we won’t huddle underground. Our army, small as it may be, has been training tirelessly:

Our troops assemble outside, in front of the stairway that has served us for five years. The initial plan is to wait until the zombies get closer, then for axe squads to descend upon them. Crossbows can provide support, and the still-training spear- and sword-dwarves would stand by the gate, ensuring no stragglers make it in.

But the zombies move painfully slow, and it doesn’t take long for us to run out of patience. The axe-dwarves go ahead to meet them. The horde was slaughtered on the slopes of the mountain, doubtlessly to the annoyance of all haulers who will have to deal with this mess:

1105.05.17 Damn you, Kel, you utter fool of a mayor!

We’ve sold some armor and clothes ‘acquired’ from the zombie horde to the humans; it makes sense, they’re all humans in the end. But then this idiot decides to forbid the sale of leggings, after the trade concludes. Let’s keep in mind these are large leather leggings, that we can’t use in the first place, and we wouldn’t need anyway because we have better armor already. But no. Nine dwarves suffered beatings, because Kel cannot understand the concept of ‘size’. I get the feeling she won’t be mayor for much longer…

1105.11.01 An artifact has been stolen! The Onslaught of Fogs, an artifact copper breastplate, has been retrieved from ScarredGlazes and displayed in the metalworker’s Guild. Now it’s no longer there.

Suspicion immediately falls upon Usek PlayIvory, a hamster man who was resurrected in 722 by Rafeb LunchesDent as a crypt slayer, and served this master faithfully since. A quick look shows he doesn’t have the artifact in his possession:

A subtle interrogation, however, reveals the truth, and it’s worse than we thought: Usek has been weaving his webs for a year and a half, and a cowardly wannabe weaponsmith has succumbed to his plots:

A full investigation was then launched. Usek and his patsy Ezum have been dragged off to the guard captain’s office, and both flattered and threatened into revealing information.

Ezum appears to be just a useful idiot. She’s a barely-competent weaponsmith, who was removed from such duties due to her low level of skill. Also due to her low skills, she was drafted into the sword-dwarves squad. It’s a pity this has done nothing to give her any bit of spine.

Oddly, both parties still claim innocence, even after foolishly confessing to their crimes.

1105.11.04 The cyclops Stratab Judgedawns the Eternal Ink has arrived! This creature has lived since the year 84, and has rampaged through more places than mortals can count. There are 760 known rampages alone:

The investigation, and the furor that has gripped the fortress because of it, are put on hold, while the army scrambles to intercept the creature. We… really shouldn’t have worried:

In the commotion, Usek has grabbed the Onslaught of Fogs, and ran. We have lost one foreign artifact, and have gained a new one courtesy of the now-dead cyclops:

This bismuth bronze sword, Harshguises the Hungry Head, is now displayed in the metalcrafter’s Guild to replace the lost Onslaught of Fogs.

1105.12.03 Maga Deepsubtle the Spidery Menace of Curses has arrived in the third cavern, flying from the west into the largest lake.

This elusive beast has been very rarely seen, and previously kept mostly to the center of the world. We pay it little mind, as it’s safely contained behind walls.

1105.12.19 This elusive beast was not, in fact, safely contained behind walls:

I’ve lost three dear friends in this rampage, fellow founders of this fort. Kivish MineCaught, legendary miner, captain of the guard now, and expedition leader when we started out. Zasit ConfinedCopper, legendary miner and chief medical dwarf. Ezum WrungPaddled, legendary carpenter. Even in such an established fort these are devastating losses.

The beast dies soon after; a spear-dwarfette named Udib has delivered the killing blow. This does nothing to bring back the four dead dwarves, or ease the pain of their passing.

We manage to drag it to a butcher’s shop before its enormous bulk starts rotting. We will still have the last laugh:

And so ends year 1105: in tragedy.

ScarredGlazes was mentioned once before: it’s the fort that went from 10,000 goblins to 0 in less than a decade. The baffling part is that it was then completely abandoned, nobody owns it anymore, and looting it did not damage the relations between the Cudgel of Time and the Craft of Conjunctions (aka, ‘us’ and ‘the civ that annihilated the goblins who conquered ScarredGlazes’). Plus, as far as fort mode is concerned, nobody lives there. Legends mode says it’s inhabited by 7 goblins and 1 dwarf, and I assume they’re just squatters or some religious cult.

There was another Forgotten Beast killed in TowerEnded; it wasn’t included because dwarves haven’t found it yet. On 1104.08.04, Megob MoldSpiders the Hellish was struck down by Spos Jackalmined the Crevice of Murk. Megob MoldSpiders has long plagued the center-west of the world, terrorizing the dwarves of ScaldedBridged and MazeIrons between 73 and 506. Then it did nothing, until it arrived in TowerEnded to die.

The kimberlite in the first cave didn’t come with any diamonds; only opals and zircons :/

Ezum has been briefly renamed to ‘Guilty’ because the fort has 5 different Ezums. I didn’t know who to throw in the slammer.

Maga DeepSubtle’s rampage is really something else in Legends:

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 20, 2023, 07:52:58 pm »

Hmmm...yummy Forgotten beast.

At this rate we're no longer going to be in the Age of Goblins.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 28